• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

I cut the tail and broke the horns of a Lagiacrus and randoms online got mad when I captured it ;~;

I totally forgot it was a kill quest

sgjackson

Just creamed Barroth with dual blades. It's harder to cut tails than it is with GS but if I'm diligent I can usually get it near the end of fights - I cut quite a few tails/frills when they run off to sleep with a couple of well-timed demon dances or combos.

What kind of armor are people using with DS? I'm using Wroggi right now because of Razor Sharp helping a ton with DS's sharpness issues, but I'm curious if this is the best approach.

Hoodbury

So before I get more in depth online, I'm working on building up my gear. Decided on an Azuro armor set with Jaggid Shotels & Jaggi Faulds, upgraded all to hell. Thinking of something else for the headgear thought -- how important is head armor overall?

Are you going for looks or does this mix matched set give any skills? From first guess with how normal LR gear worked mix and matching usually gave no skills.

TheExodu5

Banned
I convinced one of my friends to buy a 3DS for this. We are going to local multiplayer the shit out of this game.

Are the star ratings equivalent across single and multiplayer? Meaning, is a 1 star quest in Moga around the same as a 1 star quest in the harbor?

I'd say 1 star harbor quests are equivalent to 3 star Moga quests. Not sure how it scales beyond that.

bitoriginal

On the 3DS version, if I add someone's friend code, can I play the game with them online or is it strictly local multiplayer in the same room kinda thing?

Ridley327

That's dumb, caps are better and you still complete the quest.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit frustrated to see so many people go HAM on these monsters before anyone gets the chance to even mention that they have traps and tranqs. Poor Barioth didn't even make it out of the area we found him in with how relentless the other players were.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think the two balance each other out pretty well. No time lost playing music means the hammer can focus more solely on consistent offense. In addition, the horn's upswings can make for some odd angles of attack sometimes, whereas the main hammer swings run straight-forward, whuch makes it easier to target headshots on monsters with some degree of body coverage (like Qurupeco or Rathian, where you're likely to tag a wing or leg before the hit van register on the head). I think the horn is a bit trickier to use effectively, but it's very fun for me.

We need more cross-over with whisky-GAF!

Maybe tonight can be a whisky and Monster Hunter night. ^_^

muu

This is exactly right. I would add that the change in color happens right after the entire tune plays through once. It's like the tune ends --> one beat --> bone changes.

So before I get more in depth online, I'm working on building up my gear. Decided on an Azuro armor set with Jaggid Shotels & Jaggi Faulds, upgraded all to hell. Thinking of something else for the headgear thought -- how important is head armor overall?

Grilling is much easier if you play it by ear. Pretend the cooking muaic is 4 measures of a 4/4 jingle, count 3 beats (or 2, I forgot and I haven't bothered to cook any meat this go around yet) after the last note of the song and press A. If you're even slightly rhythmically inclined (if not go get yourself a copy of Rhythm Heaven), you will never under/overcook your meat again.

Hoodbury

Grilling is much easier if you play it by ear. Pretend the cooking muaic is 4 measures of a 4/4 jingle, count 3 beats (or 2, I forgot and I haven't bothered to cook any meat this go around yet) after the last note of the song and press A. If you're even slightly rhythmically inclined (if not go get yourself a copy of Rhythm Heaven), you will never under/overcook your meat again.

You should also upgrade to the double BBQ set as soon as you can. It's a different beat and timing to learn but you can zoom through 10 of them lickety split. Just hold down the R button while doing it(the run button)

nubbe

http://www.vooks.net/rumour-monster-hunter-3-ultimate-facing-stock-issues-in-australia/

Awesome MH3U insert!

xYUgXOO.jpg

http://tinycartridge.com/post/45924501730/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-insert-for-3ds-boxes

every game should do this... shit

DoubleTap

A lot of talk about charm tables and results but how, where and when do I need to do this?
Can't find charm table mentioned in the e-guide either.

I understand the results don't mean much to a newb like me but I want to get it out of the way. What happens if I don't do it?

Thanks in advance.

Nevermind found explanation here.

I have been there now 10 times I think. I have not gotten a single one...

The ship captain at Moga Village has them for trade and require a low commodity item. Have you tried capturing bugs at the Flooded Forest and Sandy Plains? I've gotten them there as well.

The Goldenfish Bait recipe changed. It takes a Snakebee larva and a Mega Fly Lure or something similar to that.

