• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I want to hear from 3DS owners precicely how they did this fight. What weapons you used, everything. WiiU owners get magical camera controls that actually work, but I need to hear how anyone who had to use this fucking virtual d-pad managed to pull this off.

Even with Dash Juices and Demondrugs I couldn't do it

Fewr

Oh man I had that happen yesterday. He also shows up when you do the Crimson Qurupeco and that's horrible. Dung bombs don't work, dung bombs don't work...
The dung bombs are meant to be used on Qurupedo to take your fight elsewhere, not on the big annoying thing.

EDIT: Like I said, I did the Ceadeus fight on 3ds (no cpp) using most likely the electric chainsaw long sword (the one before rumbalarum or something like that). The cool thing about the long sword in that fight is that you do a few hits then go crazy on the super power then repeat, another thing is that x+a is sort of a retreat move.
I'm no mh expert so I can't guarantee anything, but I can say I chose LS to be my weapon because underwater fights are more bearable with it.

I want to hear from 3DS owners precicely how they did this fight. What weapons you used, everything. WiiU owners get magical camera controls that actually work, but I need to hear how anyone who had to use this fucking virtual d-pad managed to pull this off.

I think I had some ice longsword. I never use the virtual d-pad for anything.

DaBoss

I used some hammer with a fire element. Finished it with about 7 min left. I didn't use lock-on since it is useless against it.

I play on the 3DS XL, no CPP and I'm a hammer user. I don't recall exactly which element hammer I used though. However, I knew it was a shitty mission before I even started it. So I went ahead and read this guide. I did it in one go. I think i took 20+ mins on it.

Good luck!

The Technomancer

So occasionally when I've done enough damage to him he rears back and roars in pain, and I've only ever managed to get him to do this twice in an attempt. I just finally got him to do it a third time, thinking that that would be what was needed to break his fucking beard finally

NNNNNNNOPE

Fuck whoever in development approved this. Whoever said "Fun? No, we can't have players having any fun."
I play on the 3DS XL, no CPP and I'm a hammer user. I don't recall exactly which element hammer I used though. However, I knew it was a shitty mission before I even started it. So I went ahead and read this guide. I did it in one go. I think i took 20+ mins on it.

Good luck!

How the hell does the guy in the video manage to attack him for a good seven or eight seconds? I get about three before he sweeps forward forcing me to dodge or get hit with the fin.

So occasionally when I've done enough damage to him he rears back and roars in pain, and I've only ever managed to get him to do this twice in an attempt. I just finally got him to do it a third time, thinking that that would be what was needed to break his fucking beard finally

NNNNNNNOPE

Fuck whoever in development approved this. Whoever said "Fun? No, we can't have players having any fun."
Damn man. Are you breaking his beard at all? I've never heard of someone having such a hard time with this.

Rumbalarum is still the funniest (and most descriptive) name for a weapon.

And I don't recall having to break the beard at all - I didn't even aim for the beard, I hit Ceadeus's body most of the time. And I used Snow Slicers.

I say just hit the guy a lot.

Beats

Finally got some Artian Greaves X and managed to make a set with:

Razor Sharp
Sharpness+1
Awaken
Status Attack+2 or Evasion +1 for weapons with no status effects.

Also, I'm really liking the SnS. I always thought it was really weak, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Razor Sharp
Sharpness+1
Awaken

Also, I'm really liking the SnS. I always thought it was really weak, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.
SnS is the most "in your face" weapon in the game. You're just all over the monster, constantly. I like to status SnS because I can stay in while others need to back down, and then paralysis opens the monster up for everyone. Team play, all the way!

The Technomancer

And I don't recall having to break the beard at all - I didn't even aim for the beard, I hit Ceadeus's body most of the time. And I used Snow Slicers.

I need like three other people to verify you don't need to break his beard before I spend another six hours trying that.

Razor Sharp
Sharpness+1
Awaken

What set is that?

I need like three other people to verify you don't need to break his beard before I spend another six hours trying that.
Of course you don't. What monster has ever required that you break something to kill it?

My credential: full HR and LR Helios in Monster Hunter Tri, which took 50+ Ceadeus kills offline.

