• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Stoof

pls tell me some of you guys are online like an hour from now.

help me finish some of these random HR 3 quests like Rathalos, double Wroggi >_<

My girlfriend and I might still be playing around that time if you'll still need people.

remist

I'm up to play if you still have a slot open. I haven't played in a while, I think I just started HR4 when I quit last.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Damn, I've forgotten how terrifying the Jho was; Gave me a ton of trouble with C.Peco, but I edged out with a successful mission. I can't wait until I can bring one these monsters down.

Wow, my Shakalaka dude stole the Gem from it!

tuffy

Glad I could help!

Dug out my old Rath Soul set and some high rank weapons to keep the hunts entertaining. That was the first gear I took online so it was fun to use it again.

Doombear

As someone with a 3DS XL but not a WiiU, is it worth it to get this game on the 3DS without the multiplayer?

100% absolutely yes. The game is entirely doable alone if you like, though there will be some hurdles later on that you will have to gear specifically for. However, the feeling of accomplishment is something few other games can give you.

I have both versions, with the original plan of playing the Wii U version nearly always. Fast forward to today, and I have easily spent twice as much time on my 3DS XL. That is hundreds of hours, and there is still plenty I want to do.

I don't know if you have a Circle Pad Pro for your XL or not. Some people swear you don't need one. I am in the opposite camp though, and can't imagine playing without it.

It's insane how quickly the hours disappear when playing this. "I'm just going to do a quick mission before bed..."

Four hours later, I have my Jagi armor and have all one and two star quests complete Feels good man

A couple of questions!

Should I bother taking that Shakalaka dude with me on any missions? If he dies while I'm out questing, do I suffer a penalty?

Do the combo books only increase your combination success rate if they are in the same place you are combining (i.e. it has to be in your inventory to increase success rate for inventory combinations, and in your supply box to increase success rate for supply box combinations), or does it universally improve your chances no matter where you store it?

The most important question of all... why is this game so Jagi'n awesome?

XDDX

Should I bother taking that Shakalaka dude with me on any missions? If he dies while I'm out questing, do I suffer a penalty?

Do the combo books only increase your combination success rate if they are in the same place you are combining (i.e. it has to be in your inventory to increase success rate for inventory combinations, and in your supply box to increase success rate for supply box combinations), or does it universally improve your chances no matter where you store it?
Yep, take the cat with you. It does free damage, or can heal you or give you buffs. Nothing happens to you if it dies.

Combo books I'm not sure about, I think they only work if they're in the same place as your items. So if you're combining items in your box, you should have them in your box and if combining in your inventory, carry them with you.

GeekyDad

Yeah, they only increase the combo rate for the items they're located with. So, if you have the books in your box, you'll want to combine items from your box. I have separate books that I can carry with me on quests for combining mid-quest.

Boogiepop

So, here's a weird question: 2 of my friends are actually picking up/have picked up the game on WiiU, giving me an excuse to pick up the game. However, one of my friends also grabbed it on 3DS. Is there any way we can all play together, even if only occasionally? Like, can the WiiU be used to funnel a 3DS version along as a guest into an online session or something?

It'd be nice if I could work this out with a solution other than telling my friend "well, if you bought a WiiU+another copy..."

also

Banned
So, here's a weird question: 2 of my friends are actually picking up/have picked up the game on WiiU, giving me an excuse to pick up the game. However, one of my friends also grabbed it on 3DS. Is there any way we can all play together, even if only occasionally? Like, can the WiiU be used to funnel a 3DS version along as a guest into an online session or something?

It'd be nice if I could work this out with a solution other than telling my friend "well, if you bought a WiiU+another copy..."

No. When you use a Wii U to get the 3DS version online (a wired connection is required), you can't do anything else on the Wii U. You can play with 1-3 3DS' and 1 Wii U locally, though.
So either your friend gets a Wii U or you 3 get 3DS'.

Shengar

Goddamn. I just can't resist temptation like this. $19.99 feels like an instant steal, especially to make my Wii U library bigger. I hope Gaf don't mind helping me here, playing my first Monster Hunter game (I don't think watching my brother's ass pawned by Rathalos in Monster Hunter 1 count as experience).

I like playing ranged, are the ranged weapons good?

As long as there is only 1 Wii U, and 2 3DS, you'll be fine.

ohlawd

well I never used ranged weapons outside of sleepbombing Alatreon in Tri all those years ago. Damn, fun times.

yeah uhh people don't seem to be using them to inflict status. did they get a massive damage buff or something.

tuffy

I like playing ranged, are the ranged weapons good?
I think they work great. The light bowgun offers high mobility, a quick unsheathe/sheathe speed, and its rapid-fire feature multiplies individual shots into multi-shot volleys for more damage or status affliction. It's a little like the dual blades of ranged weapons in that you'll be bringing monsters down with tons of small hits.

The heavy bowgun has less mobility, a slower unsheathe/sheathe speed, and its crouching fire feature anchors you to a spot to let you pump out a lot of powerful shots without reloading. It's more like the great sword of ranged weapons where you'll take down monsters with a few hard hits.

The bow seems mostly about a steady barrage of charged shots from the proper distance and is also very mobile. I've seen it used very effectively, but never got the hang of it personally.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
There was a bow (don't know what kind) person I was with that shot out like 5 spiked bomb thingys. Does anyone know what weapon that was, or was that ammo?

Manbig

There was a bow (don't know what kind) person I was with that shot out like 5 spiked bomb thingys. Does anyone know what weapon that was, or was that ammo?

Yep that's the Kelbi bow. It's actually one of the cheapest things in the game when combined with the G rank Gigginox ranged set (Gigginox X set). It's a bunch of incredibly easy to craft stuff that gives you a lot of damage, access to all status ailments for bow, Status attack +2 to boost all status ailments, awakening for the slime damage on the kelbi bow, and a ton of slots to add whatever you want to top that off.

People usually go with Pellet Shot Up to improve the spread. Kelbi Bow's highest damage spread is only one charge away, so it's super spammable and super powerful. Add bombardier and you have one of the most versatile offensive builds in the game.

Anura

Yep that's the Kelbi bow. It's actually one of the cheapest things in the game when combined with the G rank Gigginox ranged set (Gigginox X set). It's a bunch of incredibly easy to craft stuff that gives you a lot of damage, access to all status ailments for bow, Status attack +2 to boost all status ailments, awakening for the slime damage on the kelbi bow, and a ton of slots to add whatever you want to top that off.

People usually go with Pellet Shot Up to improve the spread. Kelbi Bow's highest damage spread is only one charge away, so it's super spammable and super powerful. Add bombardier and you have one of the most offensively versatile builds in the game.

Fully charging it and aiming for the weak points will actually get you better times. I could usually get under ten minutes with Zinogre with out bringing power coating combines

Just got a Wii U and I downloaded MH3U. I've transferred my 3DS save and now I don't have a clue on how to find any online hunts. Any suggestions?

I'm just hanging out in the multiplayer port. Where do I go to find other people's games?

Edit : I found network mode.

Boogiepop

No. When you use a Wii U to get the 3DS version online (a wired connection is required), you can't do anything else on the Wii U. You can play with 1-3 3DS' and 1 Wii U locally, though.
So either your friend gets a Wii U or you 3 get 3DS'.

Darn, figured as much. Oh well.

Also, I'm starting up with the other 2 guys soon. One's going Great Sword, and the other one is completely inexperienced with MH but thinking Long Sword. I've decided to start over with a new weapon so I can be catching up as well rather than ridiculously overpowered. I'm trying to decide between Lance, Gunlance, and Hammer. I kind of want to play the other two more, but I feel like Hammer's probably the best choice for the sake of the group. Any opinions?

rekameohs

Banned
Welp, I decided to buy this game on a whim on 3DS having never played this series before thanks to the sale. I've never really played a game like this before, but the idea of learning through experience instead of seeing an EXP bar go up sounds great, and the many ways to tackle the bosses does as well.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I caved and bought it on 3DS. Damn sale...

I suck and couldn't even beat the giant rabbit in the demo.

You played darksouls, or any MH inspired games like vindictus? He isn't too hard remember to use potions dodge when he attacks and get a rough idea of his attack pattern first by playing passive.

Also those things that come with make the fight much easier. I have the game now (was bored), and still don't have them, do you get them after a certain period in the game or just play multi when there;s no one around?

ngower

I felt the same way about the demo. It put me off from buying the game for a while. I recently did and am really enjoying it. They give you plenty of time to figure things out, and pace these early goings very well. Far more instructional than the demo.

also

Banned
Darn, figured as much. Oh well.

Also, I'm starting up with the other 2 guys soon. One's going Great Sword, and the other one is completely inexperienced with MH but thinking Long Sword. I've decided to start over with a new weapon so I can be catching up as well rather than ridiculously overpowered. I'm trying to decide between Lance, Gunlance, and Hammer. I kind of want to play the other two more, but I feel like Hammer's probably the best choice for the sake of the group. Any opinions?
Use whatever you like; 3 people is more than enough to take down any monster no matter what kind of weapons you are using and you will just sour your experience with the game if you force yourself to use a weapon you don't really like for potentially hundreds of hours.

I could never get into hammers but I did pick up the gunlance when I went back and played Freedom Unite. I have no idea how viable it is in 3U but I think that the awesomeness of an exploding-bullets shooting lance outweighs any potential setbacks. Also going from an evade based play style (I use swax and GS in 3U) to a defence based one was a nice change of pace for me. So unless you hunted with S&S you should give the lances a try.

GeekyDad

Your life as you knew it is now gone forever. :p

As an aside, I just met Jhen Mohran. Wow...

I'm over 200 hours in now, thought the game was starting to wind down, but no -- they throw in this epic battle, which isn't even a key quest, and they present it to you with this awesome cutscene. Failed it, of course, but it is one of the coolest finds in the game thus far. I was merely trying to finish up my 7* Village Quests (been trying to finish all of the quests as I go), and didn't realize it was going to be that. I can see it's like Ceadeus, in that I'll have to come back to it later, but it's definitely a really cool thing for them to throw in there.

Insane value this game is. Insane.

Your life as you knew it is now gone forever. :p

As an aside, I just met Jhen Mohran. Wow...

I'm over 200 hours in now, thought the game was starting to wind down, but no -- they throw in this epic battle, which isn't even a key quest, and they present it to you with this awesome cutscene. Failed it, of course, but it is one of the coolest finds in the game thus far. I was merely trying to finish up my 7* Village Quests (been trying to finish all of the quests as I go), and didn't realize it was going to be that. I can see it's like Ceadeus, in that I'll have to come back to it later, but it's definitely a really cool thing for them to throw in there.

Insane value this game is. Insane.

Already 200 h in and only now you see Jhen Mohran for the first time? I remember him showing up much earlier, but it was probably an online quest. But I agree, that battle is epic the first time you play it. It loses some of its charm after a while though.

Manbig

Fully charging it and aiming for the weak points will actually get you better times. I could usually get under ten minutes with Zinogre with out bringing power coating combines

Indeed. For me personally though, aiming it is a pain in the ass, so I'll just go for the easymode level 5 spread with Pellet Up. For something that has an easy to hit weak point (Rathian/Rathalos) I'll probably roll with fully charged rapid, but the problem that I personally have is that with the long charge time, you have to make extra sure that every shot counts or you won't make up the difference in damage for overall DPS.

L Thammy

My friends and I have gotten back into this. I'm stuck at Mark of a Hero.

How's Hi-rank Jhen armor and Dios Blade for this quest? And, is there a video or something that shows how to dodge that giant Lagi hipcheck?

Anura

Indeed. For me personally though, aiming it is a pain in the ass, so I'll just go for the easymode level 5 spread with Pellet Up. For something that has a easy to hit weakpoint (Rathian/Rathalos) I'll probably roll with fully charged rapid, but the problem that I personally have is that with the long charge time, you have to make extra sure that every shot counts or you won't make up the difference in damage for overall DPS.
Might want to consider adding focus

If you use the Lagia X armor it comes with focus, awaken and weakness exploit and it's just perfect for the kelbi bow once you gem normal shot up and bomber (has the debuff status attack down but you can gem that out too)

trixx

Bought this game cause it was on sale and wanted a wii u game to play with my friends online. =/

This game is very frustrating

Bought this game cause it was on sale and wanted a wii u game to play with my friends online. =/

The game can be hard for newcomers but I really suggest you stick with it. Once you get better, it will become a very rewarding experience.

trixx

The game can be hard for newcomers but I really suggest you stick with it. Once you get better, it will become a very rewarding experience.

Is there a good item/basics guide? I just want to get into things I didn't like huge wall of texts tutorials. I still don't even know how to change my weapon.

Have know clue what items i need and don't and inventory gets filled very fast

L Thammy

It gets easier as you learn it. Try experimenting with different weapons to see which one feels best for you. Try using the target camera (clicking the monster icon on the touch screen) if controlling the camera is difficult. Try to intentionally focus on dodging/blocking first instead of focusing on attacking..

Is there a good item/basics guide? I just want to get into things I didn't like huge wall of texts tutorials. I still don't even know how to change my weapon.

Have know clue what items i need and don't and inventory gets filled very fast

Potions (Mega if possible), Steaks, Whetstones are a must. If you use a gun or bow, you need bullets or coatings. For anything else, you can just bring what you need for the mission.
I also like to take a pickaxe and bug net along with me so I can gather when I want.

Herb + Blue Mushroom = Potion, Potion + Honey = Mega Potion, use a BBQ Spit and Raw Meat with good timing to get Well-Done Steaks.

tuffy

I've been breaking out heavy bowguns more lately against monsters without a lot of useful elemental weaknesses (like the nonmetalic Raths) and the results have been interesting. With light bowguns, taking the limiter off loses your rapid fire which is usually a bad thing because rapid fire is often a serious source of damage. So there's only a few oddball guns where that's beneficial (like the God's Achipelago).

But with heavy bowguns, taking the limiter off loses crouch firing and a little mobility in exchange for more attack strength and better clip sizes for those crouch-fired shots. Given that I rarely get a chance to crouch fire at anything, I decided to try a little back-to-back hunt against high rank Village Pink Rathian (a good gunner punching bag) to see what kind of difference it makes:
  • Empress's Garden (limiter on) - 7:08 to complete, 99 normal lv. 3 shots + 10 normal lv. 2 shots
  • Empress's Garden (limiter off) - 5:28 to complete, 86 normal lv. 3 shots
Looks like it's a pretty significant improvement and the reduced mobility (like a lack of side rolls) is barely noticeable. Not to mention that hitting just the right spot to cause a bunch of shot ricochets to the monster never gets old.

Top Bottom