• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Doorman

Well that was somewhat entertaining.

I've had a switch axe I've been sitting on for a long time because it needed 5 Duram tailbones to upgrade. Grinding on high-rank Duramboros for ages with very little luck, I've been moving on with other things until gearing up for G rank. Of course...one of the pieces of armor I want for my G-level hunting horn armor requires Durambolite, only obtained through G-Duram and Rusty. Which means I've been grinding Durams on two separate ranks. Joy.

I guess the desire sensor finally took pity on me, because after copious HR-Duram grinding, I suddenly got the last three tailbones I needed within two quests. By this time I'd already gathered enough other G-rank materials that I was able to upgrade the axe three times in a row, and suddenly it's one of the strongest weapons in my whole arsenal. Unfortunately...to finish off its final upgrade I need, of course, a second Durambolite. I'm never going to be done fighting this giant fat sack, am I?

XDDX

I've had a switch axe I've been sitting on for a long time because it needed 5 Duram tailbones to upgrade. Grinding on high-rank Duramboros for ages with very little luck, I've been moving on with other things until gearing up for G rank. Of course...one of the pieces of armor I want for my G-level hunting horn armor requires Durambolite, only obtained through G-Duram and Rusty. Which means I've been grinding Durams on two separate ranks. Joy.

I guess the desire sensor finally took pity on me, because after copious HR-Duram grinding, I suddenly got the last three tailbones I needed within two quests. By this time I'd already gathered enough other G-rank materials that I was able to upgrade the axe three times in a row, and suddenly it's one of the strongest weapons in my whole arsenal. Unfortunately...to finish off its final upgrade I need, of course, a second Durambolite. I'm never going to be done fighting this giant fat sack, am I?
That's MH for you!

If you have the Wii U version I'm sure a few of us here can help you out online.

Anura

What I like to do when I need to a part is find some other parts I need aswell. So instead of fighting the same monster over and over again I can mix things up a bit and still feel like I am doing something. This is nice for Duramboros because he is especially exhausting if I am not fighting other things due to his huge HP pool...

ohlawd

k, finished TF so logic dictate I follow up with Danganronpa

but nope, forget logic so I'll be playin' MH. Gonna farm Gold Rathian for her armor.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Lttp and all yes I know, and yes this is all n00b gear.

So I'm currently rocking a full barroth set. I also have beaten the Lagiacrus both offline solo as well as online. I was wondering if it would be worth trying to get the full Lagiacrus armor set?

Should I spend the time or just go for something else?

Anura

Lttp and all yes I know, and yes this is all n00b gear.

So I'm currently rocking a full barroth set. I also have beaten the Lagiacrus both offline solo as well as online. I was wondering if it would be worth trying to get the full Lagiacrus armor set?

Should I spend the time or just go for something else?

Usually not worth it if a set requires a rare part (in this case Lagi plate) as it will be outclassed soon by high rank and all that farming will be essentially wasted. There are usually other very good sets to choose from that don't require rare parts like for example the low rank jaggi and barroth or the high rank volvidon set

Rare part farming should really only be done for armor in G rank and shouldn't really be done at all before then in anything other than a weapon upgrade. Only a select few weapons won't be upgradable to a G rank counterpart and none if those require rare parts anyways. Most weapons hold their value very well unlike armors which will ultimately become outclassed even with end game armor sphere upgrades.

Vanillalite

Thanks all!

Guess I'll forge on tonight with my Barroth armor then!

Kinda didn't want to farm Lag anyways as I hate water combat. LoL

GeekyDad

Thanks all!

Guess I'll forge on tonight with my Barroth armor then!

Kinda didn't want to farm Lag anyways as I hate water combat. LoL

As a contrary opinion, I think you should make whatever strikes your fancy (if you're up to the grind). For me, this game is very similar to Animal Crossing in the sense of how it just kinda keeps going and going if you want it to. If you're playing it to finish it, then whatever -- wait 'til G-rank. If you're just having fun with the game (I'm still on my Ivory Lagi urgent quest almost 300 hours in), then you shouldn't be afraid to tinker with everything in the game. Besides, the Lagi armor ain't half bad and looks cool as hell. Plus, you never know what you'll find. I've read all sort of comments (mostly on GameFAQs) about how Rath Soul and Volvidon S are all you need to get through high rank. But for me, I found the Uragaan S armors (both BM and gunner) to be my preferred armors, since I mostly use Slime weapons right now.

ohlawd

that's fine, too

iirc my armor sets from low rank to G went like this

Great Jaggi > Barroth > Lagiacrus > HR Barroth > HR Barioth > Goldbeard Ceadeus = Hallowed Jhen = random parts for mixed.

didn't follow the standard path leveling up.

tuffy

At the very least, farming a monster to make its armor will make it easier to hunt in the future since you'll know its moveset better. So the time spent on it is never really wasted.

I remember I spent time making a lot of sets that got thrown out soon after, like Qurupeco (for the Pellet Up, I guess) and Gigginox (for earplugs I didn't really need) but seeing what works and what doesn't firsthand is part of the fun.

deoee

Sooooo

what's the "best" next armor after the Jaggi one I should get as a user of mainly all types of swords, the hammer and the bow?

I'm struggling between some, but don't want to "waste time" when there's something that I absolutely must have :3

PLUS: How does the coating of the bow work? Some coatings seem to don't be compatible with my rarity 2 bow (with water dmg).
Can I only apply rarity 2 coatings on rarity 2 bows?

Thank you :)

Sooooo

what's the "best" next armor after the Jaggi one I should get as a user of mainly all types of swords, the hammer and the bow?

I'm struggling between some, but don't want to "waste time" when there's something that I absolutely must have :3

PLUS: How does the coating of the bow work? Some coatings seem to don't be compatible with my rarity 2 bow (with water dmg).

I have found the Rhenoplos armor quite nice as I am a hammer user mainly. The knockout king on that armor really goes well with the impact damage of the hammer. As for an all around armor I couldn't really say, I have branched out to LS a couple of times just to cut tails, other then that I stay hammer.

Edit: It also has Artillery Novice which helps with crag shot for gunners so that might help you out.

upandaway

Sooooo

Hmm.. aside from Rhenoplos or Bone for hammer (you'll make it in seconds), you should probably just keep running the Jaggi armor until you hit a quest you have difficulty with. There's not much that's worth the effort to make after Jaggi in 3-4 stars village.

tuffy

Sooooo

Volvidon is a safe recommendation that's available once you hit the 5 star Village quests. Blademaster types get Evasion +1, Tremor Resistance, Attack Up (S) and a negative Cold Surge skill (which does nothing if you use hot drinks). The gunner set replaces Tremor Resistance with Normal/Rapid Up.

It's not much to look at, but is pretty easy to make.

Each bow is compatible with certain coatings, just like each light/heavy bowgun can only load certain ammo.

The list of compatible coatings is shown in the information window when you look at your bow in the blue box or the Equipment menu. Press D-pad left/right to browse through the different information pages. Additionally, you can view all bows coatings and filter bows by equippable coatings using the MH3G Dex app for Windows.

1393268422-mh3u-equippable-coatings.jpg

BACcaWY.png

There are armor skills that can make a bow compatible with a certain coating when it can't use it naturally, but most of the time it's a waste of skill points, except maybe “Use Power Coat” (10 points in “Power C+”) if your bow cannot load naturally Power coatings.

Insaniac

Sooooo

Ludroth Armor is good if you want some Earplugs to prevent monster roaring. It also has Marathon runner which is a huge boon for dual swords, and pretty good for hammer/bow

tuffy

forget it, ima bank on that 10% carve for broken skypiercers.
Skypiercers aren't too terrible if you can find a room full of hammer guys and someone(s) applying lots of paralysis/sleep. Plus, you get them at high rank which is slightly less awful.

What'll really drive you mad is finding Azure Drgnsphires. For those you might want to try tail-only runs. That means one guy up front applying paralysis and KO while everyone else works on Alatreon's tail. The tail pops off in about a minute and everyone gets a couple of carves. If you don't get a Drgnsphire, abandon the quest. If you do, just get eaten by Alatreon and fail the quest (but keep the carves).

Insaniac

Skypiercers aren't too terrible if you can find a room full of hammer guys and someone(s) applying lots of paralysis/sleep. Plus, you get them at high rank which is slightly less awful.

What'll really drive you mad is finding Azure Drgnsphires. For those you might want to try tail-only runs. That means one guy up front applying paralysis and KO while everyone else works on Alatreon's tail. The tail pops off in about a minute and everyone gets a couple of carves. If you don't get a Drgnsphire, abandon the quest. If you do, just get eaten by Alatreon and fail the quest (but keep the carves).

unless you're really pressed for time, might as well just fail even if you don't get the sphire from the tail. I think the stuff you carve from it would more than make up for the quest fee, plus its bonus ala stuff anyways.

edit: ehh I guess it varies, cause if you used a lot of items to get that tail off it might be better to abandon and not waste mats and time resupplying

ohlawd

if I'm looking at this Lance mat chart, I don't even need Skypiercers.

I need the brkn ones for the base, some random crap for the 2nd, and Skyswayers for the 3rd. So yeah, I'll just stick it out until then. If I can get into a room that's prepared for horn breaking, then that's cool. If not, I'll carve.

Vanillalite

Yay still n00bish but I got Brother Flames tonight as a wep upgrade.

Almost finished with HR2 online as well!

I am worried I am still rolling with Barroth gear though. :-

tuffy

Evade Distance up, right? Seems like a perfect fit for HBG. And what's that graphic that appears occasionally when you're ADS. It's like a yellow square with hieroglyphics on it. Is that the hitbox?
Yep. That's Evade Extender. I've added it to pretty much all my HBG sets.

And that yellow box must be the shield from the Ultimate Mask Cha-Cha is wearing. The mask makes him invincible to monster attacks (which is sometimes helpful when he comes between me and a fireball) and keeps him out there attracting hits longer. But occasionally he'll go into rage mode and start taking swings which uses up all his health and takes him out action for a short while until he recovers.

upandaway

What are some good HBGs I might be able to make?

I plan on going online in a bit to play so I'll check if there's a good set I can make right now to practice on

tuffy

I plan on going online in a bit to play so I'll check if there's a good set I can make right now to practice on
The Rathian line (starting with the Queen's Longfire/Scionfire) is good for normal shots and is easily made.

The Jhen line (starting with the Jhen Cannon) is another good choice for normal/pierce, but it's helpful to bring down its big recoil.

For heavy-duty pierce shot, the Nargacuga line (starting with the Hidden Gambit/Virnar Heavy Rifle) is ideal because it has a huge affinity and its base recoil is low to begin with.

upandaway

For now I made this quickie (just my luck, I need 1 more Rathian carapace after I sold those to make room ugh!!)

dsiKMED.jpg

I guess it's applicable enough for a quickly scraped set, whatever.

I'll have to buy bullets en mass but going online now.

edit: it's.. not letting me make a room in lobby 9. huh. made one in 8

Anura

I want to add the Ala HBG to Tuffy's previous suggestions. There isn't a better HBG for all purpose element and is only outclassed by the Dire Miralis for specific element HBGs.
However you might want to keep the siege on or have load up because the clips are fairly tiny.

upandaway

Man the internet is really not playing nice today. Got dc'd and now it doesn't let me create towns anywhere.

Guess I'll try again later (.....or right now, suddenly it's ok)

Insaniac

Made a super basic GS Set with Blade of Tartarus, Sharp+1, Focus and Crit Draw, but damn is it entertaining to smack a monster with a level 3 charge and flinch it all the time.

upandaway

Man I'm spent. That was really fun. Went up a lot of HR too, almost at the HR90 quest.

Finally got all the lashes I needed for the LI/DR dual swords fully upgraded, and it's amazing.

Top Bottom