• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

DaBoss

Seriously, did anyone here play the 3ds version up to the end without resorting to playing the Wii u version?
I did up until there were multiple monsters in an arena in G-Rank. I dropped the game after that since it would just take way too long and I had no interest in trying.

Syril

If you've seen everything in the original Monster Hunter Tri, how far into this one do the new monsters start showing up, not counting subspecies of the ones that were already in Tri?

also

Banned
If you've seen everything in the original Monster Hunter Tri, how far into this one do the new monsters start showing up, not counting subspecies of the ones that were already in Tri?
Order of appearance in the Village quests (single player). (Note that you might find these monsters roaming around on earlier quests but I only listed when the first quest to actually hunt them becomes available)

Lv. 2 (low rank)
-Arzuros
Lv. 3
-Great Wroggi (don't know if you would count this as a subspecies)
Lv. 4
-Lagombi
Lv. 5
-Duramboros
-Nibelsnarf
-Volvidon
Lv. 6 (High rank begins here)
-Plesioth
Lv. 8
-Brachydios
-Zinogre
Lv. 9
-Nargacuga

Order of appearance in the port/guild's quests. (same conditions as above)
Lv. 1 (Low rank)
-Lagombi
Lv. 2
-Duramboros
-Nibelsnarf
Lv.3 (High rank begins here)
-Plesioth
-Great Wroggi
-Brachydios
Lv. 4
-Zinogre
Lv. 5
-Nargacuga
Lv.6 (G rank begins here)
-Arzuros
-Volvidon
Lv. 8
-Dire Miralis

Dire Miralis as well as the subspecies of new monsters (Green Plesioth, Rust Duramboros, Green Nargacuga, Translucent Nargacuga, Stygian Zinogre, ) and some subspecies of old monsters (Savage Deviljho, Abyssal Lagiacrus, Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos, Goldbeard Ceadeus, Hallowed Jhen Mohran) can only be fought in the port's G rank quests (lv. 6-8).

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Recorded a stygian zinogre heroics run with dual swords

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YHwF24cwfk

Ended up being several minutes slower than a regular gear run because of how short the fight is. Also I was too chicken to attack during charged mode dragon orb setups because it would OHKO me lol. I'm sure there's a better armor/skills setup for it out there with lower defense but I can't be bothered to look for one at this point.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
MH3U is also his best iteration unfortunately. He's super nerfed in MH4 and isn't really suitable for speedruns due to the nature of some of the new combat mechanics. Hopefully Capcpom will come up with something that has as fun and unique of a moveset as Zinogre in 4G or later.

Ken

cant even remember if i encountered zinogre yet in 4. last new thing i remember fighting was the nerusykura or tetsukabura, whichever comes later.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Does anyone think the 3DS version is worth it if you have the WiiU version? I'm tempted to get it but it's still $30.

If you have the WiiU version? Not unless you see yourself either hunting a lot on the go (like if you have a long bus ride) or else have real life friends and you want to play with them somewhere else. Even in the first case I probably wouldn't recommend it.

If you have the WiiU version? Not unless you see yourself either hunting a lot on the go (like if you have a long bus ride) or else have real life friends and you want to play with them somewhere else. Even in the first case I probably wouldn't recommend it.

That's what I figured. I feel I would play it on the go more but I'm not sure. I'll hold off for now.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That's what I figured. I feel I would play it on the go more but I'm not sure. I'll hold off for now.

The main problem is that doing G-Rank quests solo is really really difficult (I've managed like...three so far) so you'd probably be mostly doing high-rank stuff on the go. Which is fun but probably not $30 fun, especially if you can buy a whole new game instead

upandaway

Does anyone think the 3DS version is worth it if you have the WiiU version? I'm tempted to get it but it's still $30.
I played Tri for an absurd amount of hours on the Wii (well, duh), and 3U for an absurd amount of hours on the 3DS (even most of G-rank, alone) - so it really, really works well either way. It completely depends on your lifestyle.

Clockwork5

Picked this up over the weekend. This is my first MH game and I am really getting into it. Just finished killing the giant jaggie and have been messing around with the forging and upgrade system. I am anxious to play online but don't want to be a total embarrassment :p I am going to keep learning the game but before too long ill be joining the online community. I am sure I will be back in this thread with some begginer questions.

Doombear

Picked this up over the weekend. This is my first MH game and I am really getting into it. Just finished killing the giant jaggie and have been messing around with the forging and upgrade system. I am anxious to play online but don't want to be a total embarrassment :p I am going to keep learning the game but before too long ill be joining the online community. I am sure I will be back in this thread with some begginer questions.

I love that this game is still getting new love. Welcome to greatness!

txag2005

Banned
So I bought this on my 3DS back in April and never got around to playing it. I've started and it's pretty overwhelming (this is my first MH game). Any good links or places I can go to sort of get my feet wet? This seems like the type of game that seems like a pain to get into at first but is well worth it once you "get it". I don't really seem to "get it" right now.

tuffy

So I bought this on my 3DS back in April and never got around to playing it. I've started and it's pretty overwhelming (this is my first MH game). Any good links or places I can go to sort of get my feet wet? This seems like the type of game that seems like a pain to get into at first but is well worth it once you "get it". I don't really seem to "get it" right now.
I spent a lot of time learning from mazereon's bowgun guide and the BradyGames MH3U PDF. But the latter is pretty stat-heavy and mostly superseded by sites like Kiranico that are easier to search.

txag2005

Banned
Thanks for those links. That actually leads me to another question. Is there a specific weapon type that is recommended for new players?

upandaway

It's quite old but I'll still mention it, SocialDissonance's videos on Youtube are really good for newcomers. Moreso the Tri videos than 3U, but it makes no difference for beginners.

tuffy

Thanks for those links. That actually leads me to another question. Is there a specific weapon type that is recommended for new players?
I don't think so. All the weapons have their own quirks and gimmicks, so it mostly boils down to picking one (or more than one) that you enjoy using the most. Like great swords do big damage but are super slow, so they're all about massive charged hits. While dual blades do small damage per hit but their "demon mode" lets you stay close and deliver a massive number of attacks. So it's not a bad idea to try out several and use the game's built-in manual to test out any combos they might have out in the Moga Woods where there's no worry about time limits or failing a quest.

Doombear

Totally agree with Tuffy. Each weapon has quite a bit to learn about it, so trying them all or a handful of those you are most interested in, is a great idea. Don't be put off if a weapon type doesn't click right away either. I loved the looks of Great Swords when I started, but just couldn't get into them. Several games later, they finally clicked and are one of my go to weapons.

That said, each game tends to make me want to switch things up. In Freedom it was Long Sword and Bow. In Freedom 2 and Unite it was Hammer and Great Sword a little. On Wii it was Lance and Hammer, and LBG later on. In Portable Third I finally spent much more time with Great Swords and Lances again. In Ultimate I finally gave Switch Axes a go and love them, and have more of those than anything except Hunting Horns. Also have started using Bows again and HBG.

So... careful, you may end up loving them all. =)

Alric

Got a question if anyone can answer. I own both the WiiU and the 3DS version. Now both my and my fiances saves are on my 3DS and I wanted us to play together. Is there anyone to transfer just one save to the WiiU or am I out of luck.

Let's also say I make a new character on my WiiU but still have my other save on my 3DS and decide to then transfer my WiiU save over to the 3DS will it swap the two saves or delete the 3DS one?

tuffy

Got a question if anyone can answer. I own both the WiiU and the 3DS version. Now both my and my fiances saves are on my 3DS and I wanted us to play together. Is there anyone to transfer just one save to the WiiU or am I out of luck.

Let's also say I make a new character on my WiiU but still have my other save on my 3DS and decide to then transfer my WiiU save over to the 3DS will it swap the two saves or delete the 3DS one?
The save transfer tool always overwrites all three slots of the target system with whatever's on the source system, whether the source's slots have characters or not. So unfortunately there's no way to "split up" a set of saves and move a single character back and forth. That means while you could copy saves to another system and play with your clone, there's no way to merge them back together again and preserve progress on both.

So I bought this used off when I first got my WiiU. It kept giving me an error message when I tried to boot it up. Sent it back and got a refund. I decided to rent it. The rental is giving me the same disc read error. What the fuck!?

Disc looks perfect. No other games have ever given me problems on my system. I don't even know what to do.

EDIT: Error code is: 150-1091 by the way. I've found a few people online with the same problems with various games, seems to be no solution out there. Nintendo support claims it's the discs.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Hey everyone, I've been coming back into the online mode recently so I'm looking to beef up my friends list to have people to join when I'm gettin my hunting on.

My ID is simply Mistouze, feel free to add me up and/or give me your ID so I can add you guys.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Woo beat my first quest!
I was wondering why I was sucking and it was because I didn't know the controls and totally skipped the tutorial!

Anura

Yo.

I need some weed, man.

Some airweed.

Can somebody show me where I get dat?
It should be in the underwater parts of the flooded forest. Look for the things that resemble Gobul's whiskers

Woo beat my first quest!
I was wondering why I was sucking and it was because I didn't know the controls and totally skipped the tutorial!
Lol MH tutorials don't tell you that stuff anyways. Just the important stuff that you might only ever use once like fishing!

You can check each weapons attacks in the digital manual. And roll after attacking with a melee weapon is the basics of basics so if you're not already doing that you should start.

Man, the hunting horn is pretty fun to play but I'm not so great with it. Are there any intricate details that I might be missing out on? Also, I'm not used to fighting underwater without a block button, so I kinda need pointers there too.

Prade

Recorded a stygian zinogre heroics run with dual swords

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YHwF24cwfk

Ended up being several minutes slower than a regular gear run because of how short the fight is. Also I was too chicken to attack during charged mode dragon orb setups because it would OHKO me lol. I'm sure there's a better armor/skills setup for it out there with lower defense but I can't be bothered to look for one at this point.

Nice.

andthebeatgoeson

Woo beat my first quest!
Would recommend professor Google. Usually mh3u and your specific term (ie great sword or how to farm air weed) will give you good answers or videos. I was in the same position and did a ton of research before missions early on. New monsters should get you to search up on their weaknesses, blights, hit boxes. Realizing their head is a weak point can be the difference from finishing in 20 minutes versus having time run out. Not understanding poison or slime blight can be the difference between 3 carts or not bringing the right gear. Sucks when you only bring cool drinks on a night sandy plains mission. Those are the types of things that you'll miss early on and it will frustrate you. But keep at it and the game will slowly train you and hook the shit out of you. And you will be so grateful. 230 hours so far on one weapon type as my first try at monster hunter and will probably buy the next three day one, no questions asked.

Put another way, Mario and Zelda are my top two game series of all time (/kanye) but the all go on hold until I get to hr 50. So, maybe January. Two (3? WW?) of the best games of the year just are getting ignored by me because of this crack. Nothing like it.

HawthorneKitty

My main issue was not knowing the button to use items because I was too lazy to read the manual.
Just got to the 3-star missions and still having a blast with the beginning of this game.

tuffy

Monster Hunter's controls aren't immediately intuitive, but the logic behind them becomes clear when you're in the middle of a hunt and need to swap out different items/ammunition while something large and angry is chasing you around the room. Turns out they're optimized for real-time multitasking in a way that most games aren't - which I found to be rather clever.

And I should be able to put some time together tomorrow to help out anyone who needs anything.

Anura

Would recommend professor Google. Usually mh3u and your specific term (ie great sword or how to farm air weed) will give you good answers or videos. I was in the same position and did a ton of research before missions early on. New monsters should get you to search up on their weaknesses, blights, hit boxes. Realizing their head is a weak point can be the difference from finishing in 20 minutes versus having time run out. Not understanding poison or slime blight can be the difference between 3 carts or not bringing the right gear. Sucks when you only bring cool drinks on a night sandy plains mission. Those are the types of things that you'll miss early on and it will frustrate you. But keep at it and the game will slowly train you and hook the shit out of you. And you will be so grateful. 230 hours so far on one weapon type as my first try at monster hunter and will probably buy the next three day one, no questions asked.

Put another way, Mario and Zelda are my top two game series of all time (/kanye) but the all go on hold until I get to hr 50. So, maybe January. Two (3? WW?) of the best games of the year just are getting ignored by me because of this crack. Nothing like it.

I have over 4000 Hours in this series and I have got to say that there is nothing like the very first MH you play. Monster Hunter is the only game I would really want to experience fresh again. Learning the ins and outs of each monster and each weapon is simply amazing

HawthorneKitty

So I've got the Jaggi armor set still, currently doing 4-Star quests.
Is there a recommended armor upgrade?

tuffy

So I've got the Jaggi armor set still, currently doing 4-Star quests.
Is there a recommended armor upgrade?
Volvidon is a pretty safe recommendation since it offers Evasion +1 and some damage boosting skills, and it's pretty easy to make. However, it's not available until the 5 star Village quests (nor will it win any beauty contests).

Zushin

Well I just ordered MH3 on WiiU just now. Ive had it on 3DS for ages but I don't often play my 3DS so decided to bite the bullet. This is my first MH so I am looking forward to getting into things.

andthebeatgoeson

I would also recommend looking into Wroggi armor. Negates poison and lasted me a good while.

I concur but I got stuck on Gigginox for awhile. Really, it's hard to know which one will be best. Which ever will give you the skills you need to avoid getting whupped. Any Attack up will be decent. And you start fighting based on what skills you have. I have Cadeus Z with Attack up M and Quick sheath gemmed in. And with the HGE, I'm just walking around with my Great sword like I own the place. But quick sheath makes me not need evasion as much. But I've seen some guys on videos/YT really do well with Evasion +1. It's nice.

I really, really want this game on the 3DS (I don't yet own a Wii U), but frankensticks are not cheap. I tried the demo way back when they first released it, and liked it but knew I wouldn't be able to invest a lot of time with the touch control screens. How many of you would say the 3DS version is worth $60+ (for both the game and frankenstick)?

EDIT: Is the upcoming MH4 for 3DS going to be the same way as far as how it controls? It might be easier to stomach buying the circle pad pro if I know I'll be able to use it for future MH titles (as I have a feeling this series is one I'd really enjoy)

tuffy

Mmmmmmmm Lagiacrus stomped me.
I know that feeling. I narrowly avoiding timing out in my first attempt at "Ruler of Two Realms" by carting for a third time with a couple of minutes to spare.

It was a learning experience.
I really, really want this game on the 3DS (I don't yet own a Wii U), but frankensticks are not cheap. I tried the demo way back when they first released it, and liked it but knew I wouldn't be able to invest a lot of time with the touch control screens. How many of you would say the 3DS version is worth $60+ (for both the game and frankenstick)?

EDIT: Is the upcoming MH4 for 3DS going to be the same way as far as how it controls? It might be easier to stomach buying the circle pad pro if I know I'll be able to use it for future MH titles (as I have a feeling this series is one I'd really enjoy)
I've put a tremendous number of hours into the game so it's been a bargain even including the cost of the frankenstick. Monster Hunter 4 supports it, as do a few other titles, so I don't think it'll go to waste.

Top Bottom