• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

Getting ready for the release! Added a couple of you guys to my friends list, thanks for the requests. :)

If I didn't add you, it was probably because I didn't recognise your GAF name, sorry!

DaBoss

I've been reading/watching a lot of stuff from the earlier games and i'm pretty impressed with how they've been able to keep this series running for almost a decade using basically the same assets.

"Oh, a more powerful platform is coming out? Just jump over to the handhelds so we don't have to do any more work!"

It'll be interesting to see what an actual advance in tech could do for the series.

Nothing. Gameplay is the core of Monster Hunter. They would only get pretty graphics from stronger hardware.

man, is there a way to see if people on your friend's list messaged you without jumping into the miiverse? I just want to be notified rather and going in and out of the game.

Nothing. Gameplay is the core of Monster Hunter. They would only get pretty graphics from stronger hardware.

The only thing I can think of would be a seamless world, or less loading times.

EDIT: Then again, that would change the gameplay, because those loading gates can come into play when fleeing monsters.

Sure, but you literally can't think of anything that could be improved with better hardware? really?

The closest comparison I can think of would be Pokemon. It would look better with nicer hardware, but aside from graphical fidelity, the experience of the game changes more from changes in the design as opposed to tech.

DoubleTap

I can also see the transition to different areas becoming seamless. A notification that you're in a different area would pop up instead. But yeah mostly presentation/cosmetic.

I've been reading/watching a lot of stuff from the earlier games and i'm pretty impressed with how they've been able to keep this series running for almost a decade using basically the same assets.

"Oh, a more powerful platform is coming out? Just jump over to the handhelds so we don't have to do any more work!"

It'll be interesting to see what an actual advance in tech could do for the series.

If you think MH4 is using the same assets then your delusional. Far as am aware 3DS is a major upgrade for the portable series.

The idea this is why they are on handhelds is hilarious though.

Chuckpebble

OK, just messed around with my guild card. There needs to be a way for you guys to fully experience my hunter, pompadour and all, kickin' back in his leather armor over the shaka love background. Its glorious.

NeoRausch

That charm table site is still not working T_T

dWXgeRj.jpg

Filth

Sure, but you literally can't think of anything that could be improved with better hardware? really?

I'd like to see crazy weather effects. Like a thunder storm and trees being affected by the wind.
You know it's the little things that matter. Oh and the ocean having waves :x

Sanic

The idea this is why they are on handhelds is hilarious though.

I never suggested that was why. I'm well aware of the popularity of local multiplayer hunting. I'm simply saying it allowed them to keep using the same base asset quality. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 3DS version is a step up, but i'm hesitant to call it a generational leap.

The broken up zones are an aspect of the gameplay at this point, but I would think a seamless world with those some mechanics modified for it would benefit the series.

Kattbuss

I'm really on the fence about if I'm going to get this or not. I only played some of one of the PSP ones but I couldn't get past how the camera worked, monsters always getting behind me when I was awkwardly trying to reorient the camera with the d-pad.
I did like the game though and I would have kept playing if it wasn't for the camera issues.

Problem is, I'm only going to be able to play it on the 3DS since I have no plans for getting a WiiU, I also don't own a circle pad. I played the demo and the camera seems a bit better when you can use a button to instantly orient on a big monster. I'm still unsure though.

Anyone in the same boat as me? Is it playable on the 3DS?

I'm really on the fence about if I'm going to get this or not. I only played some of one of the PSP ones but I couldn't get past how the camera worked, monsters always getting behind me when I was awkwardly trying to reorient the camera with the d-pad.
I did like the game though and I would have kept playing if it wasn't for the camera issues.

Problem is, I'm only going to be able to play it on the 3DS since I have no plans for getting a WiiU, I also don't own a circle pad. I playes the demo and the camera seems a bit better when you can use a button to instantly orient on a big monster. I'm still unsure though.

It took me a bit of getting used to, but the camera eventually becomes predictable and manageable. Remember to tap the icon of any big monsters in the area as you said (I forget to do it sometimes) and you'll be okay. The virtual d-pad is not as good as the two sticks on the Wii version, but it works. Swimming sucks a bit though.

But yeah, it's so much better than the PSP versions it's not even funny.

Filth

Problem is, I'm only going to be able to play it on the 3DS since I have no plans for getting a WiiU, I also don't own a circle pad. I playes the demo and the camera seems a bit better when you can use a button to instantly orient on a big monster. I'm still unsure though.

You are able to move the camera and look at the monster all with one button press. It really helps if your speaking about the claw.

SoulFist

Man. This game is amazing! Played almost all day yesterday and partied with a good group and made it to HR2. If anyone wants to party up sometime and do any quests from HR 1 or 2, I'm always down. My Nnid is: Soulfist7. Ill have to add it to the spreadsheet when I get home.

kidko

Problem is, I'm only going to be able to play it on the 3DS since I have no plans for getting a WiiU, I also don't own a circle pad. I played the demo and the camera seems a bit better when you can use a button to instantly orient on a big monster. I'm still unsure though.

