• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

tuffy

If you do get a second hand Wii U, you might as well get the Wii U version of the game and use the data transfer tool instead of buying an ethernet adapter and rigging up some 3DS bridge with it.

But yeah, anyone who can complete those 8 star "4 difficult monsters in the arena" quests solo is a better player than I am. It's a lot more fun to tackle those in a group.

Anura

Doing rank 8+ solo with a hammer is hard ;_;

Maybe I should just aim to get a Wii U second hand or something so I can play online with the 3DS :p

I swear all those new HR8+ subspecies are designed to annoying hammer users... The arena quests aren't actually that bad if you bring smoke bombs and combines for smoke bombs but they can be hellish without them.

Qurupeke

Well maybe if you weren't hanging out in the smashIRC all day you would have time for hunting.
Haha, I guess so. I'm still HR73 and there's a ton of Adv Quests to do. And I still didn't complete the Nether Armor because of the Dynamo. lol There's a lot of work to do in summer...

Anura

Haha, I guess so. I'm still HR73 and there's a ton of Adv Quests to do. And I still didn't complete the Nether Armor because of the Dynamo. lol There's a lot of work to do in summer...

Do you have the Wii u version? We can hop on and play now if you do

Wolfe

If you do get a second hand Wii U, you might as well get the Wii U version of the game and use the data transfer tool instead of buying an ethernet adapter and rigging up some 3DS bridge with it.

But yeah, anyone who can complete those 8 star "4 difficult monsters in the arena" quests solo is a better player than I am. It's a lot more fun to tackle those in a group.

Yeah no thanks, I prefer playing in 3D :) (don't take that the wrong way! I just have no desire to buy the game again and play it in 2D)

Why not jump on Nintendo's $200 Deluxe refurb?

It was more just a "maybe sometime in the future" thing as I'm between jobs and couldn't afford either option at the moment.

Pila

how many folks round these parts play on the wii u?
Wii U here. You can play with a proper gamepad (I don't mind portables but they're not very ergonomic) and, well, online. I would buy a 3DS if only I had mohun RL friends...

The virtual keyboard on the jumbo pad is not bad for chatting, imho.

ohlawd

Wii U here. You can play with a proper gamepad (I don't mind portables but they're not very ergonomic) and, well, online. I would buy a 3DS if only I had mohun RL friends...

The virtual keyboard on the jumbo pad is not bad for chatting, imho.
I still use the wired keyboard I bought for MH Tri years ago. Time flies. I should have bought a wireless one >_>

Pila

I still use the wired keyboard I bought for MH Tri years ago. Time flies. I should have bought a wireless one >_>
Wireless would be handy. ;)

Gamepad's virtual KB has suggestions, like a smartphone. Not too bad for some fast typing during matches. I love chatting, I hope we'll have a way to chat in MH4U, not only in lobbies but also during the actual fight.

Quadratic

Wow. Just built some LBG's. The weapon is really fun to use. The general consensus is to leave the limiter on for Rapid Fire? Which guns should I be looking to craft? I'm almost finished the God's Archipelago. Right now I have the Jade Barioth and Miralis guns. I guess lightning and a water elemental guns next?

PKrockin

I just bought this game on Wii U after getting Freedom Unite on PS+ and trying it out. It's pretty fun. A lot easier than Freedom Unite too. I keep getting tempted to go armorless despite everyone's warnings, lol. Add me if you like, I can't be online much due to my job though. (Meteor_Mash)

Wow. Just built some LBG's. The weapon is really fun to use. The general consensus is to leave the limiter on for Rapid Fire? Which guns should I be looking to craft? I'm almost finished the God's Archipelago. Right now I have the Jade Barioth and Miralis guns. I guess lightning and a water elemental guns next?

I personally made the elemental guns first, then worked my way out from there. But honestly, at the point in the game that I started gunning I already had more than enough mats to max em out. x:

Anura

Miralis gun is great for fire RF and dragon too should you need it so keep that. As for the other elements you should get S. Bari gun for ice, Normal Plessy gun for water, A. Lagi for lightning and you might as well get the kettleblower for support. Beyond that you won't really need much the Gold Ian and L Narga can be good for raw but that's a roll better left to the HBGs

PKrockin

Man this game is easy so far. I killed a few of the boss monsters and barely even had to use any of the supply first aid medicines, let alone my own mega potions. Freedom Unite kicked my ass from the get-go with that giant boar. Maybe I should go armorless for now.

