• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Fistwell

That was good lighthearted fun. Wasn't really in the mood for concentrating on hard monsters after that savage nonsense.
Yeah I had fun. We weren't far off on that dble savge. I was GROSSLY mal-equipped for it (my set was weak to drg...). Should've worn something more appropriate, wouldnt have gotten one shotted like an idiot. ;_;

sry guys ! didn't remembered i was the host !
No sweat, needed a break as well anyways. Nice playing with you btw!

Brutalx2

Yeah I had fun. We weren't far off on that dble savge. I was GROSSLY mal-equipped for it (my set was weak to drg...). Should've worn something more appropriate, wouldnt have gotten one shotted like an idiot. ;_;

No sweat, needed a break as well anyways. Nice playing with you btw!

LOL though i died due to lack of focus XDD
But yea, it was funny :p

Juraash

Is there a decent amount of GAF people playing this online? Just got back into it after a decent break but I don't really know anyone else who plays.

tuffy

Is there a decent amount of GAF people playing this online? Just got back into it after a decent break but I don't really know anyone else who plays.
I still hop on whenever I can, though my time zone and schedule don't always give me a chance to join the GAF meetups outside of weekends.

Toxi

Banned
I started doing the arena, and wow, I suck. :( Lagombi was easy of course, and I found Barioth pretty easy too, but Purple Ludroth takes forever.

Hey everyone,

I was thinking about picking up a used copy of this game for my Wii U. I don't have any friends that own a Wii U, so I was wondering if I would be able to join online matches with random players? If so, I think I'll definitely have to purchase this. If online play is limited to friends, I may have to pass

Hey everyone,

I was thinking about picking up a used copy of this game for my Wii U. I don't have any friends that own a Wii U, so I was wondering if I would be able to join online matches with random players? If so, I think I'll definitely have to purchase this. If online play is limited to friends, I may have to pass

You can join people you don't know, text chat, voice chat with them. Europe/Australia+America are on the same server. Japan version has its own server.

Does GAF still play this game with any regularity? Currently trying to do some quests and it can be somewhat hard to get a good group going.

Elija2

So my next quest has me going against the Lagiacrus. Any tips on fighting it? I already hate water battles so anything to make this one easier is appreciated.

Toxi

Banned
So my next quest has me going against the Lagiacrus. Any tips on fighting it? I already hate water battles so anything to make this one easier is appreciated.
Fire is the Lagiacrus's weakness.

Lance and Gunlance can block the trickier attacks underwater and are my preferred weapon for fighting Lagiacrus, but the beast is doable with anything.

Eat at the canteen to get Felyne Thundercaller.

The breast is the weak point, and the breaks are the horns, claws, breast, back, and tail.

When Lagiacrus's spikes are glowing, it will have electricity properties on some of its attacks, so be extra aware.

Nullberries can cancel the thunderblight Lagiacrus leaves.

When Lagiacrus moves to the weird cave area, it's about to go to sleep.

Kosh

I don't have a great understanding on this game, but I believe this game relies heavily on the community. Is it too late to get into this game? Amazon is having it on sale in 1.5 hours and was curious if it was worth getting or if I would be too far behind to catch up with the rest of the community.

tuffy

I don't have a great understanding on this game, but I believe this game relies heavily on the community. Is it too late to get into this game? Amazon is having it on sale in 1.5 hours and was curious if it was worth getting or if I would be too far behind to catch up with the rest of the community.
Although it's fun to play with other people in cooperative groups, that's not a requirement by any means. The whole game can be played solo. There's even a lengthy solo-only area with a lot of quests designed to bring new players up-to-speed. In addition, the online multiplayer area is divided into sections for newbies and ones for experienced players, so anyone can jump into the game online at any time and find other people of comparable skill to hunt with.

It's never too late to hop in and get started.

upandaway

260 hours of my save file were played on 3DS, and there's not a second of multiplayer in that time. I would say there's definitely a bottleneck to hit between 250-300 hours when you're only playing solo, but I feel like saying that would get me slapped by someone.

Most games would hit that point in a quarter of the time :lol

Anura

260 hours of my save file were played on 3DS, and there's not a second of multiplayer in that time. I would say there's definitely a bottleneck to hit between 250-300 hours when you're only playing solo, but I feel like saying that would get me slapped by someone.

I had about 500+ hours on my JPN game and that was before the Wii U version even came out so it was all single player. After that I put 600+ more hours once the English version came out with online.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

I've got about 250 on the 3DS as well and got to endgame solo just fine. There are some walls you might hit but there's always better equipment you can get.

Just transferred my 3DS save over to the Wii U version yesterday. Going to be online in a few hours if anyone wants to play.

Anura

I've got about 250 on the 3DS as well and got to endgame solo just fine. There are some walls you might hit but there's always better equipment you can get.

Just transferred my 3DS save over to the Wii U version yesterday. Going to be online in a few hours if anyone wants to play.
I might hop on for a bit, I'm getting tired of farming Shaggy Magara anyways

Post back once you make the room and I will if I can join

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I might hop on for a bit, I'm getting tired of farming Shaggy Magara anyways

Post back once you make the room and I will if I can join
Not sure how to create a room or if I have to add you lol, messing around with randoms right now

My NNID is Weissritter

Edit - Tested a bunch and seems like I can join people but they can't join me

Elija2

I'm currently rocking the Jaggi armor set, but I'm wondering if I should bother fully upgrading it or if I should just move on and start forging a better set. I don't know how rare Armor Sphere+ are so I'd rather not waste them. What do you guys think?

I'm currently rocking the Jaggi armor set, but I'm wondering if I should bother fully upgrading it or if I should just move on and start forging a better set. I don't know how rare Armor Sphere+ are so I'd rather not waste them. What do you guys think?

Armor Spheres are not rare at all besides Tru Armor Spheres (the endgame ones). What you should be looking at first would be armor skills. Technically if you don't die and don't have the impression spending too much time to kill a monster you're fine with what you have, especially at the beginning of the game where money/resources are quite limited.

Elija2

Armor Spheres are not rare at all besides Tru Armor Spheres (the endgame ones). What you should be looking at first would be armor skills. Technically if you don't die and don't have the impression spending too much time to kill a monster you're fine with what you have, especially at the beginning of the game where money/resources are quite limited.

I think all my deaths could be avoided if I start acting more careful. I have a tendency to just run into a monster and start hacking-and-slashing.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure if I should continue using the Sword & Shield as my weapon. I like that it's fast and that I can block but it does low raw damage. Apparently I should be using different elements to inflict the most damage, but I don't know how to do that.

tuffy

I think all my deaths could be avoided if I start acting more careful. I have a tendency to just run into a monster and start hacking-and-slashing.
That's probably the trickiest thing to learn. Although the game will let you attack as often as you like, a good hunt feels more like a turn-based game - sort of a move/countermove dance with times to dodge and times to attack based on what the monster's doing. But predicting what's going to come next gets easier with experience.
Speaking of which, I'm not sure if I should continue using the Sword & Shield as my weapon. I like that it's fast and that I can block but it does low raw damage. Apparently I should be using different elements to inflict the most damage, but I don't know how to do that.
No harm in trying out a few different weapons to see if something else is more enjoyable. But taking advantage of elements is mostly about learning what elements monsters are weak to and crafting a variety of weapons to do different kinds of damage. Like Great Jaggi's weak to fire, so it'd be ideal to bring a sword which does flame damage, but you might want something else against a Rathian who's resistant to fire.

Elija2

No harm in trying out a few different weapons to see if something else is more enjoyable. But taking advantage of elements is mostly about learning what elements monsters are weak to and crafting a variety of weapons to do different kinds of damage. Like Great Jaggi's weak to fire, so it'd be ideal to bring a sword which does flame damage, but you might want something else against a Rathian who's resistant to fire.

So I'd have to forge/buy multiple weapons, each with different elemental properties? I'd rather not deal with that. I did try the other weapon classes for a bit but none of them felt right to me. They were either too slow (long sword) or lost their sharpness too quickly (dual sword) or were too complicated (switch axe). I guess that's all part of keeping everything balanced.

Anura

So I'd have to forge/buy multiple weapons, each with different elemental properties? I'd rather not deal with that. I did try the other weapon classes for a bit but none of them felt right to me. They were either too slow (long sword) or lost their sharpness too quickly (dual sword) or were too complicated (switch axe). I guess that's all part of keeping everything balanced.

Once you get far enough to forge slime weapons you could just use that all the time.

Ken

I'm pretty sure I asked this before in here but I can't remember the answer but is there a way to play this with two Wii Us locally without connecting to the internet?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm pretty sure I asked this before in here but I can't remember the answer but is there a way to play this with two Wii Us locally without connecting to the internet?

Don't believe so. The WiiU version can't look for rooms locally IIRC, when we play the WiiU guy always has to host.

The Technomancer

Boo. Thanks.

I don't really want to subject someone to play MH4 as their first MH but that local 3DS play...

Well 3DS's can play MH3U locally without a WiiU. We usually have the WiiU guy host the room because he likes the big screen but we played at someone else's place a month ago and ran it all on 3DS's

Ken

Well 3DS's can play MH3U locally without a WiiU. We usually have the WiiU guy host the room because he likes the big screen but we played at someone else's place a month ago and ran it all on 3DS's

But I'd still need the internet to play 3DS with WiiU right? I also don't have a Circle Pad for my XL since I upgraded from the regular 3DS with one so it'd be weird playing without it.

But MH4 is amazing!
Unless Shagaru Magara doesn't want to drop his gem...

It is! I'm at 3 star village quest right now I think but I took a break from it. Should pick it up soon.

The Technomancer

But I'd still need the internet to play 3DS with WiiU right? I also don't have a Circle Pad for my XL since I upgraded from the regular 3DS with one so it'd be weird playing without it.

No. The WiiU can host a room that the 3DS can join locally. the 3DS can host a room that other 3DS's can join. The WiiU just can't host for another WiiU locally.

This is how it works for us every week, one dude hosting on WiiU and three of us on 3DS's

Ken

No. The WiiU can host a room that the 3DS can join locally. the 3DS can host a room that other 3DS's can join. The WiiU just can't host for another WiiU locally.

This is how it works for us every week, one dude hosting on WiiU and three of us on 3DS's

Cool. I'll try that then. Thanks!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously, did anyone here play the 3ds version up to the end without resorting to playing the Wii u version?
I did, just bought the Wii U version last week so I can do some direct feed recording. Framerate on the 3DS version in much nicer though

Ken

Seriously, did anyone here play the 3ds version up to the end without resorting to playing the Wii u version?

I actually bought my Wii U with and specifcally for HD Monster Hunter so it'd have been a waste if I didn't use it. > >

I will throw in that I'm playing MH4 exclusively on 3DS though!! :DDD

Top Bottom