• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Fewr

Speaking of online, why have some people got their name in white and others in yellow? Are there any other colours?

Mondriaan

I think Ceadeus is supposed to be like a weapon test. If you aren't getting a repel, it means that you're not doing enough damage fast enough.

As far as knowing to hit the beard, you'll probably bounce against pretty much the rest of him. Cead is one of the biggest reasons that underwater sucks, though.

Fistwell

Speaking of online, why have some people got their name in white and others in yellow? Are there any other colours?
Don't remember exactly, goes roughly something like:

Low Rank: white
High Rank: yellow
G Rank: orange
HR8+: red
HR100+: purple

More or less. Dunno if there are other colors, like for HR999 or something.

DaBoss

Man, I'm so glad MH4 is getting rid of underwater combat for one reason...underwater arenas go away.

Don't remember exactly, goes roughly something like:

Low Rank: white
High Rank: yellow
G Rank: orange
HR8+: red
HR100+: purple

More or less. Dunno if there are other colors, like for HR999 or something.

There probably is another color for HR999.

Comandr

So I'm minding my own business, collecting some oil samples, and then

BAM!!

45f939467951ff4c1cd4e72b33813c00.jpg

This guy shows up and starts trolling me. I tried fighting him with my Baron's Blazon gunlance, and the game of cat and mouse just takes too long, and I ended up almost timing out before just ignoring him and completing my mission. Can anyone recommend a specific weapon or type to combat him effectively?

Also I'm open to doing missions online, I'm only HR 3 but I'd be happy to help with lower rank missions or whatever.

also

Banned
So, I just got this game. I'm a complete novice, never played any Monster Hunter before this one. Any tips?

First make sure to read about charm tables.

Tons of useful links.

Try out all the weapons and see which you like.

Keep your weapon upgraded.

Always eat food before setting out on a quest. 1 star = 10 additional HP, for a maximum of 50 additional HP (your default HP values is 100). If the ingredient is fresh you will also gain a stamina boost and the food skills are more likely to activate. You improve the quality (stars) of the food by doing quests labelled [Canteen] and you increase the variety of the ingredients by fulfilling village requests.

Keep your stamina boosted by using energy drinks or steaks (well done>rare>burnt). To get a well done steak, wait for the music to end and then stop cooking as soon as the steak changes color (watch the bone).

In low rank there's a a blue chest with supplies in the starting area. Use them.

Use paintballs to keep track of the monster's whereabouts. Especially useful if the monster can fly.

Use dung bombs to force a monster to leave the area (it may take a while). Really useful when there are 2 larger monster in the same area. You can also use dung bombs to break free when monsters pin you down.

Skills:
Armor and charms (you get them by mining and as quest rewards) have skill points. A skill is only active if it reaches 10 points (some also become more effective at 15 and 20 points) and it will only negatively affect you if it reaches -10. Armor and charms also have slots for decorations, i.e., gems that give (and subtract) skill points.
For some reason, skill points and skills have different names. So 10 perception points will give you capture guru, 10 attack points will give you Attack Up (S)...

How to capture a monster:
When you lower its HP so that it's almost dead, it will start limping (and usually continuously make a noise) and try to swim/crawl/fly to the area it sleeps in. Let it go to sleep and then place a trap next to it and throw 2 tranquil bombs. The monster doesn't have to go to sleep for the capture to be successful, but then you risk the monster leaving the area just as you set your trap. One player can only set one trap at a time, so you will have to wait ~5 minutes for the trap to self destruct. Alternatively, you can use dung bombs to try to get the monster to go back to the area with the trap.
If you placed the trap too early and the monster isn't captured after 2 tranquillizer bombs, start attacking it. You may lower its HP just enough to capture it before it manages to escape the trap.
Always bring both shock and pitfall traps but try to save the latter because they are harder to obtain.
If you have trouble determining when a monster is ready for capture, there's a skill called Capture Gure (Perception). Use paintballs to keep the monster marked and its icon (pink circle) will start to flash when it's ready for capture.

You can complete quests where you have to hunt a monster by capturing them. You must capture a monster on capture quests.

Carving and capturing offer different sets of possible rewards or at least different chances to get them. Depending on what you need, it may be better to carve or capture. (I prefer capturing myself because I can finish quests quicker)

The rewards you get after successfully completing a quest are divided into 2 categories. The first two red rows (A and B) are quest specific. The other blue rows are break and capture rewards. For each monster you capture, you get 3 capture rewards (there's a skill that increases the number of rewards) and for each monster's part you break, (it will sound like a small explosion) you get a break reward. Different monsters have different parts you can break; face, beak, wings (have to break both for it to count), claws, horns...

