• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

upandaway

Did both Gold Rathian and Silver Rathalos today (25 minutes each, first time with them though). Holy crap! I can't believe I just witnessed actually hard Rathian and Rathalos. "wyvern fires and drop claws? upandaway, you don't know wyvern fires and drop claws" :lol

The game's getting to a stage where I don't really want to solo it anymore. Mid-HR8 quests are such that even if I do extremely well with practice, they'll still take upwards of 30-40 minutes. It's pretty much just any 3 or 4 random monsters one after another, so I dunno. It definitely feels like something you'd play with one other player (4 players usually just break the quest completely).

Chuckpebble

Haha, wow game, you're a dick. Crimson Qurupeco tried to Deviljho me. Thank God for dung bombs.

Unfortunately, I have the 3DS version and I have no clue how to use Bowguns.

I should start a new game just to get a fresh start on weapons I haven't tried out.

I hated those fights on the Wii game too. I lucked out this time in that I got a handicraft +5 talisman that I could pair with Goldbeard's arms and legs. I had what I needed after just 2 hunts and washed my hands of him. Now that I'm HR 7, I suppose I could go back and farm him very easily, but that gear just isn't that big a deal for me.

Starting off G-Rank, the sharpness +1 was really helpful though, as lots of monsters have tougher hides. There's a fugly mish mash set you can assemble in early G-Rank to get that skill though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-sd6iD3DkQ

tuffy

Did both Gold Rathian and Silver Rathalos today (25 minutes each, first time with them though). Holy crap! I can't believe I just witnessed actually hard Rathian and Rathalos. "wyvern fires and drop claws? upandaway, you don't know wyvern fires and drop claws" :lol
Paralyzing either of them in midair is very satisfying, though. First it causes a flinch and the monster lands with a hard thump. Then the monster wriggles around on the ground for some free hits. Finally, after shrugging off the hard landing, it instantly transitions to being paralyzed for even more free hits.
The game's getting to a stage where I don't really want to solo it anymore. Mid-HR8 quests are such that even if I do extremely well with practice, they'll still take upwards of 30-40 minutes. It's pretty much just any 3 or 4 random monsters one after another, so I dunno. It definitely feels like something you'd play with one other player (4 players usually just break the quest completely).
When I spent almost 40 minutes trying to bring down Abyssal Lagiacrus and used up all my ammo - and all my combines for more ammo - before abandoning, that's when I decided it'd be better off with a group. But at least all that practice kept me from being useless the next time around.

isual

I just unlocked high rank. haven't solo'd much of the guild quests.

is it just me, or is this game easier than mhfu ? I'm saying this because 1. experience has taught me to go for affinity based weapons, 2. I'm just doing the village quests, and the monsters aren't really hard as long as I have affinity weapons that work against them.

also, why are the damage numbers in the weapons so low when compared to mhfu ?????

in retrospect, i went back to playing mhfu, and holy crap, I can't kill akantor even though i already have 3/5 of his armor pieces. I remember killing him with narga longsword due to the high crits it does...but dayuum.

anyways, i was currently farming mats for the dragon longsword. got enough from lao shan and teostra then upgraded, got enough horns from ash lao, and now i'm just farming lunastra. still a good game after a year in stasis.

upandaway

Only needed 1 Rath Gleem to upgrade either my lance or GS, so I reluctantly did another S. Rathalos (it went badly)... and didn't get any. I'm pretty much done with solo, I guess, I'll get the last few lashes and Hvy Amber Tusks that I need and it's a wrap.

Before I forget posting about it: I plan on playing online this weekend, hope some of you guys join in.

tuffy

Silver Rathalos and Gold Rathian have become my "go to" monsters to hunt online when I'm bored, so I'd be happy to help out with as many of those as anyone needs. It's a pretty challenging fight and there's never a shortage of people looking to put together Golden Lune sets.

Brick

Hey everyone. I just got a 3DS XL and picked this game up after hearing so much about it over the years. Haven't been able to start playing it yet, but I was wondering about this guide. I saw it mentioned, and was wondering if it was worth the $9 to pick up, or if it's better to just jump in and figure things out?

Chuckpebble

Hey everyone. I just got a 3DS XL and picked this game up after hearing so much about it over the years. Haven't been able to start playing it yet, but I was wondering about this guide. I saw it mentioned, and was wondering if it was worth the $9 to pick up, or if it's better to just jump in and figure things out?

I haven't personally read it, but I hear its a really good general introduction to the series. The pair behind it has a video series on youtube that you may also be interested in. It's called My Fair Hunter. Roy (the author) trains Sarah (the illustrator) through Monster Hunter Tri and up into this game.

Brick

I haven't personally read it, but I hear its a really good general introduction to the series. The pair behind it has a video series on youtube that you may also be interested in. It's called My Fair Hunter. Roy (the author) trains Sarah (the illustrator) through Monster Hunter Tri and up into this game.

