• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Fistwell

so which of my niggas still plays? a friend of mine is picking this up finally so I think I'm gonna get back into it soon. I already forgot the controls!
Most have moved on. I played for a cple of hours last saturday, so, I guess technically I still play a little.
You rolling a new char or playing with your HR500million?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's like riding a bike though. Although selecting items sometimes throws me for a loop when I come back, lol.

Wish I could say I'll play soon, but... Pokemans, man.

Doombear

Two more attempts tonight on solo H.Jhen with HBG. First one got away from me somehow on the second stage. Ended up with a repel but was close and I nabbed a fang in rewards. Second time was a kill with 9 minutes to go. If I could figure out how to stay on his spine better on the second break... could be better. Still, it feels damn good

tuffy

I still hang around regularly. Though since I've just about run out of new weapons and armors to forge, I spend most of my time completing un-marked quests or helping out other people with stuff.

Brick

Finally got my Great Jaggie set. Now I look like I'm wearing beef jerkey. Also, I think I'm starting to settle into a Lance weapon set. Question, though: How hard is it to switch to a new weapon later in the game? After a few of the big hunts, am I more or less set in the weapon I choose without having to do vulgar amounts of grinding?

tuffy

Question, though: How hard is it to switch to a new weapon later in the game? After a few of the big hunts, am I more or less set in the weapon I choose without having to do vulgar amounts of grinding?
Switching between ranged and non-ranged weapons can be expensive because the bow/gunner armor sets are almost always different. But switching from one blademaster type weapon to another is usually a lot easier since you won't need to put together a whole new suit for it (though some armor sets are better suited to certain weapons because of their skills). The process actually gets easier later in the game because you'll naturally accumulate a lot of spare parts just in the course of completing quests so long as you keep dumping them in the box rather than selling them when the quest is finished.

Brick

Switching between ranged and non-ranged weapons can be expensive because the bow/gunner armor sets are almost always different. But switching from one blademaster type weapon to another is usually a lot easier since you won't need to put together a whole new suit for it (though some armor sets are better suited to certain weapons because of their skills). The process actually gets easier later in the game because you'll naturally accumulate a lot of spare parts just in the course of completing quests so long as you keep dumping them in the box rather than selling them when the quest is finished.

Excellent. Thanks for the help!

isual

so which of my niggas still plays? a friend of mine is picking this up finally so I think I'm gonna get back into it soon. I already forgot the controls!

mah nigga. I'd play with you, cept I only have the 3ds version.....

is the 3ds version the inferior ? gots no internets

Mileena

Banned
Most have moved on. I played for a cple of hours last saturday, so, I guess technically I still play a little.
You rolling a new char or playing with your HR500million?

I grind too much in FFXIV to grind again on a new char in MH, sticking with mah girl. I wish they'd release MH4 on Wii U so we could have a bunch of people online again -_-

^^of course 3DS is inferior

PetrCobra

mah nigga. I'd play with you, cept I only have the 3ds version.....

is the 3ds version the inferior ? gots no internets

I think you just need a Wii U to get the 3DS version online. It can connect that way. Without Wii U, no dice.

I check tha GAF room regularly when I go online but never see anyone there. Must have been lucky to bump into two gaffers the other day.

tuffy

I check tha GAF room regularly when I go online but never see anyone there. Must have been lucky to bump into two gaffers the other day.
Since there's no way to hand a room off to someone else, it's pretty hard to keep a community going for any longer than the host can stay. But if you need a hand, it wouldn't hurt to try scheduling a meetup ahead of time and maybe some time zones/work/sleep schedules will align for a nice bout of monster hunting.

PetrCobra

Since there's no way to hand a room off to someone else, it's pretty hard to keep a community going for any longer than the host can stay. But if you need a hand, it wouldn't hurt to try scheduling a meetup ahead of time and maybe some time zones/work/sleep schedules will align for a nice bout of monster hunting.

