• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Mondriaan

Is there even a reason to take on a regular Joe at this point? Savage drops everything he does, at higher rates to boot, and he's more fun to fight.
If you're going for filling out the awards page on your guild card, you'll need crowns on regular Jho. Savage Jho counts as a separate sub-species IIRC.

Hoodbury

Alright, that settles it. No more village quests for now, going all out online.

do what I do, just play with GAF(or other friends) online and if there aren't any Gaffer's on then go back to the village for a bit. It takes 2 minutes to switch between the two so you can just keep checking if any gaffers are on or not if you go to our server/lobby.

I've also always had good results of getting people to join my room if I make one for GAF, usually within 5 minutes it's full. So if I really want to play online instead of do village stuff and there isn't already an open gaf room I just make my own.

You can always do harvest quests while waiting for people to join.

Mileena

Banned
I need black blood too! I'll get on tonight, just message on Steam or something. I'll be trying out Super Metroid till then most likely.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The only way to play the game.

Preach it!

Online IS the game.

Wait, can other online players interrupt your carves? And I'm assuming everybody gets the same amount, and not a fixed amount of carves for everyone to share.

Carves are instanced, but yeah, they can kick you, plant a bomb under you or do something else and interrupt it if they're trolling you. Otherwise, your carving doesn't take away from them.

I might be on tonight if you wanna play, but I wanna get through some more of my village quests first.

beje

Banned
I just tried the Bow with some quick armor mix put together from different monsters for Charge+ and I kinda like it. Will definitely rock it for a while!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Preach it!

Online IS the game.

Carves are instanced, but yeah, they can kick you, plant a bomb under you or do something else and interrupt it if they're trolling you. Otherwise, your carving doesn't take away from them.

I might be on tonight if you wanna play, but I wanna get through some more of my village quests first.
That would be awesome! I'll be on a bit late today, but I have to warn you I'm still at HR1 lol.

Hoodbury

You on tonight? I think I need one more Black Blood if I want to make a full Vangis X set, but it never hurts to stockpile them for other equipment that needs them.

Plus, you know, Savage Joe is awesome.

I can get on in a bit for some Joe. What time are you thinking?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That would be awesome! I'll be on a bit late today, but I have to warn you I'm still at HR1 lol.

Oh, you've played some online already? Awesome.

EDIT: Oh wait, you meant Hunter Rank 1. I don't know why I thought you meant High Rank. No prob! I'm happy to replay missions.

Ridley327

About to head on here; same bat time, same bat channel.

Seek out a room with "GAF-rank" on it! The focus will be on Savage Joe hunts, but feel free to offer suggestions for other things.

Fewr

As a total noob who's yet to try online, I actually think the game does a pretty good job of using village quests as a tutorial on the game's mechanics. You start off gathering mushrooms which shows how to run around from room to room and how to differentiate harvest-able items from background scenery. It then moves on to killing little Jaggia which shows weapon basics. Later it moves on to killing a Great Jaggi which shows the flow of how to tackle a big monster. Then the Arzuros quest shows how to capture monsters - which requires a different strategy than killing them. The Royal Ludroth and Gobul quests show how to fight underwater, and so on.

Sometimes I wish new gear would unlock faster, but I do feel like I'm learning stuff while progressing through the quests. And since I hardly ever wind up on the cart, it's not very frustrating either.
True. They also use the jaggi family to teach status effects with wroggi and baggi.

----------------------------

EDIT: Are there any MH3U Android apps you recommend?

Fewr

By the way, I'm almost finished with 8star village quests, and haven't been able to beat the huge sand whale yet.

I think after 8 I'll do 9, then when I get a better water weapon go back to kill that whale.

By the way, I'm almost finished with 8star village quests, and haven't been able to beat the huge sand whale yet.

I think after 8 I'll do 9, then when I get a better water weapon go back to kill that whale.
You can beat Jhen right when you get the quest.

I know, it's just I've tried 3-5 times and haven't been able to. It destroys the ship.
If it destroys the ship, then you're using the ship's tools wrong. If you do everything right, the ship will still be in "Normal" condition even if you time out. A better weapon won't hurt you. Check out a tutorial video and learn how to use all the ship's tools.

Or read this FAQ:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/943655-monster-hunter-tri/faqs/60456

I've been playing MH series since MHF2. I've always like to do village quests first. Get maximum gear upgrade possible from VQ, then move on to guild quests. Going from guild quest to village quest just doesn't give the kick, cause everything just die so fast.

I'm currently HR7...solo-ing all the way. Maybe when I'm done with G-rank, I'll do it all over again with a different weapon....Gunlance perhaps?

CPCunha

Great hunts indeed Wired... thanks for the help clearing some low HR quests... hopefully it won't take long for me to reach G-Rank and catch up with you guys.

Ridley327

Great hunts tonight, guys! We might have been a bit too good at dealing damage to Savage Joe early on, but at least we proved that you don't need to cap in order to get Black Blood.

thetrin

Looks like I might not be able to hop on tonight guys. I totally forgot I have an appointment with USCIS tomorrow morning to sort out some green card stuff before my work visa arrives.

Hopefully tomorrow!

About to go out of town for a few weeks to stay with cousins. They have a Wii U so I really don't want to have to pack mine as well. Is there any way to transfer save data? Is it account locked? I hear so much about the horrible account system that I'm worried I'll have to pack it if I want to use my save.

Hattori

Banned
About to go out of town for a few weeks to stay with cousins. They have a Wii U so I really don't want to have to pack mine as well. Is there any way to transfer save data? Is it account locked? I hear so much about the horrible account system that I'm worried I'll have to pack it if I want to use my save.

pack your wii u because save files are locked to your user account to prevent save cheats.

-----------

Finished my Vangis X gear,

-Speed Eating+2
-Wrath Awoken
-Rock Steady
-Challenger+1
-Sharpness+1

Two-Slot Weapon
+1 Sharpness OOO (Charm)

LaB_NL

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to make Pink Rathian's tail swipe both able to poison you and stun you?

Goodluck with the
Gold Rathian

Dire Miralis down and HR 32. Amazing how much content this game has...even after 170 hours of playing
and being idle

Fewr

If you have a 3ds with the game as well, you could transfer your save to 3ds then create a nnid (or maybe use your own, i dont know) on your friend's wii u and transfer the save to that.

Fewr

Use Ice or Dragon weapons. Not water.

Edit - And good luck! :D

If it destroys the ship, then you're using the ship's tools wrong. If you do everything right, the ship will still be in "Normal" condition even if you time out. A better weapon won't hurt you. Check out a tutorial video and learn how to use all the ship's tools.

Or read this FAQ:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/943655-monster-hunter-tri/faqs/60456

Thanks, I'll give it another go this weekend. (after watching the video and using the correct weapon)

insin

Neo Member
Do you think MH4 will have a better online mode due to it being included from the off?

That you have to hit a "Go Online" button with multiple warnings every session, that you don't get notified in-game when friends come online and you can't check in the Village without jumping to the Friends List on the Home Menu, that you have to enter a lobby in order to search for rooms, that you get kicked back to the lobby if entering a room fails without telling you why, that you get disconnected entirely sometime when entering a room fails, that you can't filter out full rooms from your searches, that the great random hunting party you've been playing with gets scattered to the wind when the host leaves, that you can't jump to hunters by name any more, so you can't build up your affinity with someone without adding them to your console-wide friends list... it gets frustrating trying to find the right hunt online.

Mupod

Do you think MH4 will have a better online mode due to it being included from the off?

That you have to hit a "Go Online" button with multiple warnings every session, that you don't get notified in-game when friends come online and you can't check in the Village without jumping to the Friends List on the Home Menu, that you have to enter a lobby in order to search for rooms, that you get kicked back to the lobby if entering a room fails without telling you why, that you get disconnected entirely sometime when entering a room fails, that you can't filter out full rooms from your searches, that the great random hunting party you've been playing with gets scattered to the wind when the host leaves, that you can't jump to hunters by name any more, so you can't build up your affinity with someone without adding them to your console-wide friends list... it gets frustrating trying to find the right hunt online.

I'm hoping that it's more similar to Tri's online except with the event quest system of the portable games. It was cool that you could only fight Jhen during sandstorms and I liked the NPC dialogue, 'festival' atmosphere and cheap items. But it really sucked if you suddenly decided you needed something from Jhen and you had to wait weeks for him to come back.

What I really want are lobbies that can hold more than 4 people. Our version of Tri never had that, but IIRC the Japanese one could have 10 (although they had to pay for online).

I might as well join in on the fun here, and throw my 2 cents around. Before that - I started the MH games with MHF, where I put in roughly 100 hours. Hit a wall with village quests, got mad, and put it down. Came back to MHFU, then after 150+ hours, I just stopped playing because no one else played. Ad HOC party was full of G Ranks, and I was nowhere near that; I mainly stuck to village quests and I didn't even know anyone else with a PSP. I never played Tri, sadly, it escaped my radar somehow.

NOW - Currently 120 hours in MH3U, on 3DS. Spend about 100 hour on a normal 3DS, then I picked up a Circle Pad Pro. I was blown away at the difference it makes. Here comes something that I know I am in a small percentile of...I LOVE the water combat in MH3U. Before with a normal 3DS I enjoyed it, and thought it was a neat addition. But then I got a CPP, and my world was blown wide open. THEN I was told about the extra ways to dodge in water, giving you a full 360 (more or less) area to "dive" to when in trouble! I am saddened by it's removal in 4, but I shall deal. Yes monsters are harder in the water, but it's also easier to position yourself wherever you need. I tend to be far more cautious in the water as well, since that is the monsters "home turf", more or less, so they have the advantage, requiring patience and
better
aiming. Plus, having the 3d on in the water is a pretty sight. I am maining GS, and working on Bow sets and HH sets. GS for life though, nothing is more satisfying than nailing those lvl 3 charges.

Edit - Forgot to say, MH3U is one of the first games where I love the water combat. In almost every single other game I play, I abhor underwater sections. MH is special though.

I have stayed away from this board, for every time I start reading..the urge to buy a Wii U becomes almost unmanageable. Darn you all for posting your fun online exploits! Luckily I have one friend with a 3ds who is about 70 hours ahead of me, and I know at least 2 or 3 others who are behind me by a little bit. So my MP isn't nonexistent, just not as easy and often as I like. One of these day's I know I'll bite the bullet and get one though..

What's nice is you can carry both charms and talons (4 total) for a pretty good boost.

This is news to me. Glad I just found out you can buy those charms from the guild store clerk in the Tavern, so no resources are wasted trading! Hooray!

Is this the Huitzil (Darkstalkers) skin?
Saw one yesterday, I wondered where it's from!

Someone please confirm this....I have avoided all DLC for some reason, but if this is true then I will do whatever I can to get this mask. Having Metal Gear and MH combine worlds in the way they did was amazing enough, now they combine another one of my favorite gaming franchises? I <3 u Capcom.

This is the new mask:

PtFfgyU.jpg

US/EU only.

I play on the 3DS XL and I solo-ed all the way. Water combat isn't that bad without CPP. I'm 120 hours in and I'm in HR7. I didn't have that much of a problem in water combat.

Top Bottom