What does the ultimate mask do other than block a bunch of everything?
He's invincible, and after a while he gets a long enrage period where he's also invincible. Very handy. Against some monsters, it's the only solid choice. I wish there were some way to give the Shakalakas elemental resistances, because the last 2 village quests decimate anything that isn't in an Ultimate Mask.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

No ccp, used the lagia longsword as far as I could upgrade it at that point, broke his beard no problem then just kept attacking him in the 2nd half, and the dragonator instantly broke off his horn for me.

If you're having trouble you could make a lance, I used the ancient one later when I needed to farm it a bit and it was much easier control-wise. Now I just hbg though since that just destroys elder dragons.

taybul

I think at this point you just need to focus on hitting him at all. Even when I was going for his horns during the "routing" phase, I had to catch up a lot but still managed to get him to the final phase on the first attempt. I didn't even bother going for his beard since I was using a hammer.

Like everyone here and in other places has said that I need to break his beard in order to get to the second phase of the fight

Wait, who here says you need to break his beard. I think everyone's saying the opposite. Also, is it even possible with a hammer? I always thought you needed cutting damage, not impact to break his beard.

Fewr

Any tips for the 9star quests where they require killing sets of 3 monsters? I haven't even been able to do the 3giggnox quest yet, I'm scared of multiple monster quests.

Should I be more aggressive? Conservative? Help!

The Technomancer

Wait, who here says you need to break his beard. I think everyone's saying the opposite. Also, is it even possible with a hammer? I always thought you needed cutting damage, not impact to break his beard.
The video posted a few posts up says you need to break his beard. Like two dozen questions on GameFAQs say you need to break his beard to get to phase two, and I think a handful of people on here have said the same thing.

Are you

fucking

kidding

me

Like everyone here and in other places has said that I need to break his beard in order to get to the second phase of the fight
If you've never broken his beard, what has been happening to you? I'm honestly confused, because phase two always commences regardless of whether you broke the beard or not (or at least it did in Tri). Breaking his beard just makes him rush to phase two, because he gets angry and rushes through the first section. He'll go to the ruins no matter what, because there's just nowhere else for him to go.

Alternatively, I could be wrong, and maybe I've just broken his beard every single time I've fought him. I don't think that's the case, though. The broken beard just moves things along faster.

Anyway, the real way to break his beard in the first phase is to find this nice little nook between the horn and his face. Your character gets lodged into the monster's character model, and he carries you along with him so you never need to reposition except when he flips out and shakes his head or water cannons.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips for the 9star quests where they require killing sets of 3 monsters? I haven't even been able to do the 3giggnox quest yet, I'm scared of multiple monster quests.

Should I be more aggressive? Conservative? Help!
Monsters have vastly reduced health for those so you really shouldn't worry about running out of time, just bring dung bombs and make sure to focus on one at a time.

The Technomancer

If you've never broken his beard, what has been happening to you? I'm honestly confused, because phase two always commences regardless of whether you broke the beard or not (or at least it did in Tri). Breaking his beard just makes him rush to phase two, because he gets angry and rushes through the first section. He'll go to the ruins no matter what, because there's just nowhere else for him to go.

I wail on him for ten minutes, he gets to the entrance to area three or whatever and then I get the "you failed to rout the elder dragon" message

Beats

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57491898]What set is that?[/QUOTE]

The one with Evasion +1 is this:

Two Slot Weapon
Skull Mask
Gigginox Mail X
Hyuga Kote Prime
Gigginox Faulds X
Artian Greaves X

+5 Handicraft Charm

1x Evasion Jewel 2
3x Evasion Jewel 1

--
The other set with Status Atk+2 is:

Three Slot weapon
Agnaktor Helm X
Gigginox Mail X
Gigginox Vambraces X
H. Koshiate Prime
Artian Greaves X

+5 Handicraft Charm

2x Disabler Jewel 2
3x Disabler Jewel 1

There are a good number of alternate sets for the same skills, but I'm just using what I had on me.

I wail on him for ten minutes, he gets to the entrance to area three or whatever and then I get the "you failed to rout the elder dragon" message
My mind is blown. I've played 700 hours between this and MHT, and I did not know that could happen.

Fake Edit: Actually, I did know that at one point, but I forgot. Someone made a post about it on GFAQs in MHT, and it's a running joke about bad DPS.

I'm not sure what to tell you aside from position yourself in the sweet spot I told you about and DPS harder. :p

Ridley327

The video posted a few posts up says you need to break his beard. Like two dozen questions on GameFAQs say you need to break his beard to get to phase two, and I think a handful of people on here have said the same thing.