True. I might go online this evening, maybe five or six hours from now. I'll be doing HR6 quests to get some g-rank armor finally and also some materials for upgrading my old weapons. A guy I've been playing with recently might jump to the room if he sees me playing. Otherwise I've been hunting with randoms only.

are there still people playing this online ?

randoms mosty ?l

At any time, I see 5 or 6 hundred people online. Not quite as good as the beginnings of Tri on Wii, but still pretty good, all things considered.

tuffy

True. I might go online this evening, maybe five or six hours from now. I'll be doing HR6 quests to get some g-rank armor finally and also some materials for upgrading my old weapons. A guy I've been playing with recently might jump to the room if he sees me playing. Otherwise I've been hunting with randoms only.
If all goes well, I should be able to swing by about 7 hours from now to lend a hand for a few hours if need be.

PetrCobra

If all goes well, I should be able to swing by about 7 hours from now to lend a hand for a few hours if need be.

Well, I'm in CET timezone so that would be a terrible morning for me tomorrow ;-) ... but I'll see. I usually play until 1AM at most, though.

isual

At any time, I see 5 or 6 hundred people online. Not quite as good as the beginnings of Tri on Wii, but still pretty good, all things considered.

ok cool.

lets say i buy a wii u for this, I know you can transfer your character to the Wii u. But can I do that and then just sell off my 3ds copy and just play on the wii u ?

Toxi

Banned
I had this happen with a Brachydios Tail.
6HyJSNq.gif

Guess I'll have to fight it again. :D

Brick

So, I just got the Circle Pad Pro for my 3DS specifically for MH3. Wow, it feels like a completely different game now. Taking a bit to retrain my brain, but I'm already loving it.

SuperSah

Banned
So, I just got the Circle Pad Pro for my 3DS specifically for MH3. Wow, it feels like a completely different game now. Taking a bit to retrain my brain, but I'm already loving it.

Yeah, much better experience with a CPP.

Gonna play now, thanks. :p

PetrCobra

I need to get that thing too, controls on Wii U Pro are so much better than the 3DS version without CPP.

andthebeatgoeson

What's the point of selling when you get a shit load of money from just going thru quests? Or do people not go thru every quest and just go online? 120 hours and still on HR4. But doing all the offline quests as well.

tuffy

What's the point of selling when you get a shit load of money from just going thru quests? Or do people not go thru every quest and just go online? 120 hours and still on HR4. But doing all the offline quests as well.
For new players, there's a temptation to sell parts early on in order to get the funds for a new weapon or piece of armor. But as I'm sure you know, it's wiser to hold on to those parts since it's hard to know if or when they might be needed down the line.

That said, when one gets in the habit of reflexively dumping everything into the box after quests, it's easy to wind up with way too many common parts that overflow into other precious box slots. If you're not going to ever need 150 G. Jaggi eyeballs, there's no harm in selling off 51 of them in order to free up a slot.

Not to mention when G rank gear starts getting expensive to forge and upgrade, farming Goldbeard solely to sell the parts is a very time-efficient way of getting cash.

Oxx

I was having a hard time adjusting from S+S to Great Sword, but it didn't seem to take a huge amount of precision to cut Barroth's tail off.

upandaway

I was having a hard time adjusting from S+S to Great Sword, but it didn't seem to take a huge amount of precision to cut Barroth's tail off.
Yeah tails just pop off with the GS. There have been very few if any times where I played GS and the tail wasn't cut by the end.
With Barroth, the difficulty highly depends on his size. Beyond a certain size (somewhere above average), the normal draw slash/charge just doesn't reach when he's standing normally, so the only way to hit it is paralyze/sleep or using the back slash, it's a bit of a pain.

Ughh G-Rank Wroggi quest is just to much that poison damage is to great! I gemed in Poison Charm to not get poisoned but it still does annoying damage. . . Any tips? I tried my Lance, GS, DS and no luck. . . They're just to much for em I think!

Edit: FINALLY Only took me 35 minutes had to kill them cap them separately

I think I'm gonna do the Gold Crown save lock because doing random quests is not working...

