• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

upandaway

Still trudging through the arenas slowly every week, I've got 2-3 weapons each left on Challenges 2-4 and 1 each on 8 and 9, and all weapons left on 10, so almost there. The arenas are so dang fun ya'll. Amazing moments happen on a regular basis.

Still haven't S-Ranked the Ivory/A.Rath/Brachy challenge, I think I have S-Rank on every other weapon in every other quest but just this one we can't do it.

That said I'll probably be online tomorrow just for a change of pace. I haven't used my weapons and armor in forever.

tuffy

On one hand, at least completing all the Arena quests with all the weapons would unlock the Barrage Earrings, which would open up some good armor set possibilities. On the other hand, there's a lot of weapons I have no idea how to operate at all - like Switch Axes, Gunlances and Hunting Horns. It's "I have no idea what I'm doing": Monster Hunter edition.

In the meantime, I'll have to see if I can rope some unsuspecting hunters into my last 8 star quest - the March of Victory.

upandaway

I'll be down to do that quest if we meet up. That and that Event Ivory quest.

I love that part of the arena because I spent some quality time with every weapon class and I can use all of them, if it's just getting S-Rank. Although sometimes it takes a couple tries.
For some reason they always give you overpowered SAs in the arena, at least compared to the other weapons, so as long as you just downward chop endlessly and use the sword's vertical combo once in a while, you'll probably get the best time out of all the weapons (or come close).

I already got the earrings from doing the arena stuff, I'm working on the challenge arena stuff now. They're a lot more fun. I do wish they put in more solo arenas though, soloing the 2+ ones with things like the HH or bow is way beyond me.

tuffy

I'm up for Event Ivory Lagi. He's surprisingly easy to light bowgun (just keep circling to his left and applying flame shot to his back) and I just devised a slightly less paranoid armor set which should hopefully minimize any one-shot deaths.

In the past a lot of the GAF get-togethers have been early Saturday on my local time (UTC-5) but I'm pretty flexible.

Krogan

For Playing with Fire am I supposed to kill the Great Jaggi before attempting Qurupeco? The Great Jaggi always shows up halfway through my fight in each area it seems. Dealing with adds seems to be my biggest problem with the LBG.

tuffy

One of Qurupeco's calls summons some other monster to make your life more difficult. You're not expected to kill the other monster - especially since what it calls gets worse as the game goes on. One option is to either stop the summoning call by hitting it very hard or throwing a sonic bomb. Another option that might be easier is to throw a dung bomb at either Qurupeco or the other monster to drive it into another room. I think you're given dung bombs in the box to help with this. That should make the fight a lot easier.

Krogan

I had just picked up the game Thursday and I love it so far. I already know most of the mechanics (like eating at the Canteen before questing) altho I have yet to touch the farm. I kind of wish Gunners and Blademasters could use the same gear because I started off with the LBG and now I want to try Dual Blades/Hammer/SnS but I probably don't even have enough money to craft it all.

upandaway

Huh.. I have these awards left:

29 Scroll of the Sage
Complete every page of the combo book

30 Bionomical Report
Capture every monster (excluding Abyssal Lagiacrus, Hallowed Jhen Mohran, Jhen Mohran, Goldbeard Ceadeus, Ceadeus, Savage Deviljho, Dire Miralis and Alatreon)

32 Hunter's Progress
Clear 20 quests on each map of the game (Misty Peaks, Deserted Island, Flooded Forest, Desert, Volcano, Tundra, Underwater Ruin, Great Desert) and 20 quests combined on the Tainted Sea, the Sacred Land and the Tower

34 Argosy License
Acquire every rare commodity at least once excluding Atlantis Crab, Bullfango Tusk, Eldest Saturnian and Queen's Needle.

36 Artisan's Hammer
Obtain 10 weapons of each class (10 * 12) upgraded to their maximum level plus 5 G rank armor pieces for each slot

39 Atlantis Crabstone Obtain 1 000 000 village resource points
40 Guild Bouquet Obtain 1 000 000 hunter rank points

43 King's Crown Kill all gold crown sized monsters (biggest)
44 Miniature Crown Kill all gold crown sized monsters (smallest)

And... aside from 30 and 32, well, nuts to that. The combo book would've been ok without those slick axes. I might still do it just because everything else is in the bottom row but the dang combo book award is stuck in the row above it.

Dunno how to say this but um, I'm not upgrading 120 weapons to max. That's a bit silly.

tuffy

For the Atlantis Crabstone one, I wound up converting a whole bunch of stuff I wasn't going to use (like leftover rusted/long/large/slender fragments) into resource points, then bought and converted some ice crystals to make up the difference. Now I have more resource points than I know what to do with.

And for the Artisan's Hammer one, apparently it doesn't have to be 10 different weapons for each class. So it's possible to find something with a really short upgrade path and make it 10 times and sell it afterwards. Sounds like a good way to use up some excess cash and clean out a bunch of monster parts from my box.

For Playing with Fire am I supposed to kill the Great Jaggi before attempting Qurupeco? The Great Jaggi always shows up halfway through my fight in each area it seems. Dealing with adds seems to be my biggest problem with the LBG.
Bring some dung bombs. They work great when you want a monster to go to a different area.

XDDX

why is nargacuga so fast? his key quest is ruining my life
He is pretty hard at first, especially if you're using one of the slower weapons. If you're really struggling, just try trapping it and bombing it a few times. That should lower its HP quite a bit. It only gets harder with the subspecies though haha.

as a hammer user, I am not what you'd call "speedy."

He is pretty hard at first, especially if you're using one of the slower weapons. If you're really struggling, just try trapping it and bombing it a few times. That should lower its HP quite a bit. It only gets harder with the subspecies though haha.

yeah the one REALLY giving me the trouble here is the green kiddo. he is turning me into a very gross spaghetti and seems a lot quicker than the default dude. least he jumps around in rapid succession a lot more.

Wolfe

I mainly use hammer and didn't find the green one too bad but I feel that using the azure rathalos set helped a lot with whatever that skill it gives is called that keeps you from having your attacks deflected.

Edit: Mind's Eye is that I was thinking of, I use the Barroth Grandbasher with that set and it seems to work out well.

I should probably switch my armor out before I try again then. I thought my Mosgrhral X armor/demolition hammer would hold up buuut I'm thinkin' not. have to sacrifice the cuteness for somethin' a lil more sturdy I guess. I needed an excuse to beat up a. los for parts anyway.

Wolfe

I have something like 15 different G rank armor sets so I can't really talk, still haven't touched rank 8 though. Fights can take so long to do solo :(

Anura

as a hammer user, I am not what you'd call "speedy."

yeah the one REALLY giving me the trouble here is the green kiddo. he is turning me into a very gross spaghetti and seems a lot quicker than the default dude. least he jumps around in rapid succession a lot more.

Learning to not charge all the way to super pound will help a lot on Narga. Charge level one and two are very good for quick strikes and building KO. Super pound doesn't have a lot of good opportunities against him with the only ones really being when he taunts or launches tail spikes. You can get him when he does his front facing tail swipe by standing at the other side of his head but often times you will need to roll to evade through it. And you could predict the turn but he will often do his wide tail spin when you're behind him so it becomes unsafe there however standing to his side and doing it is usually less risky.

Anura

So I just discovered weapon paths, how many weapons of different paths should I be keeping up?

That depends on what weapon type. GS and hammer love raw and don't need much else. Most every other weapon it's good to have a good stock of every element you can get but once you can get slime much later on you can use that until the endgame.

I have something like 15 different G rank armor sets so I can't really talk, still haven't touched rank 8 though. Fights can take so long to do solo :(
I wouldn't dream of doin anythin 7+ solo prolly cuz I'm a fat lazy baby but also cuz I love when slaying monsters becomes a family occasion.

Learning to not charge all the way to super pound will help a lot on Narga. Charge level one and two are very good for quick strikes and building KO. Super pound doesn't have a lot of good opportunities against him with the only ones really being when he taunts or launches tail spikes. You can get him when he does his front facing tail swipe by standing at the other side of his head but often times you will need to roll to evade through it. And you could predict the turn but he will often do his wide tail spin when you're behind him so it becomes unsafe there however standing to his side and doing it is usually less risky.
yeah I was missing him a lot because I couldn't find the right opportunity to really unleash the beast on him, so to speak. I'll have to just settle for level one/two then! may have been bad luck too since he knocked me into corners twice so there was nowhere for me to go to avoid his dumb pouncing.

Wolfe

I wouldn't dream of doin anythin 7+ solo prolly cuz I'm a fat lazy baby but also cuz I love when slaying monsters becomes a family occasion.

Yeah I moved out of state so I'm no longer around my friends that I'd play with but I still enjoy playing and progressing within the game so (being on 3DS and not having a WiiU to go through) I'm left to do it solo. Definitely not as fun but what can you do.

Yeah I moved out of state so I'm no longer around my friends that I'd play with but I still enjoy playing and progressing within the game so (being on 3DS and not having a WiiU to go through) I'm left to do it solo. Definitely not as fun but what can you do.

Does anyone know if MH4 has online for the 3DS???

I don't wanna run into this problem whenever we get it :[
Game is SOOOOOO many times more fun with a others! That's part of why I left GW2 ... felt like I was playing solo even when I'm in a group. This how ever feels like true team work with my 2 friends and it's so awesome to bring down a monster when I know I'm helping the team with my Hammer ...

Anura

MH4 has online but I don't know if it works well.

If it's functional like Tri's, that's good enough for me.
Typing is a little tricky so quick messages should be the way to go. No PM message is pretty annoying but I guess that isn't too bad if you can use the 3DS in that way (not sure you can though). Finding a room is easy though and they brought back being able to see all other people instead of just the host before entering. Oh and host migration is back!

They might iron out the message stuff in G and I really hope they do but all in all it's very good beyond that.

upandaway

thanks, good to hear.

srsly man MH4 in 2015 is gonna slay.
I'm still a bit bummed out we're not getting the original game, considering how much fun I had with Tri. But yeah MH4U is gonna be so good.

This is probably my favorite song from 3/U aside from maybe Moga at night. I wish they'd let me to just choose to play that forever in the port instead of a rotation.

oh yeah I can get that. sometimes I forget the 3DS version exists since I did WiiU for the sole purpose of online cuz no one 'round me plays the vidya gaemz.

Macka

I started playing the game a few days ago and just found a mystery charm, which turned out to be Poison C+, but the game doesn't say what that does. I got another charm called Mud/Snow +3 and I have no idea what that means either.

Fistwell

I started playing the game a few days ago and just found a mystery charm, which turned out to be Poison C+, but the game doesn't say what that does. I got another charm called Mud/Snow +3 and I have no idea what that means either.
Poison C stands for poison coating, applied to arrows. Mud-snow is a skill that negates mud-snow effects inflicted by some monsters. NB: you need the total of skill points on the equipment you wear to make a certain threshold (typically 10) for the skill to become active. For instance, a charm with mud/snow +3 on its own has no effect. It's only if you wear equipment that provides an additional mud/snow +7 (for a total of 3+7=10) that then the skill becomes active. There's a skill summary in the menus that lets you know the total of skill points for you current outfit, what skills are active, etc.

tuffy

Though Miralis is best avoided when crawling around on all fours, he's a great pierce shot sponge when standing around on his back legs. I've also recently learned that the normally handy Rock Steady skill makes me recover just fast enough to get hit by both fireball breath attacks when he decides to launch two in a row at the same person. This is not easy to survive in gunner armor, so I've switched to a different setup for Miralis farming.

Anura

Though Miralis is best avoided when crawling around on all fours, he's a great pierce shot sponge when standing around on his back legs. I've also recently learned that the normally handy Rock Steady skill makes me recover just fast enough to get hit by both fireball breath attacks when he decides to launch two in a row at the same person. This is not easy to survive in gunner armor, so I've switched to a different setup for Miralis farming.

I usually go all out offense with a crit eye+3, pierce up, unscathed and reload up set

tuffy

I usually go all out offense with a crit eye+3, pierce up, unscathed and reload up set
The consensus seems to be that AuL outdamages CE+3 when using the Eclipse Gambit, so I switched over to my general-purpose piercing set which seems to get the job done. I've got a slightly more offense-oriented Ivory Lagi set with AuM, Pierce Up, Partbreaker and Combo Plus, but its flame resistance is terrible so I leave that one for Goldbeard and Jhen.

I don't remember if i've posted in this thread before, but I gotta say, that's a good set right there. I'm kinda tempted to ape it myself.

tuffy

I can't accept that this charm exists.
I also have a HBG capturing set with a charm that shows up pretty high on the "sort by rarity" list. I never go mining specifically for charms and (still) don't know what table I'm on, so I'm always surprised when something interesting turns up.
I don't remember if i've posted in this thread before, but I gotta say, that's a good set right there. I'm kinda tempted to ape it myself.
Barioth Z is the core of most of my heavy bowgun sets because it has 15 points of Attack, Evade Extender, a 3 slot leg piece, 6 other slots, and excellent flame resistance (the most common elemental attack). I'd recommend it to anyone.

Anura

The consensus seems to be that AuL outdamages CE+3 when using the Eclipse Gambit, so I switched over to my general-purpose piercing set which seems to get the job done. I've got a slightly more offense-oriented Ivory Lagi set with AuM, Pierce Up, Partbreaker and Combo Plus, but its flame resistance is terrible so I leave that one for Goldbeard and Jhen.

Unscathed is like AuL if I can stay at full health. Isn't super hard when gunning too

tuffy

Unscathed is like AuL if I can stay at full health. Isn't super hard when gunning too
I've got Unscathed in an Escadora X set and have more luck maintaining it in some areas than others. In the Tower, Ruins or Arena, it's usually not too hard. Out in the open, it seems like that glowing arm is a beacon for every Bullfango, Rheno, Felyne or flying bug to take a shot at me.

Anura

I've got Unscathed in an Escadora X set and have more luck maintaining it in some areas than others. In the Tower, Ruins or Arena, it's usually not too hard. Out in the open, it seems like that glowing arm is a beacon for every Bullfango, Rheno, Felyne or flying bug to take a shot at me.

Yeah those can get to be a pain. I generally only use it on this set and my normal shot set. This set only really sees use against plessy, jhen, ceadeus and miralis so those are pretty much a non-issue. The normal shot set does get annoyed by them but not by a huge margin because I don't use it with seige mode

Edit: oh and my element LBG set but the mobility makes it a non-factor when it comes to minions

I never tried using HBG with Barioth Z, I usually end up using my LBG with it. Though I put challenger +2, I'm not actually sure if does anything when gunning.

Top Bottom