• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Anura

I decided to go back and start doing all of the quests i skipped in the port and i finished shroom patrol with only 24 seconds left on the timer. i had one to go when the timer said around 16 minutes was left. The game just hates giving me what i want.
Wow that sounds awful!

Gattuso

Wow that sounds awful!

It really was. I went in there expecting it to take no time at all and came out with it taking the full 50 minutes. I could see it if I was doing jhen or something by myself but that was insane. I'm just glad i made it in time, I really didn't want to have to do it again.

tuffy

It really was. I went in there expecting it to take no time at all and came out with it taking the full 50 minutes. I could see it if I was doing jhen or something by myself but that was insane. I'm just glad i made it in time, I really didn't want to have to do it again.
It's a quest that probably takes no time at all with multiple people hitting each mushroom spot, but takes ages to do solo. Even with Gathering +2 there's just not enough mushrooms so I had to circle the map several times waiting for them to respawn. I remember it took me a very long time also and the only reason I stuck with it is because I was a completionist.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Its so hard to choose what weapons I want. What weapons are you guys working on upgrading and currently using?
I've been conservative on my weapon crafting, just passed HR7 to jump directly to HR31 and I've been using a Lagia Great Sword, an upgrade of the water katana you get from the SP and the Brachy Dual Blades. I want to get into Gunlance/Switch Axe/Bows eventually.

upandaway

Its so hard to choose what weapons I want. What weapons are you guys working on upgrading and currently using?
I've upgraded one of every element in the weapon classes that I use (if there are more than one, I choose based on what maxes higher), but for a while all I've been using is the slime or the para weapons. There's just no point, in late G quests, most quests have more than 1 monster and they don't share elemental weaknesses. Slime or status is the way to go.

Feels kinda wasteful because I spent a lot of time upgrading my some weapons that I barely used after the since HR7 or so.

tuffy

I'm still light bowgunning all the things. I dabble with other weapons once in awhile, but it feels weird to run up to monsters to hit them in the face so I always go back to shooting at weak spots from a distance.

My go-to weapons have long been the Diamond Crest and Azurathling Sunsear for their 4 shot normal lv. 2 rapid-fire volleys, good elemental rapid-fires (ice and fire, respectively) and good secondary rapid-fires (pierce lv. 1 and crag lv. 1, respectively). But I've also been using the Nether Phloxion, Plesioth Drencher and Willuminator against element-weak monsters. Since the light bowgun is an element-heavy weapon, it's important to pick the right tool for the job.

One day I'll track down a God's Isle via an ancient shard to complete my collection, but I'm still mining for that one.

derwalde

I've upgraded one of every element in the weapon classes that I use (if there are more than one, I choose based on what maxes higher), but for a while all I've been using is the slime or the para weapons. There's just no point, in late G quests, most quests have more than 1 monster and they don't share elemental weaknesses. Slime or status is the way to go.

Feels kinda wasteful because I spent a lot of time upgrading my some weapons that I barely used after the since HR7 or so.

dont recommend him slime weapons :( the less people use slime the better!

Insaniac

Go with what you enjoy for now. THen if things feel stale switch and experiment with a new one. I find it refreshes my interest. I started with the dual swords, then I tried the bow, then gunlance (the new stuff between MH3 and MH3U) then I went back to my usuals (Hammer and lance and LS) Then I tried Heavy bowgun for the first time ever, and really enjoyed it.

Chuckpebble

dont recommend him slime weapons :( the less people use slime the better!

I've been working on a complete gunlance collection and avoiding slime weapons the whole time because of this stigma they have. I just finally got the maxed out brachy gunlance and decided to take it for a quick spin on an Uragaan. Honestly, I feel I was doing much better with a well matched element. Maybe its just the Kelbi Bow that's imbalanced?

andthebeatgoeson

Is it wrong I've been using only one class of weapon for 200 hours? Want to get real good a the GS. Seems so strategic. If all weapon classes have some many possibilities for varied gameplay, this might be my game of the forever. You can rush in and swing without a care or hit and run to save health or try and only get the highest charged swing off. I'm sure there are people who do a lot of guess work and get some sweet moves off with this thing.

I'm excited again because I've been forced to use block more but it opens up a new aspect of the gameplay. G rank will do that, I guess.

