• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Anura

Yeah i've used the bow a bit and I feel it doesn't match up on par with other weapons in terms of soloability.

Getting Focus is probably the biggest boost to DPS a bow will get, followed by power coatings and/or ele attack up if its an ele heavy bow. I wouldn't even both with para coatings on a bow if you're going solo because when applying para status you lose the elemental effect of a bow. IMO Rapid is the single best arrow type because its easy to target monster weakpoints and useful against all monsters (whereas spread has a very narrow "range" to be optimally effective and pierce is most effective against long monsters)

I've had good success with the Full G rank Uragaan set which gives Defense up L Load Up and Normal S up (boosts rapid arrow) and gem in Focus. Two bows that work well with it are the aquasteed harp which gets a Rapid 5 level 4 charge and the Opressors answer which also gets a Rapid 5 level 4 charge. On top of that, both of those bows can automatically use power coating and have a good balance of raw and elemental damage.

Edit: Quoted Anura but this is meant to be more directed at Chuckpebble

Power coatings are your biggest boost (50%) in damage and are almost required. The next biggest boost in damage are the normal/pierce/scatter up skills that will increase that shot type by 10% (30% for scatter and is also almost required for that shot type) in comparison AuL is roughly a 7% boost to damage. So it goes Focus > shot type up > Crit eye/Aul (depends on the bow like every other weapon type) > element. You can put power coatings+ between focus and shot type if your bow doesn't have it

Insaniac

Power coatings are your biggest boost (50%) in damage and are almost required. The next biggest boost in damage are the normal/pierce/scatter up skills that will increase that shot type by 10% (30% for scatter and is also almost required for that shot type) in comparison AuL is roughly a 7% boost to damage. So it goes Focus > shot type up > Crit eye/Aul (depends on the bow like every other weapon type) > element. You can put power coatings+ between focus and shot type if your bow doesn't have it

yeah i meant to say next to power coatings but blah

Time to farm a bajillion earth crystals for the third ancient shard weapons *sigh*

Anura

yeah i meant to say next to power coatings but blah

Time to farm a bajillion earth crystals for the third ancient shard weapons *sigh*

I was mostly correcting the element part because it's debatable with the focus/power coating stuff simply from focus making things easier on the player. Good luck with that EC farming btw... ugh I hate doing that so much

upandaway

!!!!

gasp!!!!!!

aaaahhhhhh!!!!

X2hrVev.jpg

iaAiqFT.jpg

kA5i1le.jpg

size

IvITW6J.jpg

i'm breathing don't worry

upandaway

I think the official price is $39, I paid $29 on Amazon. I'm pretty sure it was higher there earlier but it's 29 right now again seems like. Dunno if that's permanent.

isual

I think the official price is $39, I paid $29 on Amazon. I'm pretty sure it was higher there earlier but it's 29 right now again seems like. Dunno if that's permanent.

man. those illustration books are superb. never really was into buying that sort of paraphernalia, but shiettttt.

i'm torn between buying them and the gundam origins hardcovers.

shiettt

Kokonoe

Banned
Whoa! I didn't know you could change pigments to armors! I'm pimp momma right now with this Purple Ludroth with green edgings. Ballin'

Chuckpebble

The green narga bow isn't very good... Bows also got a huge nerf and if you don't understand them very well you won't get good times. They can tear through certain monsters (I mentioned this before but the Ala bow wrecks I. Lagi) but some monsters give them some trouble. For uragaan I usually like to use a rapid bow that can break the chin pretty fast that way I can focus damage there instead of getting just a few stomach hits with pierce or trying to hit it with rapid and hitting the legs or something. The kelbi bow with the Lagi X set gemmed with normal + and bomber should see you through that fight and failing that a water bow could work but it isn't nearly as good for the job. Also keep in mind that charging the kelbi bow will get you a lot better times than mashing X if you know what you're doing.

Yeah i've used the bow a bit and I feel it doesn't match up on par with other weapons in terms of soloability.

