• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Anura

My only issue with slime weapons are getting Brachy gems. I have four palliums, but not even one gem. :(

I am the same way with lagi sapphire... sometimes this RNG hates you and other times it loves you. Your other options for melee slime would be things like the awakened black blos lance or Grongigas and one is a hammer while the other requires the much reviled hardhorn AND a good awaken set.

OmegaZero

Hrm, I haven't actually tried using a Hammer yet, but I imagine they're similar to GS. Focusing on using Charge attacks at the right time on the right place. Maybe I'll try it out if the whole Kelbi bow thing doesn't work out.

Speaking of which: I just finished making a Great Kelbi Deershot (had most of the materials needed to upgrade from the Stingshot) and man, this thing is weird. It shoots little spike balls instead of arrows, and looks more like a slingshot than a bow...

Anyway, next I need a good gunner armor and skill set. I'm currently going for Helios X, but Goldbeard Caedeus is being stingy with giving out Caedeus Tails. :(
Anyone got any particular skills that are essential/awesome for the Kelbi bow? I'm assuming Bombardier and maybe Evasion+1 or Focus.

EDIT: Also, any tips on using the Kelbi bow/bows in general? I'm reading "just spam uncharged attacks" on GameFAQs but that sounds way too easy to be a MH strategy.

upandaway

Hrm, I haven't actually tried using a Hammer yet, but I imagine they're similar to GS. Focusing on using Charge attacks at the right time on the right place. Maybe I'll try it out if the whole Kelbi bow thing doesn't work out.
The hammer and GS are pretty different. The GS charge is forever the end-goal while the hammer charge is the connecting link of all of the hammer's other combos. Of course you can superpound all day but the DPS isn't there for that.

Hammer is amazing for monster with soft large heads which happens to be most of them. Actually any monster where the head isn't super hard, even if some monsters later in the game like Zinorge and Brachy might prove difficult for inexperienced hammer users. Hammer (and HH too) will KO a monster if you can hit the head enough giving you and your allies a few seconds of free hits.

Learning to use the various charges is key to any hammer user. Pressing the R button will start the charge and releasing will unleash the attack. There are 3 forms of charging but when you first start it is best to focus on the super pound (last charge level and release without moving the control stick) and then start learning your way down the charge levels from there and getting a feel for all of them. Btw once KOed your best option is to triple pound (the combo done by pressing X 3 times).

Thanks for the info! Practicing on the Giant Jaggi as I try to get it's king frill from the capture quest ... I real suck at capturing :/

I either wait too long and kill him or I waste the one trap the quest gives before it's completely tired.

Any tips for the Axe?

tuffy

Thanks for the info! Practicing on the Giant Jaggi as I try to get it's king frill from the capture quest ... I real suck at capturing :/

I either wait too long and kill him or I waste the one trap the quest gives before it's completely tired.
Just because the monster is tired doesn't necessarily mean it's capturable. Imagine that it has 2 invisible gauges, one for health and one for stamina. When the stamina one runs down after fighting for awhile, it gets tired. That means it'll often stand around and drool, make some mostly ineffective attacks, or try to find something to eat.

The health gauge goes down when the hunter hits it with attacks. When almost empty, the monster will limp away from the room instead of walking normally (you'll be able to spot the difference with practice) and will often try to find some place to sleep. This is when it is capturable.

If you think it's getting close, try pelting it with a dung bomb and see if it limps away when moving to another area. Or, get the Capture Guru skill (either from a full set of Bone armor or 5 Perception Jewel decorations). When active, the pink dot on the map of a painted monster will start to flash when it's ready for capture.

Does monsters captureable in egg/carry/deliver missions or just hunt missions?

All monsters that can be captured can be captured everywhere, I believe the only exception is the Lagiacrus in Village 1★ quest “Guts: It's What's for Dinner” who can't be killed either.

OmegaZero

Wow, using the Kelbi Bow was way easier then trying to GS Lucent Nargacuga. It just staggered and squealed as its parts constantly broke. Died in a bit over 15 minutes.

I guess it's a good thing that this (supposedly) isn't as effective on other monsters solo or I would be tempted to use it on everything. :b

Lizardus

Wow, using the Kelbi Bow was way easier then trying to GS Lucent Nargacuga. It just staggered and squealed as its parts constantly broke. Died in a bit over 15 minutes.

I guess it's a good thing that this (supposedly) isn't as effective on other monsters solo or I would be tempted to use it on everything. :b

It actually is.

OmegaZero

It actually is.

For solo G-rank play? I've been reading that for general solo use, the awakened Kelbi Deershot is actually fairly average as far as bows go. I actually haven't tried fighting anything else with it (not a bow or bowgun user atm), but if it is, damn lol.

Lizardus

For solo G-rank play? I've been reading that for general solo use, the awakened Kelbi Deershot is actually fairly average as far as bows go. I actually haven't tried fighting anything else with it (not a bow or bowgun user atm), but if it is, damn lol.

It's not just that the Kelbi deershot is OP with awakened slime and ability to carry all status coatings, it's so damn easy to use. best for farming but I wouldn't use it for anything else.

Anura

It would depend on the monster and if you are using it like other bows and not just mashing X. Kelbi will wreck things like Zin/S. Zin if you charge it and aim for the weak points

OmegaZero

It's not just that the Kelbi deershot is OP with awakened slime and ability to carry all status coatings, it's so damn easy to use. best for farming but I wouldn't use it for anything else.

So it goes beyond what a "general-use" bow would be? It can be a viable replacement for end-tier elemental bows (similar to Cera Cymmetry except worse due to the ease-of-use)? I'm not planning on using it on other monsters unless I run into another monster that I just can't seem to beat with my GS, but the whole "OP" label has me curious. :b

EDIT: Also, is there any specific way I should be using Status Coatings? I tried using both Sleep and Paralysis coatings on Lucent but gave up after using up 10 of each.

It would depend on the monster and if you are using it like other bows and not just mashing X. Kelbi will wreck things like Zin/S. Zin if you charge it and aim for the weak points

Ah, well that's mostly how I've been using it against Lucent (always thought there was something suspect about the claim that spamming uncharged shots is effective). Not exactly sure where the weak points are but I've been using Level 3 charges on parts that I want broken and then targeting its wings/head after everything breaks with Level 2 or 3 attacks.

Is the Arc Shot something I should also try to use frequently to maximize damage? Or would charge attacks be a more reliable source of damage due to the (seemingly) more frequent slime application?

Lizardus

So it goes beyond what a "general-use" bow would be? It can be a viable replacement for end-tier elemental bows (similar to Cera Cymmetry except worse due to the ease-of-use)? I'm not planning on using it on other monsters unless I run into another monster that I just can't seem to beat with my GS, but the whole "OP" label has me curious. :b

EDIT: Also, is there any specific way I should be using Status Coatings? I tried using both Sleep and Paralysis coatings on Lucent but gave up after using up 10 of each.

Ah, well that's mostly how I've been using it against Lucent (always thought there was something suspect about the claim that spamming uncharged shots is effective). Not exactly sure where the weak points are but I've been using Level 3 charges on parts that I want broken and then targeting its wings/head after everything breaks with Level 2 or 3 attacks.

Is the Arc Shot something I should also try to use frequently to maximize damage? Or would charge attacks be a more reliable source of damage due to the (seemingly) more frequent slime application?

For status, just use it normally. No need to charge since when you press X, you fire five "arrows". Status doesn't scale with damage AFAIK.

Anura

For status, just use it normally. No need to charge since when you press X, you fire five "arrows". Status doesn't scale with damage AFAIK.
Coating status most certainly does scale with charge level! Always charge your status coatings people, it pains me so much when people waste them all by mashing X...

Aiming for the weak point really isn't worth it for L. Narga btw, just continue as is.

Lizardus

Coating status most certainly does scale with charge level! Always charge your status coatings people, it pains me so much when people waste them all by mashing X...

Aiming for the weak point really isn't worth it for L. Narga btw, just continue as is.

Did not know that ,I don't use bows often.

I used almost exclusively bows for who knows how long, and still I never am quite sure whether it's worth it or not to charge status coatings.

I'm actually a huge weirdo. I use the Kelbi bow, but not because of the Awakened slime. I use it because I can throw every status I want on everything forever with a Status + armor set.
I do keep around an Awakening set for it though.

Anura

I used almost exclusively bows for who knows how long, and still I never am quite sure whether it's worth it or not to charge status coatings.

I'm actually a huge weirdo. I use the Kelbi bow, but not because of the Awakened slime. I use it because I can throw every status I want on everything forever with a Status + armor set.
I do keep around an Awakening set for it though.

I think the sand barioth bow might be able to use everything but slime coating and maybe close range. You might want to look into that for its killer raw and free extra charge level.

Also if anyone wants to confirm that coatings thing for themselves you can go out and equip a slime coating and see how quick you get in explosion with charging vs no charging. Also a bow with default slime will apply slime like any other melee weapon unlike using a slime coating.

Lizardus

I think the sand barioth bow might be able to use everything but slime coating and maybe close range. You might want to look into that for its killer raw and free extra charge level.

Also if anyone wants to confirm that coatings thing for themselves you can go out and equip a slime coating and see how quick you get in explosion with charging vs no charging. Also a bow with default slime will apply slime like any other melee weapon unlike using a slime coating.

but does the rate of uncharged application outweigh the damage of charged shot?

O D I N

Only real update I have that I feel like sharing is that I hit rank 100, and I finished my Lucent Switch Axe, finally.

Made a set that works pretty well for it, too. May change a few things around:

Rath Soul Z
Rath Soul Z
Brachydios X
Rath Soul Z
Rath Soul Z

Hearing+4 00

Set gives HGE, Crit Eye 2, and Challenger 2.

OmegaZero

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll keep the status advice in mind next time I decide to use a bow. Finally got a few Cloudy Moonshards so I feel that I can safely retire the Kelbi for a bit.

Now I want to farm Dire Miralis, who doesn't die nearly as fast as I want him too when I'm using greatswords (35-40 minutes on average). :/

Lizardus

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll keep the status advice in mind next time I decide to use a bow. Finally got a few Cloudy Moonshards so I feel that I can safely retire the Kelbi for a bit.

Now I want to farm Dire Miralis, who doesn't die nearly as fast as I want him too when I'm using greatswords (35-40 minutes on average). :/

Make Eclipse Gambit/Diablazooka/Empress Garden and destroy him with Pierce3/Normal3.

Aul, Challenger+2, Pierce up/Normal up are some of the essential HBG skills

EDIT: Recoil Down+1 if you want to make Diablazooka. Don't remove the limiter on that.

Anura

but does the rate of uncharged application outweigh the damage of charged shot?
Considering you only have 20 coatings + combines, yes it does. It should also be faster with infinite coatings but that's just guess work on my part. Again it won't effect natural slime just the coatings.

Edit: Decided to test to just test it myself. On Purple Lud, coatings used before first explosion:
14 coatings used with mashing
7 coatings used with charging ( I even messed up and ran out if stamina and released a shot early)

The explosion with charging came first.

Lizardus

Considering you only have 20 coatings + combines, yes it does. It should also be faster with infinite coatings but that's just guess work on my part. Again it won't effect natural slime just the coatings.

Edit: Decided to test to just test it myself. On Purple Lud, coatings used before first explosion:
14 coatings used with mashing
7 coatings used with charging ( I even messed up and ran out if stamina and released a shot early)

The explosion with charging came first.

Cool, thanks.

tuffy

I still need Skyswayers from Alatreon. Any tips for soloing her? Is the Kelbi bow OP enough to farm its horns?
Just farmed a couple of those online yesterday, coincidentally enough. One approach might be to put it to sleep and blow up the horns using barrel bombs in case spamming slime doesn't work out. But I'm still looking for a good solo gunning strategy myself since explosive shot alone doesn't scale to the G rank version.

Just because the monster is tired doesn't necessarily mean it's capturable. Imagine that it has 2 invisible gauges, one for health and one for stamina. When the stamina one runs down after fighting for awhile, it gets tired. That means it'll often stand around and drool, make some mostly ineffective attacks, or try to find something to eat.

The health gauge goes down when the hunter hits it with attacks. When almost empty, the monster will limp away from the room instead of walking normally (you'll be able to spot the difference with practice) and will often try to find some place to sleep. This is when it is capturable.

If you think it's getting close, try pelting it with a dung bomb and see if it limps away when moving to another area. Or, get the Capture Guru skill (either from a full set of Bone armor or 5 Perception Jewel decorations). When active, the pink dot on the map of a painted monster will start to flash when it's ready for capture.

Ok, thanks! Will try to make a capture set of armor now that I can use decorations and such.

Question: Can you only upgrade to the + sign or can you upgrade to a new tier of weapon in MH3U for 3DS? I have yet to see an option for that yet online there seems to be "weapon trees" that branch out from getting certain weapons.

Same for Armor.

Also, can you change the color of your armor?

Anura

Ok, thanks! Will try to make a capture set of armor now that I can use decorations and such.

Question: Can you only upgrade to the + sign or can you upgrade to a new tier of weapon in MH3U for 3DS? I have yet to see an option for that yet online there seems to be "weapon trees" that branch out from getting certain weapons.

Same for Armor.

Also, can you change the color of your armor?

All the weapons that are worth while usually need to be upgraded in some form and many can only be found by taking the weapon up a certain path. There is an offline "Dex" application that has tons of helpful information of the game including weapon trees. I however don't have the link handy so until someone can post it you can go to Gamefaqs they have some weapon tree infographics you can take a peek at.

Also armor color can be changed but only slightly and only once you get to high/G rank

Quadratic

Hey. Anyone online tonight? I'd like to farm G rank Black Diablos or Gold Beard Ceadeus.

I guess I'll got to the GAF channel or make it. 03 Free Lobby 9 pass is in the OP.

EDIT: Just quote to see the password >

tuffy

Thanks for the help fighting Black Diablos. So unlucky. took 4 runs to get the Blackcurl Horn +
Glad I could be of some help. I managed to get at least one of them on each run, which is the game trolling everyone like usual.

Though I normally bowgun all the things, I'm starting to pick up the longsword for hunting Diablos and Nibelsnarf solo and I've actually had success with it. With Diablos it's nice to be able to take one of those underground launches without being completely obliterated, and it's not too hard to dodge its tail swipes to put some sword slashes into it while it's taunting. With Snarf, his sweeping side-to-side sand beam is hard to avoid when fighting from range but is easy to handle when parked right against his front paws.

Pila

Wow, yesterday some guy made a turns room, people came in pretty fast, myself included.

Host was doing some quest on his own, we waited. When he came back he started writing strange bullshit and he closed the room :\ I never found an asshole in MH, userbase is always nice and cheerful, I was kinda surprised. Is it a common joke or something? I'm not talking about a new player, dude was like HR90... I think I also met him before.

Anyway, I'm having great fun with the GS, thanks again for your tips, I'm forging some sick stuff, the l.narga GS is next.

tuffy

So if I buy just a WiiU with no pad for 100 bucks, will I be able to use it to play MH3U?
Can you get access to a pad temporarily (maybe rent a system or something)? If you buy a Wii U Pro Controller and sync it to your system, you'll be able to bring the system menu up on your TV (via the X button) and start the game via that controller. Monster Hunter can then be setup to use only the Pro Controller for inputs in the game's main menu, but you'll need to navigate that menu the first time from a gamepad. But the changed setting does seem to stick so you'll be able to control it from the Pro Controller thereafter.

Shengar

So, uh, just now I "farmed" Ceadeus and managed to get 3 Deep Dragongem, but got only one Ceadeus Fur. Any tips on farming him? Is it Save Moga Village mission the best to one to take?

Macka

I just ordered Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for 3DS and it should arrive within a few days. I have a few questions if anyone can help me out.

1. Is there a definitive top tier weapon and armor set? Basically if I go online am I going to see every second hunter wearing the exact same armor, etc?
2. Is the circle pad worth it? I played the demo and the only real trouble I had with the controls was during the underwater segment.
3. Do people typically pick ONE weapon type and use that during the entire playthough? Or should I try and become proficient in a few types?

Shengar

I just ordered Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for 3DS and it should arrive within a few days. I have a few questions if anyone can help me out.

1. Is there a definitive top tier weapon and armor set? Basically if I go online am I going to see every second hunter wearing the exact same armor, etc?
2. Is the circle pad worth it? I played the demo and the only real trouble I had with the controls was during the underwater segment.
3. Do people typically pick ONE weapon type and use that during the entire playthough? Or should I try and become proficient in a few types?

1. Equipment really depends on people playstyle, so it'll little chance to run into some people with same armor set, unless they go for the look instead of the function.
2. I don't know since I'm playing the Wii U version, but camera control is really crucial here since you'll fight some important underwater battle.
3. Personally, I only use one weapon type, but it might change if the situation push me to pick other weapon.

Chuckpebble

1. You will find that there are certain skill sets that pair well with certain weapons, which will narrow down some of your armor choices. For instance, I found it hard to use anything but Steel Uragaan while using the gunlance. But there's not really any "best" weapon.

2. Never used the circle pad. I did about 500 hours on 3DS. The target camera is well implemented. Its especially good underwater. Better than a right stick in fact. When a monster swims behind you, you have to first rotate around to see them, and then adjust the camera on the Y axis. Or you could just tap the L button and be on your way.

3. I think its possible to use just one weapon class, but when I did that I ran into some tricky monsters that lent themselves better to other weapons. I don't think it matters as much in group play, but on 3DS, solo, you probably want to get good with a small handful of weapons in case one is more efficient and saves you time.

tuffy

There isn't one single "best" weapon or armor set for all situations. Some weapons are easier against certain monsters than others and sometimes people just have a different style of play than others (like guard lancing vs. evade lancing) so they'll pick armor skills accordingly.
I thought it was worth it. As mentioned, the game is playable without the pad, but I don't regret having a dedicated camera control and some large extra triggers since they both get a lot of use.
I stuck with one weapon for a very long time but others like to mix things up regularly. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a broad base of proficiencies in case something starts giving you trouble.

GeekyDad

Got a CPP for my wife and I tried it a couple of times out of curiosity. It works well, and my son seems to like it when he plays on her 3DS. Me personally, I'm fine without it. I'll probably buy another CPP for MH4U, since it's my understanding that game has full analog camera control, but for 3U, it just doesn't feel necessary to me. I got used to the digital d-pad on the bottom screen, and it feels and works good for me. Worth it but not necessary. The underwater hunts are mostly gonna suck at first whether you have a CPP or not.

Underwater combat is awful without CPP, personally. CPP actually lets me swim around to dodge to where I want. Virtual dpad camera / soft camera lock just aren't good substitutes for me.

Chuckpebble

Underwater combat is awful without CPP, personally. CPP actually lets me swim around to dodge to where I want. Virtual dpad camera / soft camera lock just aren't good substitutes for me.

Would you say its the added buttons that are helping you in that situation? The ones that let you swim up and down?

For me, dodging underwater was problematic because I was using the setting where dodge orientation was aligned with the camera view. It was great on land, but I'd get unexpected results underwater. Sometimes I'd dodge up or down when I didn't intend to. Once I switched it to the other setting, left is my hunter's left, down always dodges down, etc. I had no issues.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

It really depends on the fight. Plesi is usually fine without the CCP, the only one that really gave me fits was Lagi.

Would you say its the added buttons that are helping you in that situation? The ones that let you swim up and down?

For me, dodging underwater was problematic because I was using the setting where dodge orientation was aligned with the camera view. It was great on land, but I'd get unexpected results underwater. Sometimes I'd dodge up or down when I didn't intend to. Once I switched it to the other setting, left is my hunter's left, down always dodges down, etc. I had no issues.

Hmm no. It's that I can move or avoid damage by just swimming around instead of having to spend stamina on a dodge.

Speaking of extra buttons, the triggers are awesome for manual camera control. For PSP players who really liked to claw, it's a complete upgrade. Clawing lets me control the camera with extra fingers rather than my thumb which will remain on the face buttons to attack/dodge/etc. Clawing is uncomfy and many learned to deal with it, but the triggers solved that issue.

I can deal with ground combat without CPP, but I prefer to have it. If I need to do sone underwater or dual monster arena fights I'd rather not play without CPP.

Macka

Thanks for the info guys. Really looking forward to getting into this :)

I've played the demo about twenty times already and the Great Sword is my favourite weapon. I can take down Lagombi in around ten minutes, taking minimal damage and not using any items except for steak. With a shock trap and bombs he's dead in around five.

Plesioth on the other hand gives me a ton of trouble. I just hate the underwater combat, and I always seem to run out of time right when he starts limping which is frustrating. Guess the 50 minute time limit in the actual game will solve that problem though. Do you get bonuses to the rewards depending on how fast you beat the missions?

Do you get bonuses to the rewards depending on how fast you beat the missions?
Nothing at all. You can get bonuses by cutting/breaking certain parts (tails, heads, wings, fangs, etc), and sometimes you actually need to do it to get a specific item. You may also get bonuses by capturing monsters by using traps when they're very low on health (limping) then throwing tranq bombs.

And yes Plesioth is an ass but he was way more annoying in older games.

Top Bottom