• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Leezard

So if you're on a quest where you have to capture a monster and you run out of traps, you're pretty much boned, right? I can't catch this damn Qurupeco even though it looks like it's weak and tired.
Indeed. You need a trap, or in the worst case materials to build a trap.

Elija2

Indeed. You need a trap, or in the worst case materials to build a trap.

I guess I should bring some extras then, huh. Kinda bullshit that they only give you 1 on most quests. You can't even pick it up if you misplace it. Can't say that I'm a fan of the capturing quests.

also

Banned
Noooo, I don't want to have to do research to play the game! Fuck it, I'm just gonna wing it.

Just use Kiranico. It's easily searchable and makes grinding for materials easier because you can check drop rates. If a monster gives you trouble, you should check the Wikia for some strategies; knowing when to use sonic and flash bombs can make some fights much easier.

I guess I should bring some extras then, huh. Kinda bullshit that they only give you 1 on most quests. You can't even pick it up if you misplace it. Can't say that I'm a fan of the capturing quests.
You really shouldn't rely on supplies; always come prepared.

Brutalx2

3iAGlExl.jpg

It's here ! I just need to get my wii u and play ! Man i'm excited !

Toxi

Banned
I can't catch this damn Qurupeco even though it looks like it's weak and tired.
I realized while trying to capture the Qurupeco that there are two different kinds of weak and tired.

One is when the monster is drooling. Its attacks will often result in it tripping and it will pause for long periods of time. This state doesn't mean that the monster is capturable; it can be like this right at the start of a battle. It will eventually look healthy again; I think the monster loses its drooling state by eating (Since the Qurupeco goes fishing).

The other kind is when the monster starts limping and then flies, burrows, or swims to an area to go to sleep. If a monster starts limping, it's generally capturable. You should let it move to the next area and follow it there, hit it with a strong attack to wake it up if it's sleeping, place a trap, and tranq bomb it.

Leezard

I've started hunting Deviljhos now. I like him, actually. It feels like a no gimmick hunt. Him getting tired all the time helps as well. I think my rng is weird though, since 3 caps have resulted in 3 gems. I'm not complaining though.

tuffy

The other kind is when the monster starts limping and then flies, burrows, or swims to an area to go to sleep. If a monster starts limping, it's generally capturable. You should let it move to the next area and follow it there, hit it with a strong attack to wake it up if it's sleeping, place a trap, and tranq bomb it.
If the monster's sleeping, you can generally avoid hitting it entirely. Just run up to it, place a trap as close to its center as you can get, then tranq bomb/tranq shoot it when the trap wakes it up a moment later. Should be a sure capture every time with no risk.

Of course, sometimes one your Shakalakas will be a smart-ass and decide that a sleeping monster needs to be boomeranged while you're still in the process of setting the trap. That's when things get a bit more complicated.

Toxi

Banned
If the monster's sleeping, you can generally avoid hitting it entirely. Just run up to it, place a trap as close to its center as you can get, then tranq bomb/tranq shoot it when the trap wakes it up a moment later. Should be a sure capture every time with no risk.

Of course, sometimes one your Shakalakas will be a smart-ass and decide that a sleeping monster needs to be boomeranged while you're still in the process of setting the trap. That's when things get a bit more complicated.
Ah, thanks. That makes capturing them a lot easier. :)

Also, Duramboros is dead. I think I'm going to practice fighting Rathian a few times before I fight her hubby.

Oxx

If the 3DS Notifications say I have 2 streetpass hits, but find no new guild cards in game does that just mean they are from people I already have cards from?

Elija2

Just use Kiranico. It's easily searchable and makes grinding for materials easier because you can check drop rates. If a monster gives you trouble, you should check the Wikia for some strategies; knowing when to use sonic and flash bombs can make some fights much easier.

You really shouldn't rely on supplies; always come prepared.

Thanks for the links. And I do bring extra supplies like Mega Potions and Whetstones, but never stuff like traps because I figure I'll only need one if done right.

I see that using a sonic bomb when the Qurupeco's vocal sac is inflated will stun it for a bit, and the flash bomb is useful when it's hovering.

I realized while trying to capture the Qurupeco that there are two different kinds of weak and tired.

