• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got my PAL 3DS copy, i'd prefer to have gone for Wii U but local multiplayer takes priority, diving into the deep really makes me miss my twin sticks, I also really need to upgrade my 3DS one day to an XL, this game seems like it would benefit from that a lot.
And now it all begins again, I already miss not having my gear from Tri but oh well, a fresh start.

Mudo

Ok can anyone comment on load time difference in the retail disc vs. installing to a standard hard drive? I really want to take advantage of the Target B2G1 sale but this game would be part of it if I did. I am willing to forgo that and pay full price on the e-shop if the improvement is significant.

Air

Banned
I played multi with a friend yesterday and it was fun. The one thing I don't like about the game is that I feel like I'm still in tutorial mode.... After almost 10 hours. It's driving me crazy and it's insane that I had to spend almost two hours catching goldenfish. Everything else is fine. I was initially a switch axe user, but the great sword has me hooked because of the amount of damage it deals. Very good big monster weapon when you are by yourself. A question though:

1. I can't seem to convert any of my monster (large or otherwise) kills into resources. So I've been stuck on 75 resources for a while now. What gives?

It's also a little weird to me that you can pick up pigs and snuggle with them. Other tha that the grinding hasn't been too annoying which is good..

The game reminds me of my childhood and playing phantasy star online with my friends. So many good memories.

Neo C.

Got my copies. God, I'm like a noob, because I haven't played it for years. I'm still not there for the fish test, but wouldn't mind a subpar table as long as it isn't a cursed one.

Peru

1. I can't seem to convert any of my monster (large or otherwise) kills into resources. So I've been stuck on 75 resources for a while now. What gives?

You have to kill them in the moga forest on free hunt to convert them into resources. Go out through the village exit and not through quests. Then speak to the chief's son afterwards.

Emitan

Fuck you, Great Wroggi, fuck you! Every time I antidote he hits me with more poison ;~;

At least I went in with 10 Antidotes.

Mondriaan

Ok can anyone comment on load time difference in the retail disc vs. installing to a standard hard drive? I really want to take advantage of the Target B2G1 sale but this game would be part of it if I did. I am willing to forgo that and pay full price on the e-shop if the improvement is significant.

Supposing that you save about one second with faster zone changing, change areas about once every 100 seconds that you're playing the game, you'd have to play for 100 hours to break even, if it takes you one hour to download and install the game.

I guess it took me about five or six hours, so I'm looking at breaking even at the 500-600 hour mark. (Realistically if you just start the download in the morning and come back later, your real time expenditure might be more like 1 hour.)

Abandond

To fish you need to
wait for the bait to go underwater and as soon as it does, press A.

Spoilered incase someone wants to figure it out on their own.

Im liking switchaxe. I wish I could play ranged, I need to get the CPP.

Effect

I wish the text wasn't so small at times. :( Giving me memories of trying to play my Xbox 360 when I didn't have a HDTV.

Think I've decided on what weapons I'll focus on. Or try to it anyway. Sword/Shiled and Gunlance to start. Still deciding between the Great Sword and the Switch-Axe but leaning toward the axe.

Is the Switch-Axe just doing blade damage in both modes?

Gunlance ammo. It has it's own infinite supply right?

I tried it out and bought ammo only to have to sell it back after it looked like it wasn't being used. Just want to make sure. Didn't really think about it in the demo as it was a demo. Used that the most.

Crazy. I think I played for at least three hours last night (game came yesterday) before I completed my first guild quest. Was so busy just messing around the village and the port and running around the free hunt area of the island.

NeoRausch

Think he's got the cart not the download.

I think the cart still saves to the SD card.

yupp, the card also saves to SD. maybe I should look into a class 10. but I'm mainly gonna play this on Wiiu anyways.... once the transfers tool releases.

and OMG is swimming easier with the CPP XL!
oh, and it gives the system some nice grip! that will be handy on long playsessions,...in bed... or the poophouse.

Mupod

I wish the text wasn't so small at times. :( Giving me memories of trying to play my Xbox 360 when I didn't have a HDTV.

Think I've decided on what weapons I'll focus on. Or try to it anyway. Sword/Shiled and Gunlance to start. Still deciding between the Great Sword and the Switch-Axe but leaning toward the axe.

Is the Switch-Axe just doing blade damage in both modes?

Gunlance ammo. It has it's own infinite supply right?

I tried it out and bought ammo only to have to sell it back after it looked like it wasn't being used. Just want to make sure. Didn't really think about it in the demo as it was a demo. Used that the most.

The best way to find 'your' weapon is to try them all. It's advantageous to learn more than one as some fights are easier with one weapon than another.

SA's always doing cutting damage yes.

Gunlance does not actually use ammo, correct. You only need to buy/make ammo for bowguns.

Abandond

Ok, where do my pickaxes keep going? Pretty sure they are just dissapearing. Unless they only have one use?

Ok, they were in my gunners pouch. Bleh, never knew each wep had diff bags. No wonder Im always missing shit.

Morokh

Okay, I will jump in seriously tonight, few random questions :

- Does the clothes color in the character creation somehow alter the colors of the armors you get later in the game ?
- Do I have to stick with one weapon type because I'll learn new 'skills' with them or can I pretty much change at will, with the only difference being my personal mastery of it.
- How are armors / weapons classified in terms of power ? is there any choice at the highest Tier, or is it just : one armor leads to the next powerful monster that gives you the next one, and so on ...
I guess G-rang armors are the best ones ?

Letep

Started up on Wii U last night. Got through the "find iron ore" quest and saved. Great times already. Definitely feeling the grand scope of the game, even this early in. Overwhelming, but a good feeling.

I'm hoping the save transfer tool hit soon. I'm ready to continue my game on 3DS.

Effect

I've tried pretty much all of them at this point and those are the ones I like the best. Though I do plan on using a hammer at some point but trying to switch between to many at the moment might be to much. I won't make any progress if I take on to many. I want three at the moment to have some variety depending on the mission. The Sword and Shield when I simply want to be quick. The Gunlance for more defense. The Great Sword or Switch-Axe for damage. Even three might be to much and I might end up settling on just two for a while.

- Does the clothes color in the character creation somehow alter the colors of the armors you get later in the game ?
- Do I have to stick with one weapon type because I'll learn new 'skills' with them or can I pretty much change at will, with the only difference being my personal mastery of it.
- How are armors / weapons classified in terms of power ? is there any choice at the highest Tier, or is it just : one armor leads to the next powerful monster that gives you the next one, and so on ...
1. No. You can change clothes ingame.
2. You can pick any weapon ingame. There is no level up in the game, nor any kind of stat driven mastery / perk. You can change anytime outside quests. Yes your real life skill is the only weapon mastery gained by sticking to it.
3. There really isnt much tiering between types. Pick the weapon type you like best.

Mupod

No, I think you can even change those clothing colours later on. And there's some armor sets you can customize the colours on in a limited fashion.

There's no RPG element like that. You can switch freely between quests.

There's three ranks - low rank, high rank, and g-rank. G-rank is indeed the strongest.

Each rank has its own sets, generally one for each monster and a few made out of random crap like bugs or metals. Every armor set provides different skills, generally the harder monsters give sets with higher defense and such but not necessarily the skills you want. Armors are rated by 'rarity level' and for example low rank Diablos armor will have higher rarity than Qurupeco armor simply because Diablos becomes available later on (and is way harder).

Edit: For clarification, there will be low rank, high rank, and g-rank versions of armor sets unless the monster is not available in that rank. For example there's a Qurupeco set for every rank but there's no low rank Deviljho, because he's not available in that rank.

You can mix and match as well and this is usually the way to get the best possible armor. Although it might not be too pretty in the end. You can use whatever you want if you're good enough anyways, so if you don't need armor skills you can make a purely cosmetic set.

Just keep in mind that armor skills do not activate until you get 10 points in the skill. So mixing and matching early on generally will get you nothing. Start off just focusing on creating full sets.