Getting Focus is probably the biggest boost to DPS a bow will get, followed by power coatings and/or ele attack up if its an ele heavy bow. I wouldn't even both with para coatings on a bow if you're going solo because when applying para status you lose the elemental effect of a bow. IMO Rapid is the single best arrow type because its easy to target monster weakpoints and useful against all monsters (whereas spread has a very narrow "range" to be optimally effective and pierce is most effective against long monsters)

I've had good success with the Full G rank Uragaan set which gives Defense up L Load Up and Normal S up (boosts rapid arrow) and gem in Focus. Two bows that work well with it are the aquasteed harp which gets a Rapid 5 level 4 charge and the Opressors answer which also gets a Rapid 5 level 4 charge. On top of that, both of those bows can automatically use power coating and have a good balance of raw and elemental damage.

Edit: Quoted Anura but this is meant to be more directed at Chuckpebble

Thanks, I'll try some things. Mainly, this maxed out Stygian bow I have lying around. I think I just have an affinity for pierce since it was such a powerful shot in Tri.

tuffy

!!!!

gasp!!!!!!

aaaahhhhhh!!!!
I think it's hilarious how it illustrates all the layers of the Village Sweetheart's uniform along with what they're made of, explicitly for the benefit of cosplayers. It's a fine artbook and a lot thicker than the first Monster Hunter one.
Whoa! I didn't know you could change pigments to armors! I'm pimp momma right now with this Purple Ludroth with green edgings. Ballin'
The only thing to keep in mind is that upgrading an armor piece resets it back to its original color, so I usually wait until I'm done putting spheres into it before swapping pigments.

After hunting alone for so long, I'm surprised how many items people don't bring to a hunt. I usually have 2 pages full of items for every hunt. Maybe it's because I can farm on the 3DS, but people shouldn't go out with out potions. So many are also lacking tranquilizers, hot drinks, and cold drinks. Also I've discovered the magic of dung bombs. Have a monster walk off as soon as you set a trap? Hit him with a dung bomb. Always seems to take him back to where I need him to go.

Insaniac

I think it's hilarious how it illustrates all the layers of the Village Sweetheart's uniform along with what they're made of, explicitly for the benefit of cosplayers. It's a fine artbook and a lot thicker than the first Monster Hunter one.

The only thing to keep in mind is that upgrading an armor piece resets it back to its original color, so I usually wait until I'm done putting spheres into it before swapping pigments.

Ooooh thats why my armor pigments kept resetting. That was bugging me

haha, the ludroth armor is great because the color change is very noticable. My brothers HR ludroth armor was rainbow colored so I called it his "Technicolor dreamcoat"

Then he upgraded to G-Rank Ludroth armor and I was jelly.

After hunting alone for so long, I'm surprised how many items people don't bring to a hunt. I usually have 2 pages full of items for every hunt. Maybe it's because I can farm on the 3DS, but people shouldn't go out with out potions. So many are also lacking tranquilizers, hot drinks, and cold drinks. Also I've discovered the magic of dung bombs. Have a monster walk off as soon as you set a trap? Hit him with a dung bomb. Always seems to take him back to where I need him to go.

I encountered this trap situation several times but often if I throw a Dung Bomb the monster would walk to another area, not to the previous one, unless the area is a dead-end.
Also why would you bring Tranquilizers? 8 Tranq Bombs are more than enough, I only bring two Tranquilizers/Bomb Casings if I want to be cheesy and capture all 5 monsters in Moga Woods, but never in multiplayer mode.

upandaway

There's just not too much reason to bring items if you're playing with 4 people. I sometimes like to flash monsters or put down traps just for the hell of it, but it's easy to see that we could have a dandy time even without doing that.

Insaniac

it bugs me when people don't bring flash bombs or traps or sonic bombs or whatever is necessary for the quest. What are you going to do with those 2 pages of inventory space? Fill it up with your carves?

When I go blademaster I always bring combo book 1/2 Mega pots, energy drinks, paintballs, flash bombs, tranq bombs, trap tools, pitfall/shock traps, whetstones, might/adamant seeds, thunderbugs, and my power/armor charms/talons. Lifepowders if we're going up against a particularly tough monster, and other situation items like drinks, sonic bombs, or barrel bombs for nibelsnarf.

Kokonoe

Banned
lol this quest has you killing Jaggia, and then out of nowhere a Deviljho attacks and it's like "run for your life!". I haven't ever killed one so I went for it with my Lagiacrus Gunlance and with 12 minutes left to spare I defeated the Deviljho. Surprised they didn't have something special like "wow! you actually defeated it!?", but ah well. That thing has a TON of health, though. I think the hardest part about the fight is if you mess up and it lands on you, spamming the buttons that much will give you carpel tunnel to break out. Either way! It's dead!

haha, the ludroth armor is great because the color change is very noticable. My brothers HR ludroth armor was rainbow colored so I called it his "Technicolor dreamcoat"

Then he upgraded to G-Rank Ludroth armor and I was jelly.

So G-Rank armor looks different? I haven't got there yet.

tuffy

I think the hardest part about the fight is if you mess up and it lands on you, spamming the buttons that much will give you carpel tunnel to break out. Either way! It's dead!
If the monster has pounced on you and is chomping away, just about all your items are unusable except dung bombs. Throwing one of those will get it off of you instantly. So it's always good to keep some in your inventory.
Although there's a few exceptions (like Volvidon or Artian), most G rank armor looks different than its high rank counterpart.

It depends. The following G-Rank armors will look the same as the High Rank version:

Bnahabra X
Rhenoplos X
Slagtoth X
Mosgharl X
Baggi X
Wroggi X
Arzuros X
Lagombi X
Volvidon X
Ingot X
Dianthus/Campanile
Artian X
Plesioth X
Guild Bard/Scholar X
Strider/Deadeye
Aelucanth/Rhopessa X
Dober X
Damascus X

If you're using Windows there is a full armor gallery in the MH3G Dex program:

Kyzon

it bugs me when people don't bring flash bombs or traps or sonic bombs or whatever is necessary for the quest. What are you going to do with those 2 pages of inventory space? Fill it up with your carves?

When I go blademaster I always bring combo book 1/2 Mega pots, energy drinks, paintballs, flash bombs, tranq bombs, trap tools, pitfall/shock traps, whetstones, might/adamant seeds, thunderbugs, and my power/armor charms/talons. Lifepowders if we're going up against a particularly tough monster, and other situation items like drinks, sonic bombs, or barrel bombs for nibelsnarf.

You bring a lot lol. I usually only really stock up on special Monsters. I'm almost always ill prepared, but it's rarely a problem with GAF hunts. Most of ya are resourceful.

ohlawd

when hunting with GAF, I don't bring anything.Monsters die too fast anyway.

with randoms, I bring tranqs and a trap because I take the initiative when I want to cap. I bring flash bombs for all variants of Los. Always bring dung bombs because there's always that one guy who gets caught in munching time. Better yet when the environment is unstable.

Antidotes, deoderants, cold and hot drinks... depends on the monster and place.

Anura

I never bring traps unless I/we want to cap even when solo. Flash and sonic bombs are only brought when up against los or diablos but I always carry both hot/cool drinks.

Kyzon

I always forget deodorant, so either I die, or wait for another hunter to get stunk up, and run through their cloud.

No, it's not efficient.

Bah, I'm feeling the need to hunt. Gaf, you've brought my passion back.

I encountered this trap situation several times but often if I throw a Dung Bomb the monster would walk to another area, not to the previous one, unless the area is a dead-end.
Also why would you bring Tranquilizers? 8 Tranq Bombs are more than enough, I only bring two Tranquilizers/Bomb Casings if I want to be cheesy and capture all 5 monsters in Moga Woods, but never in multiplayer mode.
I mean the the bombs. I just call them that. 8 is usually enough.