One is when the monster is drooling. Its attacks will often result in it tripping and it will pause for long periods of time. This state doesn't mean that the monster is capturable; it can be like this right at the start of a battle. It will eventually look healthy again; I think the monster loses its drooling state by eating (Since the Qurupeco goes fishing).

Ah, I see. Thanks for the tip.

Mondriaan

So if you're on a quest where you have to capture a monster and you run out of traps, you're pretty much boned, right? I can't catch this damn Qurupeco even though it looks like it's weak and tired.
You're probably boned, but if you're desperate enough you can start attacking felynes and melynes and hope that one of the shinies is an EZ shocktrap. It's a very low probability drop, though, and the cats will stop spawning after a while.

You could also trade the veggie elder a goldenfish for an EZ shocktrap if you're at the deserted island or flooded forest. Kiranico has a trading guide, anyway.

Toxi

Banned
Oh hi Diablos. How yah doin? I just beat the big red dragon Rathalos only using a single Mega Potion, I can totally take you on.

Wait, Diablos, stop charging at me with those horns.

Stop hitting me with your wide tail swings that go everywhere.

Stop turning your entire body into a hitbox, including your tail during the attacks that don't actually involve the tail.

Stop roaring and breaking my eardrums.

Stop digging and then immediately bursting out of the ground without giving me time to think.

Stop fighting already, how are you not limping yet?

Stop forcing me to run all the way back from the cart after knocking me out.

Stop. Please.

I just got bodied. Twice. I think I'm going to try and upgrade my gear and armor fighting weaker monsters before I think of taking on Diablos again. Anyone know a good weapon to take it out? The supply delivery came with Sonic Bombs, but those didn't seem to work when I used them, even when Diablos was digging. I'm right now using upgraded Barroth armor and the Spiral Lance+.

I want to fight this thing!
th4i.png
I wanna fight the death crab too!

Insaniac

I just got bodied. Twice. I think I'm going to try and upgrade my gear fighting weaker monsters before I think of taking on Diablos again. Anyone know a good weapon to take it out? The supply delivery came with Sonic Bombs, but those didn't seem to work when I used them, even when Diablos was digging.

Diablos tips:

Sonic bombs only work when diablos is underground, AND she is not in rage mode (black smoke coming from her mouth) effectively acts like a pitfall trap, very effective for getting lots of hits in.

When diablos is in rage mode, she tends to chain charge a lot, don't try to get any hits, and just run / dodge her charges until she seems to stop.

What weapon are you using? I would recommend a Lance or Gunlance which is good at blocking. Good for blocking her unburrow attacks and charge attacks if you aren't used to her attack pattern yet. Hammer is also good if you sonic bomb / pitfall trap her, you can get easy hits on her head and then easily KO her. it will also exhaust her, bringing her out of rage mode quicker.

Toxi

Banned
Diablos tips:

Sonic bombs only work when diablos is underground, AND she is not in rage mode (black smoke coming from her mouth) effectively acts like a pitfall trap, very effective for getting lots of hits in.

When diablos is in rage mode, she tends to chain charge a lot, don't try to get any hits, and just run / dodge her charges until she seems to stop.

What weapon are you using? I would recommend a Lance or Gunlance which is good at blocking. Good for blocking her unburrow attacks and charge attacks if you aren't used to her attack pattern yet. Hammer is also good if you sonic bomb / pitfall trap her, you can get easy hits on her head and then easily KO her. it will also exhaust her, bringing her out of rage mode quicker.
Thanks. I already have a decent Lance, so I'll keep using that. I have a ton of Screamers, so I can use those to make Sonic Bombs. If it's the same sort of effect as a pitfall trap, that will be excellent for doing more damage and also giving me some extra breathing room.

Oxx

Took me a while to remember there is an item shop in the village.

The perils of playing Tri years ago and not exploring properly now.

At least I can make my own traps.

upandaway

Where is the neogaf lobby located which server? And do you guys have skill tips for a lancer??
It's in the bottom of the OP, but post if you're online so others know, it's barren otherwise.
There are so many ways to use the lance that it's ridiculous. Most of the crazy good runs with insane DPS are heavy on the evasion, but it's hard to pull off. Play how it feels right to you, and try to use counters to chain attacks and never stop poking.

LakeEarth

This game just surpassed all other 3DS games to become my most played game, and I haven't even scratched the surface. I'm not even halfway through the 3-star missions.

andthebeatgoeson

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:MH3U

Make it a bookmark if you haven't already. One of the best places. Also, just general google. Usually will find a ton of forum posts (gamefaqs comes in handy, sometimes) about the exact same question. Seriously. Highly recommend it. I have about 6-8 links (weapon trees to plan out my upgrade path, canteen recipes, armor, quest, etc) in my bookmarks. And with things like chrome, I can get it on my phone or any PC. You will need it.

Sometimes you are ready to upgrade armor or a weapon and realize you wasted some parts on a stupid new mask when all you end up doing is using one or two of them.

This game does has some annoying Zynga elements (keep grinding for a few whatzabobs. Oh, I'm sorry, you have whatzabob blue. We needed the red kind. And won't give it to you even tho you are doing everything right.)

Goddamn voltstones. I've broken every flint from here to flint, mich. And captured every single bird like douche bag.

Oh yeah, you may just want to hold off on upgrading weapons. I tried to do it, then got to a level where I could just buy 2 levels above. I may just need to do that.

Toxi

Banned
The Sonic Bombs worked like a charm. Diablos is dead without a single trip on the cart, and now I'm grinding Rathalos for that sweet Red Tail lance. Since Barioth lives in the ice area, I think a fire weapon will work perfectly for killing it. I could probably just go and fight it with my current gear, but after the fiasco with Diablos, I want to be prepared better.

This game singlehandedly justified my 3DS purchase. It's addicting, but I'm addicted because it's fun killing monsters.

I just hope Monster Hunter 4 gets released here in the states so I can play online with other people. :-(

also

Banned
The Sonic Bombs worked like a charm. Diablos is dead without a single trip on the cart, and now I'm grinding Rathalos for that sweet Red Tail lance. Since Barioth lives in the ice area, I think a fire weapon will work perfectly for killing it. I could probably just go and fight it with my current gear, but after the fiasco with Diablos, I want to be prepared better.

This game singlehandedly justified my 3DS purchase. It's addicting, but I'm addicted because it's fun killing monsters.

I just hope Monster Hunter 4 gets released here in the states so I can play online with other people. :-(
I know Barioth's giant tail is pretty tempting but when you are hunting him you should first go for his wings; when you destroy them you will slow him down considerably.

upandaway

Man, this sucks. My fingers have started to hurt lately (even when I haven't played that day), the only reason I can think of is playing with huge controllers like the U Pad and CCP so much. I'm kinda scared to play now, think I'll wait a bit then switch to the Classic Controller completely (once I get Pokemon and I switch MH to the Wii U).

Wolfe

Even though I haven't played it regularly in ages MH is still my most played 3DS game with over 650 hours :p

I still need to do the Rank 8 urgent quest, just been putting off doing it solo since I wanted to do it with some friends but they haven't wanted to play in forever :(

Moondrop

Banned
I've pretty much settled on light bowgun. I tried all the new weapons, and I gave heavy bowgun another go. The problem with HBG for me isn't the walking and evasion speeds as much as the sheathing speeds and the deviation. I know you can gem those away, but still.

Rolled charm table 9 on my second try. Forgot to reset the year- derp.

I'm going to tackle some village quests (or perhaps solo port?) before I join y'all for hunting. I beat all village quests before I went online in Tri.

One thing that threw me off a bit is the armors are seemingly rebalanced, many with undesirable skills. I remember getting by with the Qurupeco gear for ages.

Requiem

So what weapon is everyone using? I'm partial to the Switch Axe and Katana but I'm looking for weapons that have some variety in attacks...any suggestions?

Insaniac

So what weapon is everyone using? I'm partial to the Switch Axe and Katana but I'm looking for weapons that have some variety in attacks...any suggestions?

I find the weapon to have most variety is the Gunlance. At first glance it may seem that its fairly shallow, but upon using it longer there are a lot of different combos and moves it can do.

Basic moves involve:

X (stab)
A (single shot)
R (block)
X+A (high upward slash)
X+A while blocking (Wyvernfire)
A while blocking (Reload)

It has the standard forward lunge (Forward + X) which is great for mobility and closing distance with a monster.This can be followed up with X-> X (stab) -> X (overhead smash) -> A (shotgun blast)

Or you can go X -> X (stab) into B (backhop/sidestep dodge) -> A (reload)

A after any attack (except overhead smash) will give you a single shot burst. Follow it up with A again to reload that one shot, and then X to perform an overhead smash and then A to shotgun blast.

Forward lunge can also be canceled into a single shot blast.

A good long combo when a monster is trapped/stunned is X -> X (2 stab combo) -> A (single shot) and then back into the 2 stab combo.

lots of these combos can be linked to one another. You should experiment.

Other moves the gunlance has are R (block) -> X (angled stab) -> A (charged single shot)

Overhead slam -> X+A (wyvernfire; a strong charged blast)

R (block) -> X+A (wyvernfire)

Not to mention the gunlance has great blocking capability, and its forward lunge makes it a great choice for underwater battles IMO.

Very satisfying weapon to use when you land wyvernfires or shotgun blasts and flinch the monster.

also

Banned
I began with switch axe and after ~130 hours switched over to great sword and now I use that most of the time. If you want variety, swax is an excellent choice because of its 2 distinct weapon modes. I can't explain why, but switching between modes is just so fun and never gets old.
In Freedom Unite I'm using the gunlance and I'm really liking the long combos you can pull off. A bit of warning however, if you are only used to weapons that can't block, e.g. katana and swax, it will take you some time to adjust to GL's really limited mobility and get the hang of blocking, at least that was the case with me.

Toxi

Banned
I like the forward X move on the Gunlance in 3 Ultimate, since it covers short distances fast and hits right at face level. Really helpful when fighting Lagiacrus underwater, since you don't have to sheathe to approach if he's close enough.
I know Barioth's giant tail is pretty tempting but when you are hunting him you should first go for his wings; when you destroy them you will slow him down considerably.
Thanks, this was good advice. The poor kitty didn't stand a chance after it started fumbling with each jump; I think I over prepared with bringing a Fire Lance and two traps. Still a fun fight with how Barioth jumps and attacks everywhere.

I also beat Uragaan. I love his bizarre design with the Jay Leno chin. He was a bit long, but not agonizing like Diablos and Duramboros. Managed to sever the tail, but before that I found out you can mine on it when Uragaan falls over. Pretty sweet detail.

Now there's just Agnaktor before I fight the giant sea monster. With the Uroktors being younger versions, I guess Agnaktor will be some sort of lava tunneling Royal Ludroth.

Requiem

I think I'm going to stick with the Katana...other than the poor anti-air I'm really enjoying the maneuverability plus I just realized that when the sprit gauge is full, pressing R multiple times gives you a combo!

Question, is there any way to change your characters voice?

tuffy

I've pretty much settled on light bowgun. I tried all the new weapons, and I gave heavy bowgun another go. The problem with HBG for me isn't the walking and evasion speeds as much as the sheathing speeds and the deviation. I know you can gem those away, but still.
I wound up sticking with LBG over HBG for a lot of the same reasons.

Somewhat annoyingly, the best flame and thunder LBGs also have deviation to deal with. But because the deviation is consistent in one direction, I've been able to adjust my targeting for the way the shots curve over distance rather than trade damage-boosting skills for steadiness +1/+2.
Question, is there any way to change your characters voice?
That's fixed at character creation time - like skin tone, face shape and gender. The game only lets you change underclothes, hair style, hair color and makeup as far as I can tell.

Insaniac

I wound up sticking with LBG over HBG for a lot of the same reasons.

Somewhat annoyingly, the best flame and thunder LBGs also have deviation to deal with. But because the deviation is consistent in one direction, I've been able to adjust my targeting for the way the shots curve over distance rather than trade damage-boosting skills for steadiness +1/+2.

That's fixed at character creation time - like skin tone, face shape and gender. The game only lets you change underclothes, hair style, hair color and makeup as far as I can tell.

I started with LBGs, but when I tried the HBG, I just couldn't go back. Siege mode (crouching fire) is just so satisfying when you have a beefed up gun. Flinch city!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think I'm going to stick with the Katana...other than the poor anti-air I'm really enjoying the maneuverability plus I just realized that when the sprit gauge is full, pressing R multiple times gives you a combo!

...which levels up your sword to do more damage if you finish the combo. Which is kind of the whole point of the sword ahahahaha

Requiem

...which levels up your sword to do more damage if you finish the combo. Which is kind of the whole point of the sword ahahahaha

I just realized that when fighting the Royal Lizard thing for the first time...got up to the yellow 'phase' so to speak...feels good man

Also, is there anyway to travel to the new lands without being on a Quest?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I just realized that when fighting the Royal Lizard thing for the first time...got up to the yellow 'phase' so to speak...feels good man

Also, is there anyway to travel to the new lands without being on a Quest?

No, but there are "gather" quests that let you free roam.

Toxi

Banned
You know, Agnaktor was really fun with how you could break the different parts of its body, but
Ceadeus
is really boring.
He's way too slow and the game isn't very clear on how you're supposed to beat him. Why does breaking the beard make you able to fight him, and why do the villagers tell you to break the horns when breaking off the horns did nothing and it you repel him based on how much damage you deal? And how the hell do I use the ancient weapons in the Ruins? I can see why people don't like the underwater combat now too, he moves around too much in the second part if you're trying to strike specific parts of his body like the horns. Also, I like the ending battle theme, but holy shit does it get repetitive after hearing it for 30 minutes.

Now on to high rank!

Insaniac

You know, Agnaktor was really fun with how you could break the different parts of its body, but
Ceadeus
is really boring.
He's way too slow and the game isn't very clear on how you're supposed to beat him. Why does breaking the beard make you able to fight him, and why do the villagers tell you to break the horns when breaking off the horns did nothing and it you repel him based on how much damage you deal? And how the hell do I use the ancient weapons in the Ruins? I can see why people don't like the underwater combat now too, he moves around too much in the second part if you're trying to strike specific parts of his body like the horns. Also, I like the ending battle theme, but holy shit does it get repetitive after hearing it for 30 minutes.

Now on to high rank!

Little side note, the ending battle theme is actually the moga village song too. But yes I agree this battle was incredibly tedious and unfun. Just beat it and be done with it and never come back to it again IMO.

also

Banned
Ceadeus
is really boring.

Now on to high rank!

That and its subspecies are the worst fights in the game. It's a real shame that I will never get to wear their awesome looking armor because grinding them would be way too tedious.
You should use the dragonator when it goes all the way to the back wall and starts swimming really close to the ground and then comes up right in front of the dragonator. There are also some ballistas. You can gather the ammo but you should also bring some of your own (trade for it with the Argosy captain) to end the hunt faster.

Toxi

Banned
Little side note, the ending battle theme is actually the moga village song too. But yes I agree this battle was incredibly tedious and unfun. Just beat it and be done with it and never come back to it again IMO.

That and its subspecies are the worst fights in the game. It's a real shame that I will never get to wear their awesome looking armor because grinding them would be way too tedious.
You should use the dragonator when it goes all the way to the back wall and starts swimming really close to the ground and then comes up right in front of the dragonator. There are also some ballistas. You can gather the ammo but you should also bring some of your own (trade for it with the Argosy captain) to end the hunt faster.
Thanks. I might try it again later on when I have much better gear to do the quest with and need something relaxing and time-wasting to do.

Love the new mountain peaks area, it's very pretty and the battle music is fun and catchy. Purple Ludroth has a surprisingly large health pool; seems like These differently colored variants are harder than the standard variety. The Great Jaggi and Great Wroggi still go down hilariously easy, though. Did the "beat 10 Jaggia" mission and met Deviljho. I'm guessing I'll be seeing him again for a real fight at a higher rank, kinda like that first Lagiacrus quest.

Also building a new set of Wroggi armor for high rank; that poison negation is totally worth it, and I finally found out how to gem out the drawbacks of armor.

I guess I'll try out the Crimson Qurupeco mission. I need the Voltstones to upgrade one of my weapons.

Garou

The gold Caedeus is the easiest fight in the whole game. 4 Heavy Bowgunners with pierce shots and high crit rates and he goes down in less than 2 minutes. With the number of carves he gives you will also never run out of money again.

also

Banned
The gold Caedeus is the easiest fight in the whole game. 4 Heavy Bowgunners with pierce shots and high crit rates and he goes down in less than 2 minutes. With the number of carves he gives you will also never run out of money again.
I'm stuck playing solo and don't like ranged weapons, so...

Toxi

Banned
Haha, wow game, you're a dick. Crimson Qurupeco tried to Deviljho me. Thank God for dung bombs.
Unfortunately, I have the 3DS version and I have no clue how to use Bowguns.

I should start a new game just to get a fresh start on weapons I haven't tried out.

Top Bottom