• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

JoV

So, ah, whats the deal with obtaining a strange beak from the Qurupeco? I have gotten ok at chopping tails off things like the Royal Ludroth, Barroth etc, no problem there. But for the life of me I can't seem to break the Qurupeco's beak enough to earn a strange beak.

I assume using a long sword is fine (its the only weapon I am really any good with), or should I switch to a hammer or something? Using pitfall traps to hold him whilst I smash his face in doesn't seem to be working for me either...

Ken

So, ah, whats the deal with obtaining a strange beak from the Qurupeco? I have gotten ok at chopping tails off things like the Royal Ludroth, Barroth etc, no problem there. But for the life of me I can't seem to break the Qurupeco's beak enough to earn a strange beak.

I assume using a long sword is fine (its the only weapon I am really any good with), or should I switch to a hammer or something? Using pitfall traps to hold him whilst I smash his face in doesn't seem to be working for me either...

impact weapons so a hammer would work yeah

longsword is mostly cut damage so it might take awhile if it'll even break at all

Insaniac

Ok, cheers. 'Bout time I tried getting better with something else.

all wep types will break quru pecos beak you just have to make sure you're hitting it. Some are better than others at hitting up that high. Best thing to do is to take advantage of traps and when quru falls over to wail on his beak as much as possible

upandaway

I'd recommend a hammer too because combining Qurupeco's telegraphed attacks and the Hammer's superpound to the head is a great way to learn the grips of the gameplay. I'd even tell you to not use any attack besides the superpound until the head's broken (and try to only attack the head).

Pila

HR50 and I never tried the greatsword (lol I know, it doesn't make any sense). Any tip for a newbie? I don't know what to forge... you veterans could suggest me a good armour for this weapon? I like to wear full armours, fashion hunter I guess. ^^

tuffy

HR50 and I never tried the greatsword (lol I know, it doesn't make any sense). Any tip for a newbie? I don't know what to forge... you veterans could suggest me a good armour for this weapon? I like to wear full armours, fashion hunter I guess. ^^
Though I may be one of the least qualified to talk about greatswords, Diablos X looks like a good bet since it has Critical Draw, Quick Sheath, Tremor Resistance and 4 points of Handicraft. It's perfect for chasing down monsters, smacking them with big unsheath attacks and then sheathing again to chase them down some more.

ohlawd

At least do S.Zin, he's the most fun one :p

we did Styggy after Ivory. No 'mo pls.

GS is all about dat hit and run. Go up to the monster, hit it with a charged attack if you have time, simple slash if no time. I don't like the follow up horizontal slah since it's slow so I use the slap after the initial slash instead but I think it does less damage. Unsheath and wait for the next opening. Hitting a lvl 3 charge and making the monster stagger or breaking parts feels so good. SO GOOD. Horizontal slash is a large sweep so be mindful of your teammates. Overhead slash is some real bs and its slow but it has reach. It upswings so yeah.

Diablos X is pretty good but have fun grinding the Hardhorns. Crit Draw is a must since your first hit is important. AuL, Focus, Sharpness+1, Quick Sheath are all nice skills to have. Unfortunately the good sets are mixed so you'll be missing out on skills if you want to go full. To reiterate a previous statement, mixed GS sets are probably the ugliest armor put together in MH.

Pila

Though I may be one of the least qualified to talk about greatswords, Diablos X looks like a good bet since it has Critical Draw, Quick Sheath, Tremor Resistance and 4 points of Handicraft. It's perfect for chasing down monsters, smacking them with big unsheath attacks and then sheathing again to chase them down some more.
Good, I guess I already have some stuff. Thanks fellow hunter. :)

GS is all about dat hit and run. Go up to the monster, hit it with a charged attack if you have time, simple slash if no time. I don't like the follow up horizontal slah since it's slow so I use the slap after the initial slash instead but I think it does less damage. Unsheath and wait for the next opening. Hitting a lvl 3 charge and making the monster stagger or breaking parts feels so good. SO GOOD. Horizontal slash is a large sweep so be mindful of your teammates. Overhead slash is some real bs and its slow but it has reach. It upswings so yeah.

Diablos X is pretty good but have fun grinding the Hardhorns. Crit Draw is a must since your first hit is important. AuL, Focus, Sharpness+1, Quick Sheath are all nice skills to have. Unfortunately the good sets are mixed so you'll be missing out on skills if you want to go full. To reiterate a previous statement, mixed GS sets are probably the ugliest armor put together in MH.
Thank you, handy tips are always welcome, 3u is my first mohun. I know mixed armours are often better for skills but I really can't stand them. Thanks again, great advices.

tuffy

Since I want to try bowgunning and maybe bow in the future has anyone bought the myfairhunter gunner guide? I wanted to know if it's a good guide that's basically not a retread on gamefaqs stuff.
I'm tempted to splurge on them to see how useful they might be. I may be able to offer a useful critique of the bowgun ones, at least.

I started out using mazereon's GameFAQs guide and YouTube video, which packs a lot of info about shots, useful armor skills, differences in bowgun capabilities, and strategies to use against a lot of different monsters. It served me well for a long time.

Insaniac

Man, with the Narga Switchaxe, its so nice to not have to worry about building a Sharpness+1 set. Gives you so much more flexibility with armor skills. My Azure Rath set with narga swax is now my all purpose set. Gemming HG earplugs with negate paralysis made baleful giggi a joke

Anura

I'm tempted to splurge on them to see how useful they might be. I may be able to offer a useful critique of the bowgun ones, at least.

I started out using mazereon's GameFAQs guide and YouTube video, which packs a lot of info about shots, useful armor skills, differences in bowgun capabilities, and strategies to use against a lot of different monsters. It served me well for a long time.

Going to second the Mazereon guides suggestion. There isn't a better guide when starting out gunning.

Prototype

@Pila

You want to maximize your amount of charged hits to regular hits. GS great potential lies in it's huge burst damage. Hit and run style is a good way to get yourself used to monster patterns, but eventually you need to be anticipating where the monster will be and have a charge ready. It can take a while to master but, working on minimizing your regular attacks and trying to get as many Charge attacks as possible is the best best.

Your best combo is going to be unsheathe lvl 3 charge, side slap, lvl3 charge, repeat. This is because it's the quickest to getting to the next charge as side slap takes less time then the horizontal swing.

On armors/skills, I agree with you, I think most mixed sets look horribly ugly, and you will be fine wearing mostly any armor. I still do have a few mixed sets because they look ok, but some armors I will never wear... lol. In G Rank I'd recommend Helios Z, don't listen to the haters, it's great set, Sharpness+1 and HGearplugs and you can easily gem in any other skill you want. Other G rank sets are Diablos, but I don't like how it looks. I've been using Lagi X and Nether a lot as I like how those sets look and can gem them up nicely.

Mostly you want to be looking for (in no order) Sharpness+1, Crit Draw, Quick Sheathe, Focus, HG/earplugs, Attack Up __, but other skills are also handy such as bombardier or trapmaster as GS has their weapon put away so often, it's not hard to naturally work items into the hunt.

Hope you have fun with GS, it's by far my favorite weapon for the last few games.

Insaniac

Good, I guess I already have some stuff. Thanks fellow hunter. :)

Thank you, handy tips are always welcome, 3u is my first mohun. I know mixed armours are often better for skills but I really can't stand them. Thanks again, great advices.

if you can get a set with focus, sharpness+1 and critdraw, thats already sufficient to deal great damage with the GS. Get the timing of the third charge down pat. I can do it with my eyes closed based on how long I hold the button down. GS is all about hit and run, which even though its a melee weapon you tend to take not as much damage because you will only be close when you know you can get off the full charge. Also the GS flinches monsters all the time which lets you get in multiple charges often. Its quickly becoming a favorite weapon of mine.

Pila

@Pila

You want to maximize your amount of charged hits to regular hits. GS great potential lies in it's huge burst damage. Hit and run style is a good way to get yourself used to monster patterns, but eventually you need to be anticipating where the monster will be and have a charge ready. It can take a while to master but, working on minimizing your regular attacks and trying to get as many Charge attacks as possible is the best best.

Your best combo is going to be unsheathe lvl 3 charge, side slap, lvl3 charge, repeat. This is because it's the quickest to getting to the next charge as side slap takes less time then the horizontal swing.

On armors/skills, I agree with you, I think most mixed sets look horribly ugly, and you will be fine wearing mostly any armor. I still do have a few mixed sets because they look ok, but some armors I will never wear... lol. In G Rank I'd recommend Helios Z, don't listen to the haters, it's great set, Sharpness+1 and HGearplugs and you can easily gem in any other skill you want. Other G rank sets are Diablos, but I don't like how it looks. I've been using Lagi X and Nether a lot as I like how those sets look and can gem them up nicely.

Mostly you want to be looking for (in no order) Sharpness+1, Crit Draw, Quick Sheathe, Focus, HG/earplugs, Attack Up __, but other skills are also handy such as bombardier or trapmaster as GS has their weapon put away so often, it's not hard to naturally work items into the hunt.

Hope you have fun with GS, it's by far my favorite weapon for the last few games.
Thanks man, after 250/300 hours I can usually anticipate where the monster is ending its move, I think this weapon is gonna be fun. Glad to hear I'm not alone in my full armour obsession, farmed some Diablos and I got the hardhorn! Too bad you need two for the armour. :(

if you can get a set with focus, sharpness+1 and critdraw, thats already sufficient to deal great damage with the GS. Get the timing of the third charge down pat. I can do it with my eyes closed based on how long I hold the button down. GS is all about hit and run, which even though its a melee weapon you tend to take not as much damage because you will only be close when you know you can get off the full charge. Also the GS flinches monsters all the time which lets you get in multiple charges often. Its quickly becoming a favorite weapon of mine.
Yeah, I want to learn a heavy weapon with a dramatic impact :) I usually play LS and DB, need some fresh air.

Great community here, thanks again for your highly appreciated tips.

Prototype

@Pila

the advance quest "Plain Dangerous" is where I got all my hardhorns. I ended up getting more then I needed. I literally NEVER got a single one to drop from in any of the other G rank quests.

and ya, on armors, some of the full G rank sets just look so good. Best advice I ever got when i first started playing MH was this:

your skills > your armor skills

I took that advice to heart and never looked back.

;) Happy hunting man! My NNID is ZenTea, it would be cool to hunt with you sometime, but I'm going to be playing Dark Souls 2 for at least the next week or 2 lol.

ohlawd

sorry guys but I'll be taking my leave too.

Atelier Escha's out and with Yumi's Odd Odyssey and FFX-2 'round the corner I ain't gonna be on for 3-4 weeks >_>

Pila

@Pila

the advance quest "Plain Dangerous" is where I got all my hardhorns. I ended up getting more then I needed. I literally NEVER got a single one to drop from in any of the other G rank quests.

and ya, on armors, some of the full G rank sets just look so good. Best advice I ever got when i first started playing MH was this:

your skills > your armor skills

I took that advice to heart and never looked back.

;) Happy hunting man! My NNID is ZenTea, it would be cool to hunt with you sometime, but I'm going to be playing Dark Souls 2 for at least the next week or 2 lol.
Man, you're right, that quest is magic.

Yesterday we killed a bunch of Diablos, we were doing the three Diablos quest and that other quest with two blackies. No luck. Great room, fast captures but no luck.

When the host was done I tried another room, they were doing "Plain Dangerous", hardhorn at the very first try.

I'm adding your NNiD tonight, mine is Piiila (three "i"). Enjoy DS2 and take your time with it, I usually play with randoms anyway, my ISP is shit and sometimes I disconnect.

I still have to play Dark Souls (the first one), hunting these monsters takes too much time. ^^

ohlawd

hahah I'd join if we can break wings too but that ain't gonna happen.

it kills me that I've entered three Ala rooms that did break its wings but end up failing because of deaths.

tuffy

I'll be able to contribute to some Alatreon hunting in a few hours if need be.

His wings take such little shot damage that I feel guilty about targeting them over the head or tail, but I'm willing to give it my best shot.

ohlawd

what's the average time for G rank Alatreon with a competent team anyway

I've had some rooms take 20, some take 40. The ones that take 40 minutes... gawd when it hits the 30 min mark, I feel like leaving but who knows maybe it'll die the next minute so I stay. Repeat for 10 mins until it finally dies.

I've had some rooms take 20, some take 40. The ones that take 40 minutes... gawd when it hits the 30 min mark, I feel like leaving but who knows maybe it'll die the next minute so I stay. Repeat for 10 mins until it finally dies.

Summed up my thoughts exactly. 15 minutes is usually how long it takes if everyone has somewhat optimized gear.

tuffy

An experienced team of 4 hunters on a roll seems to be in the 15-20 minute range. He's obviously a bit intimidating at first and there's a learning curve to his moves, but I'd head for the exit if a room full of folks takes ages to finish him off (or triple carts) over and over again.

upandaway

I distinctly remember seeing runs of Alatreon on Youtube that took like 50 seconds for HR and what was it, less than a minute and a half for G rank? Made me feel really silly.

tuffy

I distinctly remember seeing runs of Alatreon on Youtube that took like 50 seconds for HR and what was it, less than a minute and a half for G rank? Made me feel really silly.
Must be one of the God's Isle runs. Even a more conventional hunt with one person inflicting status can go much smoother and faster if other hunters can keep supplying status ammo/combines to keep the sleep/paralysis coming.

Picked this up again after a year. I only played till HR5. Went to HR6 and carved Deep and Dark gems from Goldbeard with 16mins left to spare.

It's weird. I definitely had time issues with the village one, but there was way more room here and I was even using a purely defensive set.

Quadratic

Soloed my first Goldbeard Ceadeus. Took like 40 minutes and broke both horns. I gunned it but man does he hit like a truck. I'm used to blademaster def. Farming him is going to be a chore unless I cut this time in half and not need to farcaster several times.

tuffy

Soloed my first Goldbeard Ceadeus. Took like 40 minutes and broke both horns. I gunned it but man does he hit like a truck. I'm used to blademaster def. Farming him is going to be a chore unless I cut this time in half and not need to farcaster several times.
Here's how I've tackled him using a Nargacuga HBG and a full suit of Gobul X. It's a pretty sloppy run, but my strategies are to put a lot of pierce shot down his face (or up his tail), and try to dodge his head flails and side-to-side water beams by swimming down. I'm sure you'll be able to finish him off a lot faster with a little more practice.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Still a n00b, but got a lot done tonight,

I upgraded from Barroth armor to Rathalos Armor while also basically doing all of HR3 and hitting HR4! :-D

Anura

Don't give up though! His set is just so good and you won't see a better one till like HR8+.

GeekyDad

Here's how I've tackled him using a Nargacuga HBG and a full suit of Gobul X. It's a pretty sloppy run, but my strategies are to put a lot of pierce shot down his face (or up his tail), and try to dodge his head flails and side-to-side water beams by swimming down. I'm sure you'll be able to finish him off a lot faster with a little more practice.

Looks pretty darn effective to me. Thanks for the vid.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
uKVx4pn.png

This is my favorite and the most accurate monster hunter related comic.

Lizardus

I didn't ever realize that Teostra is in MH4 until I saw an SnS solo. Should be fun. Can't wait till 2015.

Currently save-scumming for long fragments in MH3U so I can make a set with HG Earplugs, Sharpness+1, Evasion+1 and Awaken for the Jho Switch Axe.

Anura

I didn't ever realize that Teostra is in MH4 until I saw an SnS solo. Should be fun. Can't wait till 2015.

Currently save-scumming for long fragments in MH3U so I can make a set with HG Earplugs, Sharpness+1, Evasion+1 and Awaken for the Jho Switch Axe.

Yeah and he has some interesting new tricks! ... Although he still has those damn instant charges.

Hey gaf!

Just recently got this game for the 3DS ... LOVE IT! And I just looked at some vids of MH4 ... LOVE THAT TO! :p

Anyway, can some kind members answer some questions I have? First off, I really like the hammer so far (Decided to not even try the duel blade until I have learned to love a slow weapon cause 1 of the 2 friends I'm playing with uses duel blades already and she's not gonna change. I want to bring something different to the team) but from what I read it can't break/ cut off tails. Can someone tell me what exactly the hammer is good for or better at than the GS or Long Sword and what kinds of monsters a hammer is better for?

Also, I'm eyeing the Axe as my 2nd main (still not sure which ranged weapon to take on). What is that good for that the Hammer or GS/ Long Sword can't do?

OmegaZero

Okay, Lucent Nargacuga is really frustrating as a GS user. The invisible movement is fine, but the poison barbs just slay me. They happen to cover angles that I usually stand in to start charging so now I rarely get level threes on it unless it roars or I manage to sonic bomb it.

Currently using a Cera Cymmetry and Helios ZZZXZ gemmed for Focus. Other notable GSs I have are the Auberon, Blue Wing, Neo Lagia Blade, and Brimstren Drakepride.

I've beaten it once out of four tries, with no healing items or herbal medicines left on my last life. Should I just try a new weapon class? If so, what are your recommendations?
I've heard good things about the awakened Great Kelbi Deershot...

Okay, Lucent Nargacuga is really frustrating as a GS user. The invisible movement is fine, but the poison barbs just slay me. They happen to cover angles that I usually stand in to start charging so now I rarely get level threes on it unless it roars or I manage to sonic bomb it.

Currently using a Cera Cymmetry and Helios ZZZXZ gemmed for Focus. Other notable GSs I have are the Auberon, Blue Wing, Neo Lagia Blade, and Brimstren Drakepride.

I've beaten it once out of four tries, with no healing items or herbal medicines left on my last life. Should I just try a new weapon class? If so, what are your recommendations?
I've heard good things about the awakened Great Kelbi Deershot...

Slime Gunlance or Kelbi Bow (any gunner weapon really) are effective against L.Narga.

Anura

Hey gaf!

Just recently got this game for the 3DS ... LOVE IT! And I just looked at some vids of MH4 ... LOVE THAT TO! :p

Anyway, can some kind members answer some questions I have? First off, I really like the hammer so far (Decided to not even try the duel blade until I have learned to love a slow weapon cause 1 of the 2 friends I'm playing with uses duel blades already and she's not gonna change. I want to bring something different to the team) but from what I read it can't break/ cut off tails. Can someone tell me what exactly the hammer is good for or better at than the GS or Long Sword and what kinds of monsters a hammer is better for?

Also, I'm eyeing the Axe as my 2nd main (still not sure which ranged weapon to take on). What is that good for that the Hammer or GS/ Long Sword can't do?

Hammer is amazing for monster with soft large heads which happens to be most of them. Actually any monster where the head isn't super hard, even if some monsters later in the game like Zinorge and Brachy might prove difficult for inexperienced hammer users. Hammer (and HH too) will KO a monster if you can hit the head enough giving you and your allies a few seconds of free hits.

Learning to use the various charges is key to any hammer user. Pressing the R button will start the charge and releasing will unleash the attack. There are 3 forms of charging but when you first start it is best to focus on the super pound (last charge level and release without moving the control stick) and then start learning your way down the charge levels from there and getting a feel for all of them. Btw once KOed your best option is to triple pound (the combo done by pressing X 3 times).

Top Bottom