• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Requiem

So I just got this game a couple days ago and so far I am really enjoying it. Two questions:

How long is this game? I don't want it to be over too soon since I'm enjoying it so much...

What's up with the sound effects? I feel like there is something missing here; maybe its footsteps or ambient noise but unless I am in town its almost completely silent (barring actually fighting with monsters and such).

upandaway

How long is this game? I don't want it to be over too soon since I'm enjoying it so much...
I just hit 280 hours today, no sign of an end.

Congrats on the Dichotomy Technomancer, I don't know if I have it in me to farm more Agna Talons to do it. I just did him 3 times today (all parts broken, captured) and got 1 talon to show for it. And I need 4 more for the armor set.

Doorman

So I just got this game a couple days ago and so far I am really enjoying it. Two questions:

What's up with the sound effects? I feel like there is something missing here; maybe its footsteps or ambient noise but unless I am in town its almost completely silent (barring actually fighting with monsters and such).

1. If you get absorbed in the game mechanics and crafting system, it DEFINITELY won't be over too soon. I'm somewhere around 150 hours and I've barely scratched the surface of high rank village or G-rank port quests.

2. When you're just out in the field, you're right, there's no music unless you're in a large monster battle. It's just a design choice, I guess they wanted to give the game kind of a scenic feel when you're just exploring around?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I'm at like 300 hours so far. If you get into it, its a long haul.

Moondrop

Banned
Just bought a WiiU and this game yesterday. I reached HR50+ in Tri, so I'm not really a noob.

Still sad they removed my weapon of choice from this edition. I'll select a new weapon, refresh my skills, roll a good charm table, then I hope to hunt with y'all in the near future.

The Technomancer

Thanks fellas!

Is there an sort of lock on system or is it all free aim?

Which version are you on? On the 3DS when you're fighting a large monster if you're in the same zone a grey square on the bottom screen will become an icon. Tap that icon to "lock" to the monster and now whenever you tap L your camera will spin to focus on him. But you can still move the camera away or turn so its facing the other direction, L just swings it back around.

Toxi

Banned
I was hunting a Qurupeco for one of the port missions and it called out and I thought, "Oh look, it's calling for Great Jaggi."

Then a huge dragon like the one on the cover came down from the sky and wrecked my shit. Jesus Christ, Qurupeco doesn't fuck around.

Have you thought about the CPP? It's a much easier camera method.
I was thinking about it. I'll see about getting one.

I was hunting a Qurupeco for one of the port missions and it called out and I thought, "Oh look, it's calling for Great Jaggi."

Then a huge dragon like the one on the cover came down from the sky and wrecked my shit. Jesus Christ, Qurupeco doesn't fuck around.

I was thinking about it. I'll see about getting one.

Freaked the heck out of me as well. I was not expecting a Rathian to drop out of the sky. I'm not looking forward to hunting the Crimson Qurupeco in solo mode.

Requiem

Which version are you on? On the 3DS when you're fighting a large monster if you're in the same zone a grey square on the bottom screen will become an icon. Tap that icon to "lock" to the monster and now whenever you tap L your camera will spin to focus on him. But you can still move the camera away or turn so its facing the other direction, L just swings it back around.

I got the Wii U version...

The quest lady told me about locking on using ZL (or maybe it was ZR); I guess for smaller monsters its all free aim then...

I got the Wii U version...

The quest lady told me about locking on using ZL (or maybe it was ZR); I guess for smaller monsters its all free aim then...

Yep only big monsters get lock on.

Hunted online today for the first time in a month or so. It felt good! Although I did faint twice. I guess I'm a little rusty. Oh well, just means I have to play more!

Toxi

Banned
I finally faced Rathian as an actual hunt. Brought some Antidotes because the in-game monster guide mentioned poison and hoped for the best, fainted once, then captured her.

Feels good. After fighting her for a bit, I never got hit by her poison tail attack (the charge on the other hand...).

Now for Gigginox...

la_briola

I finally faced Rathian as an actual hunt. Brought some Antidotes because the in-game monster guide mentioned poison and hoped for the best, fainted once, then captured her.

Feels good. After fighting her for a bit, I never got hit by her poison tail attack (the charge on the other hand...).

Now for Gigginox...

Prepare to be poisoned. I used the Wroggi armor set, makes you immune vs poison.

tuffy

I still think Gigginox is the worst monster in the game.
The Giggis have never given me all that much trouble, but I think it's one of those monsters that's a lot worse for the blademaster types.

I'd rather deal with a bunch of those over a single raging Black Diablos. Since gunner armor's squishy and I don't have any way to block, just about every underground launch across the room takes off most of my health. It's the sort of monster I'd rather put to sleep from a safe distance so some hammer guys can dismantle it.

Llyranor

Having gotten a Wii U recently, I tried the demo and it was lots of fun! I've asked similar Q's before, but since I actually have the system now, just want to clarify a few things.

1) No problem with North America <---> UK/Europe cross-region play, right?
2) We can simply voicechat via the gamepad, right?
3) We just want to co-op, really. Basically, is the format of the game such that we can basically just dedicate 99% of our gaming time to co-op missions? If there's a few singleplayer missions we have to do beforehand, FINE, but I don't want it to take a significant amount of time away from co-op.

upandaway

Okay I have to think I'm doing something wrong.

I just did Agnaktor 7 times today - SEVEN - and didn't get a single Talon. Of course I broke the legs 10 times over. I tried both capturing and killing, though according to kiranico it's the exact same chance of getting one for both (8% for killing and 12% for capture).
This is driving me crazy. All I need is one talon (got 3 from 2 quests yesterday). My soul got shredded a bit more every time I finished the quest and didn't get it.
24% from killing it, and 52% from the break, and it managed to not happen 7 times. At this point that's just plain impossible. Anyone know what's up with this?

tuffy

1) No problem with North America <---> UK/Europe cross-region play, right?
I'm sure this is the case. I run into UK/Europe players regularly on my NA system.
2) We can simply voicechat via the gamepad, right?
You can. Text messages via USB keyboard also works.
3) We just want to co-op, really. Basically, is the format of the game such that we can basically just dedicate 99% of our gaming time to co-op missions? If there's a few singleplayer missions we have to do beforehand, FINE, but I don't want it to take a significant amount of time away from co-op.
If I recall correctly, the only thing you need to do solo is watch the opening Village cinematic and maybe talk to a few people there. Then you can talk to Neko ("means cat") and do everything on that side co-op if you want right from the start. None of the solo missions are required.

tuffy

24% from killing it, and 52% from the break, and it managed to not happen 7 times. At this point that's just plain impossible. Anyone know what's up with this?
Bad luck, maybe. Try "the Sea of Flame" triple Agnaktor advanced quest. Even if you just kill them that's a ~53% chance of at least one talon from carves alone, but it shoots up to ~95% if you can break three back legs.

Mondriaan

Okay I have to think I'm doing something wrong.

I just did Agnaktor 7 times today - SEVEN - and didn't get a single Talon. Of course I broke the legs 10 times over. I tried both capturing and killing, though according to kiranico it's the exact same chance of getting one for both (8% for killing and 12% for capture).
This is driving me crazy. All I need is one talon (got 3 from 2 quests yesterday). My soul got shredded a bit more every time I finished the quest and didn't get it.
I suspect that if you have a long string of monster part fails, you should probably save the game, quit, and reload the game.

There's probably some table that determines whether or not you'll see certain monster parts during a particular gaming session.

upandaway

I sure hope it was just bad luck. I was suspecting some kind of table shenanigans towards the end, but then, I did get 3 talons in 2 quests and didn't quit the game between then and now.

Even when I complete the armor, I won't be able to continue because I'm stuck at the G Jho quest.. really scared of that one. I'm best with lances and DSs, but I have no dragon or thunder weapons of either :( maybe I'll just wait till I can go online.

also

Banned
I sure hope it was just bad luck. I was suspecting some kind of table shenanigans towards the end, but then, I did get 3 talons in 2 quests and didn't quit the game between then and now.

Even when I complete the armor, I won't be able to continue because I'm stuck at the G Jho quest.. really scared of that one. I'm best with lances and DSs, but I have no dragon or thunder weapons of either :( maybe I'll just wait till I can go online.

That has to be some of the worst luck I've ever seen. The desire sensor can certainly be cruel.
Just to be sure, are you certain you broke both of the back legs and not just one in those seven G rank quests?

Mondriaan

That has to be some of the worst luck I've ever seen. The desire sensor can certainly be cruel.
Just to be sure, are you certain you broke both of the back legs and not just one in those seven G rank quests?
Is it just the back legs? I don't think you can get claws in the rewards without breaking all four.

also

Banned
Is it just the back legs? I don't think you can get claws in the rewards without breaking all four.
Hmm, Kiranico and Ping's dex both list ''back leg'' while the Wikia just lists ''claw''. I'm not sure now because I always ended up breaking all of his claws...

Toxi

Banned
I love the armor in this game. The Wroggi set makes me look like a cowboy, and the Lagombi set looks so damn comfy (still missing part, though). And I'm now using a Hunting Horn (the Valkyrie's Chordmaker), and it's so much fun stringing together its attacks.

And now for Lagiacrus...

upandaway

Got the talon and I'm finally done with sets for as long as I can stretch this (probably Jhen). That was way too much work for what I got out of it, but oh well. Used the set for practice on Zinogre and got a Jasper! So now I have the dual Thunder/Dragon DS, and it's amazing.

Lance and DS set:
EbIdmj4.jpg

(finally I can use C-skills again oh god, I missed Capture Guru so much)

Lance and DS fire set:
0lUzOKJ.jpg

With the food elemental defense buff, I can

Definitely, I broke everything and cut the tail. I don't think I've done Agnaktor without breaking everything since low rank.

The Technomancer

I realized when fighting Abyssal Lagi that I don't actually hate the underwater controls. They're just fine in large open arenas like that. I hate the water controls in conjunction with all the weirdness like cramped spaces, inaccurate geometry hitboxes, and the really annoying fact that if the camera is above the waterline then you can't really see underneath it.

Toxi

Banned
The king is dead. Spoils...
  • 1 x Lagiacrus Plate
  • 1 x Lagiacrus Horn
  • 1 x Lagiacrus Scale
  • 1 x Lagiacrus Tail
  • 2 x Shell Shocker
  • 3 x Lagiacrus Hide

I got the tail first try! Awesome fight, I love how Lagiacrus moves and fights underwater. Feels like a true king of the seas. Only problem is that stupid tail attack that inflicts the soaking condition, I hate that attack. I didn't have any trouble with the underwater controls, and this is probably the best of the three underwater bosses I've faced so far.

DaBoss

The king is dead. Spoils...
  • 1 x Lagiacrus Plate
  • 1 x Lagiacrus Horn
  • 1 x Lagiacrus Scale
  • 1 x Lagiacrus Tail
  • 2 x Shell Shocker
  • 3 x Lagiacrus Hide

I got the tail first try! Awesome fight, I love how Lagiacrus moves and fights underwater. Feels like a true king of the seas. Only problem is that stupid tail attack that inflicts the soaking condition, I hate that attack. I didn't have any trouble with the underwater controls, and this is probably the best of the three underwater bosses I've faced so far.

Just going to tell you the terminology, the conditions are called blights. There is waterblight (what Lagiacrus does), thunderblight (the other thing Lagiacrus can do), fireblight, iceblight, and finally dragonblight. There are also sever versions of each of the blights which lasts (or its effects are increased, or it can be both, I don't remember).