Pila

Man this game is easy so far. I killed a few of the boss monsters and barely even had to use any of the supply first aid medicines, let alone my own mega potions. Freedom Unite kicked my ass from the get-go with that giant boar. Maybe I should go armorless for now.
A couple of basic armors can't hurt, imho, unless you already know how decorations and skills work. You don't wanna forge a lot of low rank armors though, they are going to be useless later in the game.

Well, my Lambent armor is done, now I'm starting to learn the switchaxe. Mind to share some info about the thing? I don't wanna hit other hunters but it looks like a dangerous weapon in that regard...

upandaway

I used the starting Leather armor un-upgraded for the entirety of LR, and then an un-upgraded LR armor of Diablos for the entirety of HR. Then G Rank kicked me so hard that I had to get a G Rank armor upgraded to max before even getting to HR7.

That said, I liked the difficulty with the armor choices I had during LR and HR. For LR I also restricted myself to potions instead of mega potions, and it was pretty fun. The monster parts it saved me meant I had lots of weapons across lots of classes.

Well, my Lambent armor is done, now I'm starting to learn the switchaxe. Mind to share some info about the thing? I don't wanna hit other hunters but it looks like a dangerous weapon in that regard...
Focus on cutting tails because that's kind of the only area where the Switchaxe is better than most weapons. You don't have any reason to use moves other than the overhead chop in axe mode and vertical one-two in sword mode, except for when you want to switch modes mid-combo, or the monster is extremely weak to your element + phial so you can go for the burst.

I'd recommend to hit the arenas that have a switch axe and some other weapon you're good with. Generally, switchaxes are really overpowered in the arena and they can get close to if not the best times easily, so comparing your SA time to your preferred weapon time is a good indication of satisfactory DPS.

Pila

Focus on cutting tails because that's kind of the only area where the Switchaxe is better than most weapons. You don't have any reason to use moves other than the overhead chop in axe mode and vertical one-two in sword mode, except for when you want to switch modes mid-combo, or the monster is extremely weak to your element + phial so you can go for the burst.

I'd recommend to hit the arenas that have a switch axe and some other weapon you're good with. Generally, switchaxes are really overpowered in the arena and they can get close to if not the best times easily, so comparing your SA time to your preferred weapon time is a good indication of satisfactory DPS.
You don't like using the phial special? I don't know if I should bother, same thing with the alternating slashes: after X+A (Axe mode) I can combo what I call "the psycho attack": my hunter swings the weapon like a maniac and it drains stamina tremendously. Is it any good? I guess I would send other hunters on a flight...

I'll do some arena, thanks. I usually get my best times with the dual blades, let's see if this Axe can compete...

Wolfe

Wii U only. I can't imagine staring at a tiny low resolution screen for ~800 hours. Took a break ever since Dark Souls II came out, but I'm getting the itch to hunt again soon.

To each his own dude, I can't imagine not playing the game in 3D. The resolution bothers me not :)

I can definitely appreciate playing in HD on a large screen though.

I should post here more and play with some Gaffers, I'm HR7 and main GS, I should play more but after 200 hours I just had to take a break.

I'm currently using the Myxo Demolisher(GS) even if I dislike how OP Slime is, but how can I say no to that Sharpness?

The 3DS version is awesome btw, I can't wait for MH4.

upandaway

You don't like using the phial special? I don't know if I should bother, same thing with the alternating slashes: after X+A (Axe mode) I can combo what I call "the psycho attack": my hunter swings the weapon like a maniac and it drains stamina tremendously. Is it any good? I guess I would send other hunters on a flight...

I'll do some arena, thanks. I usually get my best times with the dual blades, let's see if this Axe can compete...
That stamina move is generally regarded as the worst move the SA has, or at least it was in Tri, I think it was buffed a bit in 3U but it seems the consensus didn't change. If you want a constant barrage for traps/para, the sword vertical one-two is better (just make sure you're always good on sword juice by doing the manual load).

The burst just doesn't do enough raw damage. It does hit a lot of times in a short time frame, which makes it good for elemental damage, but only if the monster is very weak to it. It also burns through sharpness.

