• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

I must have missed it during the tutorial, how do I use things like the BBQ spit, whetstones and the harpoon gun? I can switch between the icons, but have not figured out how to activate them. Thanks.

It's Y to use an item. You can only use an item if your weapon is sheathed (except with Sword&Shield but that's another story).

I do not know which version you are playing, but I recommend reading the controls page of the digital manual:
- on Wii U, while the game is running, open the HOME menu and select digital manual
- on 3DS, open the HOME menu, click on the “Help” tab at the bottom of the touchscreen

There's also 1 page per weapon which explains all its attacks and the buttons to perform them.

Kyzon

Ah yeah, makes since. I've really only played online with my girlfriend so it's probably a lot easier to trip people when you have all four people on a monster.

It's not that annoying unless you're trying to dodge something and you get tripped and that carts you, lol. No biggie really.

LS spirit slash can't even be spammed that much since it uses up the bar now, unlike in Tri. Use the LS, just be aware of your position versus other hunters

Do you use the LS in any serious manner? As long as you know how to make sure your last slash hits an enemy, you can spam the shit out of that.

upandaway

Ya'll bring up the LS and all you talk about is the spirit combo! I swear, if the lance got something like the fade slash, I would probably cry. You have it so good with that thing and I don't see anyone ever use it.

I made my preorder I think in July or something, and it was delayed on top of that. The first book was great.

Jaggi armor should be your starting point. If you're good you can get through low rank with it with ease. As soon as or if that armor isn't cutting it at a later part of low rank come back and we will pick out a new set. Btw armor spheres should be used to upgrade armor as much as possible
D'aww, I love how inclusive your language is. "come back and we will pick out a new set." As if I've been a monster hunter fan for ages, as opposed to just starting the game this week! This community seems great :D

So I checked with both the smith in the village as well as the shopkeeper that sells armor and weapons, and Jaggi equipment isn't available. The last main quest I've done was still the first one where you hunt a giant Jaggi, so I'm assuming I'll unlock it soon?

I only played for about thirty minutes today, but that consisted of hunting a giant Jaggi in Moga woods. I took that sonuva bitch down without dying once, and it felt SO GOOD. I can't even imagine the sense if accomplishment this game grants when you take down some REAL hardcore monsters. I'm going to assume that's part of why fans of this franchise or so damn passionate about it. I can't wait until I feel fully immersed in this group

Anura

D'aww, I love how inclusive your language is. "come back and we will pick out a new set." As if I've been a monster hunter fan for ages, as opposed to just starting the game this week! This community seems great :D

So I checked with both the smith in the village as well as the shopkeeper that sells armor and weapons, and Jaggi equipment isn't available. The last main quest I've done was still the first one where you hunt a giant Jaggi, so I'm assuming I'll unlock it soon?

I only played for about thirty minutes today, but that consisted of hunting a giant Jaggi in Moga woods. I took that sonuva bitch down without dying once, and it felt SO GOOD. I can't even imagine the sense if accomplishment this game grants when you take down some REAL hardcore monsters. I'm going to assume that's part of why fans of this franchise or so damn passionate about it. I can't wait until I feel fully immersed in this group
Huh, you should have unlocked something... It should be in the smith but you may not have gotten the parts for it to show up. Anyways glad you're enjoying it! It's not for everyone but those who do like it will LOVE it. Not much middle ground usually

Wiseblade

I have no idea how armour is unlocked for purchase. Sometimes it seems like it's only after obtaining some of the required materials, other times just hunting the monster is enough. Just keep slaying those Great Jaggis and remember to get all three carves out of the corpse.

Just wait until you've smacked something five times your size in head so hard bits of its face come flying off.

Kokonoe

Banned
I made the Gigginox set and boy do these armor effects suck. Sometimes take more damage? Yeah, no thanks.
KuGsj.gif

I made the Gigginox set and boy do these armor effects suck. Sometimes take more damage? Yeah, no thanks.
KuGsj.gif

You can easily get rid of negative armor skills by using jewels/decorations or mixing armors.

Protection Jwl 1, takes 1 slot, gives Protection +1 (enough to disable Demonic Blessing), requires Sunspire Jewel ×1 & Rathian Shell ×2

Wiseblade

OK, after work I'm jumping online and not resting until I get an Azure Rathalos tail. Anyone going to be available to help me in around 5 hours?

GeekyDad

Totally diggin' my Enfeebling Glaive. For starters, it looks cool as heck, but it's almost nonstop poison on most monsters.

Kokonoe

Banned
You can easily get rid of negative armor skills by using jewels/decorations or mixing armors.

Protection Jwl 1, takes 1 slot, gives Protection +1 (enough to disable Demonic Blessing), requires Sunspire Jewel ×1 & Rathian Shell ×2

Hmm...I haven't used those yet, well, regardless, the only thing this really has for Hunter is earplugs and there are much better options.

For gunner or blademaster? The high-rank Gigginox armor seems pretty good for gunners with its status up (+2).

I have high unlocked but I haven't played High Rank. This is normal Gigginox armor for Hunter and it's pretty lousy. Haha.

Insaniac

Hmm...I haven't used those yet, well, regardless, the only thing this really has for Hunter is earplugs and there are much better options.

I have high unlocked but I haven't played High Rank. This is normal Gigginox armor for Hunter and it's pretty lousy. Haha.

Volvidon LR armor is decently good

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I got the 3DS version off eShop and when I tried accessing the "dlc" from the menu I got a black screen saying my SD card was not detected. This problem persisted when I restarted the game so I removed the extra data for the game which helped and just started a new game, played for maybe an hour and then saved and quit. Now when I turn it on I get the very same message that it could not detect SD card. Has anyone encountered anything like this before?