Toxi

Banned
Just going to tell you the terminology, the conditions are called blights. There is waterblight (what Lagiacrus does), thunderblight (the other thing Lagiacrus can do), fireblight, iceblight, and finally dragonblight. There are also sever versions of each of the blights which lasts (or its effects are increased, or it can be both, I don't remember).
Thanks. I'm assuming the Felyne Groomer meal helps with reducing their duration, right?

Also, Jesus Christ, Duramboros is taking a long time to kill.

DaBoss

Thanks. I'm assuming the Felyne Groomer meal helps with reducing their duration, right?

Also, Jesus Christ, Duramboros is taking a long time to kill.

Yea it does.

And Duramboros is like the first hard monster. And the first "wall" in the game.

A tip, attack its feet when it does its tailspin attack.

I thought I was doing really bad vs the High rank Nibblesnarf. I was trying out ranged and it was taking forever. About the 4th attempt I saw my shots were bouncing off. I can't believe it took so long for me to see that.

Elija2

I've barely completed any of the villager requests because I don't know where to find any of the materials that I need. How do I get monster fluid? I'm guessing it doesn't say in the game and I'm just supposed to go hunt random monsters or just look it up.

Insaniac

I've barely completed any of the villager requests because I don't know where to find any of the materials that I need. How do I get monster fluid? I'm guessing it doesn't say in the game and I'm just supposed to go hunt random monsters or just look it up.

couple ways, do the quest where you kill Altaroths (the little ant bugs) use poison bombs on them and let them die via poison and you can carve, or you wait till they go to a honey spot and eat the honey (their abdoments will bloat up) then kill them and they will drop a shiny

Toxi

Banned
Monster Fluid comes from the insect monsters. I got it from completing the "Kill 12 flying insects" quest.

I'm not sure how to kill the insects so they can be carved; it seems to happen randomly, but I'm guessing there's a more reliable way.

EDIT: Thanks Insaniac. I was wondering why they sometimes seemed to have swelled abdomens.

Yea it does.

And Duramboros is like the first hard monster. And the first "wall" in the game.

A tip, attack its feet when it does its tailspin attack.
Thanks. I ran out of time the first time, and that was pretty aggravating. It doesn't help that Cha-Cha is gone for this quest. I'll bring along a trap and explosive barrels to do some extra damage this time.

(Also, that tail spin proves Duramboros>Physics. I got hit the first time just because I was too dumbfounded to roll out of the way.)

Elija2

couple ways, do the quest where you kill Altaroths (the little ant bugs) use poison bombs on them and let them die via poison and you can carve, or you wait till they go to a honey spot and eat the honey (their abdoments will bloat up) then kill them and they will drop a shiny

Bloated abdomens? Damn, I never would have thought to pay attention for something like that. I knew this game would be complex, but I didn't think it would be that complex. Do they expect newcomers to look this stuff up? I don't think it's explained anywhere in the game, unless some random NPC in the village mentions it but I don't have the time to talk to everyone there.

Duramboros was the first one that I had a hard time putting down simply due to half-assed weapon selection (my first Gigginox was ultimately more trouble overall). I knew going in that a low-level pellet-biased Heavy Bowgun might not be best but decided why not? Well, running out of time is why not lol. And damn is that an awesome beast to behold the first time.

Next round went in with my favored GS and sliced and diced him. Farmed him a couple times before switching mostly to Rune Factory 4. Back for a bit now to MH3U.

Anteo

Bloated abdomens? Damn, I never would have thought to pay attention for something like that. I knew this game would be complex, but I didn't think it would be that complex. Do they expect newcomers to look this stuff up? I don't think it's explained anywhere in the game, unless some random NPC in the village mentions it but I don't have the time to talk to everyone there.

I discovered that by accident. "Are those guys getting food? maybe I can kill them to get it for me" and it worked.
And really, looking at the smalls details or behavior of monsters is a big part of this game.