Pila

That stamina move is generally regarded as the worst move the SA has, or at least it was in Tri, I think it was buffed a bit in 3U but it seems the consensus didn't change. If you want a constant barrage for traps/para, the sword vertical one-two is better (just make sure you're always good on sword juice by doing the manual load).

The burst just doesn't do enough raw damage. It does hit a lot of times in a short time frame, which makes it good for elemental damage, but only if the monster is very weak to it. It also burns through sharpness.
It doesn't sound like the best weapon ever in your description ^^ I'll do my best, I can't watch at that "0" on my guild card, I spent too much time playing only DB...

Best skills for the thing? Sharpness+1 is a given. Thanks for your help, hunter.

upandaway

Well it is really good at cutting tails and it can get to high DPS, it's just that they didn't really balance the moveset correctly, and it's misleading what moves to use and not to.

Someone else will probably be able to answer better about skills, the best I think about is:
Sharpness+1
Quick Sheathe
Evade Extender
HG/Earplugs

To each his own dude, I can't imagine not playing the game in 3D. The resolution bothers me not :)

I can definitely appreciate playing in HD on a large screen though.

people who can enjoy the 3D are so blessed. for some reason it just totally kills my eyes. idk if it's cuz I wear strong glasses since i'm super blind or not. maybe i just have a weakling face.

also I don't understand people who play alone on a server without passwording the room or anything obviously in need of help and then when you bless them with your presence they immediately boot you. whyyyyy. am I not manly enough? what is with these kids

Wolfe

also I don't understand people who play alone on a server without passwording the room or anything obviously in need of help and then when you bless them with your presence they immediately boot you. whyyyyy. am I not manly enough? what is with these kids

Yeah I don't get that either, especially as someone on 3DS that can't play online :p, now that I'm in another state from the friends I played with regularly it's kind of hard to find the motivation to solo shit like abyssal lagia and lambent nargacuga given how time consuming each hunt is. I mean why even play online at all if that's all you're gonna do when someone joins.

And yes given how much I enjoy the 3D on these games (I honestly never play any games at anything but max 3D) I'm very grateful that I don't have any issues with it. Granted it is still easy to lose the "sweet spot" especially when getting into a game like MonHun but I've gotten used to holding it in the right spot well and adjusting quickly if things get a little squirrely due to intense gameplay action and all that :p

Waiting until next year for 4U is gonna be tough.

Insaniac

Well it is really good at cutting tails and it can get to high DPS, it's just that they didn't really balance the moveset correctly, and it's misleading what moves to use and not to.

Someone else will probably be able to answer better about skills, the best I think about is:
Sharpness+1
Quick Sheathe
Evade Extender
HG/Earplugs

Well, ideally you'll want to aim for the Narga Swax Mizer's Asterism which has build in +1 sharpness, power phial, high raw, and 30% affinity

I don't think Quick sheathe is necessary for Swax especially if you have evade extender. Evasion +1/+2 is always good too because the Swax is pretty evade friendly

I run a Azure Rath set with Mizer's and I have +3 crit eye, Mind's Eye, Earplugs and AuL for maximum DPS. things get wrekt

Wolfe

Well, ideally you'll want to aim for the Narga Swax Mizer's Asterism which has build in +1 sharpness, power phial, high raw, and 30% affinity

I don't think Quick sheathe is necessary for Swax especially if you have evade extender. Evasion +1/+2 is always good too because the Swax is pretty evade friendly

I run a Azure Rath set with Mizer's and I have +3 crit eye, Mind's Eye, Earplugs and AuL for maximum DPS. things get wrekt

It amuses me how often I fall back on my Azure Rath set, the +3 crit and Mind's Eye are a hell of a drug. I think I have mine gemmed for HG earplugs and Evasion +1 or 2 also.

Anura

You could also do the Miralis set and get crit eye +3, AuL, Gloves off +1 and sturdy. Sturdy gives a better earplugs effect than the skill earplugs (except for HG obviously) and gloves off is nice when it activates.

Wolfe

You could also do the Miralis set and get crit eye +3, AuL, Gloves off +1 and sturdy. Sturdy gives a better earplugs effect than the skill earplugs (except for HG obviously) and gloves off is nice when it activates.

Miralis is actually the next set I want to make, fuckin 40 minute fights as hammer though /snore

tuffy

Rock Steady is so sexy. The description doesn't say much tho.
Not only is Rock Steady like mid-grade earplugs, but it also makes you recover much faster when hit. That's usually awesome - except it also lets you recover just fast enough to get hit by both blasts when Miralis decides to target you with two fireballs in a row. It also lets you recover fast enough to take multiple hits from Abyssal Lagi's thunder aura.

It's one of those rare positive skills that may be worse to have around.

upandaway

Not only is Rock Steady like mid-grade earplugs, but it also makes you recover much faster when hit. That's usually awesome - except it also lets you recover just fast enough to get hit by both blasts when Miralis decides to target you with two fireballs in a row. It also lets you recover fast enough to take multiple hits from Abyssal Lagi's thunder aura.

It's one of those rare positive skills that may be worse to have around.
Also lets you get hit by Jho's dragon breathe if he starts breathing immediately after sending you flying. Normally it would pass over you a split second before you can fully get up.

Anura

Also lets you get hit by Jho's dragon breathe if he starts breathing immediately after sending you flying. Normally it would pass over you a split second before you can fully get up.

I have had the miralis and A lagi thing happen to me but not something like this with Jho. Did you roll into it as soon as you got up? Rolling immediately after getting up gives you an evade +2 effect. Miralis staggers his shots and A lagi's hitbox lingers for a while but jhos breath isn't really active for that long if you roll towards it. Like I said though this never happened to me so I don't know what kind of position and time gap you were put in.

upandaway

I have had the miralis and A lagi thing happen to me but not something like this with Jho. Did you roll into it as soon as you got up? Rolling immediately after getting up gives you an evade +2 effect. Miralis staggers his shots and A lagi's hitbox lingers for a while but jhos breath isn't really active for that long if you roll towards it. Like I said though this never happened to me so I don't know what kind of position and time gap you were put in.
I only fought Jho in a regular quest like three times, and it happened once when I tried the skill, so I don't know if it was a really low chance. If I remember right he just did a tackle into a backstep and immediate dragon breathe as I was getting up. When I'm in the arena I'm in the exact same situation a lot and it never hits me because I get up just barely too slow.

PKrockin

A couple of basic armors can't hurt, imho, unless you already know how decorations and skills work. You don't wanna forge a lot of low rank armors though, they are going to be useless later in the game.

I used the starting Leather armor un-upgraded for the entirety of LR, and then an un-upgraded LR armor of Diablos for the entirety of HR. Then G Rank kicked me so hard that I had to get a G Rank armor upgraded to max before even getting to HR7.

That said, I liked the difficulty with the armor choices I had during LR and HR. For LR I also restricted myself to potions instead of mega potions, and it was pretty fun. The monster parts it saved me meant I had lots of weapons across lots of classes.
I'm up to the five-star Moga Village quests now and it's starting to get tougher, I did fail the Lagacrius hunt and that monster in the volcano area that rolls and smashes you with its jaw. I love my Lagombi armor though, that evade distance boost is so good.

I've been trying out the lance since the hammer's range is giving me problems underwater, and it seems great too. Stab stab sidestep, stab stab stab block, stab stab sidestep... I can just stick to the monster like glue and attack constantly, rather than dodging and charging so much for a fully charged hammer slam. Turning and doing a backstep covers ground surprisingly fast with +EvadeDistance too. Once you get some experience with the game it's amazing to go back to that weapon you thought was awful and have your opinion completely reversed.

Insaniac

don't have access to Athena right now, can anyone recommend a good block Lance set with sharpness +1? (best I have is handicraft +4 talisman)

Anura

You could do so much better for guard lancing. Try this http://mhag.info/mhtrig/viewset.htm...15.1.62.W.281.2.62.61.L.221.1.61.Y.0.1.48.4.0

I use a similar set for my awaken guard lances (Only difference is my set has speed sharpener). The three lances worth awakening (Black blos, Rust Duram and the crystal lance) all have at least two slots letting you experiment further if you ever get a better charm.

Quadratic

I'm going to be making a room online if anyone wants to join in. I'll probably stay on for 2 hours or so. I'm open to pretty much anything.

Just soloing nox with LBG until people show up.

Free Play 3 Lobby 9

NeoGAF : password GAF

Top Bottom