I fought about ten Stygian Zinogres but didn't get the small crown. :(

tuffy

A good way to get hardhorns might be "Plain Dangerous" with its 5% chances in each of the quest rewards. That just means a Black Diablos/Sand Barioth hunt, which is awful, but not as awful as the 2 Black Diablos "Death's Embrace" hunt.

Toxi

Banned
Thanks for the advice on killing Jhen. Finally managed to do it today. He has a LOT of carves.
Need brachydios gems. Arggh, so close to a dios+ gs.
Are you breaking the horn, carving the tail, and capturing it? All of those increase your gem chances. Got two of them yesterday using that strategy.
Gems. Gems... I wish I was hunting gems! I am grinding Diablos Hardhorns. -.-
That sounds like hell.

I don't mind farming a monster like Barioth or Lagiacrus who doesn't have much health or do too much damage, but Diablos... Nope nope nope. Even with Sonic Bombs, that thing still scares me.

tuffy

I don't mind farming a monster like Barioth or Lagiacrus who doesn't have much health or do too much damage, but Diablos... Nope nope nope. Even with Sonic Bombs, that thing still scares me.
I'm not ashamed to admit that Diablos sends me scrambling for my survival set which is usually enough to keep me from getting one-shotted by its underground launches so long as I eat for defense and keep my health maxed out at all times.

Chuckpebble

A good way to get hardhorns might be "Plain Dangerous" with its 5% chances in each of the quest rewards. That just means a Black Diablos/Sand Barioth hunt, which is awful, but not as awful as the 2 Black Diablos "Death's Embrace" hunt.

Yeah, I just discovered that one. It doesn't show up enough, though. It is kind of nice that you don't have to deal with S. Bari and B. Blos simultaneously, but then there's that Volvidon wandering around.

Yeah, I just discovered that one. It doesn't show up enough, though. It is kind of nice that you don't have to deal with S. Bari and B. Blos simultaneously, but then there's that Volvidon wandering around.

If you're doing it alone, just go to Moga Village and then go back to Tanzia Port: all [Advanced] quests will be refreshed.
If you're online, simply pick a random quest, launch it and abandon it immediately so that the quest list gets refreshed upon returning. 1 minute lost is worth it and people will do that in Diablos Hardhorn rooms if none of the players has the quest.

PetrCobra

I never played MH with ranged weapons before but a few days ago I played with some guys who were using bows and although significatly behind me in terms of hunter ranks, they seemed to be giving the monsters a pretty hard time (although the help of my overlevelled - for the quests we were doing - character surely helped). It was kind of fascinating to watch. So I decided that I want to try the bow. Having exhausted my zennies by upgrading blademaster weapons and armors, I put together an incomplete Jaggi X gunner set and went on to hunt a low rank Jaggi with some basic bow I got from an Ancient Shard.

I totally sucked though, took me way too long to put the little fucker down and I even had to use some Mega Potions, the controls were so confusing and chaotic.

Any advice? Should I keep trying?

I never played MH with ranged weapons before but a few days ago I played with some guys who were using bows and although significatly behind me in terms of hunter ranks, they seemed to be giving the monsters a pretty hard time (although the help of my overlevelled - for the quests we were doing - character surely helped). It was kind of fascinating to watch. So I decided that I want to try the bow. Having exhausted my zennies by upgrading blademaster weapons and armors, I put together an incomplete Jaggi X gunner set and went on to hunt a low rank Jaggi with some basic bow I got from an Ancient Shard.

I totally sucked though, took me way too long to put the little fucker down and I even had to use some Mega Potions, the controls were so confusing and chaotic.

Any advice? Should I keep trying?

Keep trying, the only advice I can give is practice makes perfect.

tuffy

Damn, I haven't gotten good freehunt monster in a while. How am I suppose to finish my Pumpkin armor today?!
I've heard that if you wait around after hunting the first monsters in the Moga forecast, other monsters may show up that are often better. But since I don't gear up to tackle any random thing that pops out of the ground, I prefer to spend 30 seconds on the Kelbi horn quest in order to advance days.

Top Bottom