• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Elija2

Only ways to get more slots is to equip a talisman (up to 3 slots) or a weapon with slots (up to 3 slots). Maybe solving your problem with capturing would be more profitable? What is the issue exactly?

It's just that I can never seem to tell when a monster is weak enough for me to trap it. I can see that it's drooling or limping, but each time I try to capture it it manages to break free. Then I try weakening it some more but I end up accidentally killing it.

I can see that it's drooling or limping, but each time I try to capture it it manages to break free.

Drooling (aka Fatigue mode) doesn't have anything to do with being capturable or not; only limping does.

Could you detail the process you use when capturing? Something may be wrong.

Elija2

Drooling (aka Fatigue mode) doesn't have anything to do with being capturable or not; only limping does.

Could you detail the process you use when capturing? Something may be wrong.

This is what happened last time I tried to capture a Qurupeco:

1. I keep attacking the Qurupeco until I see it limping.
2. I plant a trap and try to lure it but the Qurupeco flies away instead.
3. I follow it to where it landed but it doesn't seem to be limping anymore. I can't tell for sure because it keeps hopping and flying around.
4. The Qurupeco does what I believe is a heal roar so I think I need to attack it some more.
5. I attack it too much and accidentally kill it.

This is what happened last time I tried to capture a Qurupeco:

1. I keep attacking the Qurupeco until I see it limping.
2. I plant a trap and try to lure it but the Qurupeco flies away instead.
I think it is better for you to wait for the Qurupeco to exit the area so that you don't waste traps especially if you're at the beginning of the game where they are sort of expensive.

3. I follow it to where it landed but it doesn't seem to be limping anymore. I can't tell for sure because it keeps hopping and flying around.
It's okay, it should still be capturable. Most of the time, monsters will only limp when they escape an area or when they just walk casually (such as when they haven't noticed you). If they have noticed you in the new area, they'll attack you as usual and the attack animations don't show signs of limping.

4. The Qurupeco does what I believe is a heal roar so I think I need to attack it some more.
If Qurupeco does its healing song or goes to sleep, it will only regain a small amount of HP. If unfortunately this small healing is enough to put it from “capturable” back to “non-capturable” state, it's not a problem, just hit it while it's trapped until it gets captured (Tranq Bombs are in effect for a few seconds).

So basically just capture it at step #3.

Elija2

I think it is better for you to wait for the Qurupeco to exit the area so that you don't waste traps especially if you're at the beginning of the game where they are sort of expensive.

It's okay, it should still be capturable. Most of the time, monsters will only limp when they escape an area or when they just walk casually (such as when they haven't noticed you). If they have noticed you in the new area, they'll attack you as usual and the attack animations don't show signs of limping.

If Qurupeco does its healing song or goes to sleep, it will only regain a small amount of HP. If unfortunately this small healing is enough to put it from “capturable” back to “non-capturable” state, it's not a problem, just hit it while it's trapped until it gets captured (Tranq Bombs are in effect for a few seconds).

So basically just capture it at step #3.

Thanks for the advice. I have a question about tranq bombs though. Is there a certain number of tranq bombs you have to throw at a monster before it can be captured and does that number vary between monsters? My previous method was just to throw all the tranq bombs I have at a monster until it gets captured, but maybe that's not ideal.

Toxi

Banned
Thanks for the help everyone!
Forge one of the later HR armors.
I forged Jhen's armor for Mark of the Hero and it carried me through G-rank just fine until I found the G-armor set that I wanted to forge (Plesioth+golden lunecoil). I was using the same swax and I used gems and a talisman to get critical eye+3, and bombardier and get rid of worrywart.
I guess Azure Rathalos is a later HR armor, so I'll try just upgrading that until I can forge some G-rank gear.

Well you could craft the Ceadeus armor like I did in my Japanese game. Its a pain to work towards alone but I think it was worth it. However if you have online then you have no excuse not to make it. My HR brachy DS also carried me in G rank until I was able to upgrade them so you should be fine for the most part when it comes to weapons.
I don't have online. I do have the necessary rare materials to get the armor, so it's all just a manner of grinding out fur, luminous organs, etc. Grinding Ceadeus doesn't sound like much fun, though.

The easiest thing you can do right away to up your survival chances is to upgrade your armor with more spheres. With the free DLC, Armor Stones will occasionally turn up for sale in Granny's shop in port. Combine these with Eltalite Ore (which is all over the G rank Deserted Isle) to make Hvy Spheres, or Flutterflies (which sometimes turn up in the G rank Flooded Forest) to make Tru Spheres. Maxed out armor pieces will let you take more hits and all the materials can be collected without risk from the first G rank harvest tours.
Thanks. I did a Tundra Harvest Mission and got a few Heavy Armor Spheres, but the DLC method sounds much more convenient.

I made the Anvil Hammer with some Eltatite Ore, and it has white sharpness, which seems like it might be useful. I might try using that in combination with the Dios Axe+.

Thanks for the advice. I have a question about tranq bombs though. Is there a certain number of tranq bombs you have to throw at a monster before it can be captured and does that number vary between monsters? My previous method was just to throw all the tranq bombs I have at a monster until it gets captured, but maybe that's not ideal.
Two seemed to be standard, with three very rarely being necessary. I've even captured a monster with one before. It seems to depend more on the percentage of health left than the type of monster.

Is there a certain number of tranq bombs you have to throw at a monster before it can be captured and does that number vary between monsters? My previous method was just to throw all the tranq bombs I have at a monster until it gets captured, but maybe that's not ideal.

It's always 2 Tranq Bombs except if you've got Status Atk Up / Down armor skill (with Down you need to throw 3 Tranq Bombs). Doesn't have anything to do with the monster, the body part the bomb hits, etc.

However with lag in online mode you may need to throw more if you're not hosting the monster.

derwalde

so after a long break im back for MH3U. ive played ~100hrs with the GS and ~100hrs with the lance. please recommend me a new, FUN weapon that plays different from the two above (i dont think im into range).

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
so after a long break im back for MH3U. ive played ~100hrs with the GS and ~100hrs with the lance. please recommend me a new, FUN weapon that plays different from the two above (i dont think im into range).
Remove the weights and go for Dual Blades? You can DASH with the DB.

Toxi

Banned
Sword and Shield plays very differently from either of those. It's a lot of fast hits with good movement speed and rolling evasion, and you can use items at any time (which removes the normal dynamic of sheathed and unsheathed). You also have a ton of choices, although you're have to use them thanks to SnS's low raw and high elemental.

Also, GREEN PLESIOTH IS HUGE. It turns out I got a gold crown Green Plesioth on my very first go. I checked my log and the largest Plesioth I have killed so far was 2304.32 cm. The Green Plesioth I faced? 2751.76 centimeters. I felt like I could never run far away enough to avoid its tail swipes on land because it was so gigantic. Carted me twice and I was cautious as hell the third time I faced it. I am never facing another one of those assholes again.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
what skills do you recommend?
Hearplugs (because you have to grab most occasions to do damage with the DB and hearplugs give you opportunities to get free hits)

Stuff that helps with sharpness and charging times for the demon mode bar.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
what skills do you recommend?
Evade+1 or 2, and the staples sharpness+1 and razor sharp

Once you get used to it you can dash through most roars so earplugs aren't worth the extra slots. If you plan to play without juices then the runner skill for slowing stamina drain is great too in combination with felyne blackbelt.

andthebeatgoeson

You can dash/roll through roars with Evade +1/+2? Well fuck me.

Just found that out today. Hit G rank. GGGGGGG Gunit. Sounds like that's a move for me. Evasion 1, Handicraft. I'm a GS user and love that extra sharpness.

Anyone with a good early G rank armor? Something I can handle farming now. Still just have decent HR armor.

Toxi

Banned
Well you could craft the Ceadeus armor like I did in my Japanese game. Its a pain to work towards alone but I think it was worth it. However if you have online then you have no excuse not to make it. My HR brachy DS also carried me in G rank until I was able to upgrade them so you should be fine for the most part when it comes to weapons.
I finally took this advice and crafted Ceadeus Z armor and then I got a sharpness +3 talisman from Tundra mining with two gem slots.

So I have ten gem slots (two groups of three slots and one pair!), HGE, Water Attack+1, and Sharpness+1.

Best advice I've received, and I didn't even mind killing Goldilocks all those times. Thanks so much. :D

Anura

I finally took this advice and crafted Ceadeus Z armor and then I got a sharpness +3 talisman from Tundra mining with two gem slots.

So I have ten gem slots (two groups of three slots and one pair!), HGE, Water Attack+1, and Sharpness+1.

Best advice I've received, and I didn't even mind killing Goldilocks all those times. Thanks so much. :D
Yeah it's an amazing set! Glad I could help.

andthebeatgoeson

How many times? Just got carted twice by brachy within 10 minutes.

Might need some better armor. I know I need to hit and run more with my great sword but I'm impatient.

upandaway

Might need some better armor. I know I need to hit and run more with my great sword but I'm impatient.
Yeah in G rank you just get to a point where you know deep down that you could do it with what you have, it will only take you a gajillion more minutes. Really what's the point, just upgrade and get hit to your heart's content.

Though I say that, by that point in the game I was already after completing LR and HR with minimum armor, so I was burnt out on the whole playing really good thing (it may be different for you). Funnily enough G rank is my unwind rank, it's all reversed. Lots of fun though, I'll probably do it the same way for 4.

