• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

SuperSah

Banned
Got the Ancient Blade!

Another 13 Earth Crystals to get to the Elder Monument, which is 810atk, 300 Dragon.

The weapon model is incredible.

ngower

Bought the game on 3DS earlier tonight. Put in about three hours over two sessions. I don't think I'm deep enough in to say that this game has me hooked, but there's definitely a desire to want to get all the right armor and weapons to go out on some of the bigger quests. Either way, the game is definitely more enjoyable than the demo implied.

This is my first Monster Hunter game, by the way.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've been meaning to grab a WiiU for a while and I think the $20 deal is going to push me into getting one this weekend so I can snag that and start doing some online farming and maybe maybe maybe get some FUCKING RATHALOS MANTLES ARGHHH

Ken

Thinking about getting back into the game to kill some Alatreons but no idea what the status on it is. His DLC versions are out right? All I remember was the single player Alatreon was a waste of time for the difficulty plus HR rank rewards.

I put about four and a half hours into this today. It is FANTASTIC. Like, one of the most badass games I've ever played. It makes you feel like a dinosaur hunter, at least towards the beginning (because most of the monster designs are dinosaur-esque).

The last "main mission" I did was take down my first... Giant Jaggie, I think it was called? I got my ass handed to me the first time because the game had been pretty easy up to that point, so I went in underprepared. Even after stocking up on mega potions and knowing what to expect though, I still took more damage than I wanted on my second (victorious) attempt. I've been exclusively using the hammer so far, because again, the badass factor is paramount to me, but I'm thinking I should switch it up. It's pretty slow and cumbersome, and doesn't seem like the most newcomer-friendly of the available weapons.

The dialogue in this game is surprisingly funny too. And I'm LOVING the Mogwa renovation aspect. It adds a Harvest Moon element to the whole affair.

All and all, I'm liking this WAY more than I thought I would (and I was pretty sure I'd think it was great.) I played for two hours straight without realizing how long had passed... that's always a good sign. Still, I'm worried I'm about to get my ass handed to me in some of the bigger upcoming hunts. Despite the weapon selection (supposedly) being well-balanced, I'm sure I'd do better if I started with a different weapon. I believe I've read the great (or was it long?) sword mentioned many times before, but swords are so overused in games whereas hammers aren't, so I'm conflicted :p

Also, what's the best way to just practice the combat? Fighting random weakling creatures in the woods while off-mission?

About to pick up MH3U for my 2DS. Is the game playable on the 2ds?

If it isn't, I'm half tempted to trade in my 2DS for a 3DS with a circle pad pro.

Wiseblade

I've been exclusively using the hammer so far, because again, the badass factor is paramount to me, but I'm thinking I should switch it up. It's pretty slow and cumbersome, and doesn't seem like the most newcomer-friendly of the available weapons... Still, I'm worried I'm about to get my ass handed to me in some of the bigger upcoming hunts. Despite the weapon selection (supposedly) being well-balanced, I'm sure I'd do better if I started with a different weapon. I believe I've read the great (or was it long?) sword mentioned many times before, but swords are so overused in games whereas hammers aren't, so I'm conflicted :p
The hammer's ability to stun monsters makes it stand out from the pack in a multiplayer full of Long Swords. I've dabbled in hunting horns and seeing a giant Dragon flail around like an idiot after a few blows to the head feels good. Lacking a block, means you have to get better at anticipating attacks from monsters and using your roll effectively.

For solo play, you may want to think about picking up the Great sword, since the the hammer is unable to cut tails off large monsters.

Also, what's the best way to just practice the combat? Fighting random weakling creatures in the woods while off-mission?
I'd say the best way is to fight larger monsters. Get a feel for its tells and vulnerable moments at the same time as getting matrials for new weapons and armour. Jaggi armour would probably be a good start for you, since using a hammer means you'll spend most encounters smacking a beast in the face, which puts you in danger of getting hit a lot.

Chuckpebble

About to pick up MH3U for my 2DS. Is the game playable on the 2ds?

If it isn't, I'm half tempted to trade in my 2DS for a 3DS with a circle pad pro.

There's actually a menu option in the game to disable 3D. I started using it because I kept losing focus during the graphic effect that happens when a big monster roars. I'd go all cross eyed for a moment. Anyway, the menu option for disabling the 3D has the added benefit of making the frame even smoother. I imagine on the 2DS this option would still be there, and for that reason, I highly suggest you use it.

Obviously, you won't have access to the CPP, but I never used that.

The one thing I did wonder about is the location of the buttons in relation to the touch screen.
blue2.jpg

It looks like quite a reach from the face buttons down to the touch screen camera that your going to be using from time to time. You can't edit the bottom screen in the demo, but the camera pad is at the top in there so it may be worth testing out.

Here's how I have mine set up:
Photo%20Jan%2029%2C%207%2040%2053%20AM.jpg

I found it easier because this layout forms a natural arc for my thumb between the buttons and the d-pad.

I believe that orange bar at the top with the boot on it can be moved to the bottom of the screen to help move the camera control up even further. Also, that boot symbol allows you to kick and do an extra attack for some weapons. You can actually swap it so that that touch control opens the menu and start/select can be used for the extra attack function.

Fistwell

Thinking about getting back into the game to kill some Alatreons but no idea what the status on it is. His DLC versions are out right? All I remember was the single player Alatreon was a waste of time for the difficulty plus HR rank rewards.
Yeah it's been out for a while, I think I remember playing it with some gaf people, that must have been several months ago. I'm kinda starting to get that MH itch again myself... must be the 4G announcement...

tuffy

Was just farming G rank DLC Alatreon yesterday in an effort to forge the Altheos Aetheria; just need one Azure Drgnsphire to finish it up.

The high rank one is good for materials to make Element Jewels and is a necessary evil to make the starter weapons in its path, but I barely notice the difference in difficulty between the two.

Insaniac

Was just farming G rank DLC Alatreon yesterday in an effort to forge the Altheos Aetheria; just need one Azure Drgnsphire to finish it up.

The high rank one is good for materials to make Element Jewels and is a necessary evil to make the starter weapons in its path, but I barely notice the difference in difficulty between the two.

yeah I was farming HR ala with a group and someone switched it up and hosted a Grank ala . It took longer but afterwards everyone was like "Wait was that G-rank?"

I've been meaning to grab a WiiU for a while and I think the $20 deal is going to push me into getting one this weekend so I can snag that and start doing some online farming and maybe maybe maybe get some FUCKING RATHALOS MANTLES ARGHHH

If/when you want help farming let me know. You have my sword/hammer/bow whatever

GeekyDad

Here's how I have mine set up:
Photo%20Jan%2029%2C%207%2040%2053%20AM.jpg

I found it easier because this layout forms a natural arc for my thumb between the buttons and the d-pad.

Yeah, that's exactly how I did mine. I changed it as soon as they introduced me to the options early on. The developers did a great job with the touch-screen options, even allowing you to resize the buttons. Took some time to get used to, but now I can't really imagine using the CPP. I gave it to my wife, if I can ever get her to play the game. :p

Anura

Yeah it's been out for a while, I think I remember playing it with some gaf people, that must have been several months ago. I'm kinda starting to get that MH itch again myself... must be the 4G announcement...
We should play some 4 together again

Chuckpebble

Yeah, that's exactly how I did mine. I changed it as soon as they introduced me to the options early on. The developers did a great job with the touch-screen options, even allowing you to resize the buttons. Took some time to get used to, but now I can't really imagine using the CPP. I gave it to my wife, if I can ever get her to play the game. :p

Yeah, I feel like its about prefect, especially in conjunction with the target cam. I could see a need for the CPP if it offered analog control, but from my understanding, the camera is either rotating really fast or not at all, so its really just an ergonomics thing.

One thing I'd love to see changed though, since MH4 has free vertical rotation instead of those preset levels along the Y axis, is if they could ad a track pad style control to the screen as well. That way you could easily rotate the camera at angles.

SuperSah

Banned
I put about four and a half hours into this today. It is FANTASTIC. Like, one of the most badass games I've ever played. It makes you feel like a dinosaur hunter, at least towards the beginning (because most of the monster designs are dinosaur-esque).

The last "main mission" I did was take down my first... Giant Jaggie, I think it was called? I got my ass handed to me the first time because the game had been pretty easy up to that point, so I went in underprepared. Even after stocking up on mega potions and knowing what to expect though, I still took more damage than I wanted on my second (victorious) attempt. I've been exclusively using the hammer so far, because again, the badass factor is paramount to me, but I'm thinking I should switch it up. It's pretty slow and cumbersome, and doesn't seem like the most newcomer-friendly of the available weapons.

The dialogue in this game is surprisingly funny too. And I'm LOVING the Mogwa renovation aspect. It adds a Harvest Moon element to the whole affair.

All and all, I'm liking this WAY more than I thought I would (and I was pretty sure I'd think it was great.) I played for two hours straight without realizing how long had passed... that's always a good sign. Still, I'm worried I'm about to get my ass handed to me in some of the bigger upcoming hunts. Despite the weapon selection (supposedly) being well-balanced, I'm sure I'd do better if I started with a different weapon. I believe I've read the great (or was it long?) sword mentioned many times before, but swords are so overused in games whereas hammers aren't, so I'm conflicted :p

Glad you like it!

Just be warned, High Rank and G-Rank will test you more than any game ever has.

I'm loving the game but I am bummed that I can't spend that much time playing it. I guess it's good I have a year until MH4, because it will probably take me that long to get to G-Rank.

Insaniac

Best way to learn weapons is to simply go into moga woods and press the buttons and see what each one does. Learn how they chain into each other. Learn the special mechanics of each weapon (either use the in game manual or google it)

In terms of combat, that simply comes with experience. You can fight Great Jaggi 100 times over but it will only prepare you so much for Barroth. This is because you have to learn the attack patterns of the monster too. I played a lot of Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii, and when I started MH3U, all the monsters I fought that previously were in Tri were easy because I knew their attacks. All the new ones (still) give me some problems.

ohlawd

lol yeah no luck with randoms.

if you're OK with Rathalos only until I have everything I need...
edit: k i'll go to you

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys :D I'm super pumped to keep digging into this game. I can already tell it's going to win my late "2013 Game of the Year award" in GAF's 2014 GotY thread. And then it will be time for Monster Hunter 4! Which, from the few impressions I've read, seems to be even better than 3, yeah? Though I HAVE been enjoying the water sections so far, so I'm kind of disappointed they took those out. It creates a huge sense of dread being submerged in the depths, especially the early mission where I have to kill some quaint litter harmless sea critters and then BOOM, LAGIACRUS DEVOURS ME. My heart was racing during that part, it was great.

My other big question right now is how I should approach armor crafting. So far I've upgraded each piece of my starting armor once, but I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't want to waste resources crafting armor that will be quickly outdated, but since I also don't know which pieces of armor will be unlocked soon, I'm not sure what to wait for.

Anura

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys :D I'm super pumped to keep digging into this game. I can already tell it's going to win my late "2013 Game of the Year award" in GAF's 2014 GotY thread. And then it will be time for Monster Hunter 4! Which, from the few impressions I've read, seems to be even better than 3, yeah? Though I HAVE been enjoying the water sections so far, so I'm kind of disappointed they took those out. It creates a huge sense of dread being submerged in the depths, especially the early mission where I have to kill some quaint litter harmless sea critters and then BOOM, LAGIACRUS DEVOURS ME. My heart was racing during that part, it was great.

My other big question right now is how I should approach armor crafting. So far I've upgraded each piece of my starting armor once, but I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't want to waste resources crafting armor that will be quickly outdated, but since I also don't know which pieces of armor will be unlocked soon, I'm not sure what to wait for.

Jaggi armor should be your starting point. If you're good you can get through low rank with it with ease. As soon as or if that armor isn't cutting it at a later part of low rank come back and we will pick out a new set. Btw armor spheres should be used to upgrade armor as much as possible

ngower

Currently working through the Jaggi armor myself. Just need to find one, maybe two more Giant Jaggi's and I'll complete the set. Clocked in about six hours so far. Taking a break, but may go for another hour or so tonight. Definitely enjoying the game. Capcom really did drop the ball with the demo—put me off from this game for a long time. It took the onslaught of recommendations by GAF, reddit, etc to finally sell me, and I'm glad I dove in blindly. As a 3DS-only gamer, being able to play online with MH4 will be a great thing! Thanks, GAF!

Elija2

Kinda regret getting MH3U digitally since once MH4U comes out I likely won't play it ever again. If I got a physical copy I could have given it to my brother. I did get it on sale though...

If only there were a way to transfer the digital license for a single game to another 3DS.

KLonso

Hi, I'm new here. Just picked up the game on sale for Wii U, and I have no idea where to start. Are there any solid tutorials or guides that I should look at?

Also, what's the better control scheme, Gamepad or Pro controller, (those are the only two I have available)

Chaos

Hi, I'm new here. Just picked up the game on sale for Wii U, and I have no idea where to start. Are there any solid tutorials or guides that I should look at?

Also, what's the better control scheme, Gamepad or Pro controller, (those are the only two I have available)

Check out these beginner vids -

http://youtu.be/i6iYOHaGGKk
http://youtu.be/9LN570LBJOY
http://youtu.be/xGzA9KWmmJk

I use pro controller, not sure whats best but it suits my hands better.
If you search on youtube for weapon name and mh3u you will see some tutorials for the moves.

Ken

Ah, I just remember the single player Alatreon being "G rank difficulty" but only offering HR materials so I didn't really bother with it and decided to wait for the DLC versions to kill it with others. Unfortunately it took awhile and my interest faded before they came out. But good to know, thanks!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Since I'm back with my Wii U, I've been trying to get back into Hunting, but I can't seem to like any weapon as much as the Longsword, which is frowned upon in multiplayer. I'm trying to warm up to the Switchaxe atm. Greatsword is too slow and I'd like something that would cut tails too...

In terms of combat, that simply comes with experience. You can fight Great Jaggi 100 times over but it will only prepare you so much for Barroth. This is because you have to learn the attack patterns of the monster too. I played a lot of Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii, and when I started MH3U, all the monsters I fought that previously were in Tri were easy because I knew their attacks. All the new ones (still) give me some problems.

I find the ridiculous recovery time they added after Barroth's charges compared with MH3 made it too easy. I can remember him relentlessly combo-ing me charge after charge in rage mode.

Anura

Since I'm back with my Wii U, I've been trying to get back into Hunting, but I can't seem to like any weapon as much as the Longsword, which is frowned upon in multiplayer. I'm trying to warm up to the Switchaxe atm. Greatsword is too slow and I'd like something that would cut tails too...
Just be mindful of other players when you fade slash or spirit combo. It really isn't that bad in fact LS users gets way more hate than they deserve. Reckless GL users are so much worse but they don't get nearly the flak as spammy LS users. Just use what you enjoy and try to have fun

Kyzon

Play with meh then :p
I use bow a lot so there is no problem there, also trips don't really make me rage. At least not from gaffers.

Stoof

...It's frowned on? :( Thats my main weapon!

Stoof

Many people tend to continuously spirit combo, which easily trips other players if they're not currently attacking.
Ah yeah, makes since. I've really only played online with my girlfriend so it's probably a lot easier to trip people when you have all four people on a monster.

Insaniac

LS spirit slash can't even be spammed that much since it uses up the bar now, unlike in Tri. Use the LS, just be aware of your position versus other hunters

chewydogg

I must have missed it during the tutorial, how do I use things like the BBQ spit, whetstones and the harpoon gun? I can switch between the icons, but have not figured out how to activate them. Thanks.

This game is pretty awesome so far...

Top Bottom