• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Fewr

So playing online without a Wii U on the 3DS version seems to be a huge convoluted mess could some one clarify a few things for me?

To my knowledge a 3DS can only locally connect to other 3DS's for multiplayer hunts.

However I've heard that with the Wii U packet relay you can play online, now I don't have a Wii U but my friend on the other side of the country is getting one. Could he theoretically set up a lobby and I could join it?

how does joining lobby's even really work? Is it from the hunter search? I don't really see many options or even how to join a room.

God why couldn't this have been a simple thing ;____;

You would need to get a SUPER long cable from your friend's house to yours, then phone him and tell him to turn the Wii U on because you want to do some Monster Huntin'.

-----

Btw, I hope this friend of yours is getting MH on Wii U.

Mark of Hero down! Managed it in 32 min on my first try.

HOLY CRAP that was intense.

Ivory only gave me a little trouble, but I used 2-3 Flash Bombs on him just so I could wail on him a bit. Decided to pack my Gigginox/Mizar gear for Poison since I figured it'd wreck everything.

I also went and packed Mega Dash Juice (x5) and mats to make Farcasters. Those were VERY useful.

Ivory ended up going down at about the 14-15 minute mark after I caught it in Cha-Cha's Pitfall Trap and killed it. Then Los and Brachy came down...

Anywho, Los went down first after getting hit by Poison then getting hungry (which made him a very easy target). Brachy kinda stayed to himself a lot while Los was up, and never even went into Rage Mode until after Los died.

Brachy was...Brachy. At this point, I pretty much had it won, but I just had to keep hitting him and letting my Poison do its work (when it was active). Used a Shock Trap so I could get Poison applied, and cut its tail off. Then mostly just did hit-and-run tactics while it was in Rage Mode. Finally, he went down at about 32 minutes.

Up Next: Alatreon! (Whenever I get around to that...)
Was that G rank gear?

G-Rank Barioth isn't a key quest, but to unlock it, you need to do these quests:
THE CHERRY BLOSSOM QUEEN
THE GREEN FLASH
PLAYING WITH FIRE
SWELTERING SHOWDOWN

The name of the mission is "Avenge the Fallen", and the mob is Barroth, that sand guy...not Barioth, the ice guy. According to wikia, this is a key quest.

I've completed 3/4 of the quest above....only missing that Green Plesioth. I'll work on it!

Ultratech

Was that G rank gear?

Yeah. Though I wasn't packing max Defense or anything silly like that.

Los could've easily wrecked me with a Fireball or Fire Breath.

Also ate for Attack Up (L) and had Mega Demondrugs. (I forget if Demondrugs stack with food...probably not.)

Should've brought Might Pills and other fun goodies.

Also ate for Attack Up (L) and had Mega Demondrugs. (I forget if Demondrugs stack with food...probably not.)

Psh! Make some HR gear/armor and do it! :p

DaBoss

The name of the mission is "Avenge the Fallen", and the mob is Barroth, that sand guy...not Barioth, the ice guy. According to wikia, this is a key quest.

I've completed 3/4 of the quest above....only missing that Green Plesioth. I'll work on it!

Wow, I misread that, sorry. First time I misread the name. Curse you localization team! :p

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

For longer fights the power seeds are actually your best bet for efficiency.

Fewr

I made a video of me soloing Cruel King of the Sea (Ivory Lagiacrus event quest). Run took 32:35 min. Sorry for shitty quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHhEfewdJAg

I'm watching it, good blocking skills. It's funny how the mechanics of fighting change when using a weapon that can block, with my long sword I find myself running and rolling a lot.

EDIT: as comment or additional info you should mention your weapon and armor used (with skills activated preferrably)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
( つ Д `) no one commented on my s.zin solo run

Soloing the event i.lagi is more impressive though, I have yet to do that lol

Fewr

Speaking of gunlance, got my solo gunlance time on stygian zinogre down to about 15 min today, still got hit twice though :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_DeHMuxXH4 (cam quality warning)

This was only a pseudo speedrun since I still need to grind out about 12 more HR until 70 and I'm confident I can get a faster completion time with abyssal lagi gear/gunlance

Going to learn/practice the dual blades matchup on him in the meantime lol

?????