DaBoss

1. No, in Tri, the later armors had customizable colors IIRC. It really is just a small difference, doesn't change the whole armors colors.
2. You can switch between any weapon you like.
3. There is Low-Rank, High-Rank, and G-Rank armor, with G-Rank being the best. Weapons don't really have tiers. You just upgrade them or forge them when you get the right materials. You can use the "Rarity" as a way to indicate its tiers, but it doesn't really say much.

Mutt

Neo Member
I don't know if spot pass is working. The manual says to talk to a courier, but I can't find him. Does it unlock after a certian quest?

Talk to the cat on the pier in Moga Village. Go to Multi. Talk to the next cat and he will ask you if you want to enable StreetPass.

Kyoufu

Can someone quickly punch these in?

Popfish x 5
Shining starfish x 1
Sleepyfish x 2
Whetfish x 4
Shining starfish x 1

Haul 2
Sushifish x 3
Sushifish x 3
Sushifish x 3

I keep getting gateway errors from my desktop. Both links. Thanks kindly

Am I the only one confused?

I just looked it up. He's trying to find out what Table he's on. There's a website you can go to and enter the fish and it'll tell you. I can't get the link to the website to work either

Oh okay. Thanks.

Bisonian

Can someone quickly punch these in?

Popfish x 5
Shining starfish x 1
Sleepyfish x 2
Whetfish x 4
Shining starfish x 1

Haul 2
Sushifish x 3
Sushifish x 3
Sushifish x 3

I keep getting gateway errors from my desktop. Both links. Thanks kindly

On it, back in a minute.
Update: No luck, those sites are hosed.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So I read the recent "Game Compare" article on the Wii U version and it seems that the game runs with an unlocked framerate. Is this true? It looked like it was running around 37/38 fps on average which just looks terrible due to lack of sync with the refresh rate. Is this actually the case?

It looks like it supports native 1080p as well, which is nice.

Palmer_v1

What's the best Wiki for this game, overall? The few I've found don't seem very intuitive, and seem to be a mix of data from other 3rd generation games. I don't care what MH3rd portable had. Just tell me what the earliest opportunity is to get Monster Bone L.

Fistwell

What's the best Wiki for this game, overall? The few I've found don't seem very intuitive, and seem to be a mix of data from other 3rd generation games. I don't care what MH3rd portable had. Just tell me what the earliest opportunity is to get Monster Bone L.
I like this one. I think the earliest you get large monster bones is barroth.

So I read the recent "Game Compare" article on the Wii U version and it seems that the game runs with an unlocked framerate. Is this true? It looked like it was running around 37/38 fps on average which just looks terrible due to lack of sync with the refresh rate. Is this actually the case?

It looks like it supports native 1080p as well, which is nice.
Frame rate was bad in the demo. 1080p does look nice. So crisp after playing the muddy wii game.

Mupod

http://www.mh3-ultimate.com/

It's a work in progress. The brady guide has up to date information if you can get a hold of that. Wish it wasn't digital only.

Nightz

So being a complete Monster Hunter noob, is there some guide online that I can look at to teach me the basics? I hear the game doesn't really teach everything to newer players.

So being a complete Monster Hunter noob, is there some guide online that I can look at to teach me the basics? I hear the game doesn't really teach everything to newer players.

The game does an okay job of showing you everything, and then you can delve deeper into whatever doesn't make sense by googling around. The tutorial/opening levels will at least get you to a place where you can tinker with the game's systems without much consequence.

Ohnonono

I played a ton of MHFU on psp a long time ago and loved it. If I get this game I will have to buy a 3DS in order to play it and will never have a WiiU to play multiplayer with. This is the OT so I know people in here like the game but honestly is it worth the price of the whole thing to play this with no online instead of buying MHFU and playing that again?

I'm sort of ripping through this game right now. I havent failed a mission once. Compared to when I first got into monster hunter, it took me a looong time before I got to fight the Lagiacrus.

Hoodbury

If you stick to the offline Moga village area to start out with and actually read the text the NPC's say, you should get a good enough grasp on the game. Then when you head online you can pick up the rest if there is anything left from other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom