• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

JoV

Played this a bit on release but put it down again soon after.

Picked it up again yesterday and put about a solid 8 hours into it. I never play games for that long in one sitting. But this just got its hooks into me.

Have killed the Gobul and am now going back to complete earlier armor sets. Just having an amazing amount of fun with it.

Aiustis

was searching for lobbies randomly and I found this. Too bad it's full.

I'm having no luck finding people willing to help me break G rank Ala's wings.

noooooo...so I'mk ind of drunk now but I'm Aiustis, find me I'm pretty much on mh most nights.

Using Athena I've created a Sharpness +1, HG Earplugs, Evade +1, Parkbreaker set. I can't think of much better for a long sword user, but I'm open to suggestions if so.

To finish it I need two Lagia Sapphires though. Shit is ruining my day. Wiki says it's a good cap reward on an ivory, or a tail carve. But still a small chance.

Can't find any solid info on if it's a decent quest reward somewhere or something. I'd be willing to grind, since this is a solid end game set (Selene X/Z mix and matched with a Narga X Mail), and I imagine it'll last me until my friends and I stop futzing around with this game as much as we are.

tuffy

To finish it I need two Lagia Sapphires though. Shit is ruining my day. Wiki says it's a good cap reward on an ivory, or a tail carve. But still a small chance.
Capturing a high rank Ivory Lagi is about a 10% chance of getting at least one (~13% if you get the tail off) and there's a convenient Village quest which shouldn't take very long.

Capturing a couple of G rank ones in the 7 star "Ivory Indignation" quest is about a 25% chance of at least one (~31% if you get both tails off) but is liable to take more time and/or require more manpower.

Thanks. We ran the Dual G rank pair a handful of times (my friends and I) but got a grand total of nothin' for it. I'll keep giving that a go.

Thanks.

Highwind

Anyone wanna help me farm Earth Gems and other materials from Hallowed Jhen Mohran? My name is Sena.

Room Name: GafHunt
01 Free A
Lobby 7

Edit - Room full. :(

Edit 2 - Got one more space if anyone wants to hop by.

tuffy

I'll be able to swing by in a couple hours if you don't have all the parts you need by then. I've got an idea for a new anti-Jhen suit to try out with the Eclipse Gambit. I have a feeling it'll work out pretty well.

Highwind

After a couple hours I finished getting the dragongems and other stuff I needed for Mutsu Prime.

Though soon I'll set up a room for Goldbeard though as I need like 20 furs to complete some gunner armours and Helios X.

DaBoss

Excluding online only monsters, how much time do you need to fight every monsters available?
Hmm, there are online only monsters? I think everything you can fight in multi-player can be fought in single-player, but I don't have a Wii U, so I can't say much.

All Village quests probably take around 60-90 hours or something. All of the Port quests probably take 120-150 hours.

I can't really tell if the times are accurate cause they may include grinding monsters for materials.

tuffy

Excluding online only monsters, how much time do you need to fight every monsters available?
There aren't any online-only monsters per se; the whole game can be done offline if you want to. However, there is a Village area that's only for single player which is where the game starts off. That took me somewhere between 20-40 hours to get through.

Shengar

Hmm, there are online only monsters? I think everything you can fight in multi-player can be fought in single-player, but I don't have a Wii U, so I can't say much.

All Village quests probably take around 60-90 hours or something. All of the Port quests probably take 120-150 hours.

I can't really tell if the times are accurate cause they may include grinding monsters for materials.

There aren't any online-only monsters per se; the whole game can be done offline if you want to. However, there is a Village area that's only for single player which is where the game starts off. That took me somewhere between 20-40 hours to get through.

I thought there are online only monsters. So actually there none it seems.
Since MH4U will coming out next year, my goal in MH3U is "fight all monsters at least once" before I can considered the game "finished" and wait for the sequel. I'm wondering how long it will take with so many monsters there in the game.

I thought there are online only monsters. So actually there none it seems.
Since MH4U will coming out next year, my goal in MH3U is "fight all monsters at least once" before I can considered the game "finished" and wait for the sequel. I'm wondering how long it will take with so many monsters there in the game.

Well unless you're very very good there are 3 DLC quests in MH3U that are super-hard (buffed Ivory Lagiacrus, buffed Stygian Zinogre, buffed Brachydios) and you might not be able to solo them.

Shengar

Well unless you're very very good there are 3 DLC quests in MH3U that are super-hard (buffed Ivory Lagiacrus, buffed Stygian Zinogre, buffed Brachydios) and you might not be able to solo them.

Do they have extra moves that makes their fight works differently? The numbers of the subspecies make me considered only to include main species monster on my list unless they have moves that makes them fight really different.

Quadratic

I want to start trying HBG. I messed around with it in High Rank with a Queen's Scionfire. Since I'm G rank now what would you guys recommend for a good starter HBG and some armor? I'm looking at the Nibelsnarf HBG and the armor set. Is that pretty easy to farm solo or pick up groups online?

tuffy

I want to start trying HBG. I messed around with it in High Rank with a Queen's Scionfire. Since I'm G rank now what would you guys recommend for a good starter HBG and some armor? I'm looking at the Nibelsnarf HBG and the armor set. Is that pretty easy to farm solo or pick up groups online?
Nibelsnarf X is good because it has Reload Speed +2, Quick Sheath and Pierce Up which are all useful. The Rathian guns have enough slots that you might be able to fit Normal Up in it also. The trouble with Nibelsnarf is that he has a lot of HP and hides underground much of the time which can be a pain, but there's bound to be other people looking to farm him.

But depending on how far along you are, Barioth Z might be even better. That gives you Attack Up (M), Heat Resistance and Evade Extender - which can be a serious boost to mobility. Sand Barioth is easier for gunners to farm since you can blast off its wing thorns and seriously impede its mobility.

ohlawd

Do they have extra moves that makes their fight works differently? The numbers of the subspecies make me considered only to include main species monster on my list unless they have moves that makes them fight really different.
don't do that man.

most of the subspecies behave differently and have completely new or revamped attacks. They aren't just reskins.
Make it your goal to see everything the game has to offer.

upandaway

Pretty sure almost all subspecies are keys at some point (hell, a couple are urgent), so it's definitely impossible to play the game without fighting them.

Not to mention almost all weapons go from vanilla->subspecies in the upgrade path, or at least use some part of the subspecies, so not only will you have to fight the subspecies, you'd have to do it multiple times for the loot.

ohlawd

oh yeah, forgot about key quests.

definitely impossible to rank up to 8 without subspecies hunts. example would be HR 6 to 7; need a Pink Rathian, Rust Duram, Green Plesioth..

You haven't beat MH3U if you haven't beat Silver Rathalos and Gold Rathian
at the same time

ohlawd

what's so special about the Ivory Lagia event apart from the ticket? Almost all the rooms want to do that one. Thing hits like a truck, the last room I was in had everyone packing Lifepowders. It was beautiful.

tuffy

what's so special about the Ivory Lagia event apart from the ticket? Almost all the rooms want to do that one. Thing hits like a truck, the last room I was in had everyone packing Lifepowders. It was beautiful.
I think its quest reward makes a fancy Switch Axe of some sort. I've yet to finish that one in a group without everybody dying, and my solo attempts tend to run out of ammo before finishing.

upandaway

I think its quest reward makes a fancy Switch Axe of some sort. I've yet to finish that one in a group without everybody dying, and my solo attempts tend to run out of ammo before finishing.
Sounds like something we should try with a gaffer room.

You guys go ahead though I won't be playing for another week.

Anura

Gunlance actually. The Lagj isn't bad at all in a group but is a huge pain solo... Dat HP pool.

tuffy

let's totally do it. Just cap it since I need two Hardhorns. Later tonight or tomorrow?
Conveniently, the suit I'd use against him already has Partbreaker, so I could lend a lot of crag shot to the cause.
Gunlance actually. The Lagj isn't bad at all in a group but is a huge pain solo... Dat HP pool.
Ah, that's right. Ivory Lagi's attacks are usually easy to see coming, but most of the event one's attacks send me to the cart in one hit - so there's little margin for error.

Prototype

don't do that man.

most of the subspecies behave differently and have completely new or revamped attacks. They aren't just reskins.

Pretty much this.

Also, the Event versions of monsters are great. Super Ivory, Brachy and Zin are brutal and tons of fun.

Anura

Conveniently, the suit I'd use against him already has Partbreaker, so I could lend a lot of crag shot to the cause.

Ah, that's right. Ivory Lagi's attacks are usually easy to see coming, but most of the event one's attacks send me to the cart in one hit - so there's little margin for error.

Ah right, even though you mentioned ammo in your post I forgot you main guns, lol (wasn't thinking it seems... I feel so dumb). Yeah, that one shotting means you need to play safe and it will run the clock even longer.

Shengar

don't do that man.

Well that's true, even from G. Jaggi to Wroggi makes a ton of different with a simple poison breath. I guess I'll beat them all in the end except for big ass monsters and extra hard monsters that requires you to fight them online.

Insaniac

First L. Narga kill -> carve mantle

Second L. Narga kill -> Carve Moonshard.

I guess the game really wanted me to craft a Mizar's Asterizm Swax

ohlawd

I'll give it a try if you need people though I don't remember much about him.
I don't reaIly need this one in particular. Just need any G rank Ivory Lagia cap for Hardhorns. Our objective here is to finish this quest with tuffy in tow.

tuffy

I'm now on Central Daylight Time (UTC-5) and should be able to help out so long as it isn't the middle of the night or something.

Highwind

I have a room setup in:

02 Free B
Lobby 1
Name: GafHunt

Currently farming Goldbeard Ceadeus, and at the rate I am getting furs to complete both helios sets, seems I'll be here a while.

Anyone that wants to tag along is free to do so. My hunter name is Sena.

Edit - As of this edit, there are 2 spaces open.

Edit 2 - Full. :(

ohlawd

k I made a room too. Gotta see if there's any interest in doing the Ivory event. If not, we can do whatever.

Free B, Lobby 10, obvious name, pass: mh3u

I'll finally start Danganro... nah, let my backlog grow.

edit: still room as of this edit

damn uber AoE attack is a 2 hit on me.

edit2: gonna be here like 3 more hours. one spot left.

edit3: room's dead. Thanks again, everyone. Never again with the super monsters.... k nah kinda curious with Brachy.

Top Bottom