Are you

fucking

kidding

me

Hence why it's not necessary to break the beard, since that requires cutting damage.

You just need to do enough damage to get him to where he needs to go. Realistically, you just need to come up with a better tactic to keep doing damage to him, so I would recommend focusing on his hood, since it's an easy target, and you can stay on it for nearly all of his attacks.

Hence why it's not necessary to break the beard, since that requires cutting damage.

You just need to do enough damage to get him to where he needs to go. Realistically, you just need to come up with a better tactic to keep doing damage to him, so I would recommend focusing on his hood, since it's an easy target, and you can stay on it for nearly all of his attacks.
The beard can be broken with impact damage just fine. Nothing on Ceadeus requires cutting damage.

The Technomancer

My mind is blown. I've played 700 hours between this and MHT, and I did not know that could happen.

Fake Edit: Actually, I did know that at one point, but I forgot. Someone made a post about it on GFAQs in MHT, and it's a running joke about bad DPS.

I'm not sure what to tell you aside from position yourself in the sweet spot I told you about and DPS harder. :p

Well I might be able to if I really don't have to break his beard. The problem was always that no matter where I attack his beard from it places me in range of his fins, and I either lose time from dodging and swimming back or just getting knocked away

Ridley327

The beard can be broken with impact damage just fine. Nothing on Ceadeus requires cutting damage.

Seriously? That doesn't even make logical sense!

But anyway, the point stands; you don't need to break the beard (trim the beard?) to get him to move to phase 2. Hell, I use a GS and never broke it and he went on his merry way.

Qurupeke

So, the last few days I'm doing quests to reach Mark of Hero. I'm afraid... I have Gold Rath Armor... Is this as hard as they say?

The Technomancer

But anyway, the point stands; you don't need to break the beard (trim the beard?) to get him to move to phase 2. Hell, I use a GS and never broke it and he went on his merry way.

Then I'll say it again: this is the problem with not putting any information in your game and assuming the internet will act as a good resource instead, because I found both several full guides to the fight as well as many many answers to the question online that said, explicitly, you must break his beard to continue

Well I might be able to if I really don't have to break his beard. The problem was always that no matter where I attack his beard from it places me in range of his fins, and I either lose time from dodging and swimming back or just getting knocked away
Don't go for the base of the beard. Go for the front of it. Actually, what I do in phase 1 is I go for his head while nestled between the horn and his hood. The game will carry you down to the beard naturally when he moves forward. Don't go anywhere near the fins. You never want to be near the fins. They make you lose a lot of ground, and are hard as hell to dodge.

With the hammer, you smash the chin so hard that his hair follicles lose their grip!

The game already doesn't make sense in that you "sharpen" blunt weapons to make them do more damage. "Look at my viola hunting horn! It's sharper now!"

So, the last few days I'm doing quests to reach Mark of Hero. I'm afraid... I have Gold Rath Armor... Is this as hard as they say?
You're already cheesing the fight by using G Rank armor. It's hard because the Ivory Lagiacrus is G Rank, and you can only get HR armor in the village. If you do the fight naturally, it's very difficult.

Infinite

I need the Wiiu version.

Razor Sharp
Sharpness+1
Awaken

How?

Mileena

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57485140]
Having a system that might not even get a game that will be played by other people for at least a year is a bonus?[/QUOTE]

Yea, because I don't really think I'm gonna be interested in buying MH4 + MH4U so I might as well wait for the better one. Bonus: I don't have to play on a handheld.

Kyzon

Of course you don't. What monster has ever required that you break something to kill it?

My credential: full HR and LR Helios in Monster Hunter Tri, which took 50+ Ceadeus kills offline.

He's invincible, and after a while he gets a long enrage period where he's also invincible. Very handy. Against some monsters, it's the only solid choice. I wish there were some way to give the Shakalakas elemental resistances, because the last 2 village quests decimate anything that isn't in an Ultimate Mask.

Oh, that's pretty sweet. Too bad he doesn't gather with it (kanye shrug)

Mini-rant:

They buffed the hell out of Alatreon in this game. Son of a bitch. I'm on try...10, I think. There's just so much cheap shit he does now, it's infuriating. The tracking dragon element charge always used to get me, but now he has all of these new tracking lightning moves. They also changed the graphics on the eruptions his roar/charge cause, I think. Once I got nailed because the fire pillar covered my whole screen and I could not see anything but fire.

Mostly though, it's those goddamn lightning moves. I've tried fighting him with the hammer a few times, and I always get hit by the damn lightning. So I tried a bow, thinking "I'll stay far away from the lightning". Then his trick predictive charges keep getting me because I run out of Mega Dash Juice and don't have evasion on that armor set. HE'S SO TRICKY.

Last night I tried to Slime SnS him, because I'm good with the SnS and it's a nice, mobile weapon to use against him. The goddamn frost breaths got me! I dodged every single lightning strike, did not get hit by a single charge, but now it's the frost breath! I suck! And if I get breathed on, I always die.

I suck so bad at this fight it's shameful, but I respect these changes. Alatreon is more worthy of his boss status now than he was in MHT, even though scrubs died to him a lot then. Now he's an absolute monster. Oh yeah, and that stupid "get away from my face" head jerk he does is new, too, and it does massive damage.

I've also noticed that he has some kind of resistance to Flash Bombs this time (?). I Maybe one out of 5 will connect with him, and I am throwing these things with perfection. They land right in front of his face and do nothing.

Also, when I say I'm dying, I mean I usually make it 40 minutes in before dying my third time. He just tends to combo hard, there are a lot of "you can't stand there because of the environment" situations, and he's tricky. Usually one hit does me in. It doesn't help that only one of my Shakalakas can be useful on this quest, because Alatreon's AoE blows them up so fast.

Qurupeke

You're already cheesing the fight by using G Rank armor. It's hard because the Ivory Lagiacrus is G Rank, and you can only get HR armor in the village. If you do the fight naturally, it's very difficult.

Yeah, I thought so... Well, I should had played all the solo mode first...But I didn't expect to reach G rank so soon. Oh well, I hope that it will be challenging.

Ridley327

Mini-rant:

They buffed the hell out of Alatreon in this game. Son of a bitch. I'm on try...10, I think. There's just so much cheap shit he does now, it's infuriating. The tracking dragon element charge always used to get me, but now he has all of these new tracking lightning moves. They also changed the graphics on the eruptions his roar/charge cause, I think. Once I got nailed because the fire pillar covered my whole screen and I could not see anything but fire.

Mostly though, it's those goddamn lightning moves. I've tried fighting him with the hammer a few times, and I always get hit by the damn lightning. So I tried a bow, thinking "I'll stay far away from the lightning". Then his trick predictive charges keep getting me because I run out of Mega Dash Juice and don't have evasion on that armor set. HE'S SO TRICKY.

Last night I tried to Slime SnS him, because I'm good with the SnS and it's a nice, mobile weapon to use against him. The goddamn frost breaths got me! I dodged every single lightning strike, did not get hit by a single charge, but now it's the frost breath! I suck! And if I get breathed on, I always die.

I suck so bad at this fight it's shameful, but I respect these changes. Alatreon is more worthy of his boss status now than he was in MHT, even though scrubs died to him a lot then. Now he's an absolute monster. Oh yeah, and that stupid "get away from my face" head jerk he does is new, too, and it does massive damage.

I've also noticed that he has some kind of resistance to Flash Bombs this time (?). I Maybe one out of 5 will connect with him, and I am throwing these things with perfection. They land right in front of his face and do nothing.

Also, when I say I'm dying, I mean I usually make it 40 minutes in before dying my third time. He just tends to combo hard, there are a lot of "you can't stand there because of the environment" situations, and he's tricky. Usually one hit does me in. It doesn't help that only one of my Shakalakas can be useful on this quest, because Alatreon's AoE blows them up so fast.

Once the DLC comes out, he'll come face to face with his nemesis yet again: a bowgunner with lots of sleep ammo and three players with lots of bombs. :D

Qurupeke

Mini-rant:

Oh yes, I want the giant G version of it. Cruel King of the Universe. :p

Yea, because I don't really think I'm gonna be interested in buying MH4 + MH4U so I might as well wait for the better one. Bonus: I don't have to play on a handheld.

You're assuming the Wii U doesn't continue to bomb and Capcom feels like porting their game to an underperfoming system.

RobbieNick

Funniest monster name has to go to Nibelsnarf.

There is an award where you have to forge 10 weapons from each category and hit max upgrade with it.
Do you guys know if by category they mean long sword, switch axe, lance, dual blades etc. or blade-master and gunner? Cause if the second then I might go for it, if the first one, I'll pass :D

Top Bottom