• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

tuffy

In all the upteen online hunts I've done, I've run into only a single incident of someone intentionally griefing. When everyone's fighting against the AI to complete quests and get parts, there's natural motivation to work together and avoid letting the team down. So pretty much everybody I run into is some mix of friendly and determined.

This thread has reminded me just how lucky MH is to have such a great community. I have been playing for so long I think I am taking it for granted.

Honestly there's nothing special about the players in the MH community, it's just a lucky combination of factors like (1) game is co-op and not PvP (2) active community in the West is very small.

The (3) kindness of players to help each other in general is because the game does a TERRIBLE job at introducing mechanics or explaining basic things. As a result you want not to discourage new players in order not to exacerbate factor (2).

Actually on MH3 Wii with the higher user base / the profile system, “clans” were a popular thing and a non negligible amount of people were idiots bragging about how their SHADOW TRUE DARK KILLER!!XX!! clan was so strong, putting Alatreon kill times in profiles, and pressing people to join them.

Then, we still have our MH trolls.

Anura

Honestly there's nothing special about the players in the MH community, it's just a lucky combination of factors like (1) game is co-op and not PvP (2) active community in the West is very small.

The (3) kindness of players to help each other in general is because the game does a TERRIBLE job at introducing mechanics or explaining basic things. As a result you want not to discourage new players in order not to exacerbate factor (2).

Actually on MH3 Wii with the higher user base / the profile system, “clans” were a popular thing and a non negligible amount of people were idiots bragging about how their SHADOW TRUE DARK KILLER!!XX!! clan was so strong, putting Alatreon kill times in profiles, and pressing people to join them.

Then, we still have our MH trolls.

Honestly I never doubted the people were wholly different. That still doesn't change the fact that the community is far more welcoming than just about any other online game and if that is brought about simply by the nature of the beast then I am ok with it.

And Tri was a very weird beast in terms of online... The community there WAS awful and that awfulness is totally alone when it comes to MH (at least after 2 and 1 as those are before my time) and I don't even know why. Adhoc party groups and MH3U are simply amazing though

upandaway

Made a super basic GS Set with Blade of Tartarus, Sharp+1, Focus and Crit Draw, but damn is it entertaining to smack a monster with a level 3 charge and flinch it all the time.
You reminded me that this exists, I've been meaning to do it for a while and it slipped my mind. Turns out I could make this set immediately (well aside from needing one Monster Fluid for the GS, darn gosh it)

hyifLAR.jpg

Possible with any 3-slot charm, which is nuts. Nuts! At least require some crazy charm or something!

Chuckpebble

You reminded me that this exists, I've been meaning to do it for a while and it slipped my mind. Turns out I could make this set immediately (well aside from needing one Monster Fluid for the GS, darn gosh it)

Possible with any 3-slot charm, which is nuts. Nuts! At least require some crazy charm or something!

With a Handicraft +5 charm you can make this. Has the same skill set and I was absolutely stunned that it worked.

ohlawd

I can make upandaway's set after grinding out the fragments and Diablos Hardhorn. The best thing about it is being able to get Sharpness +1 without a crazy Handicraft charm.

Chuckpebble

I can make upandaway's set after grinding out the fragments and Diablos Hardhorn. The best thing about it is being able to get Sharpness +1 without a crazy Handicraft charm.

Yeah, I was insanely lucky with that charm. Meanwhile, it took me forever to get the hardhorns for this.

Insaniac

Is it worth getting quick sheathe on a GS set? I just need 1 hardhorn to get the ugly-ass diablos helm to finish my +1sharp/critdraw/focus/quicksheathe

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Still in n00bville, but I have the Event Quest to go from HR2 to HR3. So I shall be slightly less n00bish after I do that this evening. Finacee works night shift on the weekends so I'll be free to get it done! :D

PS: I need better armor :? for my dual blades. Currently using Barroth and I feel like those aren't exactly the best for my wep choice.

GeekyDad

With a Handicraft +5 charm you can make this. Has the same skill set and I was absolutely stunned that it worked.

That looks like a really sweet GS set. Saved that link to my favorites for later. ;)

PS: I need better armor :? for my dual blades. Currently using Barroth and I feel like those aren't exactly the best for my wep choice.

Expert, Status, Elemental Attack, Bomb Boost (if you're using Dios DB), Stamina -- depending on what type of DB you're using, I imagine any of those skills might be worth considering when looking at different armors. Of course, survival is also a consideration, and I personally made a lot of use out of the Wroggi armors in both low and high ranks. The poison when going from low to high rank was especially harsh when still wearing low-rank armor, and it helped with P. Ludroth at the start.

ohlawd

Nothing turns me on more than seeing three different people (no, I'm not part of the head count lols) cart to the same Diablos.

Waste of time for me but I think it's funny as fuck.

Vanillalite

Hit HR3 last night after another GAFer helped me! Thanks a bunch! :D

Working on Rathalos armor now. Have 2 of my 5 pieces, but I have a feeling getting Rath plate will be hard. :(

tuffy

Nothing turns me on more than seeing three different people (no, I'm not part of the head count lols) cart to the same Diablos.

Raging Diablos is nightmare fuel. Those ascents out of the ground are the worst.
Working on Rathalos armor now. Have 2 of my 5 pieces, but I have a feeling getting Rath plate will be hard. :(
As long as you wound his head and capture him, it's about a 15% chance of getting at least one - which isn't too bad. Get the tail off and your odds jump to about 25%. At that rate you'll have one in no time.

Vanillalite

Thanks for the info! Plan on getting on in a bit to try and make more of my set. Need some armor so I'm less of a total n00b.

Anura

I have had it where all the carts happen at once and it was just this hilarious instant fail. Diablos sure is something else...

upandaway

Raging Diablos is nightmare fuel. Those ascents out of the ground are the worst.

As long as you wound his head and capture him, it's about a 15% chance of getting at least one - which isn't too bad. Get the tail off and your odds jump to about 25%. At that rate you'll have one in no time.
You forgot the desire sensor multiplier, you need to multiply the percentage by 0.1

25% becomes 2.5% which sounds about right

ohlawd

Diablos, I knew you weren't gonna let me down. You were holding out on me for a bit but thanks for the two hardhorns.

I have had it where all the carts happen at once and it was just this hilarious instant fail. Diablos sure is something else...
this almost happened earlier.

Started the quest but had to switch to off TV play so I stayed in an another area to mess with the options and get my earphones and stuff. Every single one of them carted. 10 second intervals. Quest didn't even last 40 seconds.

No one said anything afterward.

Prototype

Is it worth getting quick sheathe on a GS set? I just need 1 hardhorn to get the ugly-ass diablos helm to finish my +1sharp/critdraw/focus/quicksheathe

Generally speaking Quick Sheathe will save you more time then Focus. Combining both of them is really great for speed demon sets.

In particular for GS, Quick Sheathe is very handy, as it works well with Crit Draw. Being able to sheathe faster allows you to unleash another draw attack that much quicker.

Korten

Banned
Hey guys! I maybe getting Monster Hunter 3 for the 3DS in the coming weeks, I was just wondering, is there anyway to play online? Or no?

Cause my friend has it, but he lives 40+ minutes away.

tuffy

yo these long fragments...

this sux. Reset reset reset deliver deliver deliver.
Spent half my high rank days sending out my fleets for those things - and that was before I figured out about taking Kelbi horns to the Prescription Pick-Up quest.

I just had to have all the pieces for Artian X before hitting G rank because of that Bonus Shot skill.

Insaniac

omg I got all 3. I thought I'd be here longer. BTW this set is ug to the ly. This Diablos Helm looks terrible!

Seriously. I was seriously keeping my GS armor set at +1 Sharpness, Crit Draw and Focus ONLY so that I could avoid using Diablo Helm and / or Rheno parts (female armor) SO UGLY

ohlawd

Seriously. I was seriously keeping my GS armor set at +1 Sharpness, Crit Draw and Focus ONLY so that I could avoid using Diablo Helm and / or Rheno parts (female armor) SO UGLY
I think the other set with the Rheno parts and Quick Sheath looks good. The arms kinda go well with the parts above the waist. Well, better than the first set.

Almost done making the final Brach GS. srsly tho these GS sets are so cool. The first set with Awaken and now this second one with Quick Sheathe for the other large monsters that isn't Dios.

ohlawd

hahah oh wow killed 16 Lucent Nargy today. No Moonshards. Then as if someone flipped the RNG switch, I get one each from 17th and 18th.

I keep making these full sets I never use :(

well uh gonna go for full Nether now. I've always been curious why some Abyss rooms have "glitch" as the comment so I watched a vid. wtf this is cheap lol.

tuffy

well uh gonna go for full Nether now. I've always been curious why some Abyss rooms have "glitch" as the comment so I watched a vid. wtf this is cheap lol.
Wall glitching is such a wretched tactic. If you really want to down Abyssal Lagiacrus quickly, find a room full of Willuminator people and dragon shot it to death in a few minutes. If not, any competent team should be able to bring it down in a reasonable time without the cheese. Bonus points if you're able to land a Dragonator hit.