Wiseblade

I take a moderate approach to preparation. Recovery items are a must, but I don't deal with combinables. Offensively, I only bring what I deem necessary. Traps if I'm capping, flash/sonic bombs if hitting the monster is too difficult without them. I don't use barrel bombs solo, but I'll bring some to a multiplayer hunt.

EDIT: I am there on the 26th, whatever it takes!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
when hunting with GAF, I don't bring anything.Monsters die too fast anyway.

with randoms, I bring tranqs and a trap because I take the initiative when I want to cap. I bring flash bombs for all variants of Los. Always bring dung bombs because there's always that one guy who gets caught in munching time. Better yet when the environment is unstable.

Antidotes, deoderants, cold and hot drinks... depends on the monster and place.
I might just be a bad person but rather than bring dung bombs I just take it as an opportunity to attack the monster if it's munching on someone else.

Stoof

Going to be farming a couple G-Rank monsters soon if anyone wants to join in. Room is in Free C, Lobby 10, pass is mh4u

Stoof

Sorry I had moved the room to passless because I didn't know if anyone would answer :( Full atm but I can post if someone leaves.

upandaway

I DID IT

ALATREON IS NO MORE

THE VILLAGE IS DONE

I forgot to check the time but it was somewhere around the 30 minutes, no carts. My set had like -20 dragon defense, holy crap haha.
Weapon was the slime GS. I planned on spamming Crit Draw unsheathes, but it was surprisingly easy to get charges out too with Focus.

I don't think I ever played so defensively in my life, I was sure I'd time out. His tail popped off like 5 minutes in, so I guess that was a sign. I used like 6 farcasters. Didn't even do the things I wanted, like getting him stuck or using the binder, but oh well~ I got the Dragongem out of it anyway.

IT'S OVER

I WANNA DO IT AGAIN

Andrin

Grats!

I was cheap and did it the Kelbi way, but even then I had a -30 fire weakness. Those fireballs were utterly terrifying. I did like how they made Ala even more unpredictable and dangerous than the MH3 version though.

Insaniac

welp, finished farming the EC and upgraded my ancient shard SnS.

Dat purple sharpness.

Dat dragon damage.

840 with Ele attack up *swoon*

GeekyDad

Man, I want to do multiplayer so bad. I hope Nintendo do a BOMBA sale on Wii U soon. I can up my save and be livin' the high life instead of bumming around Moga all by my lonesome.

ohlawd

Man, I want to do multiplayer so bad. I hope Nintendo do a BOMBA sale on Wii U soon. I can up my save and be livin' the high life instead of bumming around Moga all by my lonesome.

There's always a bomba sale going on.

Unless you want to buy it for $200 or less which is totally unrealistic imo.

Wiseblade

OK, how much of a difference do charm tables make? Is the handicraft+5 charm I've seen so much of online exclusive to a particular one? How many sets will I be locked out of if I have the wrong table?

Basically, I want an armour set with Sharpness+1 and Status+2 abd getting the right charm seems to be the only way to make it happen.

tuffy

OK, how much of a difference do charm tables make? Is the handicraft+5 charm I've seen so much of online exclusive to a particular one? How many sets will I be locked out of if I have the wrong table?
If you're on a specific charm table and you manage to find a specific charm and you forge a bunch of other armor parts and decorations then you'll be able to put together a set with a batch of skills that might make hunting marginally easier. But I think the importance of charm tables tends to be overstated.

If you just want Sharpness +1 and Status +2, it's certainly possible with any 3 slot charm and the right set.

Anura

If you're on a specific charm table and you manage to find a specific charm and you forge a bunch of other armor parts and decorations then you'll be able to put together a set with a batch of skills that might make hunting marginally easier. But I think the importance of charm tables tends to be overstated.

If you just want Sharpness +1 and Status +2, it's certainly possible with any 3 slot charm and the right set.

I was about to suggest that same set, lol!

ohlawd

is there a site out there that has some premade sets? I'm a lazy ass so I don't want to figure out the proper combination of armor to get what I want.

Something like Sharpness +1, Evasion +1, Guard + 1/2?

Top Bottom