• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

GeekyDad

Is this good on the 3ds?

vWvM8Ms.jpg

I'll let you take from that what you will...

Vire

I *lurb* this game. 20 hours in and I just finished the final three star quest. It feels like I've only played five hours... time just flies in this game. It is excellence on a cart, and I can't wait to be able to play with other GAFfers when MH4 hits.

I tried the switch Axe for the first time today too... I had read somewhere that it is the best cutting weapon for hammer users (which I am), and I really liked it, but I was confused about what the two "modes" of the axe do. When should I use the R button to switch, and is a hammer/axe setup a good balance? I've tried every weapon now except for the ranged ones, and hammer is by far my favorite, but it can't cut off tails. The dual sword was my second favorite before trying the axe, but the damage is so much lower on that one and the axes play style feels similar to the hammer's (in terms of weight and precision)

I'm just not sure how equalized this game is with its weapon handling... which is to say, I don't know if switching axe modes with the R button has any meaningful effect or if they just threw it in to make the weapon "feel" different, even if it doesn't substantially alter strategy.

I'm not an expert but for the SA the way I use it is I always try to get power phial and stay in sword mode whenever I can. If a monster gets knocked over and flinches and I have very little of the meter left I will switch out and use the axe mode instead of reloading.

Otherwise I use the axe mode for when the monsters tails are too high off the ground and are really hard to hit or if i'm having trouble with mobility since you move faster in axe mode (This becomes less of a problem when you get evade distance up as closing the gap even in sword mode becomes really easy. Its not only a good defense tool but also offensive specially for SA sword mode when you can do your evade roll straight into the upswing.)

upandaway

I tested the SA in the arena just to make sure I'm not making things up (and I got some of my fastest times as proof), I only ever used these 3 moves: the overhead chop, the thrust->sword mode switch, and the vertical slashes. Well I guess the unsheathe chop too, out of necessity. It's kind of ridiculous how unbalanced the SA's movepool is, more than half of it is unusable. Those few moves it has though, are really good.

Also, the SA is.. surprisingly really good underwater thanks to the horizontal control. With Evade Extender it would be invincible. Somehow I don't remember it being that good underwater in Tri, weird.

ohlawd

oh yeah I don't think I've whined about Dual Blades here before.

I already thought LS users were obnoxious with their spirit attacks but DBs... good lord. As I main lances and occasionally hammers you can imagine my frustration.

DaBoss

I already thought LS users were obnoxious with their spirit attacks but DBs... good lord. As I main lances and occasionally hammers you can imagine my frustration.
I really don't see how you could be frustrated using a hammer. Stick to the head while blade users stick to other parts.

Insaniac

Fuck other users when you're using the hammer! They better get the hell outta the way of your super pound to the face or their gonna go flying, bitch!

ohlawd

I really don't see how you could be frustrated using a hammer. Stick to the head while blade users stick to other parts.
Randoms, bruh. They're a different beast altogether. Good for the randoms that stay away from the head tho.

But for lancers, yeah there's no remedy.

upandaway

Fuck other users when you're using the hammer! They better get the hell outta the way of your super pound to the face or their gonna go flying, bitch!
I.. um, well, if they go into a telegraphed super pound, that's on them. But there are circumstances. Like starting a superpound next to someone in the middle of a demon dance/GS charge/whatever. Right? That's on the hammer-man.

Also lemme just say, please don't make it rain with the bow if there's someone charging next to the monster. I'm just saying.

Edit: I don't have any problems with DS users when playing lance. I think whoever you're playing with would hit you no matter which weapon they were using

So, I got to "Mark of a Hero" in the Village quests and it kicked my ass pretty bad, so I started soloing the Port quests offline. I'm HR5 now and it's starting to get pretty challenging. I beat this DevilJoe who just had a ton of HP. I beat him just after getting the 10 minute warning. Is soloing the port quests with level appropriate gear something sane people do?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So, I got to "Mark of a Hero" in the Village quests and it kicked my ass pretty bad, so I started soloing the Port quests offline. I'm HR5 now and it's starting to get pretty challenging. I beat this DevilJoe who just had a ton of HP. I beat him just after getting the 10 minute warning. Is soloing the port quests with level appropriate gear something sane people do?
Sane people go online.

Chuckpebble

Soloing G-Rank is no problem. It's the DLC event quests that get near impossible. I've run out of time on the "Cruel King of the Sea" event quest 5 times now. I need to complete that 5 times to craft a coveted gunlance.

Insaniac

I.. um, well, if they go into a telegraphed super pound, that's on them. But there are circumstances. Like starting a superpound next to someone in the middle of a demon dance/GS charge/whatever. Right? That's on the hammer-man.

Also lemme just say, please don't make it rain with the bow if there's someone charging next to the monster. I'm just saying.

Edit: I don't have any problems with DS users when playing lance. I think whoever you're playing with would hit you no matter which weapon they were using

mmm, IMO if a monster is in a trap or flopping on the ground, and some DS user or whatever makes a move to that head when there is a hammer user, its on them. Hammer users should go for that KO regardless, ESPECIALLY if the monster is in a pitfall

Now obviously a hammer user shouldn't go super pounding a monster in the feet if there are other hunters there cause thats not their domain.

upandaway

I soloed everything up to mid HR8. I remember HR Deviljho taking me ~22 min, so it's definitely possible to solo port quests with sensible times. Hell I think those times are more sensible than with the village quests (a bit too short).

Solo is a completely different experience from multiplayer. Nothing wrong with that.
Some of those HR8 quests though, no thanks.

Wiseblade

Really? I think port solo simply takes too long. Like, I've proven that I'm more than capable of handling a Royal Ludroth in the first 10 minutes, only for the fight to go on for another 15.

Andrin

Anyone up for some hunting later?
I'm working on some gear from Lucent Narga's right now, but I'm rather behind on event quests as well so I'd be up for a few of them too.

upandaway

Really? I think port solo simply takes too long. Like, I've proven that I'm more than capable of handling a Royal Ludroth in the first 10 minutes, only for the fight to go on for another 15.
Take that as an opportunity to practice your DPS! As a general rule, aside from the HP buckets, you can get most monsters under 20 minutes. It's been so long I've done R.Ludroth without an overpowered weapon so I don't remember, but I think 15-16 is sensible. I assume we're talking G-Rank.

If you give me a weapon to make I could try again just to be sure about this, because I'm only going off memory.

edit: i'm going online right now if anyone's up

The one thing I'm unclear on is how HR works. I'm almost done with the 5* low rank quests and I'm only HR1. I have only been doing the single player quests, I haven't done any multiplayer stuff yet. What makes your HR go up?

Kyzon

The one thing I'm unclear on is how HR works. I'm almost done with the 5* low rank quests and I'm only HR1. I have only been doing the single player quests, I haven't done any multiplayer stuff yet. What makes your HR go up?

Multiplayer quests make your HR go up :)

Anura

I think that just shows how much more you need to work on things, no offense. G rank Lud takes me anywhere between 9-11 min without even trying (quicker with some weapons) but that might be an unfair comparison with my ungodly amount of time with the series. Soloing is a different beast from online and has a different ebb and flow that takes a while to get the hang of. Ultimately it comes down to something that I have said before and that is that MH is a game not of completion but mastery and the goal is just to beat the monster but to dominate it.

Chuckpebble

I keep trying to get into bow and I just can't. I'm gun lancing Steel Uragaan in G-Rank inside of 15 minutes.
Meanwhile I've read up on bow, I know about my best arrow type and range. Add power and poison coatings to the midnight farflight. Paralyze, sleep bomb, poison, pierce him lengthwise all day: 40+ minutes. I keep looking for tutorials, can't find solo g-rank stuff. Any help?

Ken

I keep trying to get into bow and I just can't. I'm gun lancing Steel Uragaan in G-Rank inside of 15 minutes.

Eh, if it doesn't click it doesn't click, and I wouldn't force myself to try to "get" anything. I say this because I was in your position too; I thought bows were really cool but in practice I just didn't find them fun or saw why people used them.

Anura

Meanwhile I've read up on bow, I know about my best arrow type and range. Add power and poison coatings to the midnight farflight. Paralyze, sleep bomb, poison, pierce him lengthwise all day: 40+ minutes. I keep looking for tutorials, can't find solo g-rank stuff. Any help?

The green narga bow isn't very good... Bows also got a huge nerf and if you don't understand them very well you won't get good times. They can tear through certain monsters (I mentioned this before but the Ala bow wrecks I. Lagi) but some monsters give them some trouble. For uragaan I usually like to use a rapid bow that can break the chin pretty fast that way I can focus damage there instead of getting just a few stomach hits with pierce or trying to hit it with rapid and hitting the legs or something. The kelbi bow with the Lagi X set gemmed with normal + and bomber should see you through that fight and failing that a water bow could work but it isn't nearly as good for the job. Also keep in mind that charging the kelbi bow will get you a lot better times than mashing X if you know what you're doing.

Insaniac

The green narga bow isn't very good... Bows also got a huge nerf and if you don't understand them very well you won't get good times. They can tear through certain monsters (I mentioned this before but the Ala bow wrecks I. Lagi) but some monsters give them some trouble. For uragaan I usually like to use a rapid bow that can break the chin pretty fast that way I can focus damage there instead of getting just a few stomach hits with pierce or trying to hit it with rapid and hitting the legs or something. The kelbi bow with the Lagi X set gemmed with normal + and bomber should see you through that fight and failing that a water bow could work but it isn't nearly as good for the job. Also keep in mind that charging the kelbi bow will get you a lot better times than mashing X if you know what you're doing.

Yeah i've used the bow a bit and I feel it doesn't match up on par with other weapons in terms of soloability.

Getting Focus is probably the biggest boost to DPS a bow will get, followed by power coatings and/or ele attack up if its an ele heavy bow. I wouldn't even both with para coatings on a bow if you're going solo because when applying para status you lose the elemental effect of a bow. IMO Rapid is the single best arrow type because its easy to target monster weakpoints and useful against all monsters (whereas spread has a very narrow "range" to be optimally effective and pierce is most effective against long monsters)

I've had good success with the Full G rank Uragaan set which gives Defense up L Load Up and Normal S up (boosts rapid arrow) and gem in Focus. Two bows that work well with it are the aquasteed harp which gets a Rapid 5 level 4 charge and the Opressors answer which also gets a Rapid 5 level 4 charge. On top of that, both of those bows can automatically use power coating and have a good balance of raw and elemental damage.

Edit: Quoted Anura but this is meant to be more directed at Chuckpebble

Top Bottom