Is it wrong I've been using only one class of weapon for 200 hours? Want to get real good a the GS. Seems so strategic. If all weapon classes have some many possibilities for varied gameplay, this might be my game of the forever. You can rush in and swing without a care or hit and run to save health or try and only get the highest charged swing off. I'm sure there are people who do a lot of guess work and get some sweet moves off with this thing.

I'm excited again because I've been forced to use block more but it opens up a new aspect of the gameplay. G rank will do that, I guess.

I was pretty much the same, only my weapon of choice was the lance. In Tri, I played lance exclusively. Now, I don't remember my play time exactly in Tri, but it has to have been around 300-400 hours. Only occasions I didn't use the lance were the ones where I simply couldn't. For instance I finished all the arena quests on S, and there were a couple of arena quests where the lance just wasn't available, so I had to use something else. I remember I had a really difficult time doing one of those solo arena ones, because there was no lance to use, and I had a really hard time achieving S rank with the other weapons. It was a pain in the ass.

I started off the same way in P3rd (I imported the Japanese version for the PS3 'cause I needed my Monster Hunter fix), and I was always intrigued by the Gun Lance and thought about using it ... turns out it wasn't quite my cup of tea.
Anyway, for some reason or other I remember I needed a good raw damage weapon for a certain quest I can't remember anymore. I only had good element lances, however there weren't any raw damage ones available. I could craft a pretty great raw damage GS though, so I went ahead and did that. Used it a couple of times (in certain arena quests in Tri I used it already, so I was more or less accustomed with the basics) and grew to love its mechanics more and more and in the end I played more GS than lance.

In 3 U now, I started to play with lance to get up to G rank, now I play with both, although I still prefer my old love the lance. (Something like 650 lance uses to 340 GS)

I can definitely tell you though that different weapons feel very different and that it's a completely new experience for the most part. You have to play a GS very differently than a lance, and gunning is an entirely new thing all over again. That's part of why I love the game so much. Also, if I grow tired of using the lance (happens very, very, very rarely) I can always switch back to the GS for refreshingly different mechanics. Or I switch simply because certain monsters are easier for me to hunt with the GS than with the lance and vice versa.
I would tell you to try out a couple of other weapons, just so you get to know them a little bit better, if only to understand the basic principles behind the weapons. Although having played 200 hours already, I'm sure you know your way around already. And who knows, maybe you find another weapon that works great for you.

isual

not at all. In MHFU I've been using the LS, and then when I got MH3U I used the LS. Its just up to familiarity.

Do note, in MH1 I used the GS and Lance a lot.

DoubleTap

It figures that my 2 weapons of choice have stigmas attached to them. I love Long Swords and I'm currently a Brisant Demolisher Switch Axe user.

Doesn't matter I guess, since I only play solo.

Anura

It figures that my 2 weapons of choice have stigmas attached to them. I love Long Swords and I'm currently a Brisant Demolisher Switch Axe user.

It sucks about that LS stigma... Especially considering they're one of the most damaging weapons in the game when in good hands.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

Slime is pretty balanced in solo. It's strong, but not as OP as in multi. There are elemental variations that can beat it out in damage.

Toxi

Banned
Whoo, I cleared the last key quest for Hunter Rank 6. On to the urgent...

Two Brachydios
? Are you fucking kidding me?

What do people have against Long Swords and Switch Axes?
They apparently send people flying more often online.

DoubleTap

Slime is pretty balanced in solo. It's strong, but not as OP as in multi. There are elemental variations that can beat it out in damage.

Pardon my ignorance, what does "OP" mean?

Whoo, I cleared the last key quest for Hunter Rank 6. On to the urgent...

Two Brachydios
? Are you fucking kidding me?

I just think of them as one. Dung bombs are your saviour. I don't mind the 2 monster quests since they seem to have lesser health than if they have the quest to themselves.

tuffy

Pardon my ignorance, what does "OP" mean?
OverPowered, in this instance.
I just think of them as one. Dung bombs are your saviour. I don't mind the 2 monster quests since they seem to have lesser health than if they have the quest to themselves.
Two monsters in an open map like the Tundra isn't so bad since they can be separated by dung bombs - or sometimes one will just leave on its own. But two in an enclosed space like an Arena or the Tower is sure to keep you on your toes.

DoubleTap

OverPowered, in this instance.

Two monsters in an open map like the Tundra isn't so bad since they can be separated by dung bombs - or sometimes one will just leave on its own. But two in an enclosed space like an Arena or the Tower is sure to keep you on your toes.