Insaniac

Is there a difference between low-rank carves and high-rank carves?

yes, low rank, high rank and g-rank monsters all give different carves / materials for crafting weapons and armor.

And to the newcomer above, even though I've played a combined total of like 1000+ hours of MH3 and MH3U, I still look up a lot of things on the wiki

Doombear

And to the newcomer above, even though I've played a combined total of like 1000+ hours of MH3 and MH3U, I still look up a lot of things on the wiki

Same here. There is just so much data to retain all of it. Upgrade paths, carves, skills drop rates. Every game spawns an entirely new set of bookmarks, Google docs, ever note notebooks and more. If it is a Japanese import like MHP3rd HD was... even more! Wouldn't want it any other way at this point.

Elija2

Same here. There is just so much data to retain all of it. Upgrade paths, carves, skills drop rates. Every game spawns an entirely new set of bookmarks, Google docs, ever note notebooks and more. If it is a Japanese import like MHP3rd HD was... even more! Wouldn't want it any other way at this point.

Noooo, I don't want to have to do research to play the game! Fuck it, I'm just gonna wing it.

Doorman

You guys ever encounter someone while playing online, and wonder just how they managed to get to where they are?

Playing back on Sunday, a friend and I were doing some G-rank prep stuff, early 6-star quests, and a guy popped on at HR6 who wanted to fight a pink rathian. His armor consisted of two low rank Barroth pieces, two high rank Barroth pieces, and a low rank Uragaan mail. His only active skill came thanks to a +9-stat talisman. Rather than the P. Rath we wound up taking a G-rank Gigginox, whereupon he fainted after a single hit due to not healing from the poison and proceeded to hang around in other areas away from the monster for 10 minutes. Finally rejoined the fight, only to faint again relatively quickly.

The whole time, I kept wondering how on earth he managed to make it up to G-rank at all. Hell even if you barely do much actual fighting, the amount of time it takes to get to HR6, shouldn't you at least have a grasp of the basics and get enough items to forge some half-decent armor? It was such an enigma.

DaBoss

I've wondered that a lot back in MHTri. I'm guessing they leech off of others. I don't have a Wii U so no online here. :(

Insaniac

You guys ever encounter someone while playing online, and wonder just how they managed to get to where they are?

Playing back on Sunday, a friend and I were doing some G-rank prep stuff, early 6-star quests, and a guy popped on at HR6 who wanted to fight a pink rathian. His armor consisted of two low rank Barroth pieces, two high rank Barroth pieces, and a low rank Uragaan mail. His only active skill came thanks to a +9-stat talisman. Rather than the P. Rath we wound up taking a G-rank Gigginox, whereupon he fainted after a single hit due to not healing from the poison and proceeded to hang around in other areas away from the monster for 10 minutes. Finally rejoined the fight, only to faint again relatively quickly.

The whole time, I kept wondering how on earth he managed to make it up to G-rank at all. Hell even if you barely do much actual fighting, the amount of time it takes to get to HR6, shouldn't you at least have a grasp of the basics and get enough items to forge some half-decent armor? It was such an enigma.

Its pretty easy to just get others to do the work for you, 3 well equipped hunters will tear through low rank and high rank like butter

Doorman

Its pretty easy to just get others to do the work for you, 3 well equipped hunters will tear through low rank and high rank like butter

I understand that it's possible, but if you're at the point of the game like G rank where you don't even have a hope of actually fighting the monsters and you spend most of your time picking flowers elsewhere while other hunters carry you...what exactly are you playing the game for?

I don't intend to sound angry or elitist about it like I'm probably coming off, I just seriously can't understand the logic.

Elija2

So if you're on a quest where you have to capture a monster and you run out of traps, you're pretty much boned, right? I can't catch this damn Qurupeco even though it looks like it's weak and tired.

Top Bottom