EDIT: Now it turned on just fine without me doing anything other that restarting it...

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I just hit Hunter Rank 2!
I love these low-skilled quests since I'm so rusty; I feel like I should advance on Moga quests though...

ohlawd

unlocked high rank for offline. jeez I don't feel like doing these at all. I'd love to go online and get to HR 3 but my Wii U won't go online.

ngower

About 11 hours in (in just under three days!) and I have a question about armor/weapons. I bought the full Jaggi set of armor and upgraded each piece twice to try and get my defense up a bit. I'm considering grabbing the Jaggi sword and shield as well (have been using the bone scythes).

However, I'm beginning to wonder whether it's worth all that money to forge the new sword and shield? I'm about to go into the Lv. 3 quests, and I have a feeling I'll start unlocking some pretty decent stuff soon, so I don't wanna blow my cash on a weapon that'll be 'outdated' soon.

I guess my question in its simplest form is: how do I know when and what to forge/upgrade? I don't wanna waste resources and funds if there are solid items coming my way.

EDIT: Also, farming...how?

DaBoss

When you feel like you need to upgrade/forge stuff to overcome something. If you still feel comfortable with whatever equipment you have when facing monsters, then you won't need to upgrade/forge stuff.

also

Banned
I got the 3DS version off eShop and when I tried accessing the "dlc" from the menu I got a black screen saying my SD card was not detected. This problem persisted when I restarted the game so I removed the extra data for the game which helped and just started a new game, played for maybe an hour and then saved and quit. Now when I turn it on I get the very same message that it could not detect SD card. Has anyone encountered anything like this before?

EDIT: Now it turned on just fine without me doing anything other that restarting it...

Sounds like you have a defective SD card. It's really annoying with digital games because they crash on you when ''the SD card can't be detected''. Try using another one (or another adapter if you are using a mini SD) and see what happens.

ohkay

When you feel like you need to upgrade/forge stuff to overcome something. If you still feel comfortable with whatever equipment you have when facing monsters, then you won't need to upgrade/forge stuff.
Adding to this, you want to take a look at the weapon trees and what weapons you want in the future. You might have to upgrade a weapon anyway to get another weapon down the line.

GeekyDad

Woo, tried my first online hunt.
It was okay; I didn't bring cold drinks and only died once!

Ha, ha! Yeah, I did a solo quest last night to do both a regular Gigginox and Baleful. Forgot to bring hot drinks and made the quest so much harder for myself. Even though I keep telling myself "I'll never forget that again," I always do.

tuffy

I usually keep a full set of hot and cool drinks in my inventory at all times, just so I don't have to think about it when bouncing from quest to quest.

Though I did forget to bring a set of cool drinks into the Sacred Land not too long ago because I was too preoccupied with filling my inventory with other stuff. It was so embarrassing that I preferred to keep chugging potions and hoped that nobody would notice.

Insaniac

Ha, ha! Yeah, I did a solo quest last night to do both a regular Gigginox and Baleful. Forgot to bring hot drinks and made the quest so much harder for myself. Even though I keep telling myself "I'll never forget that again," I always do.

the worst is when you bring hot drinks for a desert quest and then realize its at night :( at least stamina reduction is more manageable

GeekyDad

Whelp, fought my first Brachydios. Not too bad. He wasn't as dangerous as I thought he would be. Can't wait to make me some OP weapons. Lovin' the fact his armor enhances the Slime ability and it looks badass.

As an aside, it's weird that, for whatever reason, it looks to be easier to forge a Dios Tallhammer than to upgrade to one. The zenny cost is higher, but in terms of materials, it seems like I got a lot more of what I already need to simply have him forge one. That will allow me to continue my Red Bludgeon+ along the fire line, so that worked out nicely. :)

ohlawd

I can help you out for a little bit if you still need it. I have company coming in a little while though.
ahh man I couldn't read new posts for some reason.

well it's alright. Had a nice set of randoms help getting me to HR 3. Heck, they even struck around doing some quests afterward.

I can finally get some decent armor. Just gonna make full Barroth S or whatever since I have almost everything.

Kokonoe

Banned
Is there a way for everyone to complete their urgent mission at the same time? Or does it have to be done multiple times per person? Thanks.

Stoof

Is there a way for everyone to complete their urgent mission at the same time? Or does it have to be done multiple times per person? Thanks.
Urgent missions are only completed by the leader of the quest, so each person has to initiate it to rank up :(

Ken

Whelp, fought my first Brachydios. Not too bad. He wasn't as dangerous as I thought he would be. Can't wait to make me some OP weapons. Lovin' the fact his armor enhances the Slime ability and it looks badass.

As an aside, it's weird that, for whatever reason, it looks to be easier to forge a Dios Tallhammer than to upgrade to one. The zenny cost is higher, but in terms of materials, it seems like I got a lot more of what I already need to simply have him forge one. That will allow me to continue my Red Bludgeon+ along the fire line, so that worked out nicely. :)

I remember the first few weeks of 3U, Brachy armor and weapons everywhere...

SuperSah

Banned
Mother of god...

After months of farming and over 100 dead Zingore, I finally got my first Jasper.

It feels so.. valuable.

YES.

Before I stopped playing, I was farming lucent nargacuga for a cloudy moonshard but never got it. Now 6 months later, I try him again and get the moonshard on my first try... I didn't even remember what I needed it for :p

ohlawd

pls tell me some of you guys are online like an hour from now.

help me finish some of these random HR 3 quests like Rathalos, double Wroggi >_<

Top Bottom