Thanks!

Oh man I loathe arena fights. I thought the HR6 urgent quest (Sticky Situation) Toxi was referring to was in the Tundra. I maybe recalling it incorrectly.

tuffy

Thanks!

Oh man I loathe arena fights. I thought the HR6 urgent quest (Sticky Situation) Toxi was referring to was in the Tundra. I maybe recalling it incorrectly.
Yeah, Sticky Situation's in the Tundra which has a lot of open space, so it'll be a challenge but not too awful as long as they can be dealt with one at a time. But a lot of the 8 star quests love to stick multiple monsters in enclosed spaces which ups the challenge considerably.

Anura

Yeah, Sticky Situation's in the Tundra which has a lot of open space, so it'll be a challenge but not too awful as long as they can be dealt with one at a time. But a lot of the 8 star quests love to stick multiple monsters in enclosed spaces which ups the challenge considerably.

Smoke bombs are your friends in this case. Things like 4 point formation can be done solo with ease when using smoke bombs

DoubleTap

Well, shit. Not looking forward to HR8 at all. I'll be doing some farming then. lol.

Smoke bombs are your friends in this case. Things like 4 point formation can be done solo with ease when using smoke bombs

Can you elaborate I bit more? I haven't used Smoke bombs at all, not even to try.

tuffy

Can you elaborate I bit more? I haven't used Smoke bombs at all, not even to try.
The idea is that you throw one down before the other monster spots you and it'll go on ignoring you so long as the smoke holds out. That way you can deal with the first one while the second is busy wandering around doing its own thing on the other side of the room. But if you wind up getting spotted between smoke bomb applications or the second monster wanders into the fray anyway, then things will get hectic.

DoubleTap

The idea is that you throw one down before the other monster spots you and it'll go on ignoring you so long as the smoke holds out. That way you can deal with the first one while the second is busy wandering around doing its own thing on the other side of the room. But if you wind up getting spotted between smoke bomb applications or the second monster wanders into the fray anyway, then things will get hectic.

Thanks! Still not looking forward to it. I've been avoiding Alatreon by doing G Rank. I may just take care of that before HR8.

Toxi

Banned
I finally finished Sticky Situation. Never again. :-|

And wow, Sand Barioth has some serious bullshit. Three twisters on the screen at once, why not?

Fistwell

I'm not getting a copy until tomorrow but I'd be happy to play in the future lol
Why hello thar stranger. I could play over the weekend, sure, let me know when you'll be around!

I might be around later today for the evening, can't promise anything though.. you gotta say these things earlier :(
lol sry brah. Woke up sick like a dog, called in sick, wasn't exactly planning on not coming in to work today.

Anura

Why hello thar stranger. I could play over the weekend, sure, let me know when you'll be around!

lol sry brah. Woke up sick like a dog, called in sick, wasn't exactly planning on not coming in to work today.
You need to help me rank up a rajang quest! Or if you want to play 3U I guess that's fine too... Of course you would need to send me your NNID

Anura

Rajang!? Why on earth would I want to fight that? -_-' ;3

srs? thought we was brahs brah, you're not even in my brah-list. My NNID: Fistwell.
Great! I will send you a friend request and join you now if you're still on
Edit: Wait you're already on my list... Man I'm dumb lol

Fistwell

Coming online just now. Phone call took forever.

1) remind me, what is the "usual place?"
2) Alon, you guys are full. *sadface*
3) Anura, what's your NNID again?

Fistwell

k, doing one with these people then I guess I'll bail and join you guys.

Done, will join you guys in a min. (if theres room)

If not I'll just open one, fuck it.

In! ;)

Aneurism, where art thou?

Bracket

Thinking of doing a mini-marathon of MH3U today. What's the usual room for you guys? I'm only HR4 and am currently farming that 2 G. Jaggi quest to finish Jaggi S armor set, though.

My NNID is Sundull if you wish to add me!

Fistwell

Thinking of doing a mini-marathon of MH3U today. What's the usual room for you guys? I'm only HR4 and am currently farming that 2 G. Jaggi quest to finish Jaggi S armor set, though.

My NNID is Sundull if you wish to add me!
We have a spot open if you want to join up.

Thanks for the hunts guys! Sry we ended up not doing that many w/ you bracket. Next time!

Top Bottom