• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Insaniac

Action/hunting game.

No, not really. It's not a button masher, though there are some similarities with KH boss fights -- a lot of "do one or two hits, dodge, repeat."

Yup. Carve their materials after they're defeated, make new weapons and armor, repeat.

Don't approach the game like a typical action-combat game. It's very much a hunt. It will take time, you'll need to farm materials and resources to ready yourself, and during a hunt you'll typically need to mark your prey, pursue it, wear it down over time. The demo, unfortunately, doesn't cover most of that. Yeah, there's a digital manual, but it doesn't do much either to really explain the true nature of the game.

I'd go so far as to put it as a strategic action hunting. People always call the combat "clunky" but the game is designed with a system of rewarding you for playing skillfully/looking for openings to attack, and punishing you if you attempt to get greedy with your attack or trying to heal when not in a safe situation

Hey thanks, that sounds way deeper and more awesome than my first impression of the game, I appreciate it. I'll check out the manual and give it another go :)

For me, a big part of the satisfaction of this game comes from a few things: One becoming stronger, and in turn overcoming monsters who were initially stronger than me. Crafting those awesome sets of armor and/or weapons. Feeling the sense of satisfaction when a hunt goes swimmingly smooth and I just beat a monster into oblivion

tuffy

why. why didn't I get this luck with a Brach. I have 6 Palliums from it and no gems. Ever. I JUST WANT ONE GEM.
Hunting the high rank Village Brachy is another option. It's a ~5.8% for gems from carves alone vs. ~8.6% chance for the G rank one, but each hunt is liable to take a fraction of the time.

ohlawd

Green Plessy is extemely unpopular, huh? Have never seen a room for it. Just need them fins...

Think I'm gonna solo... ahh no, don't wanna.

ajim

Good to see the community thriving!!

I jumped on a few months ago and there were < 100 people online at one time. I was scared.

didn't play it for awhile and its been nice to see the community flourish again!

ohlawd

ohlawd, room's got a free spot again if you're still around

edit: got dc'd, yeah done for today
I gotta do something about my connection and console >_<

I tried going back online but I kept getting errors connecting to a World. Oh well I went and solo'd a Green Plessy. I actually ended up getting all the Green mats in one go. Now I just have to hunt either Plessy for the fangs needed to get my water lance.

NYCrooner

Okay guys so after about five attempts at liking this game (never played a MH), I've finally got a hold of it (I think) and I'm starting to really get drawn in. I have a bajillion questions however slowly but surely I'm find the answers through trail and error.

The one question I can't seem to figure out is actually pretty sad seeing as it's a huge portion of the games ecosystem. Please help me understand what the point of resources is? Why do I collect/generate them and how do I use them? Seems to me that I'm better off using items that I collect for things like making potions, bombs , etc and upgrading/forging weapons and armor.

What am I missing here? Why are resource points so damn important to this game? What did I miss during the tutorial? :(

Thanks.

GeekyDad

Why do I collect/generate them and how do I use them? Seems to me that I'm better off using items that I collect for things like making potions, bombs , etc and upgrading/forging weapons and armor.

What am I missing here? Why are resource points so damn important to this game? What did I miss during the tutorial? :(

Thanks.

Well, you can think of Resources as the second form of currency in the game. There's Zenny and Resources. You will mostly collect Resources through free hunts in Moga Woods, but you can also exchange commodities with Junior for them.

Why do you want them? Because sending out your ships and running your farm are all fueled by Resources, not Zenny, and trust me, later on you likely won't want to have to manually acquire all of the recipe items for comboing the stuff you need.

tuffy

Why do you want them? Because sending out your ships and running your farm are all fueled by Resources, not Zenny, and trust me, later on you likely won't want to have to manually acquire all of the recipe items for comboing the stuff you need.
That's pretty much it. For example, Mega Potions are a great way to restore health, but the shop only sells regular Potions. You'll need to combine regular Potions with Honey to make Mega Potions, but the shop doesn't sell Honey either. But instead of harvesting Honey yourself by wandering around in the Moga Woods, you can (eventually) spend resource points to make it in your farm.

They're not a huge part of the game, but do come in handy.

GeekyDad

You might be right 3X might be for bombs only

Edit: Yup after checking the P3rd damage formula Melee attacks get 2X and bombs get 3X

Still, that ain't bad. Does that attack he did with his switchaxe count as bomb damage or melee? I really haven't messed with the switchaxe much yet, but the attack he did looked similar to wyvern fire.

Insaniac

Still, that ain't bad. Does that attack he did with his switchaxe count as bomb damage or melee? I really haven't messed with the switchaxe much yet, but the attack he did looked similar to wyvern fire.

don't quote me on this, but I'm almost certain that the switch axe phial burst counts as multiple hits, so he only got the melee damage boost on the first "hit" and every subsequent one was as normal. It just so happened that the Rathalos was already at very low health.

Anura

don't quote me on this, but I'm almost certain that the switch axe phial burst counts as multiple hits, so he only got the melee damage boost on the first "hit" and every subsequent one was as normal. It just so happened that the Rathalos was already at very low health.

It is. The strongest would be the explosion at the end. Another thing to keep in mind if you ever want to use a GL is that the wyvern fire is actually a multi hit move and is pretty bad at waking.

Insaniac

It is. The strongest would be the explosion at the end. Another thing to keep in mind if you ever want to use a GL is that the wyvern fire is actually a multi hit move and is pretty bad at waking.

Huh, that makes no sense. how is it a multi hit move in any sense? Well Guess I'll have to stop detonating bombs with a wyvern fire :( shame cause it was very satisfying.

upandaway

Didn't they fix multi-hit moves to register as single hits when waking up monsters? I remember reading, at least, that the superpound was fixed.

Insaniac

decided I'd try to solo a 3 plesi quest to get the last few parts I needed. 2 minutes, 3 hip checks and 10 tail spins later, I highly regret this.

ohlawd

I unlocked my Urgent so I went ahead and fought Miralis. I didn't eat or anything but them fire attacks hurt me something good.

edit: and of course, I quit after two deaths. Just scopin' out what I have to face!

GeekyDad

decided I'd try to solo a 3 plesi quest to get the last few parts I needed. 2 minutes, 3 hip checks and 10 tail spins later, I highly regret this.

mbfltnx.gif

NYCrooner

Man, this game is great but I really do feel overwhelmed. Upgrading vs forging keeps me up at night. lol. Plus trying to figure out which armor to use that best suites my style feels like a science. Also monster fights take so damn long which I'm sure has to do with the fact that I'm using S&S. I've tried other weapon classes but they all feel so slow.

Anyway, outside of those things, I'm really enjoying the game and this is after a number of attempts.

Quick Questions: Does anyone own the Wii U and 3DS versions? Do you use them interchangeably? Is it a hassle? Am I better off just doing off-screen play? Thanks guys.

Quick Questions: Does anyone own the Wii U and 3DS versions? Do you use them interchangeably? Is it a hassle? Am I better off just doing off-screen play? Thanks guys.

I use the Wii U version at home, it's more comfortable for the hands. Unless you are sensitive to input lag (which therefore will mess up all your evasions on the Wii U version) I don't see why you would use the 3DS version at home.
I manage to read the text better on the GamePad's screen (Off-TV) since I can move it closer to me, unlike the TV.

tuffy

Man, this game is great but I really do feel overwhelmed. Upgrading vs forging keeps me up at night. lol. Plus trying to figure out which armor to use that best suites my style feels like a science. Also monster fights take so damn long which I'm sure has to do with the fact that I'm using S&S. I've tried other weapon classes but they all feel so slow.
S&S can be very effective, though you'll need to stick to the monster like glue and make heavy use of items. You could try out the dual blades for something with similar mobility and more "burst" damage with its demon mode just to see if that makes your hunt times any better.

upandaway

You might be going about this the wrong way. Things are overwhelming because you don't know the scale of everything yet. It's no coincidence that the game repeats itself with LR and HR, you can use LR to scout the width of the game, then you'll be more comfortable going deeper during HR, with LR basically being your compass in the dark.

Or um, more colloquially, don't sweat it you'll get used to things eventually.

NYCrooner

I use the Wii U version at home, it's more comfortable for the hands. I don't see why you would use the 3DS version at home.
I manage to read the text better on the GamePad's screen (Off-TV) since I can move it closer to me, unlike the TV.

I was kinda thinking this and it's how I've been using it so far but the 3DS demo didn't seem so bad outside of the camera being sucktard. Wish I didn't miss out on that $20 sale on the eShop.

S&S can be very effective, though you'll need to stick to the monster like glue and make heavy use of items. You could try out the dual blades for something with similar mobility and more "burst" damage with its demon mode just to see if that makes your hunt times any better.

Using the S&S has def been a game of reflex and item management unlike anything I've ever experienced which makes those long monster battles even more frustrating. I'll give the DB a shot.

Insaniac

Anyway, outside of those things, I'm really enjoying the game and this is after a number of attempts.

upgrading weapons cost less parts and/or rare parts rather than to forge directly to a weapon

GeekyDad

...Also monster fights take so damn long which I'm sure has to do with the fact that I'm using S&S. I've tried other weapon classes but they all feel so slow.

In general, hunts (not fights -- don't think of 'em as fights) should take a while. You know, you gotta mark the prey, pursue it, wear it down. You might need to make your way back to base camp for some sleep from time to time, cook some more meat, or even mine for more whetstones should you find yourself in a pinch.

I recommend trying the long sword. I know even it too can feel slow, but since your hits really should be deliberate, I think you might find it a happy medium starting out. The fade slash is particularly useful as it enables you to land a hit and simultaneously move out of the way. When doing hit-and-run attacks (which make up the bulk of blademaster hunting) a good X attack into fade slash, move around, rinse and repeat really is effective.

NYCrooner

In general, hunts (not fights -- don't think of 'em as fights) should take a while. You know, you gotta mark the prey, pursue it, wear it down. You might need to make your way back to base camp for some sleep from time to time, cook some more meat, or even mine for more whetstones should you find yourself in a pinch.

I was curious about this. If I retreat from a hunt back to the camp, does the monster still maintain the damage I inflicted on him or does he re-energize as well? I fear putting in a ton of work kicking his ass, retreating for some rest and find that the bastard is at full strength again when I find him.

tuffy

I was curious about this. If I retreat from a hunt back to the camp, does the monster still maintain the damage I inflicted on him or does he re-energize as well? I fear putting in a ton of work kicking his ass, retreating for some rest and find that the bastard is at full strength again when I find him.
The only time a monster gets health back is by sleeping, and the only time they'll go to sleep on their own is when they're almost dead. Even then, the amount regained is miniscule. So there's no harm in ducking out of the room for awhile to recuperate.

Insaniac

The only time a monster gets health back is by sleeping, and the only time they'll go to sleep on their own is when they're almost dead. Even then, the amount regained is miniscule. So there's no harm in ducking out of the room for awhile to recuperate.

i've heard they restore health when they munch on a hunter too. But then again i've heard that "unexhausts" them so i dunno what is true

i've heard they restore health when they munch on a hunter too. But then again i've heard that "unexhausts" them so i dunno what is true

Yes monsters regain health/stamina when they eat a player, and they also regain health with Recov shots and Qurupeco's health song (green).

Top Bottom