Hope to play with you guys next week maybe, I wanna show off my para sets.

Toxi

Banned
My hunter's guide says I killed Goldbeard seven times, but I was lucky enough to get two Dark Dragongems early on, so the rest were just fur and luminous organs. Helios Z seems much preferable to the normal Ceadeus Helios X set, which requires two Lagia Sapphires and five Earth Dragongems (Assuming those come from Jhen Mohran).

The main issue with Ceadeus Z armor is that it gives Blunt Edge, which reduces sharpness really fast and is a bad skill to have. You can't gem out Blunt Edge with Sharpness Gems because that removes the Sharpness+1 bonus (Which is a different skill, Handicraft... The translation team really muddled things up there). I got lucky with my talismans and got one that got rid of Blunt Edge, so you should check out if any give a bonus to sharpness or handicraft before you try farming Goldbeard Ceadeus.

Prade

Just found that out today. Hit G rank. GGGGGGG Gunit. Sounds like that's a move for me. Evasion 1, Handicraft. I'm a GS user and love that extra sharpness.

Anyone with a good early G rank armor? Something I can handle farming now. Still just have decent HR armor.

GS user? Anything with crit draw and sharp +1.

Anura

The main issue with Ceadeus Z armor is that it gives Blunt Edge, which reduces sharpness really fast and is a bad skill to have. You can't gem out Blunt Edge with Sharpness Gems because that removes the Sharpness+1 bonus (Which is a different skill, Handicraft... The translation team really muddled things up there). I got lucky with my talismans and got one that got rid of Blunt Edge, so you should check out if any give a bonus to sharpness or handicraft before you try farming Goldbeard Ceadeus.

If anyone is having trouble with this part you should just make the X waist part instead of the Z one. With the X waist and the rest being Z you lose water attack +1 but still have HG ears and sharpness+1 without blunt edge muddling it up. The X waist is also 2 slots where the Z is three so I guess you lose a slot too.

Elija2

Oh my god, the Gobul is the worst monster ever. As if underwater battles weren't awful enough, this monster makes it absolute hell.

Insaniac

Oh my god, the Gobul is the worst monster ever. As if underwater battles weren't awful enough, this monster makes it absolute hell.

do you know how to fish it out? Grabbing a frog at zone 2 you can fish it out by the lillies and fight it on land for a majority of the battle. When I learned this I stopped hating the Gobul fight

Elija2

do you know how to fish it out? Grabbing a frog at zone 2 you can fish it out by the lillies and fight it on land for a majority of the battle. When I learned this I stopped hating the Gobul fight

I don't get how I'm supposed to fish him out. Do I have to lure him to zone 4 and then use the frog?

andthebeatgoeson

I don't get how I'm supposed to fish him out. Do I have to lure him to zone 4 and then use the frog?
He should be on zone 4 already and you just cast the frog in that one spot next to the water. But you may have to wait for him to come over. I usually call chaka and karamba so he's not distracted.

Insaniac

Yeah he starts in zone 4 as long as you get there quickly enough you can fish him out with a frog press 'Y' while the frog is highlighted in your item bar to fish with that bait, then just wait and he will swim over

Elija2

He should be on zone 4 already and you just cast the frog in that one spot next to the water. But you may have to wait for him to come over. I usually call chaka and karamba so he's not distracted.

Yeah he starts in zone 4 as long as you get there quickly enough you can fish him out with a frog press 'Y' while the frog is highlighted in your item bar to fish with that bait, then just wait and he will swim over

I'm doing the 3 star Urgent Quest so I have to go to area 6 to trigger the cutscene before it'll show up. Since there's no fishing spot in that area I can't fish it out, and I don't know how to lure it to area 4 besides waiting until it goes there on it's own.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Luckily Globul is one of those monsters that doesn't scale well with weapons. Eventually you'll have equipment so strong that you can brute force the fight by poking it to death regardless of how many hits you take.

Apenheul

Hmm I did not expect to see the ending credits so soon (oh hi 8-4), I really thought G Rank was included with the Village Quests but apparently I was wrong. High Rank was way too easy though, I don't remember failing a single quest. Well, I guess G Rank / Port Quests is where the game actually starts :)

XDDX

Hmm I did not expect to see the ending credits so soon (oh hi 8-4), I really thought G Rank was included with the Village Quests but apparently I was wrong. High Rank was way too easy though, I don't remember failing a single quest. Well, I guess G Rank / Port Quests is where the game actually starts :)
I thought High Rank is a pretty good step up. Stuff takes a lot longer to kill at the start and the new attacks/sub species can be pretty dangerous.

Gattuso

I decided to go back and start doing all of the quests i skipped in the port and i finished shroom patrol with only 24 seconds left on the timer. i had one to go when the timer said around 16 minutes was left. The game just hates giving me what i want.

Top Bottom