Two things before I continue watching:

1. How and why do you launch yourself when zoning?
2. WHAT IS THAT ZINOGRE TRYING TO DO TO THE POPO? (at 30-32seconds after the video starts)

vareon

Wait, Alatreon DLC? How could anyone get that early?

Speaking of gunlance, got my solo gunlance time on stygian zinogre down to about 15 min today, still got hit twice though :(

This was only a pseudo speedrun since I still need to grind out about 12 more HR until 70 and I'm confident I can get a faster completion time with abyssal lagi gear/gunlance

Holy evading skills batman. I'm 275 hours into the game and I can't evade like that, GL user too.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
?????

Two things before I continue watching:

1. How and why do you launch yourself when zoning?
2. WHAT IS THAT ZINOGRE TRYING TO DO TO THE POPO? (at 30-32seconds after the video starts)
1. Using small barrel bombs cancels the animation after taking an item
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YPc8FYA6D8 Can't tell you how many times I have been headbutted into dragon orbs or other attacks by random popos from off screen

Holy evading skills batman. I'm 275 hours into the game and I can't evade like that, GL user too.
I attribute that to fighting games and dark souls pvp time lol

Haunted

Wait, fire weapon? The wiki says he's weak to electric, which is why I've been bashing him with a Lagia horn and a Vicello Nulo. I mean, I've done the second phase with friends before and I don't mind it. But this first phase, with its bullshit "you failed to repel the dragon" message after ten minutes and absolutely no clue about what I should do, fucking sucks.

And I can't go online, I'm on 3DS. I really need to get to high-rank ASAP. Its getting to the point with friends every week where my low rank armor is finally a liability since g-rank stuff one-shots me.
Oh yeah, it's Dragon/Thunder. Not sure why I had Fire in mind, sorry for the confusion. I think it's because I did him with a fire LS the first time in Ultimate.

Also sorry for you having chosen 3DS. :p

...I somehow broke his beard...

By focusing my attacks on his shell. I've looked up the hitzones on the wiki. This doesn't make any sense
Great that you hung in there and finally succeeded! ^^ The great part about MonHun is that not much time is wasted, even failed attempts teach something about the game.

So I'm minding my own business, collecting some oil samples, and then

BAM!!

This guy shows up and starts trolling me.
:lol

Haunted

I made a video of me soloing Cruel King of the Sea (Ivory Lagiacrus event quest). Run took 32:35 min. Sorry for shitty quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHhEfewdJAg
good shit, guys. That's some MLG monster hunting. :D

Ken

When I checked, there were two Alatreon rooms!

Did Capcom hold an event recently?

Couldn't they just label the room as hunting Alatreon and be doing something else? I saw Alatreon rooms a long time ago but it was locked so I have my doubts.

HOLY SHIT...DAT BACK STEP usage!! That's GODLY! :claps:

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So I'm doing the Crimson Qurupeco quest (village high-rank), and I'm wondering if it's just my bad luck or if the Deviljho is present, and therefore summonable, in all instances of that quest. I won in the end, but without a shred of dignity.

I dunno. Peco / Crimson Peco seems to always summon Joe for my case. I just throw a dung bomb at Peco and run like hell.

There will be a quest to hunt Joe later on. You will have your vengeance, as I did mine.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
good shit, guys. That's some MLG monster hunting. :D
HOLY SHIT...DAT BACK STEP usage!! That's GODLY! :claps:
Yep, impressive stuff, perorist. I should make more solo vids myself, but I get lazy these days. Supposed to do a Lucent Narga one, it's a good fight.
Yeah it's pretty impressive!

Thanks all, wish I had some proper recording equipment like Cunanan, but I'm holding out for X before dropping dough on a Wii U

Look forward to more grainy 3ds cam video in the future lol

Yesterday was... productive, I guess? I got my Nargacuga X evasion +2 set completed, thought I'd test it with a longsword on Azure Rathalos, got double-carted in quick succession and rage quit the quest. Then I went back to Diablos X / Pale Kaiser GS and murdered the crap out of him in record time. I don't know whether the epic fail was because I'm out of practice with LS, or if I was consciously trying to use a more evasion-heavy style. Dat Evade Dist+ range was pretty sexy, though.

Narga is a really fun fight once you get used to its moves. I even got some lv3 charges in during his rage mode, which was one of the most rewarding things ever.

edit:
perorist said:

Holy fuck I am not worthy. Now I feel inspired to give GL another go.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ah, so avoiding powerful attacks. I see.

I thought it would be used for raiding the blue fridge for more supplies or something.

Ken

Ah, so avoiding powerful attacks. I see.

I thought it would be used for raiding the blue fridge for more supplies or something.

Well, normally you shouldn't be relying on blue fridge supplies.

And I think the "avoiding powerful attacks" comment was a joke because it would be much easier to dodge it than swimming back.

Only applications of Farcaster I can think of are:

Basing after volcano charm farming (although suicide or Daruma mask are more cost-efficient methods)
Basing on stuff like Dire Miralis
Getting Alatreon to land from flight mode

Fistwell

Basing after volcano charm farming (although suicide or Daruma mask are more cost-efficient methods)
Dunno, I just eat food and I have more than enough health to do the round of mining points, even waiting a little in that room where they respawn, and farming pawprints on my way. My minion(s) also spam(s) L health which doesnt hurt. Actually, it'd probably be possible without eating, but that would save, what, 300z?

On that topic, do the felyne gathering skill stack with armor skills? I just eat to get those by default, unsure how much of a difference it makes.

Ken

Dunno, I just eat food and I have more than enough health to do the round of mining points, even waiting a little in that room where they respawn, and farming pawprints on my way. My minion(s) also spam(s) L health which doesnt hurt. Actually, it'd probably be possible without eating, but that would save, what, 300z?

On that topic, do the felyne gathering skill stack with armor skills? I just eat to get those by default, unsure how much of a difference it makes.

You can mine the important points and have about half health remaining. You'll also end up where powderstones spawn to help suicide faster. From your post it sounds like you do a round trip back to base? I don't like walking back to base; way too tedious and since I'm just farming for charms there's no reason to. I don't like Farcaster because I'd have to remember to restock on one after every trip so I may as well use the time it takes to suicide to do something else (like browse GAF > >)

Of course I don't have to do that anymore with the Daruma mask.

Fistwell

You can mine the important points and have about half health remaining. You'll also end up where powderstones spawn to help suicide faster. From your post it sounds like you do a round trip back to base? I don't like walking back to base; way too tedious and since I'm just farming for charms there's no reason to.
Yeah, I jump down and sometimes chill in that room killing rhenoplos for a bit till nodes respawn. I also tend to do bugs on my way back. Only takes a cple of minutes, but I guess time is money. :)

Well, normally you shouldn't be relying on blue fridge supplies.

And I think the "avoiding powerful attacks" comment was a joke because it would be much easier to dodge it than swimming back.

Only applications of Farcaster I can think of are:

Basing on stuff like Dire Miralis
Getting Alatreon to land from flight mode
It was a half-joke. Farcasters are good when you got hit and will get combo'd.

Example:
Alatreon hits you with a fireball, blasting you into a corner.
Alatreon starts to dragon charge straight toward you.

If you stay there, you're dead. If you Farcaster, you live thanks to invincibility frames.

What's the typical route of G rank volcano charm hunting?

Fistwell

What's the typical route of G rank volcano charm hunting?

VolcanoPort3rd.jpg
I dont really "charm hunt" really, just some general charm+ancient shard+pawprint runs, like when waiting in an empty room for people to pop up. I usually go: 1, 3, 5, 8 (kill cats), 9, 10, 5 (sometimes wait for nodes to respawn), 3, 1 and sometimes 2 for bugs.

Margalis

Banned
Any suggestions on Hunting Horn G-Rank armor sets? (Please understand if this has already been answered)

When I play in groups I like to use a HH with paralyze element on it so status+ would be nice. Right now I am using Peco armor with a KO talisman and decorations for KO King. However I'm not a huge fan of Wide-Range (I'm not even sure exactly what it does...) or Capture Guru, so it doesn't feel very optimal. The only thing I'm really getting out of the armor is Maestro, which is not that hard to slot in.

Top Bottom