So, I both picked up the guide and watched a few of those videos, and I feel like I know more or less what is going on now. I was only able to play for about an hour last night, so I still haven't gotten to any of the big fights, but I am enjoying what I've played so far.

Toxi

Banned
Oh my God, Pink Rathian is a bitch. That swing-around tail sweep is horrifying, the fire bite ALWAYS gets you if you try to move to her right, and when she's in Rage Mode I spend most of the time just running to her left and hoping I don't get insta-charged.

I don't even want to think of how dangerous the Rathalos variant on the cover art is.

Funny enough, Plesioth, the big bad urgent quest, was a piece of cake.
Heh, will do.

tuffy

Oh my God, Pink Rathian is a bitch. That swing-around tail sweep is horrifying, the fire bite ALWAYS gets you if you try to move to her right, and when she's in Rage Mode I spend most of the time just running to her left and hoping I don't get insta-charged.
I'm pretty sure the raged Rathian charges always come in threes. So she'll charge once, rotate to find you, then charge again, and so on. Just gotta keep rolling to the side until the third one's finished, then move in for some hits.

Black Diablos does the same thing when raged, but her three charges are more like a speeding truck full of horns and fury.
I don't even want to think of how dangerous the Rathalos variant on the cover art is.
If you can handle regular high rank Rathalos, you'll be able to handle the Azure one. Plus, its armor is one of the better high rank sets around, so it's worth farming it for parts. I spent so much time capturing it for rubies that it's become my "practice monster" ever since, whenever I want to try out some new weapon or armor set.

tuffy

My fire resistance is positive and red. Is that good?

I hate brachy :(
The higher the better since it cuts down fire damage by about that percentage. Once you get to 20 points and it the number turns red, you'll be immune to fireblight. That means you can't be set on fire so you won't have to roll around to put it out.
Fingers crossed for a Monster Hunter 4 U!
If Nintendo brings over 4, I wouldn't be surprised if they pitch in for a MH4U too.

The higher the better since it cuts down fire damage by about that percentage. Once you get to 20 points and it the number turns red, you'll be immune to fireblight. That means you can't be set on fire so you won't have to roll around to put it out.

If Nintendo brings over 4, I wouldn't be surprised if they pitch in for a MH4U too.

Oh alright. Will this help with Brachy at all? I feel like Slime should be an element now.

Chuckpebble

My fire resistance is positive and red. Is that good?

I hate brachy :(

Yeah, that means you take less damage and best of all you won't get that element's particular blight effect. There's also yellow, I think that just makes the blight last a shorter amount of time, but it still helps a lot with damage.

I hate Brachydios too.

Since Brachy's armor has huge flame resistance, I'm assuming its explosions cause flame damage according to the game's armor logic. So it should help.

Thats what I thinking/hoping. I wish it meant I was immune to fire ;D Just run up to him while he does that Wave Blast Attack, . .

Edit: Capped brachy first try only fainted once! That long jump he does in rage mode is horrible.

upandaway

I'm still debating going online just to kill a ton of high rank Gobuls. But I lost my power brick while cleaning.
Nothing to debate! You could go through gobuls in 2-3 minutes with a full G-rank team (on G-rank, high rank would be even less). That guy is such a pain to fight.

Taking a lunch break now. I'll probably keep on going to the upper servers till someone posts here that they wanna play, I just finished all the solo farming I'll ever need to do

Oxx

MH3U is giving Pokemon serious competition for my attention.

I don't remember being this into Tri. Maybe they smoothed some of the progression out for this game, or it's just me being slightly better informed than last time.

I think I have reached the same point that I abandoned Tri, so we'll have to see how far I'll take Ultimate.

upandaway

That was really fun (and lots of progress too). Lucent Narga is insane. Thanks for the help ya'll.
Dunno how much I'll play in the next few weekends thanks to AA5, but it'll probably work out.

Totally! It was cool running into someone from gaf by chance! I always try to get groups going here but dont succeed.

Anyone going to Capcom Monster Hunter Community College on sat.?

Doombear

Anyone going to Capcom Monster Hunter Community College on sat.?

Would love to, sadly it is about 650 miles away. =P

Spent most of the weekend clearing Port quests for the medals. Cleared Low Rank and have a couple left on High then I will pick away at the G's I have left.

Had no luck with pickups that wanted to do Hallowed Jhen, so I have been working on soloing him when I am feeling like it. So far no luck with my HBG set up:

Eclipse Gambit + Rath Soul Z/Selene Z (hands)
Critical Eye+3, HGE, Pierce Up, Load Up

I think I can do it, just need a bit more practice and maybe upgrade the pieces for a bit more DEF. I know it isn't going to matter much, but if it lets me let Cha-Cha/Kayamba heal me because I have a bit more DEF when I get hit.. then great.

I have repelled him twice with my SA set at least:
Brisant Demolisher + Rath Soul Z/Hyuga Prime (body)
Critical Eye+3, HGE, Mind's Eye, Bombardier

but I want that kill!

It is a really fun fight, remembering when to be ready to Gong/Bomb/Balista... and it can go sideways in a hurry in stage 2 if he decides to go bonkers with the body slams.

Toxi

Banned
Jhen took me forever to figure out. I finally realized that the gong and ballista binder were meant to stop his attacks and that the dragonator was supposed to be used when he rammed the ship (And later on when he gets close).

Still only managed to repel him. I was screaming bloody murder and hacking at him with an Amber Slash Switch Axe after I'd used up all my barrel bombs and projectiles, but that fat whale wouldn't die.

I'm pretty sure Gobul is where I abandoned Tri

He's still a pain in this one.
Have you tried using Sonic Bombs? They instantly force it out of the ground. Also, if you find it in an area and it isn't aware of you (Music isn't playing), you can fish it out of the water with a frog and deal some heavy damage on the globe and tail to break them. Finally, you can roll through the globe flashbang when the screen turns white and avoid the stun, although it's not easy.

I find it a good idea to also bring a Shock Trap; Gobul takes a lot less time if you shock trap him after he limps to another area (And shock traps work underwater!).

tuffy

It is a really fun fight, remembering when to be ready to Gong/Bomb/Balista... and it can go sideways in a hurry in stage 2 if he decides to go bonkers with the body slams.
I discovered this for myself after being disconnected pretty early into an online hunt.

I needed a single Ghostly Quartz which I mined right away, so I decided to see it through even after everyone dropped out since I knew I'd keep it even if the quest failed. I didn't even try to kill it since I hadn't brought nearly enough ammo combines; I just kept spamming ship weaponry every time an item became available. And though the ship took a few body slams, I was pleasantly surprised to wind up with a simple repel and a few extra Hallowed Jhen parts for my effort.

Though with better preparation and the Narga HBG, it should be possible to kill it solo in a reasonable amount of time.

Oxx

Have you tried using Sonic Bombs? They instantly force it out of the ground. Also, if you find it in an area and it isn't aware of you (Music isn't playing), you can fish it out of the water with a frog and deal some heavy damage on the globe and tail to break them. Finally, you can roll through the globe flashbang when the screen turns white and avoid the stun, although it's not easy.

I find it a good idea to also bring a Shock Trap; Gobul takes a lot less time if you shock trap him after he limps to another area (And shock traps work underwater!).

Thanks for the tips. I suppose the first time is always the worst time. New ideas and better equipment will make it less irritating.

Brick

So, I took down my first "big" monster last night, the Great Jaggie, and it was a blast. I know that it's considered really easy, but for me it was really tense and fun (also, I finally found out what a Paintball was for). I can't stop thinking about this game, even though I'm only three hours in.

I'm looking to start playing around with other weapons, but I don't want to put resources into upgrading something that I'm terrible at. What's the next logical weapon choice from sword and shield?

upandaway

So, I took down my first "big" monster last night, the Great Jaggie, and it was a blast. I know that it's considered really easy, but for me it was really tense and fun (also, I finally found out what a Paintball was for). I can't stop thinking about this game, even though I'm only three hours in.

I'm looking to start playing around with other weapons, but I don't want to put resources into upgrading something that I'm terrible at. What's the next logical weapon choice from sword and shield?
Definitely play around with all the weapons, just use them straight out of the box if you don't wanna upgrade. Though the first upgrade for all of them is very cheap on money/resources.

S&S is fine but I haven't yet found someone who, with some practice with other weapons, is still the best with S&S. A different weapon will almost definitely get you better performance, as long as you give it a chance and it fits you.

Brick

Definitely play around with all the weapons, just use them straight out of the box if you don't wanna upgrade. Though the first upgrade for all of them is very cheap on money/resources.

S&S is fine but I haven't yet found someone who, with some practice with other weapons, is still the best with S&S. A different weapon will almost definitely get you better performance, as long as you give it a chance and it fits you.

Ok, so in that case I should play around with each while taking down a few more Great Jaggies for my Jaggie armor set, I think. Thanks for the advice!

I tried the Dual Blades after Sword and shield, but than I moved into Axe which I loved but I like knowing my responsibilities in a fight, and I really did not like the switch to sword for the tail, and back to axe for the head. So I moved to Hammers, and honestly it was the best fit for me, I found that I like knowing exactly what to go for in a fight, with hammer it is a clear line go for the head, and don't throw (lift) anyone. So in short I guess just try them all and think about your playstyle.

Mileena

Banned
so which of my niggas still plays? a friend of mine is picking this up finally so I think I'm gonna get back into it soon. I already forgot the controls!

Top Bottom