• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Very nice.

Might have to get it. How much?

£19.71 including shipping, worth it cause my XL is starting to get dent peels, and I think it's sold out now, went OOS pretty quick:
http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomus/en_US/pd/ThemeID.1944700/productID.268583100/Monster-Hunter-3-Ultimate-3DS-XL-Case.html
They still have the original 3DS cases though, seems they made a 2nd run:
http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomus/en_US/pd/ThemeID.1944700/productID.277036500/Monster-Hunter-3-Ultimate-3DS-Case-2nd-Run.html

purg3

slept with Malkin
I picked this up for the 3ds and it's my first MH experience. The op is a bit lacking on info so what is the best online guide/resource for someone coming into the series for the first time? I think the giant bomb guys mentioned something or a podcast about MH before but I can't remember. Just looking for some tips to get me going too.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What am I supposed to do with Crimson Peco? If I use a dungbomb to get him away from the summoned Deviljoe he runs off and then in the next area summons it back like thirty seconds later.

What am I supposed to do with Crimson Peco? If I use a dungbomb to get him away from the summoned Deviljoe he runs off and then in the next area summons it back like thirty seconds later.

Yeah, it will happen. When Joe shows up, throw the Dung Bomb at him, he will leave for some time. In mean time, try to damage Peco as much as you can. When Joe shows up again, throw another dung at him. Repeat the process till you kill Peco ;) Also, when Peco screams you can throw Sonic Bomb to shut him up.

I throw the dung bomb at Crimson Peco. You gotta break his beak so he takes twice as long to summon Joe. The other alternative is to throw a sonic bomb when he's doing the summoning call. SnS user has a great advantage in this cause they don't need to sheathe weapon first. If you stagger C.Peco during its call, it'll interrupt the call.

On another note, I finally got my Grongigas Hammer! 1508 raw + 400 slime. The damage is insane! The best part is that I only had to go through 4 Uragaan to get Uragaan Pallium!

Plessy is the worst fight in the game. Underwater he's annoying, on land he's annoying, his hitboxes make no goddamn sense and he always does stupid shit like go on land, go back into the water, change areas, come back immediately then go back on land.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57767426]Plessy is the worst fight in the game. Underwater he's annoying, on land he's annoying, his hitboxes make no goddamn sense and he always does stupid shit like go on land, go back into the water, change areas, come back immediately then go back on land.[/QUOTE]

I find Lagiacrus much more annoying in the water than Plessy...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I find Lagiacrus much more annoying in the water than Plessy...

I'll agree with this. Lagiacrus' lightning and his constant curling around in water is fucking annoying.

This is hilarious. I hopped online when I first got the game, and am in HR right now. I went back to work on my village to improve my honey production, and I'm just ruining these village quests. Why yes, Barroth, I can cut right through your crown with my Dios Slicers. Yes, you're already dead.

I don't regret doing online first, as I have more fun with people, and it's nice to go through these village quests so quickly.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57767426]Plessy is the worst fight in the game. Underwater he's annoying, on land he's annoying, his hitboxes make no goddamn sense and he always does stupid shit like go on land, go back into the water, change areas, come back immediately then go back on land.[/QUOTE]

Plessy is a joke in this game compared to the previous games. Imagine this: in Unite, you could not chase after him when he jumped in the water. Which he did all the time, firing his lasers at you. And his hitbox in Unite was like a 100 meter radius square of death...

RobbieNick

At least you don't have to fight Plessy often (Unless you want him for weapons). No way I'm wearing that armor of his. It's a little too ummm.... "fabulous".

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Plessy is basically completely nerfed by Poison. It does massive damage, lasts forever, and it doesn't build up any tolerance to it. And then it tires him out completely. I actually prefer the fight on land (a lot of people say they prefer Plessy in water), simply because nine times out of time, he won't even make it back to the water. You're only going to have trouble if you're wearing terrible armour where it can one shot you with his water blast.

Arveene

Neo Member
Hmm, does it have to be the same piece because I'm trying to get capture master and some other skills but the Vangis coil and the Volvidon set does not stack up for some reason
On your status screen that shows your skill breakdown you should see your Waist slot with an E and your Chest armor skill points should be X2.