Mega Fishing Fly, which can also be acquired at area 4 of Moga Forest.

I got a StreetPass notification (the green dot) for MH, but I can't seem to find anything in the game itself. I checked for a guild card, but I still don't have any. Am I missing something? I wondered if maybe I turned sharing off by accident, but now can't find where I would toggle that on/off.

Jarsonot

Yeesh, had a ton of pages to catch up on, been playing a lot!

This game is indeed awesome. I'm on the three-star village quests, and slowed down a bit on questing to explore some areas a little more and look into upgrading stuff.

Been using the bow, but figure I need to switch to a tail-cutting weapon before too long. Don't wanna miss out on those drops and don't want to have A) a beginner weapon and B) no skillz.

Upgraded my bow to a hunter III and now the next upgrade gives me a couple of choices... Decisions decisions...

Also, I got a charm that was called Poison C+ or maybe C Poison+, what's that?

(Also got an autogard +10 charm, which is making me think lance/gunlance will be a good idear for tail-cutting!)

I got a StreetPass notification (the green dot) for MH, but I can't seem to find anything in the game itself. I checked for a guild card, but I still don't have any. Am I missing something? I wondered if maybe I turned sharing off by accident, but now can't find where I would toggle that on/off.

Go to the multiplayer harbor and talk to one of the cats and he should have a card for you to look at.

blackflag

This game is the only thing making me want to skip the gym in over a year.....I won't do it...must resist.

I'll be better this weekend when I actually have more than an hour to play per day. Also getting the 3ds version today and that'll help for sure.

burgerdog

A gray square appeared in the top right side of the screen and I have no idea what it means, it looks like a monster with a white ? on top of it.

DaBoss

Sure, but you literally can't think of anything that could be improved with better hardware? really?

Well I guess these 2 mentioned the one thing that would change I guess, a shorter loading time. I tend to forget about that since it doesn't last that long lol.

The only thing I can think of would be a seamless world, or less loading times.

EDIT: Then again, that would change the gameplay, because those loading gates can come into play when fleeing monsters.
I can also see the transition to different areas becoming seamless. A notification that you're in a different area would pop up instead. But yeah mostly presentation/cosmetic.

Doczu

Question to euro-gaffers: The pal version of Monster Hunter for the 3DS is in English, no matter where bought? My good friend comes for easter from Germany and he could buy me this game (there is literally no chance of obtaining the game in Poland, other than importing), but i fear that it would be just in german.

Ridley327

Making a trap. I can tell when I have him weak enough.

They mentioned it in a couple of posts above, but you need a Trap Tool + Net (for a Pitfall Trap) or Thunderbug (for a Shock Trap). Both types have their advantages and disadvantages to one another, but for a smaller monster like Arzurus, a Shock Trap would be best, since they'll provide a bigger target for using a Tranq Bomb versus pitfalling them.

gunstarhero

Just picked up the WiiU version after playing the demo - can't wait to start playing tonight.

I was a little surprised there was no softcover or hardcover version of the strategy guide! Is it really PDF only?

Doorman

A gray square appeared in the top right side of the screen and I have no idea what it means, it looks like a monster with a white ? on top of it.

That's the indicator for the Target Camera. Basically it means there's a large monster in the area somewhere. Once it spots you, the icon will change to whatever the monster's icon is. Tapping ZR will add a crosshair to the icon, meaning the camera will swing to center on them if you press L, rather than having it center behind your character as the default.

Question to euro-gaffers: The pal version of Monster Hunter for the 3DS is in English, no matter where bought? My good friend comes for easter from Germany and he could buy me this game (there is literally no chance of obtaining the game in Poland, other than importing), but i fear that it would be just in german.

Usually, EU games are multilingual. It should change depending on the language that you've chosen on your 3DS. I don't see why it would be different here.

Kazerei

Banned

The NA version has multiple languages, so the EU version must too. There's English, French, Spanish, German, and Italian.

Still waiting for the charm table site to be up so I can confirm I'm not in a cursed table before I get any deeper into the experience, as I decided to play with a devil may care attitude and not do any of the initial prep.

I love some of the quick options the touchscreen allows, like the instant crafting with the push of a button. Feels like they streamlined a few of the more annoying things I remember from Tri.

Ridley327

You can straight up buy Tranquilizer, too, which makes that a lot easier than using the farm. You only ever need two or three tranqs for a capture anyway, so it's not like you need to have a bountiful surplus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom