• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Anura

I never tried using HBG with Barioth Z, I usually end up using my LBG with it. Though I put challenger +2, I'm not actually sure if does anything when gunning.
Challenger is an amazing skill with any weapon. It gives you the effects of both AuL and CE+2 when the monster is in rage mode.

tuffy

I never tried using HBG with Barioth Z, I usually end up using my LBG with it. Though I put challenger +2, I'm not actually sure if does anything when gunning.
Evade Extender is always nice when gunning, but it's especially nice for HBG because you can compensate for its lousy mobility by rolling everywhere. Challenger +2 is also pretty helpful since it gives two good attack skills whenever the monster is raging, but the Critical Eye +2 part of it won't help your explosive or elemental shots.

For my LBG sets I like to have Bonus Shot, Element Atk Up, Evade Extender and whatever else I can squeeze in. But Salvo Jewel 3s take Abyssal Lagiacrus parts, Element Jewels take Alatreon parts and Jumping Jewels only come in 1 slot, so getting all those skills can be a hassle.

Wolfe

I've still yet to kill Dire Miralis, going at him solo as a hammer user has been somewhat of a pain the few times I've tried now.

What's better to use you Carve Materials on after playing a bit of co-op and facing Monsters you wouldn't see at that point in your solo game, Armor or weapons?

Me and my friends got an urgent event for the box dragon ... and we did the even for both of them (I couldn't get it to show up for me for w/e reason). Got a nice amount of stuff.

ohlawd

what's the box dragon? I imagined a giant cardboard box with wings :p

I do weapons first. Armor first if the set I'm aiming for has much better skills than my other sets.

what's the box dragon? I imagined a giant cardboard box with wings :p

I do weapons first. Armor first if the set I'm aiming for has much better skills than my other sets.

Lagiacrus :p
I can make the Vortex Hammer or just upgrade to it ...
Think I'm gonna upgrade to it, save the mats.

Krogan

I'm on the capture Lagiacrus quest...god water combat is so painful, I can never tell if I'm close enough to reach him especially in the murky waters of the Flooded Forest.

Anura

I'm on the capture Lagiacrus quest...god water combat is so painful, I can never tell if I'm close enough to reach him especially in the murky waters of the Flooded Forest.

Some weapons do it better than others. Hammer and the two lances are generally much better UW especially the lances. GS SnS and guns/bows get pretty iffy. SnS gets shorter seemingly more punishable combos and the reduced depth perception hurts it's already pitiful range. The GS just doesn't want to hit anything unless you're point blank and that can seriously hurt it's charge game. Guns/bows are a little different as they're more manageable from a depth perception standpoint but they get reduced range and force you to go closer.

Wolfe

Some weapons do it better than others. Hammer and the two lances are generally much better UW especially the lances. GS SnS and guns/bows get pretty iffy. SnS gets shorter seemingly more punishable combos and the reduced depth perception hurts it's already pitiful range. The GS just doesn't want to hit anything unless you're point blank and that can seriously hurt it's charge game. Guns/bows are a little different as they're more manageable from a depth perception standpoint but they get reduced range and force you to go closer.

Swich axe is great underwater but at the same time I don't have much trouble with hammer in the water either. Can't imagine how playing without 3D on would be though (or the CPP for that matter).

Anura

Swich axe is great underwater but at the same time I don't have much trouble with hammer in the water either. Can't imagine how playing without 3D on would be though (or the CPP for that matter).
It wasn't that bad without either of those (although I might be one if the few oddballs with that opinion). I haven't SWAXed underwater since I played through this game when it came out in Japan but I do remember it being better than most weapon types.

A0anT0k.png

jercruz

I just restarted a new character... My first is a female character who is HR400+ now. The new one is a male, charm table 4.

After 75 hours, I finished all moga quests. Mark of Hero's thrill is just too awesome. I had to retried 3 times before I won that quest. I did Alatreon in one go.

I'll start doing the offline tanzia now, and will probably go online once I hit G-rank.

Anura

I just restarted a new character... My first is a female character who is HR400+ now. The new one is a male, charm table 4.

After 75 hours, I finished all moga quests. Mark of Hero's thrill is just too awesome. I had to retried 3 times before I won that quest. I did Alatreon in one go.

I'll start doing the offline tanzia now, and will probably go online once I hit G-rank.

Funny just how much easier Ala is than Mark of a Hero.

Pila

Why are there so few four star quest in moga village,it is only like 5 quests there/

4* quests in Moga village are more than five, beat them to unlock more.

--

Veterans, please help :) I need a new armor: Vangis X or Lambent? What I really want is Handicraft, Lambent has sweet skills but only two slots. ><

Any tips?

EDIT: I only wear full armors, I know mixed armors are the shit regarding skills. =)

upandaway

4* quests in Moga village are more than five, beat them to unlock more.

--

Veterans, please help :) I need a new armor: Vangis X or Lambent? What I really want is Handicraft, Lambent has sweet skills but only two slots. ><

Any tips?
Mix a set! You may get one or two less skills in sheer numbers, but you'll get all the skills you want, probably. And you'll probably be able to get by with a couple of cheap armor pieces that you can make without any farming, making it possible to make more sets for the same amount of effort.

But yeah you wanna get handicraft no matter what, unless you're using Alatreon/Miralis exclusively or something. It's the biggest DPS boost any skill can give on most weapons.

tuffy

Seems most people only wear Lambent for Wellness, which is a good against status-heavy monsters like Gigginox, Baggi and whatnot.

Vangis X offers a Guts/Adrenaline+2 combo skill. It also offers Speed Eating +2 which is actually pretty useful anytime one needs to chug a potion or drink or whatever - especially handy for Sword and Shield users.

Pila

Well, um, well, why
Ahah I know how you feel, people can't understand my obsession; I really care about aesthetics (much more than skills) and I want my cool armors in their full glory. I'm a casual I guess, I'm HR68 and I figured out a couple of things about the game but I don't mix stuff like veterans do. Casual and fashion victim. ^^

Seems most people only wear Lambent for Wellness, which is a good against status-heavy monsters like Gigginox, Baggi and whatnot.

Vangis X offers a Guts/Adrenaline+2 combo skill. It also offers Speed Eating +2 which is actually pretty useful anytime one needs to chug a potion or drink or whatever - especially handy for Sword and Shield users.
Yeah it's hard to choose... wellness is really cool, but speed eating2 and 10 free slots are cool as well. I main LS, DS and GS... what would you forge?

tuffy

Yeah it's hard to choose... wellness is really cool, but speed eating2 and 10 free slots are cool as well. I main LS, DS and GS... what would you forge?
I'm still learning non-ranged weapons, but I'd rather go with Vangis and gem in anti-status on a hunt-by-hunt basis if necessary. Wellness isn't all that great since there's antidotes against poison, paralysis/sleep are pretty rare attacks, and I can't think of a lot of hunts that feature both. So there's probably better places to get Sharpness +1.

Pila

I'm still learning non-ranged weapons, but I'd rather go with Vangis and gem in anti-status on a hunt-by-hunt basis if necessary. Wellness isn't all that great since there's antidotes against poison, paralysis/sleep are pretty rare attacks, and I can't think of a lot of hunts that feature both. So there's probably better places to get Sharpness +1.
Makes sense, I rarely need more than 4-5 antidotes so maybe wellness it's not that useful. Time to farm the old Jho I guess, thanks for helping, appreciated!

ohlawd

how about grind for full Nether?

Has Honed Blade (Attack L and Sharpness+1), Stam Recov Up, Current Res (low... lol) and negative CritEye.

Anura

However lambent gets challenger +1 and can easily be made into challenger +2. Vangis only gets wrath awoken and that's only good if you're doing speed runs. Plus vangis has blunt edge as a debuff while lambent only gets bad luck and bad luck is easier to gem off.

However vangis has 10 slots while lambent has only 5 (not sure where he got 2 from) so it's still up in the air. But I would go lambent as challenger is too good and carving master makes up for the debuff and is great for farming certain parts

Pila

However lambent gets challenger +1 and can easily be made into challenger +2. Vangis only gets wrath awoken and that's only good if you're doing speed runs. Plus vangis has blunt edge as a debuff while lambent only gets bad luck and bad luck is easier to gem off.

However vangis has 10 slots while lambent has only 5 (not sure where he got 2 from) so it's still up in the air. But I would go lambent as challenger is too good and carving master makes up for the debuff and is great for farming certain parts
I read it has 2 slots on a site dedicated to mh3u, sorry my bad, I didn't know it wasn't reliable. It's really hard to choose, I should just make both ^^ thanks again people.

Insaniac

I think my brother has broken his desire sensor

First time fighting Goldbeard Ceadeus, he gets a Dark Dragon Gem

First fight on a Azure Rath to craft it's armor, he carves a mantle from the tail, and gets one in the reward box

Needed a Skymerald to upgrade his long sword, got one, first hunt (and a jasper to boot).

Needed a Lagiacrus Mantle, got one from the first tail carve.

tuffy

I read it has 2 slots on a site dedicated to mh3u, sorry my bad, I didn't know it wasn't reliable. It's really hard to choose, I should just make both ^^ thanks again people.
This is what I do. I even have the gunner versions of Vangis X and Lambent, fully upgraded, sitting around in my equipment box. Not sure what I was thinking since Load Up isn't in the same league as Sharpness +1, even for bow users. My compulsive suit-making sometimes comes in handy when mixing and matching parts, but it's mostly a way to put umpteen hours into the game without meaning to.

Anura

This is what I do. I even have the gunner versions of Vangis X and Lambent, fully upgraded, sitting around in my equipment box. Not sure what I was thinking since Load Up isn't in the same league as Sharpness +1, even for bow users. My compulsive suit-making sometimes comes in handy when mixing and matching parts, but it's mostly a way to put umpteen hours into the game without meaning to.

I am the same way but with weapons. "Hey I don't have this weapon yet! Well it's really bad/not as good... screw it I'm making it anyways!"

tuffy

I am the same way but with weapons. "Hey I don't have this weapon yet! Well it's really bad/not as good... screw it I'm making it anyways!"
I farmed a bunch of Nibelsnarf Talons offline not too long ago so I could forge the Super Trench Snarfer - just because of the name.

Wolfe

Ahah I know how you feel, people can't understand my obsession; I really care about aesthetics (much more than skills) and I want my cool armors in their full glory. I'm a casual I guess, I'm HR68 and I figured out a couple of things about the game but I don't mix stuff like veterans do. Casual and fashion victim. ^^

Naw I feel ya, I'm the same way. I totally understand that mixed sets offer better options but these armor sets are so cool design wise that I enjoy wearing full sets over min/maxing my stats. Besides it's not like I can't perform good enough wearing a full set anyway as I've been able to solo everything in the game so far so why not.

I actually just killed Dire Miralis for the first time last night as I had been putting it off for half a year since I moved away from my friends that I played with on a regular basis (3DS only, looking forward to 4 so I can finally play online!) and jumped up to rank 61 in doing so. Now I can finally start working on all the sets that I haven't had access to like Lambent and the abyssal lagia set for example. I imagine in the end I'll make most of them though as I've currently got about 15 G rank armors, the only ones I hadn't really made are ones that don't benefit hammer much as that's what I mainly play.

Pila

This game, man. I usually hate farming/grinding but I love farming monsters in mohun, it's so dynamic and fun... I would forge all the things if I was in my teens. I'm going with Lambent first, two moonshards.

Naw I feel ya, I'm the same way. I totally understand that mixed sets offer better options but these armor sets are so cool design wise that I enjoy wearing full sets over min/maxing my stats. Besides it's not like I can't perform good enough wearing a full set anyway as I've been able to solo everything in the game so far so why not.

I actually just killed Dire Miralis for the first time last night as I had been putting it off for half a year since I moved away from my friends that I played with on a regular basis (3DS only, looking forward to 4 so I can finally play online!) and jumped up to rank 61 in doing so. Now I can finally start working on all the sets that I haven't had access to like Lambent and the abyssal lagia set for example. I imagine in the end I'll make most of them though as I've currently got about 15 G rank armors, the only ones I hadn't really made are ones that don't benefit hammer much as that's what I mainly play.
I'm not alone! I'm looking forward to 4 too, this series totally got me.

Qurupeke

After a long time, nostalgia got me and I decided to hunt some monsters. That didn't really go well... lol Brachydios stomped me, Abyss Lagiacrus zapped me and then I tried to kill Alatreon that annihilated me. I need to play more often, it was a blast. Well, by the end of the play session I actually got used to the game again. The Moga Alatreon was almost dead but I had 3 cool drinks with me and I used them all. :(

Anura

After a long time, nostalgia got me and I decided to hunt some monsters. That didn't really go well... lol Brachydios stomped me, Abyss Lagiacrus zapped me and then I tried to kill Alatreon that annihilated me. I need to play more often, it was a blast. Well, by the end of the play session I actually got used to the game again. The Moga Alatreon was almost dead but I had 3 cool drinks with me and I used them all. :(

Well maybe if you weren't hanging out in the smashIRC all day you would have time for hunting.

Anura

I always feel so confident going in against Brachy yet he somehow manages to bump me off at least once.
Brachy is one of the few monsters I still cart to on occasion. All it takes is that turn punch into that "stick my head in the ground and send a line of explosions towards you" move and your dead. No escaping it either so he gets you by surprise

tuffy

I once finished "the Brilliant Darkness" with exactly 3 seconds left on the quest timer.

That's how I learned Alatreon takes terrible shot damage.

Wolfe

Doing rank 8+ solo with a hammer is hard ;_;

Maybe I should just aim to get a Wii U second hand or something so I can play online with the 3DS :p

Top Bottom