Anura

Wall glitching is such a wretched tactic. If you really want to down Abyssal Lagiacrus quickly, find a room full of Willuminator people and dragon shot it to death in a few minutes. If not, any competent team should be able to bring it down in a reasonable time without the cheese. Bonus points if you're able to land a Dragonator hit.

Ugh tell me about it! Even groups that don't have "glitch" in the title ask for glitching... a pain to farm A. Lagi because of it. Kinda just have to go with the flow if they want to glitch though, no point in making a scene.

tuffy

Ugh tell me about it! Even groups that don't have "glitch" in the title ask for glitching... a pain to farm A. Lagi because of it. Kinda just have to go with the flow if they want to glitch though, no point in making a scene.
I hunt around for rooms labeled something like "no glitch" or "Willuminator" - or check that the host is using some blademaster-type weapon. That often does the trick.
No clue what glitch that is, but isn't it weird that they didn't patch that? Seems like something to patch.
Considering 3DS people might be playing alongside Wii U people in local multiplayer, I can understand why it'd be tricky to patch. I've seen people try the wall glitch and still get carted if Abyssal Lagi launches a thunder ball through the window or comes around the other side, so it's no guaranteed win even then.

ohlawd

aww crap full Nether needs a Cloudy Moonshard. I'll just mix it and slap some Torso Up Legs on there. Don't got any Edgemaster charms :(

Now I just need a Dark Dragongem for the waist and I'm done. Gemming out the CE -1 leaves me 5 slots including one from my charm. Speed Sharpen, gogogo.

Anura

aww crap full Nether needs a Cloudy Moonshard. I'll just mix it and slap some Torso Up Legs on there. Don't got any Edgemaster charms :(

Now I just need a Dark Dragongem for the waist and I'm done. Gemming out the CE -1 leaves me 5 slots including one from my charm. Speed Sharpen, gogogo.

How is your evade charm? With a good one you can get evade+1, Edgemaster, speed sharp, Stamina recovery. I think you need green Narga helm, Uragaan boots andf the rest is nether.

ohlawd

How is your evade charm? With a good one you can get evade+1, Edgemaster, speed sharp, Stamina recovery. I think you need green Narga helm, Uragaan boots andf the rest is nether.
I have the exact same skills on mine.

The Narga part is lenient that I can go for the Helm which has +4 Evade or Cap which has +5. I went with the Helm because it had better defense and I had a +6 Evade charm with one slot.

Nether Waist is so long that you can't see my booty shorts Alloy Greaves :(

The set is pretty smexy but I haven't had a chance to use it much.

Hello there MH3U community thread! I figured I'd post here, since this game has been occupying whatever free time I happen to muster. Please excuse my etiquette, as I've never posted in an OT before, at least, I don't remember doing so, so I'm not sure what's the best way to go about conversation here. I'll just figure talking about the game is pretty much a given, haha!

On that note, I was wondering if there might be any recommendations for G-Rank armors that would be good against Alatreon, specifically the High Rank version. I've struggled with the Moga Village quest, and while I'm pretty certain I have its patterns understood, the thing still hits like a truck, and I keep trying to kill it while also breaking as many parts as possible. Unfortunately, it seems I can't really get through the battle without failing halfway through. I normally use Long Sword, but I'm willing to use any weapon if it will mean a better way of dealing with this thing. I've been considering using Brachydios armor and weapons for raw damage, since Alatreon is an elemental wizard it seems, but I'm also willing to consider anything else really. It's not like I'm in any rush to complete, I was just curious what might be a good set of skills to use, and possibly good strategies.

tuffy

Hammers are a popular choice against Alatreon because he often sticks his head close to the ground often which makes it a good target for pounding. Here's a solo run with the Brachy hammer to give you an idea on how that might work. Hammers have mobility comparable to long swords, so it might not be a huge adjustment.

And don't forget to use the ballista binder which is the one near the wall. Hit Alatreon while in the air and you'll bring him down for some easy hits. It recharges automatically every few minutes so you've got nothing to lose.

Aiustis

Been working on my Gigginox armor to go with my sword and shield.

Are there any better armor options?

I have one of every type of sns, but my ice one is still pretty low, been farming for durum tailcases with very little luck.

Hey, thanks for the videos and tips! I'm extremely impressed by the hammer user, I'm still not the best at timing attacks in anticipation. Then again, it might also be because he went without the Shakas that he could read Alatreon perfectly. I relate more to the great sword user, as I'm very much doing hit and run tactics. I think I might have to switch up my playstyle a little if I want to take him on solo, so I might try hammer a bit. I used to use it a lot more in Tri, but I've fallen out of practice I think.

Top Bottom