There's a feature just for you! When a monster (anything great jaggi or bigger) appears, you click a button on the touch screen which enables a targeting camera. After that is enabled, a single click of the L button will spin the camera around to face the monster. It's useful even on the Wii U with dual analogs!

Hoodbury

Did anyone get the nice cuddely bear hug from Arzuros?

He was so easy and went down in like 10 hits so I'm guessing not many people got this but it's kinda cool. He only got one hit on me and it was his special bear hug where he picked me up and was bear hugging the life out of me. The status bar comes up similar to when Rathian is eating you so you can get out of it with a dung bomb I'm guessing but it was too cute to end it early. I like hugs and it wasn't doing that much damage so we just hugged it out. lol.

He was so easy and went down in like 10 hits so I'm guessing not many people got this but it's kinda cool. He only got one hit on me and it was his special bear hug where he picked me up and was bear hugging the life out of me. The status bar comes up similar to when Rathian is eating you so you can get out of it with a dung bomb I'm guessing but it was too cute to end it early. I like hugs and it wasn't doing that much damage so we just hugged it out. lol.

Yeah, actually he pinned me down and I was kinda surprised by that.

On a side note, I feel like the Gigginox is tougher in this game. it's moves seem changed a bit and I have a hard time dodging it. Maybe its time to learn the Bow. It seems like it would be better to fight from a distance...

Chuckpebble

Yeah, 'cept he threw me really hard afterwards and started eating all of my honey.

Kattbuss

It took me a bit of getting used to, but the camera eventually becomes predictable and manageable. Remember to tap the icon of any big monsters in the area as you said (I forget to do it sometimes) and you'll be okay. The virtual d-pad is not as good as the two sticks on the Wii version, but it works. Swimming sucks a bit though.

But yeah, it's so much better than the PSP versions it's not even funny.

Alright then, I think I'm in! Now if it would only go up on the EU Eshop!

Been fishing for goldenfish in area 10 of Moga Woods for 35 minutes... only a single goldenfish has appeared. Going to fail the quest at this rate.

Kazerei

Banned
Been fishing for goldenfish in area 10 of Moga Woods for 35 minutes... only a single goldenfish has appeared. Going to fail the quest at this rate.

You can make goldenfish bait by combining firefly + snakebee larva. Or, just look for yellow-colored fish. If you don't see any, jump in the water to scatter the fish, and some new ones will spawn.

Edit: whoops, that's the old combo. See below.

Combine Mega Fishing Fly (use bug nets to find these) and Snakebee Larva (found where you get honey) to make Goldenfish Bait. When you throw that into the fishing spot all the other fish will swim away and a bunch of Goldenfish will show up.

anyone else loves the HUD-free gaming on the main screen. its so beautiful <3

I do. I didn't think I would like looking at the Pad for life and map but I'm comfortable with it now and quite enjoy it. It makes the overscan much less noticeable too.

I keep lock-on and items on the big screen though.

Mupod

Managed to get two Volvidons down in the last half of my lunch hour - glad to see he's something I can farm extremely quickly. I fought him like once in P3rd but I didn't remember anything about him. Need that armor though, I'm still using vendor crap.

Does he even have any parts to break off? I tried hitting everything, even pitfall KO'd him to hit the top part of his shell which seemed to feel 'squishier'. But I didn't notice anything break.

NeoRausch

I still can't find out if landed on the right charm table because the site is getting hammered :(

my game is sitting at the fishing screen for a few hours now.

at this rate the page goes up and i land on one of the cursed tables....

91SFdKk.jpg

While the charm table searcher is down, does anyone know an alternative to checking your charm table?

THAT! i want to know too!

i have no problem going trough list and marking stuff off.....just somehow.
are there really only two pages for this?!?!

Hoodbury

Forget Negate Stun, I went for Attack Up M. :D

Same. Hint for those wanting to also do this, you need might berries to create the attack decoration and you can get those in the Tundra which you don't unlock that early in the offline mode so you can just go to the online area and there is a paw pass quest to the tundra in the 1 star quests.

Kazerei

Banned
I played a ton of MHFU on psp a long time ago and loved it. If I get this game I will have to buy a 3DS in order to play it and will never have a WiiU to play multiplayer with. This is the OT so I know people in here like the game but honestly is it worth the price of the whole thing to play this with no online instead of buying MHFU and playing that again?

MH4 will have online multiplayer, and I'd say there's a good chance of it being released in the west. 3DS is basically the new MH platform, so you might as well hop on board.

Combine Mega Fishing Fly (use bug nets to find these) and Snakebee Larva (found where you get honey) to make Goldenfish Bait. When you throw that into the fishing spot all the other fish will swim away and a bunch of Goldenfish will show up.

Been using goldenfish bait the entire time. I didn't know you could scatter the fish and have a new school appear. I'll try that.

Unless you have a ton of Goldfish bait, I doubt it. The only kind of fish you attract using it are Goldfish. Make sure you're using the item button rather than the action button or you won't actually use the goldfish bait.

(Whoops, missed the quote. Talking to you Goldsoundz!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom