• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

tuffy

Can I still fght Hallowed Jhenny even if I don't have the quest?
If someone else posts it, you should be able to once you hit HR8. To get it on your own quest list, apparently you need to: "Kill or capture all monsters, except for Lucent Nargacuga, Savage Deviljho and Abyssal Lagiacrus. This includes Alatreon." which is more than I remembered.

ohlawd

If someone else posts it, you should be able to once you hit HR8. To get it on your own quest list, apparently you need to: "Kill or capture all monsters, except for Lucent Nargacuga, Savage Deviljho and Abyssal Lagiacrus. This includes Alatreon." which is more than I remembered.
I'm like HR 42 :3

I guess I'm missing Gold Ian, Silver Los and Alatreon.

Anura

I'm like HR 42 :3

I guess I'm missing Gold Ian, Silver Los and Alatreon.

There is always the DLC Purple Jhen

Anyways don't you guys hate it when someone leaves on a quest while you take a few seconds to change gear? I swear that burns me up so much... today I enter a room called "help pls" and they do this to me. I come there to help you and you do that? I am not as angry as I sound but it just annoys me so much sometimes...

tuffy

There is always the DLC Purple Jhen
I thought the only DLC Jhen was Herald of Prosperity, which looks like the regular Village one but has its own set of armor.
Anyways don't you guys hate it when someone leaves on a quest while you take a few seconds to change gear? I swear that burns me up so much... today I enter a room called "help pls" and they do this to me. I come there to help you and you do that? I am not as angry as I sound but it just annoys me so much sometimes...
That's got to be somebody not paying attention to the user list or something. Odds are anybody running off to the back after a quest is posted is just changing gear, so it's stupid to leave without them just because everyone else is checked in.

Anura

I thought the only DLC Jhen was Herald of Prosperity, which looks like the regular Village one but has its own set of armor.

That's got to be somebody not paying attention to the user list or something. Odds are anybody running off to the back after a quest is posted is just changing gear, so it's stupid to leave without them just because everyone else is checked in.
I could have sworn there was a DLC purple jhen... I haven't checked the DLC list in a while so you might be right

oh and he left without two of us...

Anura

Got all the DLC dled and I only see HR 8 Jhenny.

Yeah that seems like the case for the English version but I felt so sure that I had done one that I decided to check my JPN game and it turns out we are missing quite a few quests from that version Purple Jhen being one of them

ohlawd

almost have all mats for Yamato Prime but it's too bad there aren't enough slots to fit what I want :(

k guys, name some worthwhile 5-gem skills since that's the only thing I can do.

upandaway

almost have all mats for Yamato Prime but it's too bad there aren't enough slots to fit what I want :(

k guys, name some worthwhile 5-gem skills since that's the only thing I can do.
Capture Guru, Bombardier, and Speed Sharpening. These days I only use my SS set but they're all useful.

ohlawd

Capture Guru, Bombardier, and Speed Sharpening. These days I only use my SS set but they're all useful.
I probably don't need SS when Razor Sharp is there... or do I? dun dun dun.

If this set had 2 more slots, I could have put in Focus to go with S+1, RS, and Evade +1 D:

tuffy

DAY 3 OF NO RATHALOS RUBY

I SWEAR I AM GOING TO GO INSANE
Can you do the "Rathalos Summit" G rank advanced quest? It's 3 in a row so they're all very weak, and if you wound their heads and capture them all it's about a 37% chance of at least one miserable ruby.

And if that doesn't work, try hugging Poogie ahead of time for luck.

DAY 3 OF NO RATHALOS RUBY

I SWEAR I AM GOING TO GO INSANE

I

JUST

NEED

ONE

You'll get one. I don't know if drop rates are different in MH3U then they are in MHFU but to give you hope it took me a week of straight G-rank rath runs to get my ruby for a set in MHFU. A week and that was playing for about 2-3 hours a day that week doing only rath quests. Eventually I got it down to a science and could take him out in about 2 minutes, so something good did come from it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Can you do the "Rathalos Summit" G rank advanced quest? It's 3 in a row so they're all very weak, and if you wound their heads and capture them all it's about a 37% chance of at least one miserable ruby.

And if that doesn't work, try hugging Poogie ahead of time for luck.

I'm limited to hugging Poogie for luck, since I can only to High Rank stuff. I've watched multiple people get their rubies while I enlisted more hunters for aid, all except me!

I am surrounded by Rathalos corpses and yet I must kill more.

On the plus side I am getting really good at hunting them, I managed to get my capture time to 5min 2 seconds at one point.

Oh well when I get out of work in 5 hours it's back to ruby hunting!

You guys can join if you like :3

The funny thing is I got my first ruby on like my second kill, but unfortunately rath soul requires two rubies...maybe this is justice for getting 5 slimes and 1 brach gem in one kill?

tuffy

I'm limited to hugging Poogie for luck, since I can only to High Rank stuff. I've watched multiple people get their rubies while I enlisted more hunters for aid, all except me!
I know that feeling. I wanted to put together a whole Rath Soul set and its weapon before hopping online, so I did Village "Azure Attack" many times before that last ruby showed up.

I did eventually find one, and got very good at hunting Azure Rathalos in the process. So I should be able to lend a hand in a few hours if need be.

If you flash bomb rath from the sky in this one does he drop a shiny? I remember getting a couple from shiny drops in MHFU from flash bombing him.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I know that feeling. I wanted to put together a whole Rath Soul set and its weapon before hopping online, so I did Village "Azure Attack" many times before that last ruby showed up.

I did eventually find one, and got very good at hunting Azure Rathalos in the process. So I should be able to lend a hand in a few hours if need be.

Ouch lmao, yeah looks like I'm in it for the long haul.

Well unfortnately I won't be home for about 6 hours since I'm at the office right now but if you're around then any help would be greatly appreciated!

NNID: Drillingarm

If you flash bomb rath from the sky in this one does he drop a shiny? I remember getting a couple from shiny drops in MHFU from flash bombing him.

I believe it has a high chance of a shiny yeah.

Good to know, so yeah flash him out of the sky and go for the shiny in each run as well. That will increase your chances of getting that Ruby. As someone who knows all to well how much of a pain it can be to farm for that item, good luck!

GeekyDad

Good to know, so yeah flash him out of the sky and go for the shiny in each run as well. That will increase your chances of getting that Ruby. As someone who knows all to well how much of a pain it can be to farm for that item, good luck!

And I believe there's about a 3-4 percent chance to get one from tail carves depending on whether it's regular rath or azure.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah the tail carves are were I'm like 90% sure I'll end up getting this from lmao.

Gosh though, I'm just sitting here at work thinking about how I'll probably end up staying up until 2am farming rath rubies again ;_;

Yeah the tail carves are were I'm like 90% sure I'll end up getting this from lmao.

Gosh though, I'm just sitting here at work thinking about how I'll probably end up staying up until 2am farming rath rubies again ;_;

If you have the Wii U version you could grind for a VE Golden Ticket by asking other people's Guild Cards online.

ohkay

I feel you man, took me a few days of killing Uragaans to get rubies (though gladly I already had all the rath rubies I needed for my Rath Soul armor)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Do you already have a VE Golden Ticket?

Nope, only the regular VE tickets. Never even seen a golden one.

I feel you man, took me a few days of killing Uragaans to get rubies (though gladly I already had all the rath rubies I needed for my Rath Soul armor)

Farming Uragaans is awful, especially capping them, for some reason I feel like they only become cappable when they're two hits from death. Really easy to overkill.

Nope, only the regular VE tickets. Never even seen a golden one.

Well farming for the Ruby directly will be faster then. VE Tickets are sort of a bonus for those who can play multiplayer.
When playing online ask for all other players' guild cards, your unity level will increase each time you complete a quest with a player you exchanged cards with, every multiple of 25 unity levels you'll get a special VE Ticket.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...1RMa3c1ZktvWHdjRHVLZWdHTFE&toomany=true#gid=0

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Well farming for the Ruby directly will be faster then. VE Tickets are sort of a bonus for those who can play multiplayer.
When playing online ask for all other players' guild cards, your unity level will increase each time you complete a quest with a player you exchanged cards with, every multiple of 25 unity levels you'll get a special VE Ticket.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...1RMa3c1ZktvWHdjRHVLZWdHTFE&toomany=true#gid=0

Oh huh, I had no idea. Lmfao I've grouped with so many different people farming for this thing if I had asked for their guild cards I might be half way to the gold ticket by now :p

Insaniac

Oh huh, I had no idea. Lmfao I've grouped with so many different people farming for this thing if I had asked for their guild cards I might be half way to the gold ticket by now :p

unfortunately you cannot obtain a gold VE ticket until you complete a certain amount of Port quests. Can't give you more info than this as i'm not 100% certain what the number of quests are, and also i can't look it up atm

edit: looks like that google doc had the info, nevermind!

GAF please help me!

I have no idea how n00b friendly this thread is, but I figured I would start here.

My friend and I picked up this game because it looked awesome and I've seen tons of praise for it. However we are either terrible at it or are doing something wrong. I know its not a typical action game and there are no health meters on monsters, you don't actually "level up" ect. but man what the hell am I doing wrong?

Basically today we tried a HR1 mission to take down a Qurupeco. This is the FIRST mission that has you killing an actual monster. I am using dual swords he was using a lance/Shield. We figured out a few things on our own, like having to paint the monster to track it ect. but we spent 50 minutes beating the hell out of this thing and it STILL didn't die and out time limit ran out. Not to mention my stamina meter shrunk so low I couldn't even run anymore.

What are we doing wrong? :( We really want to get into this game but man I just don't have a clue why that thing didn't die.

Is there any beginners guide to really spell it out for us? Are there any tips I need? Is it possible to play thru the game with just the two of us? Or do we HAVE to have four people?

I just am at a total loss here and the game feels so overwhelming.

HELP!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
When is the last time you upgraded your gear?

It sounds like you need to farm for a bit so you can get better gear and weapons.

The game is solo-friendly, even the multi-player portion. Just make sure you guys are keeping your gear up to date. It's one of the big things new players don't realize and it sounds like your problem. Especially if you guys lasted 50 minutes and it didn't die, if you are being aggressive enough it shouldn't take over half an hour tops, if it takes longer that means you need better gear.

When is the last time you upgraded your gear?

It sounds like you need to farm for a bit so you can get better gear and weapons.

The game is solo-friendly, even the multi-player portion. Just make sure you guys are keeping your gear up to date. It's one of the big things new players don't realize and it sounds like your problem. Especially if you guys lasted 50 minutes and it didn't die, if you are being aggressive enough it shouldn't take over half an hour tops, if it takes longer that means you need better gear.

Yikes. I dont even know where to begin. I mean we bought some gear from the shop in the very beginning, but other than that, nothing. What do you mean by farm?

ohlawd

MH has some of the nicest communities around. As long as you don't use Long Swords or Dual Blades, you're cool in my book :p

Just kidding.... kinda :3

I agree with upgrading your weapons. Keep upgrading until you hit a wall such as needing a material from a monster you don't have access to yet.

upandaway

For the kinds of questions you are asking, you'll definitely have a lot more fun after any simple MH3/U tutorial you'll find on Youtube. Hell, you could probably manage with any video that shows someone playing it right.

MH has some of the nicest communities around. As long as you don't use Long Swords or Dual Blades, you're cool in my book :p

Just kidding.... kinda :3

I agree with upgrading your weapons. Keep upgrading until you hit a wall such as needing a material from a monster you don't have access to yet.

:p Hahah thanks

I feel like an idiot because my knowledge is SO rudimentary and don't want to be a bother. So basically what your saying is go to the forge, look at what materials we need for an upgrade, go out and find those materials, upgrade the weapons/armor and try fighting the monster again?

Is that sorta the flow of the game?

Harvest Needed resources--> Upgrade Gear-->Hunt?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yikes. I dont even know where to begin. I mean we bought some gear from the shop in the very beginning, but other than that, nothing. What do you mean by farm?

Basically you've got to kill monsters break body parts to harvest rare materials to build armor sets from them, so you'll be doing quests multiple times if you want a set based off that monster. Each armor set comes in two flavors, blade master (melee) and gunner (ranged weapons), and each one has different bonuses. Bonuses don't work like in normal games.

For example attack +9 does NOTHING, but if you get attack +1 you gain a bonus for a slight boost in attack, then another at +15 and a final one at +20.

Figuring out what all of these bonuses do takes a while but you'll learn em as you see em.

My recommendation is that you guys should both go through the solo 1 star and 2 star quests in Moga village before trying out the stuff in the tavern (that stuff is usually way harder) get a feel for the game, you have a stash with one of each weapon, give a few of them a go and see which one you feel ultra comfortable with. I will recommend the hammer because it's got a great moveset that's amazing to master but also good if you don't know what you're doing yet lmao.

Basically forging / upgrading is superior to buying from the vendor 100% of the time when it comes to gear.

As far as hunting tips go, in low rank quests you don't need to worry too much about what you've got because the supply box should get you everything you need, however I would recommend getting a food buff before every fight from the chef! That stuff is really useful.

Game will take about 10 hours for it to click though lmao.

tuffy

I feel like an idiot because my knowledge is SO rudimentary and don't want to be a bother. So basically what your saying is go to the forge, look at what materials we need for an upgrade, go out and find those materials, upgrade the weapons/armor and try fighting the monster again?

Is that sorta the flow of the game?

Harvest Needed resources--> Upgrade Gear-->Hunt?
That's pretty much it. Better gear (and more experience with how monsters behave) makes it easier to hunt stronger monsters.

And it's not a bad idea to check out some beginner's guides like the beginner's guide to dual swords or the beginner's guide to the lance to get a feel for what sort of tactics to use.

Anura

Thanks for the tips! I think just that little bit has helped a TON. I will take everyones advice and try again.

You should try and make the Jaggi armor first. Great Jaggi is designed to be the "My first last he monster!" in this game so it shouldn't give you too much trouble. The armor doesn't require much rare parts (be sure to break the frill btw) and gives you a noticeable boost in defense compared to the vendor's armors.

Also don't worry about being new. We were all there at some point and are happy to lend a hand and some pointers.

You should try and make the Jaggi armor first. Great Jaggi is designed to be the "My first last he monster!" in this game so it shouldn't give you too much trouble. The armor doesn't require much rare parts (be sure to break the frill btw) and gives you a noticeable boost in defense compared to the vendor's armors.

Also don't worry about being new. We were all there at some point and are happy to lend a hand and some pointers.

Great, I will put that armor as my goal moving forward. Is the Great Jaggi something I can find in the online multiplayer or is it SIngle Player? I don't have a whole lot of interest in playing this single player and the divide is sort of confusing at the moment.

Insaniac

Thanks for the tips! I think just that little bit has helped a TON. I will take everyones advice and try again.

If you're doing multi you must have done the "tutorial" of the game, but maybe you missed some stuff. Anyways, over time your stamina bar will shrink. You can kill certain non-aggressive monsters and carve them for raw meat. Then use a bbq pit to cook the meat and eat it to restore stamina.

Monster Hunter "leveling up" is all about progression by upgrading and forging new weapons / armor. This was explained pretty well by other gaffers so i won't elaborate

Low rank starter Great Jaggi is only available to you in solo, but its a good way to introduce you to the games combat and you may want to craft your first few weapons from it

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Great, I will put that armor as my goal moving forward. Is the Great Jaggi something I can find in the online multiplayer or is it SIngle Player? I don't have a whole lot of interest in playing this single player and the divide is sort of confusing at the moment.

Unfortunately I don't think you can, most of the guild quests in the tavern (multiplayer stuff) are equivalent to the 3 star moga village quests I think?

Basically, most of the moga village (offline) quests have a tavern (online) mirror to them, so you should be able to find both there. However it is probably worth to check out the moga village stuff because you get a lot of good stuff from there like farm unlocks (to make more of some materials) and the fishing boats.

EDIT: FUCK YES FINAL RATH RUBY OBTAINED FREEEDOOMMMMMMMM for now.

Top Bottom