You can cut off and carve the tails of most monsters. Not possible with Great Jaggi, Great Wroggi, Great Baggi, Qurupeco, Gobul, Plesioth and the giant elder dragons. Hammer and hunting horn can't cut tails. A cut tail won't disappear until the end of the quest, so it's better to wait for the monster to leave the area than to rush and try to carve it right away.

You can upgrade the defense of armor with armor spheres. If you find an armor you like, don't hesitate to upgrade it. You should only conserve Tru armor spheres (only available in G rank).

The quests in the village are divided into LR (low rank, lv.1-5) and HR (high rank 5-9). Similarily in the port LR (1-2), HR (3-5) and GR (G rank, 6-8). You advance between quest levels by completing all the Key quests on a given level and its urgent quest.
List of key quest:
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3U:_Village_Quests
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3U:_Guild_Quests
Each quest gives you a certain amount of HR (hunter rank) points and once you obtain enough points, your hunter rank increases. You will only see your true Hunter rank when you reach G rank Lv. 8. Before that your hunter rank matches your highest level in the port.

Monster on different ranks reward different parts and sometimes it's not possible to upgrade a weapon until you reach HR or GR.

Sharpness (the coloured bar on the weapon stats screen)
Purple>white>blue>green>yellow>orange>red
Higher sharpness means more damage and if the sharpness is not high enough, your weapon will bounce. You will still do damage but you will be left more open and your sharpness will decrease much quicker, so it's usually better to attack the parts that don't make your weapon bounce. Keep your weapon sharp using whetstones.

Different parts of monsters have different defence. Check the Wikia linked above for damage analysis of monsters.

Affinity= chance to do a critical hit = 125% the usual damage
You see a critical hit as a pink slash and negative critical hits (75% damage) as blue slashes

You can cart (loose all your HP) up to 3 times while on a quest. After you cart you will loose all your food bonuses (unless you had the skill Feline Foodie) so it might be a good idea to bring (Mega) Nutrients to boost your HP back to 150.

The penalty for abandoning a quest is that you lose the initial fee (and a minimal amount of HR points) and all the items you carved or gathered on the quest, but you regain all the items you used. If you cart 3 times and fail the quest you get to keep all the items you carved or gathered but all the items you used will be gone.

Use the farm for honey; honey + potions = mega potions.

Buy stuff only when the Argosy captain is in town, as you get a 50% discount.

Download all the available DLC; you will get 5000 resource points which are used for farming and the fishing fleet.

You can feed Cha Cha and Kayamba (they join you as you progress in the story) up to two times while on a quest to increase their XP and Mask Mastery Level.

A lot of monsters have specific strategies (when to use a sonic or flash bombs...). Check the Wikia for useful tips.

ryz

I've finally decided to stop playing, at least for a while (I may come back when DLC Alatreon can be fought). ~275h playtime. Aside from forging a few endgame weapons/armors and completing the last G rank/advanced quests, there's not much to do for me.

It was awesome hunting with you guys! Thanks for the good time.

taybul

I've finally decided to stop playing, at least for a while (I may come back when DLC Alatreon can be fought). ~275h playtime. Aside from forging a few endgame weapons/armors and completing the last G rank/advanced quests, there's not much to do for me.

It was awesome hunting with you guys! Thanks for the good time.

A while for me is usually about 2 hours. See you later!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
There's a ton of things that's just "established" in Monster Hunter and the game never bothers to tell you, like damage to Elder Dragons carrying over between quests (for Ceadeus, that's damage sustained in the second phase of the quest).

Doesn't help that Ceadeus is indeed one of the most boring fights in the game. Honestly, what it comes down to is dps and a good Fire/Dragon weapon. So if all else fails, leave the quest alone for a while, go and play online and come back with improved equipment, higher dps weapons from the G-Rank stuff for example.

Wait, fire weapon? The wiki says he's weak to electric, which is why I've been bashing him with a Lagia horn and a Vicello Nulo. I mean, I've done the second phase with friends before and I don't mind it. But this first phase, with its bullshit "you failed to repel the dragon" message after ten minutes and absolutely no clue about what I should do, fucking sucks.

And I can't go online, I'm on 3DS. I really need to get to high-rank ASAP. Its getting to the point with friends every week where my low rank armor is finally a liability since g-rank stuff one-shots me.

The Technomancer

Fuck this

Fuck this

FUCK THIS

I just tried using my Peco Flint. Its the only weapon I have right now with blue sharpness, its basically the strongest fire weapon I can make right now without access to High Rank, and I still failed to break his beard.