Plessy is a joke in this game compared to the previous games. Imagine this: in Unite, you could not chase after him when he jumped in the water. Which he did all the time, firing his lasers at you. And his hitbox in Unite was like a 100 meter radius square of death...

I played Monster Hunter 1.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
So I need some advice for using a Gunlance. I've been a pretty heavy lance user, and so I find myself just guarding and mashing the upward strike with the GL. When and how should I be using the shot?
The guard poke is very weak in comparison to the gunlance's other attacks so you should get out of the habit of relying on it too much :p

Depending on the shot type/level and whether or not you have artillery expert, the most reliable use for shots is extending combos/situational combos. Before you get sharpness+1 or razor sharp you should also use them more sparingly since the sharpness decrease per shot is usually not worth it.

The beauty of gunlance is that the combos are so modifiable and you can dash or guard cancel out at almost any point. With just 3 shells you can create a 14-hit combo even.

For general use combos, I like

Sheathed low combo - running X, X, X+A, xx
Sheathed high combo - running X, shell, X, X+A, xx
Unsheathed low combo - X, X, X+A, xx
Unsheathed high combo - X+A, X, X+A xx

The xx are where you can cancel into a sidestep/backhop and repeat

Extended low combo - running X, X, X, shell, (X, X, shell) repeat, end with X, X, X+A, xx

Extended high combo - running X, shell, X, X+A, shell, (X, X+A, shell) repeat, end with dodge cancel if last hit was a stab, end with guard cancel if last hit was a shell

Since the upswing (X+A) does more damage than the forward stab, it's best to end combos on that, and it provides more mobility too. You should almost never end on the slam finisher unless you're in a situation where you wouldn't have time for another strike after the upswing ender anyways.

Unsheathed X+A, shell, guard cancel
is also a favorite of mine to use on heads because if you do it correctly it's very fast (almost like 1 movement) and lets you get in a quick high hit relatively safely

also

Banned
At least you don't have to fight Plessy often (Unless you want him for weapons). No way I'm wearing that armor of his. It's a little too ummm.... "fabulous".

But his G-rank armor + Golden Lunecoil +appropriate charm= best capturing set in the game.
You know exactly when the monster is ready for capture (perception/capture guru), quickly set up traps and ensure 100% combination success (speed setup/ trap master), get more rewards for capturing (Tranquilzr/capture expert), get more quest specific rewards (fate/great luck) and your weapons won't bounce (fencing/mind's eye).

http://mhag.info/mhtrig/viewset.htm....L.209.2.160.154.X.1.160.Y.2.1.92.5.2.154.154

If you are on charm table 13 and get the Fate+4, 3 slotted charm your weapon doesn't even need any slots for all the above skills to be active. If you don't have useful fate charms, you will have to settle for Good Luck or give up on Perception.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Plessy's helm looks like a tinsel wig. I guess if you want to look like a Vegas showgirl, Plessy's armor is for you.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I actually prefer offline first for the challenge. Online just lets you have OP weapons when doing village quests.

Depends what you're after really
I'm just concerned about the online population when I'm done with offline. I'm already late to the game as is. And I pray to Goldbeard Ceadeus that there will still be people willing to go through the game with me all the way back from HR1 lol.

thetrin

I actually prefer offline first for the challenge. Online just lets you have OP weapons when doing village quests.

Depends what you're after really

Yeah, it does depend. I'm after hunting huge monsters with friends, and the MH community is such that it's hard to ignore. Hunting stuff by myself doesn't give me the same feeling as online MH.

Ridley327

>hops on for the first time in a couple of days

Oh hey, the Savage Joe DLC came out

>first room has a Spaniard sitting too close to his TV, get a Gem and a Crook

Disband the room? You're the annoying jackass!

>enters another room, filled with Italians that will. Not. Stop. Talking., luck not as good

i'mout.gif

>enters third room with English speaking dudes, get two Crooks and a couple of Black Bloods

I think I'm a fan of Savage Joe already!

Kandinsky

I'm just concerned about the online population when I'm done with offline. I'm already late to the game as is. And I pray to Goldbeard Ceadeus that there will still be people willing to go through the game with me all the way back from HR1 lol.

This was/is my concern too, but to be honest, doing village quest with an OP weapon/set seems no fun at all.

I'm just jelly of dat WiiU online mode

chrono01

This was/is my concern too, but to be honest, doing village quest with an OP weapon/set seems no fun at all.

I'm just jelly of dat WiiU online mode
Yeah, it's funny.

After tackling the online/G-Rank portion, when I went back to do the HR Village quests, I was...slightly underwhelmed.

It was the Slay 10 Jaggia quest. When
Deviljho
appeared and the Guild Sweetheart [<3] was like "RUN! RUN AWAY!!!" I was like "...Meh..." and easily killed him.

I know Mark of a Hero will be challenging, and rightfully so, but after doing the online quests I don't think the Village ones will feel quite the same. :(

Also, don't worry. I doubt online will die anytime soon. It will [hopefully] have a somewhat stable fanbase for a while.

Ridley327

Is there even a reason to take on a regular Joe at this point? Savage drops everything he does, at higher rates to boot, and he's more fun to fight.

thetrin

Meh. Online is the heart of the game in my eyes. I see no issue with cutting through the village quests like a hot knife through butter.

tuffy

As a total noob who's yet to try online, I actually think the game does a pretty good job of using village quests as a tutorial on the game's mechanics. You start off gathering mushrooms which shows how to run around from room to room and how to differentiate harvest-able items from background scenery. It then moves on to killing little Jaggia which shows weapon basics. Later it moves on to killing a Great Jaggi which shows the flow of how to tackle a big monster. Then the Arzuros quest shows how to capture monsters - which requires a different strategy than killing them. The Royal Ludroth and Gobul quests show how to fight underwater, and so on.

Sometimes I wish new gear would unlock faster, but I do feel like I'm learning stuff while progressing through the quests. And since I hardly ever wind up on the cart, it's not very frustrating either.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Do you guys advise me to stop doing village quests, and jump straight to online? I'm up to the second High Rank tier, which I believe is 7 stars.

And if so, is doing *every* guild quest online fun, or just the hunts? I have to come clean, seeing how I've only played the PSP games prior to this, and had no friends who're MH fans, I have zero experience with the network mode.

Ridley327

Do you guys advise me to stop doing village quests, and jump straight to online? I'm up to the second High Rank tier, which I believe is 7 stars.

And if so, is doing do *every* guild quest online fun, or just the hunts? I have to come clean, seeing how I've only played the PSP games prior to this, and had no friends who're MH fans, I have zero experience with the network mode.

The health for monsters scale up in mulitplayer, so you'll be having a grand old time in no time at all.

Hattori

Banned
I love online MH but YMMV. From time time to time I encounter folks that are just rage inducing to straight up laughable, just last night I encountered a fairly high ranked person, he was decked out in a flashy plesioth armor and a worn DS. Ends up double carting from dragonbreath, so after we capped Jho, I casually and jokingly said 'no one die' and this guy responded by blaming me for his deaths xD
First of, DS users stick to the body, leave the tail cutting to GS/LS/SA/Lance users if you don't want to get tripped or slapped around. Second, I was busy diving away from the dragonbreath when he got carted twice. The funny part is when he tries to 'beat me up' with his DS after the quest was complete xD

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
The health for monsters scale up in mulitplayer, so you'll be having a grand old time in no time at all.
They don't scale depending on player number, the only scaling is between village and port. 1 player solo or multi port is same health as 4 player multi port.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Wait, can other online players interrupt your carves? And I'm assuming everybody gets the same amount, and not a fixed amount of carves for everyone to share.

Hattori

Banned
Wait, can other online players interrupt your carves? And I'm assuming everybody gets the same amount, and not a fixed amount of carves for everyone to share.

yes they can interrupt you if;

-they're douchebags
-you spent the whole quest hiding in the base after carting
-you spent the whole time mining instead of helping out with the quest you posted
- etc.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
yes they can interrupt you if;

-they're douchebags
-you spent the whole quest hiding in the base after carting
-you spent the whole time mining instead of helping out with the quest you posted

- etc.
Shit. Some people do that? lol

Top Bottom