• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Insaniac

is there a site out there that has some premade sets? I'm a lazy ass so I don't want to figure out the proper combination of armor to get what I want.

Something like Sharpness +1, Evasion +1, Guard + 1/2?

thats funny cause even though I use Athena's to find armor sets I generally end up making my own combinations due to A) lack of the proper charm and B) self satisfaction in creating a great armor set

making sharpness +1 sets is sometimes tough cause a lot of flexibility depends on how good of a handicraft charm you have have. I was lucky and managed to get a +4 handicraft charm which has allowed me to get sharpness +1 on a lot more armor sets, like this one i recently made:

Selene Helm Z
Nargacuga Mail X
Selene Vambraces Z
Selene Coil Z
Uragaan Greaves X

which gives me Sharpness +1, Evade Extender and Element attack up. I'm still seeing if I can switch some pieces around to get evasion +1 and evade extender but I haven't fully checked yet.

tuffy

thats funny cause even though I use Athena's to find armor sets I generally end up making my own combinations due to A) lack of the proper charm and B) self satisfaction in creating a great armor set
I'll often build my own sets because premade ones will often have some really mismatched resistance values. Like I'll be searching around for a set to hunt Dire Miralis only to find it has -20 flame resistance or something. So I'll just keep plugging in parts and decorations into the online generator until it comes up with something I like and then build it in-game.
I'm still seeing if I can switch some pieces around to get evasion +1 and evade extender but I haven't fully checked yet.
Evade Extender is a pretty expensive skill, slot-wise (it only has 1 slot decorations with a point each) and Element Up is almost as bad (you'll need 2, 3 slot armor pieces and 2 extra slots), so it's tricky to get both without a full set of Alatreon armor. After awhile, it becomes easier to sense what'll fit and what won't based on the charms I have and how costly the skills are.

ohlawd

I'll often build my own sets because premade ones will often have some really mismatched resistance values. Like I'll be searching around for a set to hunt Dire Miralis only to find it has -20 flame resistance or something. So I'll just keep plugging in parts and decorations into the online generator until it comes up with something I like and then build it in-game.

lol dammit now I have to worry about negative resistance. Switched one of those sets to this one to accommodate my Evade charm and the fact that I don't want to grind the Arena.

But dem weaknesses, especially fire. You can eat for fire resistance at the canteen but how big is the boost?

tuffy

But dem weaknesses, especially fire. You can eat for fire resistance at the canteen but how big is the boost?
Last I checked, if your resistance is negative - and it doesn't matter how negative - eating puts it at positive 3. If it's positive, eating adds 3 points.

ohlawd

Last I checked, if your resistance is negative - and it doesn't matter how negative - eating puts it at positive 3. If it's positive, eating adds 3 points.

That's good enough for me. Maaaaaaaaaaan I can't wait to finish BD (probably done Thursday night or Friday morning) so I can get back.

Well, I ordered the wiiu version of this game off amazon. Arrives next week. Gonna be my first wiiu game. I expect I'll be in here begging for help of some kind soon enough.

tuffy

That's good enough for me. Maaaaaaaaaaan I can't wait to finish BD (probably done Thursday night or Friday morning) so I can get back.
I just started BD yesterday. It's a lot of fun and I'm starting to get the hang of its combat system.

But after making some progress, I put it into sleep mode so I could mess around with the sword and shield in Monster Hunter for a little while. Just when I think I'm out, it pulls me back in.
Well, I ordered the wiiu version of this game off amazon. Arrives next week. Gonna be my first wiiu game. I expect I'll be in here begging for help of some kind soon enough.
Even if I never played another Wii U title, it'd be worth it for all the time I put into Monster Hunter. The single player quests are a great place to learn how the game operates and the online multiplayer is a great place to put all that experience to use.

upandaway

Yeah Athena's app really works out great because it takes in your charms. After so many volcano runs I've stopped hunting for charms anymore, so I can just get the sets from there.

Okay so I just got a 3DS and this game over the weekend. I have put 7 hours into it so far and I keep seeing charm tables being talked about. I take it there are good/great ones and bad ones and there is no way of knowing which you have in game. Am I to early into the game to find out what table I am on? For reference I have 6 charms all with 0 slots and I have just finished the Great Jaggi village quest.

upandaway

Okay so I just got a 3DS and this game over the weekend. I have put 7 hours into it so far and I keep seeing charm tables being talked about. I take it there are good/great ones and bad ones and there is no way of knowing which you have in game. Am I to early into the game to find out what table I am on? For reference I have 6 charms all with 0 slots and I have just finished the Great Jaggi village quest.
Not an exaggeration to say charm tables will only be relevant to you in maybe 300 more hours of gameplay, at the earliest.

You should be able to find out right now which table you're on, though, with the fishermen.

Not an exaggeration to say charm tables will only be relevant to you in maybe 300 more hours of gameplay, at the earliest.

You should be able to find out right now which table you're on, though, with the fishermen.

Yeah I know it won't but if I play this anything like MHFU then I will have well over 2k of hours into it. As luck would have it my fisherman just came back. How do I check with the fishermen?

Wiseblade

If you're that early, don't even think about it. I've put just shy of 200 hours into the game and am only now beginning to think about charm tables.you can totally have an enjoyable experience with the game without jumping down the min-max rabbit hole.

I'm just totally incapable of playing a game without doing so.

If you're that early, don't even think about it. I've put just shy of 200 hours into the game and am only now beginning to think about charm tables.you can totally have an enjoyable experience with the game without jumping down the min-max rabbit hole.

I'm just totally incapable of playing a game without doing so.

I know I can enjoy the game without worrying about it. I just don't want to be on a bad one and end up having 200+ hours.

Anura

I know I can enjoy the game without worrying about it. I just don't want to be on a bad one and end up having 200+ hours.
Uh... there is a guide for it somewhere but I am on my phone now and it would be a pain to bring it up. Basically you send your fishermen out and plug in what the catch and it tells you what table you're on. If you didn't get a super good table don't worry about it as it is more than likely you will never see any super amazing charms even at 200+ (Good charms yes but very rarely will you get the best of the best). Only reset if you're on a "cursed table" as those glitched tables are a huge detriment to you in more ways than one

Uh... there is a guide for it somewhere but I am on my phone now and it would be a pain to bring it up. Basically you send your fishermen out and plug in what the catch and it tells you what table you're on. If you didn't get a super good table don't worry about it as it is more than likely you will never see any super amazing charms even at 200+ (Good charms yes but very rarely will you get the best of the best). Only reset if you're on a "cursed table" as those glitched tables are a huge detriment to you in more ways than one
Thanks I'll search for that guide. Yeah I just don't want a cursed table at 200+ hours.

Doombear

http://mhvuze.de/3ucharm/fishEN/

This should do the trick, and there is a sticky on GameFAQs I believe. You will enter in what was brought back. Enter in the order it is shown on your screen. So the item at the top of your list goes in row 1, column 1. The second item goes in row 1, column 2 and so on.

Do that and press send. It will then try to narrow down your table. It MAY take a few runs.

Is there a maintenance or something at the moment? My Wii U froze in the middle of an online quest, and when I try to reconnect it says “Could not retrieve World information”.

Edit: it's working again è_è

GeekyDad

Man, now that I know the little bomb/fishing trick for Nibelsnarf, he's so much more fun to hunt. Still loathe fighting Diablos/Black Diablos, though. What a douche.

Haunted

Coming back to this game after months of absence, and man I'm rusty. Helping a friend of mine to ascend through the ranks. Not too many new event quests to download. One G-Rank event gives a pretty sweet Switch-Axe, tempted to go for that one.

Man, now that I know the little bomb/fishing trick for Nibelsnarf, he's so much more fun to hunt. Still loathe fighting Diablos/Black Diablos, though. What a douche.
Sonic Bombs are really helpful in those fights.

Also, Black Diablos (when angry) is too fast for his own good. If you get hit by one of his charges, don't push any buttons, just stay down. His second charge will pass right over you. If you panic and press buttons to quickly get out of the way, he'll nail you 100%.

But yeah, definitely one of the more annoying monsters to fight in this game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Also, Black Diablos (when angry) is too fast for his own good. If you get hit by one of his charges, don't push any buttons, just stay down. His second charge will pass right over you. If you panic and press buttons to quickly get out of the way, he'll nail you 100%.

*her

Black Diablos are female and in heat.

Anura

Coming back to this game after months of absence, and man I'm rusty. Helping a friend of mine to ascend through the ranks. Not too many new event quests to download. One G-Rank event gives a pretty sweet Switch-Axe, tempted to go for that one.

I want to add that once you sonic bomb her you can then flash bomb her out of the sky as she flies out for more hits and then you can set up a pitfall at her feet and do the same thing when she comes out of that

tuffy

That move where Diablos will tremor under my hunter and then launch vertically is nightmare fuel. It gives me just enough time to realize how doomed I am while stumbling around before sending me off to the kitty cart with one big hit. Though not a common attack, the only ways I have to survive it are either a full set of Uragaan X (with Defense Up (L)) or to spend 5 slots on Tremor Resistance.

upandaway

That move where Diablos will tremor under my hunter and then launch vertically is nightmare fuel. It gives me just enough time to realize how doomed I am while stumbling around before sending me off to the kitty cart with one big hit. Though not a common attack, the only ways I have to survive it are either a full set of Uragaan X (with Defense Up (L)) or to spend 5 slots on Tremor Resistance.
That attack never hits me if I'm sheathed. Only rarely in area 8, maybe.

GeekyDad

Ha, ha!

I have a sort of obscure, 3DS-specific question for anyone who might know:

Does registering the guild cards of streetpass players have any benefits, and once I've registered players, how do I then see their guild cards again? I've checked everywhere in the manual and online, and I haven't been able to find any info on the feature.

Anura

That attack never hits me if I'm sheathed. Only rarely in area 8, maybe.

Well the thing is she usually gets you with the tremor as you're sheathing and at that point you're going to get hit. Funny enough it can actually be dodged in time even if you get shaken if she is isn't in rage mode but really when is she not in rage mode?

insin

Neo Member
I keep trying to get into bow and I just can't. I'm gun lancing Steel Uragaan in G-Rank inside of 15 minutes.
Meanwhile I've read up on bow, I know about my best arrow type and range. Add power and poison coatings to the midnight farflight. Paralyze, sleep bomb, poison, pierce him lengthwise all day: 40+ minutes. I keep looking for tutorials, can't find solo g-rank stuff. Any help?
No element! Try a water bow - Arken Victrine and Bamboo Kayuga (needs Awoken) both have good spread shots which should be nailing that big, long Ura every time, and with the right armour skill you can bump that to +30%.

Are you using scatter rain? I learnt to bow in MHP3rd HD using almost exclusively scatter rain against Gold Rathalos, the Uragaans and Deviljho - great, great fun learning its range and constantly hammering big monsters with it. Focus-type scatter rain is also brilliant for multi-player once your accuracy is good.

Insaniac

Ha, ha!

I have a sort of obscure, 3DS-specific question for anyone who might know:

Does registering the guild cards of streetpass players have any benefits, and once I've registered players, how do I then see their guild cards again? I've checked everywhere in the manual and online, and I haven't been able to find any info on the feature.

Registered streetpass players can go on hunts while you do stuff if you go to the solo port. You'll see hunters standing there with varying difficulties of quests. Its a great way to get random bits for monsters and sometimes rare ores and bugs. Its fairly cheap on zenny too.
you can see the guild cards by going to menu --> guild card--> guild card list

GeekyDad

Registered streetpass players can go on hunts while you do stuff if you go to the solo port. You'll see hunters standing there with varying difficulties of quests. Its a great way to get random bits for monsters and sometimes rare ores and bugs. Its fairly cheap on zenny too.
you can see the guild cards by going to menu --> guild card--> guild card list

Nah, it can't be that. I have my wife's guild card registered, and her character can be hired for hunts, yeah. But I don't have my son's card registered, yet he too can go on hunts -- just sent his character out on one.

Also, is there a way to look at the player's guild card after you've registered them? The card seems to disappear. That's why I haven't yet registered my son's card.

Anura

No element! Try a water bow - Arken Victrine and Bamboo Kayuga (needs Awoken) both have good spread shots which should be nailing that big, long Ura every time, and with the right armour skill you can bump that to +30%.

Are you using scatter rain? I learnt to bow in MHP3rd HD using almost exclusively scatter rain against Gold Rathalos, the Uragaans and Deviljho - great, great fun learning its range and constantly hammering big monsters with it. Focus-type scatter rain is also brilliant for multi-player once your accuracy is good.

After MHFU bows got their damage formula changed and no longer need element. In fact the best bow in P3rd was the sand barioth bow by far. Rain shots also deal much less damage over time and you will always be better off with just normally charging and only using the rain while you're out of range for optimum damage.

Nah, it can't be that. I have my wife's guild card registered, and her character can be hired for hunts, yeah. But I don't have my son's card registered, yet he too can go on hunts -- just sent his character out on one.

Also, is there a way to look at the player's guild card after you've registered them? The card seems to disappear. That's why I haven't yet registered my son's card.

Like Insaniac said, open the in-game menu → 2nd tab → Guild card → List. Also in Port Tanzia Marina talk to the cat between your blue box and the Granny Go-to, he's related to guild cards.
Where does your son play? Does he have a character on your save?

Insaniac

Did you talk to the cat in the marina and actually register the cards or just street pass? Ive never had an issue with guild cards disappearing after they were registered unless i actively lost my guildcard data

OmegaZero

So I have a few questions for Greatsword GAF:

Right now I'm at 9 Star Village Quests and HR5 in Taznia. Currently using a full set of upgraded Wroggi S armor with a Quarrel Hornsword+ Greatsword as my general use weapon. Before I attempt to get into G Rank, what are some good G-Rank armors I should try to go for? Any recommended High Rank armor sets that would make the transition easier? And should I continue upgrading my Quarrel Hornsword into a Double Diablos or focus on making a Berserker Blade from the Deviljho?

Anura

So I have a few questions for Greatsword GAF:

Right now I'm at 9 Star Village Quests and HR5 in Taznia. Currently using a full set of upgraded Wroggi S armor with a Quarrel Hornsword+ Greatsword as my general use weapon. Before I attempt to get into G Rank, what are some good G-Rank armors I should try to go for? Any recommended High Rank armor sets that would make the transition easier? And should I continue upgrading my Quarrel Hornsword into a Double Diablos or focus on making a Berserker Blade from the Deviljho?
A Ceadeus X/Z mix should always be your first G-rank armor.

ohlawd

Shoud be ZZZXZ for Helios. This way you'll be able to get rid of the negative from the Z set.

You'll get HG Earplugs and Sharpness +1 off the bat. There are enough slots to gem almost anything you want.

Anyway I'm back since I just finished BD. MH, I missed you so much.

GeekyDad

Shoud be ZZZXZ for Helios. This way you'll be able to get rid of the negative from the Z set.

You'll get HG Earplugs and Sharpness +1 off the bat. There are enough slots to gem almost anything you want.

Read a thread about this earlier over on GameFAQs, someone changing things up slightly to get some interesting results

So I've read the OP a few times, I've played the demo on 3DS, and I'm so ready to love Monster Hunter just based on all the love I've seen it getting here on GAF... but when I play it, I don't get it, y'know?

It takes me a while to get into games sometimes, I didn't even like Luigi's Mansion : Dark Moon when I first tried it! So I'm not dissing the game, I just think I need to understand it better.

First off, what kind of game is this? The battle system reminds me a little of Kingdom Hearts DDD, is that fairly accurate? What's the point of the game, kill monsters? I played the "easy" level in the demo for a good 15 minutes and found a big monster but I couldn't kill it, heck, I couldn't even find it when it ran away, I tried following it on the min-map but I don't think I was reading it right. And I don't understand the controls...

So... help?

I couldn't even find it when it ran away, I tried following it on the min-map but I don't think I was reading it right. And I don't understand the controls...

So... help?

I believe even in the demo there's a digital manual that explains the controls, with also one page per weapon. In the HOME menu, go to the demo's block and tap “Help” at the bottom of the touchscreen.

GeekyDad

First off, what kind of game is this?

Action/hunting game.

The battle system reminds me a little of Kingdom Hearts DDD, is that fairly accurate?

No, not really. It's not a button masher, though there are some similarities with KH boss fights -- a lot of "do one or two hits, dodge, repeat."

What's the point of the game, kill monsters?

Yup. Carve their materials after they're defeated, make new weapons and armor, repeat.

I played the "easy" level in the demo for a good 15 minutes and found a big monster but I couldn't kill it, heck, I couldn't even find it when it ran away, I tried following it on the min-map but I don't think I was reading it right. And I don't understand the controls...

So... help?

Don't approach the game like a typical action-combat game. It's very much a hunt. It will take time, you'll need to farm materials and resources to ready yourself, and during a hunt you'll typically need to mark your prey, pursue it, wear it down over time. The demo, unfortunately, doesn't cover most of that. Yeah, there's a digital manual, but it doesn't do much either to really explain the true nature of the game.

Action/hunting game.

No, not really. It's not a button masher, though there are some similarities with KH boss fights -- a lot of "do one or two hits, dodge, repeat."

Yup. Carve their materials after they're defeated, make new weapons and armor, repeat.

Don't approach the game like a typical action-combat game. It's very much a hunt. It will take time, you'll need to farm materials and resources to ready yourself, and during a hunt you'll typically need to mark your prey, pursue it, wear it down over time. The demo, unfortunately, doesn't cover most of that. Yeah, there's a digital manual, but it doesn't do much either to really explain the true nature of the game.

Hey thanks, that sounds way deeper and more awesome than my first impression of the game, I appreciate it. I'll check out the manual and give it another go :)

ohlawd

fought G Rank Azure Los thrice today. First trip got me 3 mantles, 2nd with 2 mantles, 3rd with 2 rubies.

why. why didn't I get this luck with a Brach. I have 6 Palliums from it and no gems. Ever. I JUST WANT ONE GEM.

fought G Rank Azure Los thrice today. First trip got me 3 mantles, 2nd with 2 mantles, 3rd with 2 rubies.

why. why didn't I get this luck with a Brach. I have 6 Palliums from it and no gems. Ever. I JUST WANT ONE GEM.

If you have the Wii U version, you could use the VE tickets for one or two free gems.

Top Bottom