This is BADLY DESIGNED. It is not fun. It is not interesting. It is not challenging. The controls are miserable

And yes I said its not challenging. Its just hard. There's a difference.

Please, please, someone defend this to me. Someone say anything other then "that part is an utter piece of shit that needs to be wiped from the game's code"

Ridley327

I don't even think I broke his beard before heading into the second phase of the fight; I just wailed on him and it seemed to work just fine and I got to the second phase just fine.

Then again, I am a GS user, so I'm already doing heaps of damage, so I dunno.

ultron87

It really is an awful awful fight. And then they only give you 35 minutes just to super fuck with you. Though I never had trouble getting him to the final room.

Ridley327

Also, not to brag, but I got the whole thing done in less than 20 minutes. You definitely do need to break the horn, but they give you plenty of time and opportunities to do that.

Mileena

Banned
Fuck this

Fuck this

FUCK THIS

I just tried using my Peco Flint. Its the only weapon I have right now with blue sharpness, its basically the strongest fire weapon I can make right now without access to High Rank, and I still failed to break his beard.

This is BADLY DESIGNED. It is not fun. It is not interesting. It is not challenging. The controls are miserable

Please, please, someone defend this to me. Someone say anything other then "that part is an utter piece of shit that needs to be wiped from the game's code"

It's a terrible fight. I said it before, but they need to re-design the big scale fights in this game. None of them are fun to play at all, just a complete snoozefest.

The Technomancer

Also, not to brag, but I got the whole thing done in less than 20 minutes. You definitely do need to break the horn, but they give you plenty of time and opportunities to do that.

Break the horn when? Every second source I read says something different. Should I be trying to break his beard in the first half? His horn? Both? Can the horn not be broken until the second phase? Does damage carry over between attempts at the first phase, or just the second? I've found sources that say all of those things

See Capcom, this is the problem with not including information in your game and leaving it to the internet to fill in the gaps. The internet can't agree

Break the horn when? Every second source I read says something different. Should I be trying to break his beard in the first half? His horn? Both? Can the horn not be broken until the second phase? Does damage carry over between attempts at the first phase, or just the second? I've found sources that say all of those things

See Capcom, this is the problem with not including information in your game and leaving it to the internet to fill in the gaps. The internet can't agree

Calm down man. Beard in the first half, horn in the second. Period.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It's a terrible fight. I said it before, but they need to re-design the big scale fights in this game. None of them are fun to play at all, just a complete snoozefest.
They were terrible in the PSP games as well. Though I'm expecting good things out of MH4 with jumping attacks and monster mounting.

The Technomancer

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57481518]Calm down man. Beard in the first half, horn in the second. Period.[/QUOTE]

Okay.

Still can't do it, but at least I know definitively what I can't do now.

The Technomancer

What if you tried using some large bombs (+) and detonating them with an attack? I think bombs are relatively strong in LR/HR.

I can try, but considering that I can barely land two attacks on his beard currently without him swimming forward so far that his fins clip me I'm really not optimistic about being able to place and set off a bomb

Mileena

Banned
Techno, my advice is get help from people online. If 3DS, contemplate why you chose that version while retrying that terrible fight over and over till you get it.

The Technomancer

Use a Lightning/Dragon weapon. Attack its beard non-stop. Watch a video if you need more help.

I've been using my Lagia Horn and Vicello Nulo, which are about as strong of lightning weapons as I can make right now. As far as I can tell from the video I watched the player did exactly what I did with the Lagia Hammer: hit his beard over and over. And yet somehow it doesn't work for me.

I can't attack the beard non-stop though. It doesn't matter if I attack from either side or from the bottom, after two or three attacks he moves forward and his fin clips me and I waste thirty seconds getting back into position.

Mm, I just kinda lucked through that fight. Lost because I didn't know what the Dragonator did, missed, and it didn't recharge in time.

Jhen Mohren fight fucking sucked, though. Maybe five tries before I had to look it up and a couple more before success.

DaBoss

I've been using my Lagia Horn and Vicello Nulo, which are about as strong of lightning weapons as I can make right now. As far as I can tell from the video I watched the player did exactly what I did with the Lagia Hammer: hit his beard over and over. And yet somehow it doesn't work for me.

I can't attack the beard non-stop though. It doesn't matter if I attack from either side or from the bottom, after two or three attacks he moves forward and his fin clips me and I waste thirty seconds getting back into position.

What's the attack power of the weapons?

Yea, you're gonna probably have 3-5 hits before it moves.

Have you tried anything other than a Hunting Horn & Hammer?

Arveene

Neo Member

I can't tell for sure obviously, but I think you might be trying to squeeze in more attacks than you can. After you get an attack or two on his beard dodge the fin. As a HH user, you have the fastest underwater move speed. (I think, it's pretty damn fast either way) Use that to your advantage. He's constantly moving so you have to be as well. The recovery animation from getting hit takes forever and you lose a lot of dps time. Rather than your focus being on attacking him, focus on learning his swim / movement pattern and getting attacks in when you can.

The Technomancer

It was worth it (for me)

Bonus: I already have the system that Super Monster Hunter 4 will likely come out on. Godlike!

Honestly the main reason I bought the 3DS version is that I bought it to play with friends, which I've been doing every Friday night for like three months now, but my lack of high-rank armor is finally a liability now that we're into the g-rank quests.

I can try, but considering that I can barely land two attacks on his beard currently without him swimming forward so far that his fins clip me I'm really not optimistic about being able to place and set off a bomb

Don't use a fire weapon. Cedeus is neutral to fire. He's weak to Electric and Dragon. Attack the beard until it breaks. That is your first target and must be done before it reaches the final area. It'll do a big recoil and you'll see some long strands of fur go flying when you succeed. Try some bounce bombs. They fly like torpedos underwater and aiming them isn't too hard. Combine with a fish to make Bounce Bomb + I think. You can carry a double load of bombs that way or even a triple load if you have the materials to make regular bounce bombs too.

Also, if you are playing on the 3DS without a circle pad pro then yeah, I can see this fight being the pits. Underwater fights really need the second analog for steering.

Edit: Also, what do you have your shakalaka set to do? Finally, if you haven't already been using them, dash juices are your best friend in this fight. You might want to use demon drugs as well to hit harder.

lol it's all in good fun, we were just messing around. You get coins as rewards for arena fights, one of us thought he had gotten some but then he could not find them anymore somehow. Since your name was Mario something, we decided you obviously took them cause, well, Mario collects coins, everyone knows that! Don't take it personal, we were just dicking around! :D

Four coins, I had FOUR COINS. I saw them, put them in my box and they just vanished.

Fuck this

Fuck this

FUCK THIS

Huh? I broke Ceadeus' beard and horn the first time I fought him.

Alrus

If you really can't do it with your actual weapons, I would suggest farming for rustshard in the volcano. Upgraded rusted weapons have the dragon element which is very effective against ceadeus. I beat him on my first try with the upgraded rusted lance.

Mega Dash Juice and Mega Demondrugs are also useful.

Also when you break his beard he will start swimming much faster and that means you'll be able to move to phase 2. Don't forget to use the ballistas and the dragonator, they do better damages than your weapons.

The Technomancer

I can't tell for sure obviously, but I think you might be trying to squeeze in more attacks than you can. After you get an attack or two on his beard dodge the fin. As a HH user, you have the fastest underwater move speed. (I think, it's pretty damn fast either way) Use that to your advantage. He's constantly moving so you have to be as well. The recovery animation from getting hit takes forever and you lose a lot of dps time. Rather than your focus being on attacking him, focus on learning his swim / movement pattern and getting attacks in when you can.

Dodge how? His fins are larger then the amount of distance I get from dodging and his sinusoidal movement pattern means that even if I dodge down the fin still hits me.

Packed up my 3ds. Gotta focus on my last project here. It's a doozy.

It was worth it (for me)

Bonus: I already have the system that Super Monster Hunter 4 will likely come out on. Godlike!

Having a system that might not even get a game that will be played by other people for at least a year is a bonus?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I'm minding my own business, collecting some oil samples, and then

BAM!!

This guy shows up and starts trolling me. I tried fighting him with my Baron's Blazon gunlance, and the game of cat and mouse just takes too long, and I ended up almost timing out before just ignoring him and completing my mission. Can anyone recommend a specific weapon or type to combat him effectively?

Also I'm open to doing missions online, I'm only HR 3 but I'd be happy to help with lower rank missions or whatever.

Oh man I had that happen yesterday. He also shows up when you do the Crimson Qurupeco and that's horrible. Dung bombs don't work, dung bombs don't work...

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57485140]Having a system that might not even get a game that will be played by other people for at least a year is a bonus?[/QUOTE]
It's time for you to study sir.

Did you down Mark of a Hero?

It's time for you to study sir.

Did you down Mark of a Hero?

I haven't tried it again yet. I've only done one or two quick quests since then in between my work. But I know I'll just wind up laying in bed running in circles in the village if I let myself.I actually caught myself zoning out and doing that last night and had to turn the system off.

Top Bottom