• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Ridley327

Good hunts to all participants tonight!

I don't think anyone got any Los Mantles, but hey, at least we creamed them in record time!

Ultratech

I don't think anyone got any Los Mantles, but hey, at least we creamed them in record time!

Yeah, no Mantles here.

Desire Sensor is toying with my emotions. (Not to mention I was playing like crap tonight.)

"I want Rathian Mantles."
-NOPE.
*Rains Uragaan Palliums*
"Dammit."

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, no Mantles here.

Desire Sensor is toying with my emotions. (Not to mention I was playing like crap tonight.)

"I want Rathian Mantles."
-NOPE.
*Rains Uragaan Palliums*
"Dammit."

I know that feel man. When I decide to try and hunt down Jho he's a no show. So I give up and do the Crimson Querpoco (or however it's spelled) hunt and guess who shows the fuck up? It's at this point I learned that dung bombs don't work on Jho.

taybul

Actually...I got 3 in those runs. And of course, I wasn't really looking for them. Oddly enough, I'm one Azure lash short of making the set. Good hunt though tonight. I'll be down next time if you guys want to do los runs again.

Ridley327

Actually...I got 3 in those runs. And of course, I wasn't really looking for them. Oddly enough, I'm one Azure lash short of making the set. Good hunt though tonight. I'll be down next time if you guys want to do los runs again.

Clearly, this is retribution for my luck last night with Cloudy Moonshards.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay no seriously, fuck this bullshit quest. If I didn't look up on the internet what I had to do I would have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Apparently I'm supposed to "break his beard". Where is that ever hinted at? Cha-Cha says something vague like "attack to make him weaker", which is super helpful, that's only what I've spent the entire game going. And if you don't you suddenly fail fifteen minutes in with the descriptive message "you failed to rout the elder dragon"? Why? Fuck if the game's going to tell you.

I had to go to the internet to learn that I had to break his beard of all things (his horn I might have at least attempted, but I never would have given the beard a shot) and to learn that damage carries over between attempts. Without those two pieces of information which the game does not give you I might have just put the game down here and now and said "I don't feel like figuring this utterly arbitrary pile of bullshit out"

taybul

Clearly, this is retribution for my luck last night with Cloudy Moonshards.

haha the other night I also got a Narga Mantle and Moonstone as rewards in a single run. I think I'm due for a dry spell.
Okay no seriously, fuck this bullshit quest. If I didn't look up on the internet what I had to do I would have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Apparently I'm supposed to "break his beard". Where is that ever hinted at? Cha-Cha says something vague like "attack to make him weaker", which is super helpful, that's only what I've spent the entire game going. And if you don't you suddenly fail fifteen minutes in with the descriptive message "you failed to rout the elder dragon"? Why? Fuck if the game's going to tell you.

I had to go to the internet to learn that I had to break his beard of all things (his horn I might have at least attempted, but I never would have given the beard a shot) and to learn that damage carries over between attempts. Without those two pieces of information which the game does not give you I might have just put the game down here and now and said "I don't feel like figuring this utterly arbitrary pile of bullshit out"
I don't think you necessarily need to break his beard. First time I did it I stuck to his horns with a hammer. I'm pretty sure I didn't break his beard. I still lost, however, but only because I ran out of time.

The Technomancer

I don't think you necessarily need to break his beard. First time I did it I stuck to his horns with a hammer. I'm pretty sure I didn't break his beard. I still lost, however, but only because I ran out of time.

The truly inexcusable one in my eyes is not telling me that damage carries over between attempts. Without that I would have probably tried twice, maybe three times, and then said "I never even make visual progress, I just can't do this"

taybul

The truly inexcusable one in my eyes is not telling me that damage carries over between attempts. Without that I would have probably tried twice, maybe three times, and then said "I never even make visual progress, I just can't do this"

It's probably more for the story's sake but I was also surprised when I went in on my second attempt and saw his horn still broken from my previous. I then proceeded to repel in around 7 minutes.

Blade of Tartarus is so good! High rank Rathalos killed in 5 minutes with no items.

Desire sensor in full effect, got a medulla and a ruby and all I was doing the quest for was a scale for the mask, lol

edit: after buying the mask I have exactly 6666 resource points O_O

double edit: I can add one of these skills, which is best?

Stun resistance
Tremor res(low)
protection
sharpener
dragon res
perception

I'm leaning towards stun or tremor res, but they all seem useful.

Right now I have :

Sharpness +1
Evade +2
HG Earplugs

RobbieNick

The Quest Sweetheart tell you this herself.

I do sympathize with you. Every copy of this game should come with a trategy Guide or a warning. "You WILL need the internet to beat this game!"

The Technomancer

Okay, with the Caedeus fight does actual incremental damage carry over, or is it just discrete things like "horn is broken"?

This stupid thing is not fun. I have played the actual Caedeus fight with friends, and its decently fun. This long ass, slow ass, "have to do it a half dozen times" ass chase through the trenches is not.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Okay, with the Caedeus fight does actual incremental damage carry over, or is it just discrete things like "horn is broken"?

This stupid thing is not fun. I have played the actual Caedeus fight with friends, and its decently fun. This long ass, slow ass, "have to do it a half dozen times" ass chase through the trenches is not.

Just break his beard, grab ballista ammo, hit him with it til he enrages, dragonator, then repeat ballista until dragonator recharges.

The Technomancer

Just break his beard,
I'm trying. I can't! I wail on him with my horn four like for straight attempts that conclude in failure and still nothing. I'm sick of doing this with no visible progress. It takes me thirty seconds to get in position to make like two attacks and then his goddamn fins knock me back into my slow ass "oh noooo I got touched by a fin I'm going to hang in the water for six seconds" animation

grab ballista ammo, hit him with it til he enrages, dragonator, then repeat ballista until dragonator recharges.

I don't mind that part. That parts kinda fun. I can't get to that part

The Technomancer

No seriously, this sucks. It is not fun. It is not interesting. It controls horribly. My hunter has amazing amounts of trouble swimming up and down, even while holding B. There is not one redeeming feature about this. I dare anyone to defend this shit, on any level. I dare you. Do it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Thinking about doing Brachydios farm in a bit. Anyone up for it?

The Technomancer

I killed Diablos in like 30 minutes on my first try. I'm hardly underequipped for this fight. And yet I have now spent six attempts wailing on his beard with my Lagia horn and NOTHING.

I am wasting my time

Kyzon

No seriously, this sucks. It is not fun. It is not interesting. It controls horribly. My hunter has amazing amounts of trouble swimming up and down, even while holding B. There is not one redeeming feature about this. I dare anyone to defend this shit, on any level. I dare you. Do it.

Move camera to the underside or overside of your hunter, press forward. You are now swimming up or down. No, it's not easy, and no it's not going to get less clunky. After a while though you'll be swimming circles around monsters underwater... Until you have to dodge, then you'll just go the direction that is most inconvenient.

Soooooooo I beat Ivory, and had to watch the credits. The ending movie was funny, but damn, those credits went on for a while. Good music though.

The Technomancer

Move camera to the underside or overside of your hunter, press forward. You are now swimming up or down. No, it's not easy, and no it's not going to get less clunky. After a while though you'll be swimming circles around monsters underwater... Until you have to dodge, then you'll just go the direction that is most inconvenient.

If I move the camera under my hunter pressing any direction should move me up and in that direction. Pressing back on the circle pad should not cause me to swim down.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
If I move the camera under my hunter pressing any direction should move me up and in that direction. Pressing back on the circle pad should not cause me to swim down.

Technically, if you are angled up, you are changing your complete angle of swim. So, moving back should move you down.

I killed Diablos in like 30 minutes on my first try. I'm hardly underequipped for this fight. And yet I have now spent six attempts wailing on his beard with my Lagia horn and NOTHING.

I am wasting my time
Just stop attempting the fight, and do something else. Build an armor, collect some resources, do some mining.

Then, watch a YouTube guide on Ceadeus.

Then, consider anything - a weapon change/upgrade, maybe some tactics, maybe a change of venue in which you play to make yourself more comfortable.

Then attempt it again when you feel ready.

I've had the same experience with several monsters (last one was double Brachydios), and I found that I did better when I gave it some time, instead of rushing to beat the fight and carting. Plus, I don't have a GamePad to switch to as I'm on 3DS lol

The Technomancer

Technomancer, I take it you're on the 3DS?

Yup, and this is the first time underwater controls have been a problem. Not even Lagicrus phased me. But this is misery

Just stop attempting the fight, and do something else. Build an armor, collect some resources, do some mining.

Then, watch a YouTube guide on Ceadeus.

Then, consider anything - a weapon change/upgrade, maybe some tactics, maybe a change of venue in which you play to make yourself more comfortable.

Then attempt it again when you feel ready.
I don't know what to change. My armor is fine. I'm using basically the strongest electric weapon I can equip at this point. My tactics are "swim up alongside his beard and hit it" and I really don't see what else I can do

The Technomancer

When I stopped him, I don't think I cut his beard. I think I just broke one of his horns. I may be wrong.

When I googled it like the first ten results all said "break his beard", so that's what I've been working on. I have to assume at this point that "damage carries over" means "discrete breakages" and not "numerical damage" because there's no fucking way that his beard is supposed to take this much sustained damage.

Hattori

Banned
50MrqXWl.jpg
I feel so cool in my artian armor :) It's kinda nice being different

The Technomancer

It doesn't help that his hitbox is terrible. Seriously, did they change his model with a week left and forget to update the hitbox? There are times where I clip through him so badly that I can see inside him, and other times where I'm trying to swim over some part of his body and its like I'm swimming against an invisible wall.

Actually, hitboxes in this game in general are fucking horrible. There are plenty of times where I can't catch him because I'm pressed up against the invisible influence of a rock that's apparently like five feet to my right, and plenty of times in other missions where running against invisible geometry has led to me fainting

Except when it comes to most monsters of course. If my charged hammer attack lands two inches to the left of a Lagicrus' toe then the boxes are so tight they're almost the same as the model

thetrin

Hey man, try the psp iterations of the game and you'll be immensely thankful for the hitboxes we have now.

LOL so true. Not a fantastic defense of the game's issues, but yes, it has vastly improved.

matm666

Some people can be assholes on line! I created a Hollowed Jhen room name it "need quest" cause I dont have it yet, this guy post quest, we are ready to go and as soon as he knows I dont have the quest he laughs and abandon the room! I have killed HJ several times I just dont have the quest yet.

Ken

Some people can be assholes on line! I created a Hollowed Jhen room name it "need quest" cause I dont have it yet, this guy post quest, we are ready to go and as soon as he knows I dont have the quest he laughs and abandon the room! I have killed HJ several times I just dont have the quest yet.

Eh? What a jerk.

Caedeus isn't that terrible.

ryz

Why did you leave, ryz? I wasn't angry with you at all! Just mad that we got close enough to victory for it to be painful.

Sorry! Did you guys talk via the mic? Because if so, i didn't hear you. Chatting with myself felt a little awkward and after losing i decided to leave! But we should try this again :)

vareon

Beaten Mark of a Hero in the first try
with G rank equipment because I'm weak ;_;

Next is Alatreon. Since I have faced Hallowed Jhen once, the only monster I haven't fought is the Abyssal Lagiacrus. Then I am done with the game...

LukeSmith

Started messing around with Dual Swords today, got some good luck with gems/pallum and built the Slicers al the way up through the Spectral Demolisher dual blades in a couple hours

So, I just got this game. I'm a complete novice, never played any Monster Hunter before this one. Any tips?

Be patient. And keep an open mind. Everything seems insanely difficult at the start. Be prepared for a 5 hour learning curve.

Once you pick it up, it is highly rewarding.

Fewr

Strange, I did Ceadeus on 3ds and whilst checking no one would catch me playing at work. First attempt I cut beard then run out of time in last phase because I spent the whole time swimming around looking for the ballista thing, second time I got the horns and finished tihe quest.

Have you tried using the long sword? Ceadeus is weak to lightning no? If so then I might have used the chainsaw-looking long sword. I find long sword combat is similar to hunting horn, so you wouldn't have much trouble adapting.

For armor, I was probably using Lagi or Gobul, no upgrades for either.

So, I just got this game. I'm a complete novice, never played any Monster Hunter before this one. Any tips?
Be very patient, especially when learning how things work in the game. Don't hesitate to ask here whatever you need to know, no matter how dumb the question might seem, when I started I didn't even know where to go to start a quest. I know I wouldn't have gotten this far without felow gaffers advice.

Try all the weapons before you decide which to use, and check the charm table issue in case you have ocd or are a min/maxer. (Or even if you're not, just to be aware of it).

EDIT: 5hr learning curve? I think it took me 30-40hrs to feel comfortable with most things in the game lol.

Fistwell

I ate before an arena quest and somehow stole coins or something. I'M TERRIBLE!
lol it's all in good fun, we were just messing around. You get coins as rewards for arena fights, one of us thought he had gotten some but then he could not find them anymore somehow. Since your name was Mario something, we decided you obviously took them cause, well, Mario collects coins, everyone knows that! Don't take it personal, we were just dicking around! :D

also

Banned
Can someone please help me? I recently bought a 16gb SanDisk Ultra Class 10 SD card, and the save times are up to 15 seconds! Is there something I can do like formatting the SD card to fix the save time? I know it shouldn't be taking this long to save

Try this
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

When I googled it like the first ten results all said "break his beard", so that's what I've been working on. I have to assume at this point that "damage carries over" means "discrete breakages" and not "numerical damage" because there's no fucking way that his beard is supposed to take this much sustained damage.

The quest has 2 phases. In the first Ceadeus swims forward and you indeed have to break its beard, otherwise you will fail. In the second phase you have to break its horns to repel him. Damage will only carry over if you make it to the second phase. If you fail to kill it in the second phase, you can use a short-cut in the starting area to immediately reach it, so that you don't waste 10 minutes swimming.

This is the worst fight in the game, so good luck and don't give up.

Haunted

There's a ton of things that's just "established" in Monster Hunter and the game never bothers to tell you, like damage to Elder Dragons carrying over between quests (for Ceadeus, that's damage sustained in the second phase of the quest).

Doesn't help that Ceadeus is indeed one of the most boring fights in the game. Honestly, what it comes down to is dps and a good Fire/Dragon weapon. So if all else fails, leave the quest alone for a while, go and play online and come back with improved equipment, higher dps weapons from the G-Rank stuff for example.

Haunted

Good luck! Don't be afraid to ask or look up stuff online if anything is unclear.

Try out different melee weapon classes. If you feel too slow and sluggish, try the Sword and Shield and Dual Blades. If you feel you're not doing damage, try the Hammer and Greatsword. If you feel you're no good at dodging, try Lance or Gunlance.

The game has a steep learning curve, but it's oh so rewarding once it clicks.

Top Bottom