• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm really loving the hunting horn. I used to be a hammer use but I see no reason not to use the hunting horn. It does nearly as much damage (in fact, the starting hunting horn does more damage than the starting hammer), has some useful support skills, and most importantly, it has a seemingly much better move set than the hammer. Am I missing something here? The hunting horn seems too good. Not that I'm complaining. ;D

Ohnonono

MH4 will have online multiplayer, and I'd say there's a good chance of it being released in the west. 3DS is basically the new MH platform, so you might as well hop on board.

This is sound advice me thinks. I have a Vita so even if some kind of otherworld shit happens I have that covered.

blackflag

MH4 will have online multiplayer, and I'd say there's a good chance of it being released in the west. 3DS is basically the new MH platform, so you might as well hop on board.

I really hope it does come out for home console/s though. I really prefer playing it like that. Especially with how great Ultimate looks.

Of course I'll play it either way.

Mupod

I'm really loving the hunting horn. I used to be a hammer use but I see no reason not to use the hunting horn. It does nearly as much damage (in fact, the starting hunting horn does more damage than the starting hammer), has some useful support skills, and most importantly, it has a seemingly much better move set than the hammer. Am I missing something here? The hunting horn seems too good. Not that I'm complaining. ;D

I switched too after all the fun I had with the demo HH, been doing very well with it so far.

As for downsides - it doesn't have the raw power of the golfswing, none of its moves are anywhere close. Its 'super pound' is not as strong as the hammer's, although near as I can tell the hitbox is the same. Hammer's got higher KO values too but the HH makes up for it by being able to hit faster and more consistently thanks to its moveset. Which is actually kinda more important due to how KO works. You can offset the lower damage if you get a horn with attack up buffs as well. One disadvantage is that you burn through weapon sharpness much faster than a hammer, which was really annoying until I made this Lagi horn which has lots of green sharpness.

I also like that ALL of the HH's moves have their own uses, including the recital attacks. The upswing is a little awkward but extremely good for KOing. Even the stupid hilt stab is good for getting a note out quickly. Learning the songs is a lot easier than I expected too.

I'll probably switch around to different weapons eventually but for now I'd be quite comfortable taking this online. Whenever Capcom decides to let me.

Unless you have a ton of Goldfish bait, I doubt it. The only kind of fish you attract using it are Goldfish. Make sure you're using the item button rather than the action button or you won't actually use the goldfish bait.

(Whoops, missed the quote. Talking to you Goldsoundz!)

Damn, guess I wasn't using the bait then. Quest is done now. Thanks for the responses.

derwalde

for those who play MH with sound from the gamepad. which audio settings do you use (stereo or surround)? are you noticing any difference?

Dunkelgrau

In the eShop of Europe they say now, that the game is available - but it isnt (Wii U). Anyone else has found the Download-Button? Otherwise we have to wait until midnight.

NeoRausch

FUCKING FINALLY!!!!

Table 10 confirmed!

IicmdNM.jpg

New player here. What is the easiest way to make Armor sets for an inexperienced player?

Beat up on easy monsters such as Great Jaggi or Azuros. Keep hunting them until you have enough materials to make the full armor set, then upgrade each piece of the armor with armor spheres to improve your defense.

You can also craft an armor set that only requires ores and stuff, so just mine and gather in pretty much every map.

Doorman

I think the two balance each other out pretty well. No time lost playing music means the hammer can focus more solely on consistent offense. In addition, the horn's upswings can make for some odd angles of attack sometimes, whereas the main hammer swings run straight-forward, whuch makes it easier to target headshots on monsters with some degree of body coverage (like Qurupeco or Rathian, where you're likely to tag a wing or leg before the hit van register on the head). I think the horn is a bit trickier to use effectively, but it's very fun for me.

We need more cross-over with whisky-GAF!

Thanks bros, will look at the Wii U copy.

I played the demo using the gamepad and found it slightly cumbersome.

Is the Wii U pro controller markedly better? I'd have to buy that as well if so.

Mupod

New player here. What is the easiest way to make Armor sets for an inexperienced player?

Just stick with making full sets early on, and use decorations to get rid of 'negative' skills. Remember that skills don't activate until you get 10 points towards it, and some skills have multiple 'levels'. For example critical eye has a +2 and +3 level at +15 and +20, respectively.

Jaggi's a good set to start with. Barroth looks nice for lancing.

You might not see all the set pieces available after your first kill - armor pieces are tied to certain drops off the monster. Just try and break/cut off all the parts you can during the fight. Capturing can often help you get rare drops.

Is the Wii U pro controller markedly better? I'd have to buy that as well if so.

The GamePad controls are awful for me, but because of the button and stick placement. That's why I'm still using the Classic Controller Pro from the Wii.

dubq

Does anyone know where I can get furnishings for my house from? The cat that lives with me said I could get them from the Argosy guy.. but he only has standard items.

I think the Pad is fine. Just give it a few more hunts and you'll be used to it. I personally play with the Pro Controller though, since I played Tri Wii with the Classic Controller.

Raide

Does anyone know where I can get furnishings for my house from? The cat that lives with me said I could get them from the Argosy guy.. but he only has standard items.

Had to fish deeper and harder. Plus trading with him becomes important for those better items.

I know you can get some of them trading with the Argosy. Don't know if there are other ways, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Mupod

Rare trades. When you take down a large monster in free hunt you'll sometimes get an item with a star rating, like a great jaggi skull. You can then trade this to the captain for an item with an equivalent star rating, and he has things like furnishings/pig clothes/double BBQ spit.

dubq

I bought it just for this game.. I really like it, personally. To me it feels like they took the best of what both PS3 and 360 have to offer with their controllers and then added a Ninty twist on it. Oh, and the battery life is something ridiculous like 80 hours. Good times!

Rare trades. When you take down a large monster in free hunt you'll sometimes get an item with a star rating, like a great jaggi skull. You can then trade this to the captain for an item with an equivalent star rating, and he has things like furnishings/pig clothes/double BBQ spit.

Cool! Thanks man!

Robin64

Game turned up today, a day early (thanks, ShopTo), and I just started playing.. My first ever Monster Hunter game! Wish me luck!

(Also, ouch at that text size)

SHarris78

just put this on for the forst time and checked for dlc, now its stuck on the 'don't turn off your console when connected to the internet' message and has been for 10 mins.

Should I do exactly what its telling me not too??

Fewr

Try to get used to gamepad. In a month or so, you´ll get to revel in the greatness of off-tv play.

Hoodbury

MMMMMM. SOOOOO TAAAASTY
I challenge anyone to not tap their foot to the song while it plays. It can't be done I tell you. Even when I do 10 in a row I'm still tapping or swinging my feet to the beat on the 10th one. Even now just thinking about it while I'm typing this message is making me feet go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom