• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Anura

Thanks for the info guys. Really looking forward to getting into this :)

I've played the demo about twenty times already and the Great Sword is my favourite weapon. I can take down Lagombi in around ten minutes, taking minimal damage and not using any items except for steak. With a shock trap and bombs he's dead in around five.

Plesioth on the other hand gives me a ton of trouble. I just hate the underwater combat, and I always seem to run out of time right when he starts limping which is frustrating. Guess the 50 minute time limit in the actual game will solve that problem though. Do you get bonuses to the rewards depending on how fast you beat the missions?

Nope, sadly enough. The incentive to get better is mostly in being able to not use up all those valuable items. There is however, a kinda personal joy to seeing the monster go down quicker each run.

GeekyDad

I played the entire game without CCP, in Japanese too! Get on my level people.

aQQbDw2.jpg

Lizardus

So for an SnS and Dual Sword status/element set, I can make

Honed Blade
Status Attack +2/Element Attack Up
Evasion+1
Stamina Recovery Up

My question is, does the AuL I get from Honed Blade really needed for a status/element stat or are there any other skills I can go for.

I am really torn about this, it's been bugging me for two days. To waste that Dynamo or not to waste that Dynamo...

Insaniac

So for an SnS and Dual Sword status/element set, I can make

Honed Blade
Status Attack +2/Element Attack Up
Evasion+1
Stamina Recovery Up

My question is, does the AuL I get from Honed Blade really needed for a status/element stat or are there any other skills I can go for.

I am really torn about this, it's been bugging me for two days. To waste that Dynamo or not to waste that Dynamo...

well this is a pretty good set for a lot of weapons, so the honed blade is worth it IMO.

tuffy

Looks like kiranico got a pretty significant overhaul and a bit more useful info than before. For instance, the new version has accurate bowgun deviation, rapid-fire and crouching-fire numbers whereas the old one didn't. Even the armor set builder seems better now. It's about time, really.

upandaway

The new weapons tree is really neat. No longer pecking around for specific elements of final weapons.

The armor page is also pretty cool but really with Athena's app, not much point to that one.

tuffy

Yeah, after poking at it a bit more, Mhag is still a better online armor generator.

I also see that Kiranico fixed Alatreon's damage chart. The old one had something like 45 shot damage to the head, 40 shot damage to the tail and 0(!) shot damage to the body while flying. But anyone who's ever tried knew those numbers were way off.

Is this normal? I'm using a PC, Firefox, tried to force refreshing but the font is still way too small even with “Row Density: Expanded”. I have to perform extreme zooming to eventually have acceptable font size.

APJSEHf.png

tuffy

Looks like they've set the font for the upgrade/craft outright rows to 60% which is way too small. It's like the Wii U font size all over again.

Zarovitch

I was playing online last evening and my firnd ask me, what mean Attack + 2
I know you get better at attack but +2 add to which stats?

tuffy

Where is he seeing "Attack +2"?

There are charms and pieces are armor that give 2 more points to your Attack skill, but 2 points alone doesn't do anything. If you get the Attack skill to 10 points - counting all the points of Attack on your charm, decorations and all armor pieces - you activate the Attack Up (S) skill. This increases the attack power of your weapon by 12 to 54 points (depending on your weapon type). One of the pages of the "Status" menu (it looks like a spreadsheet) details all the skill points your equipment has and shows any activated skills at the top.

That might be what he's talking about.

Anura

Yeah, after poking at it a bit more, Mhag is still a better online armor generator.

I also see that Kiranico fixed Alatreon's damage chart. The old one had something like 45 shot damage to the head, 40 shot damage to the tail and 0(!) shot damage to the body while flying. But anyone who's ever tried knew those numbers were way off.

Still no G rank carves for him though...

udivision

Does anyone else not play with Armors that don't grant Expert or Attack Up?
I don't know, I always feel like I'm playing with a handicap if I don't have some sort of damage boost.

Anura

I don't know, I always feel like I'm playing with a handicap if I don't have some sort of damage boost.

It's not really that significant of a boost. If you're playing with 4 people the monsters should go down fast no matter what armor skills you have.

also

Banned

Attack +2 does nothing. You need at least 10 skill points to activate a skill. You get points from weapons, armor pieces, charms, and gems you fit into armor and charm slots.
For example if you get 10 attack points you will activate Att Up S (small), 15 points will give you Att up M and 20 Att L.

Attack Up (L) 20 Attack + 24 to 108 (depending on weapon type).
Attack Up (M) 15 Attack +18 to 81 (depending on weapon type).
Attack Up (S) 10 Attack +12 to 54 (depending on weapon type).

Be careful because you can also activate negative skills. The logic is the same as for positive skills, so -2 Att does nothing but -10 gives you Att Down S and so on.

Attack Down (S) -10 Slightly decreases Attack.
Attack Down (M) -15 Decreases Attack.
Attack Down (L) -20 Greatly decreases Attack.

Here's a list of skills and explanations about what they do.

Zarovitch

Where is he seeing "Attack +2"?

There are charms and pieces are armor that give 2 more points to your Attack skill, but 2 points alone doesn't do anything. If you get the Attack skill to 10 points - counting all the points of Attack on your charm, decorations and all armor pieces - you activate the Attack Up (S) skill. This increases the attack power of your weapon by 12 to 54 points (depending on your weapon type). One of the pages of the "Status" menu (it looks like a spreadsheet) details all the skill points your equipment has and shows any activated skills at the top.

That might be what he's talking about.

Ok i'm playing in french and if i undestand Attack Up (S) is Attaque + 1 in french.
And at 15 point he got Attaque + 2 this probably Attack Up (M) in english, right?

You said that this give 12 to 54 points do you see that in the interface of the game somewhere?

edit: Thanks everybody.

udivision

It's not really that significant of a boost. If you're playing with 4 people the monsters should go down fast no matter what armor skills you have.

Oh. I always solo...
I tried going online for the first time for 3U yesterday but I didn't end up doing anything.
Maybe the real handicap is my aversion to playing online.

Anura

Edit for the above: honestly as long as you have sharpness +1 you're fine. The only weapon types that really get enough of a boost from skills to really matter are like GS, Guns and bows. The rest won't see a huge downgrade from not having the most offensive skills on your set.
Ok i'm playing in french and if i undestand Attack Up (S) is Attaque + 1 in french.
And at 15 point he got Attaque + 2 this probably Attack Up (M) in english, right?

You said that this give 12 to 54 points do you see that in the interface of the game somewhere?

edit: Thanks everybody.

On your hunters general status page.

tuffy

Still no G rank carves for him though...
True, though I think there was some effort to derive that info in the past by killing it a bunch of times and keeping track of rewards. Not sure if anything came of it. But it's mostly academic since killing vs. capturing isn't an option; just have to break a bunch of parts and hope for the best.
I like to have some sort of damage boost, though not necessarily one of those two. Light bowguns often benefit more from Bonus Shot and Element Atk Up, for instance. But I like to keep some balance by also having skills that are good for mobility (like Evade Extender or Quick Sheath) or ones to make hunts easier (like Capture Guru).

Anura

True, though I think there was some effort to derive that info in the past by killing it a bunch of times and keeping track of rewards. Not sure if anything came of it. But it's mostly academic since killing vs. capturing isn't an option; just have to break a bunch of parts and hope for the best.

I like to have some sort of damage boost, though not necessarily one of those two. Light bowguns often benefit more from Bonus Shot and Element Atk Up, for instance. But I like to keep some balance by also having skills that are good for mobility (like Evade Extender or Quick Sheath) or ones to make hunts easier (like Capture Guru).

I know that's how we got the Miralis carves I'm just surprised we haven't done anything like that for ala yet

upandaway

The DPS boost is really small, it could help you do what, 5% to 10% (depending on the weapon type) better times with the same performance, so half a minute to a minute per 10 minutes of fighting. If it's a skill that fits the weapon, pretty much every other gameplay-changing skill can help you have a better time decrease with the added bonus of changing gameplay (most of the time making things easier or more fun). Even something like Stamina Up on a DS which is a defensive skill, can help me decrease my time by a couple of minutes because I stay much closer to the monster on average.

Plus I think MH is MH because it's more fun to actually increase your DPS through gameplay, rather than just through a superficial increase.

udivision

The DPS boost is really small, it could help you do what, 5% to 10% (depending on the weapon type) better times with the same performance, so half a minute to a minute per 10 minutes of fighting. If it's a skill that fits the weapon, pretty much every other gameplay-changing skill can help you have a better time decrease with the added bonus of changing gameplay (most of the time making things easier or more fun). Even something like Stamina Up on a DS which is a defensive skill, can help me decrease my time by a couple of minutes because I stay much closer to the monster on average.

Plus I think MH is MH because it's more fun to actually increase your DPS through gameplay, rather than just through a superficial increase.

That's a better way to look at it. Right now I'm rolling (ha!) with Volvidon Armor and the Zephyr so I have Evasion +2 and Attack Up (L) which might be my favorite combo in the game so far, but I think I'm gonna try to come up with something else.

Anura

That's a better way to look at it. Right now I'm rolling (ha!) with Volvidon Armor and the Zephyr so I have Evasion +2 and Attack Up (L) which might be my favorite combo in the game so far, but I think I'm gonna try to come up with something else.

Well what weapons do you use? The best skills tend to change depending on the weapon type.

tuffy

The Free A world alone has been hitting the limit of 1000 people pretty much every weekend lately with more spread around all the others. Even during the week it's been 700-800 people in the evenings. That's a lot of rooms considering they're limited to 4 people each.

Lizardus

Finished two sets.

Plesioth Helm X
Plesioth Mail X
Plesioth Vambraces X
Golden Luneoil
Plesioth Greaves X
-----------------
+5 Fate, +8 Rec Speed ---
-----------------
1x Fate Jewel 3
1x Recovery Jewel 2
3x Fate Jewel 1
0 slots spare

Gives Great Luck, Trap Master, Capture Master, Mind's Eye and Recovery Speed +1. Hilariously large number of rewards when I capture a monster. I use it with Mizar's Autism. No weapon slots required.

Narga Cap Z
Nether Mail
Nether Vambraces
Vangis Coil (or anything with Torso Inc)
Nebula Greaves X
-----------------
+6 Stam Recov, +3 EdgeMaster ---
-----------------
3x Disabler Jewel 2
1x Evasion Jewel 2
1x Disabler Jewel 1
1x Evasion Jewel 1
1x Expert Jewel 1
0 slots spare

Gives Honed Blade, Status+2, Evasion+1 and Stam Recovery Up. Needs a two slot weapon so I use it with Giggi Dual Swords. Pretty much poison all the time.

tuffy

I finally discovered how to keep the system transfer from eating my guild cards every time I move my save back to the Wii U. Turns out it requires opening all the saves on the 3DS and performing a save-and-quit on each one individually before transferring back.

I'd have a lot more hired hunters to choose from if I'd bothered to read the directions sooner.

Lizardus

I finally discovered how to keep the system transfer from eating my guild cards every time I move my save back to the Wii U. Turns out it requires opening all the saves on the 3DS and performing a save-and-quit on each one individually before transferring back.

I'd have a lot more hired hunters to choose from if I'd bothered to read the directions sooner.

Uh, don't you just have to make sure that Extended Data gets transferred to transfer guild cards and such?

tuffy

Uh, don't you just have to make sure that Extended Data gets transferred to transfer guild cards and such?
You do, but if there's multiple hunters on the save, they've all got to have that extended data saved to the SD card or you'll get a nasty message and the guild cards are lost when transferring back to the Wii U. Counter-intuitive as that is, it's on page 6 of the transfer tool's built-in manual.

Toxi

Banned
Oh wow, first time playing in a while and I'm rusty.

Heavy bowgun is really fun though, especially now that I actually am using the circle pad pro.

tuffy

The heavy bowgun has become one of my favorite weapons to use against Miralis and Jhen; just keep crouch firing until all the ammo is gone. It's even good against big slowpokes like Duramboros or underwater nuisances like Plesioth. But it's been less helpful against hyperactive stuff like Alatreon (which takes pretty lousy shot damage to boot).

So I've decided to try out the bow. After watching a couple of tutorial videos, I tossed together a Nargacuga Z set and the Warflare Demolisher, and tested it on some random Moga Woods stuff. A couple of exploded Great Jaggis and a Qurupeco later, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Seems perfect for high mobility targets.

Anura

The heavy bowgun has become one of my favorite weapons to use against Miralis and Jhen; just keep crouch firing until all the ammo is gone. It's even good against big slowpokes like Duramboros or underwater nuisances like Plesioth. But it's been less helpful against hyperactive stuff like Alatreon (which takes pretty lousy shot damage to boot).

So I've decided to try out the bow. After watching a couple of tutorial videos, I tossed together a Nargacuga Z set and the Warflare Demolisher, and tested it on some random Moga Woods stuff. A couple of exploded Great Jaggis and a Qurupeco later, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Seems perfect for high mobility targets.

It's a real shame that the bow selection is absolute junk in 3U... Not anything like the other games.

Top Bottom