• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Fistwell

This is the new mask:

PtFfgyU.jpg

US/EU only.
What does it do?

Mondriaan

Nice design. Too bad about the ability. Mock Melynx is the way to go! Cha-cha can steal rare items like gems!
I don't know if the design is all that hot in motion. It's more like replacing a shaka with with a figurine with zero articulation/moveable parts rather than being anything like a mask.

CPCunha

Ok a couple of questions to my fellow hunters...
On the topic of Gunlancing:

-Does sharpness level have any impact on shelling/wyvernfire?
-I have Attack(s) and Artillery Novice enabled and slots to take one of the two to the optimal version... which one?
-Does Constitution -1 affects me if i'm running constantly on Mega Dash Juice?

"This makes your minions pick up items to sell during each quest. The value of the items they pick up goes up as their mastery does as well."

http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/1cr1v0/mh3u_what_items_are_only_used_for_selling/

So basically, useless. :p

I don't know if the design is all that hot in motion. It's more like replacing a shaka with with a figurine with zero articulation/moveable parts rather than being anything like a mask.

As depressing as it is to hear that...I will still likely rock it on at least ONE Shaka...

Nice pic though OP of said pic, just what I was looking for.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57767426]Plessy is the worst fight in the game. Underwater he's annoying, on land he's annoying, his hitboxes make no goddamn sense and he always does stupid shit like go on land, go back into the water, change areas, come back immediately then go back on land.[/QUOTE]

Really ? He was so much worse in MHFU, I actually think they fixed some of his attacks, the hipcheck is definitely not as broken as before, the tail whip kinda is. I just think he is your nemesis lol, I find Lagia way more annoying.

I play on the 3DS XL and I solo-ed all the way. Water combat isn't that bad without CPP. I'm 120 hours in and I'm in HR7. I didn't have that much of a problem in water combat.

I find it not nearly as good without the CPP. It's hard to change elevations and be quick on the buttons when you need to. Doable, but not nearly as good as playing on the Wii U (2nd analog)

I'm about 100 hours on HR 9 right now. My last night consisted of playing Brachydios over, and over, and over, and......

I made the Long Sword, Great Sword, Duel Sabers, Gun Lance, and his full set of armor. I still want his switch axe, but put that aside to move onto 8 star.

I was dumb and thought "potential" was "unlock" so I used a terrible long sword (sickle) on Zinogre. Man, did that suck!

Rize_21

-I have Attack(s) and Artillery Novice enabled and slots to take one of the two to the optimal version... which one?
Only my two cents but:

- I'd say yes,monsters suffer much more with a higher sharpness from what I remember,the bigger the chunks are,the better(looking at the Barroth GL and its fast sharpness decrease when you use the shots...),I wouldn't recommend to release a wyvern fire if it isn't at its best sharpness level.
- Depends of your play style,if you do not really rely on the shield,go for attack,otherwise Artillery Novice(I'd gemmed for AN if I had to fight against a Duramboros,though).
-Not at all,as it consumes the stamina bar,you are optimum with the dash juices.

I find it not nearly as good without the CPP. It's hard to change elevations and be quick on the buttons when you need to. Doable, but not nearly as good as playing on the Wii U (2nd analog)

I did as well. Then a friend told me about this - while in water, dodge, and before the animation starts, but after you press the dodge button, hold up or down. Your hunter will swim straight up or down. And, if you hold the dodge button, you continue going up or down. Perfect for those desperate seconds before your oxygen runs out. It increased my mobility dramatically, even more so than with my newly purchased CPP.

Sorry if it's old news, but I haven't seen any mention of it. And I bet there are Tri Vets who didn't even know it! From reading these boards I know I have come across many a things that were minor, but I doubt I ever would have learned about otherwise.

Really ? He was so much worse in MHFU, I actually think they fixed some of his attacks, the hipcheck is definitely not as broken as before, the tail whip kinda is. I just think he is your nemesis lol, I find Lagia way more annoying.

He's super easy, just annoying because he does all this stupid stuff. And he never leaves the water when I use the frog.

Schuhu

Neo Member

Take the Artillery +15, because it also decreases your wyvern fire cooldown by 30s

I did as well. Then a friend told me about this - while in water, dodge, and before the animation starts, but after you press the dodge button, hold up or down. Your hunter will swim straight up or down. And, if you hold the dodge button, you continue going up or down. Perfect for those desperate seconds before your oxygen runs out. It increased my mobility dramatically, even more so than with my newly purchased CPP.

You don't need to do it after a dodge...while stationary, you can just hold down the B button and push up or down on the analog stick and you will swim up or down.

Rize_21

Anyone for arena? Need like 5 or 6 to wrap up all weapons.

I'm on my way if it's not too late!
Just ended the upload of the Gold Rathian/Silver Rathalos of yesterday,it was with Out_of_ammo,Arveene(same nickname here iirc),and Festwill!
http://youtu.be/KVNMK6Rv4t8

It's incredible how rewarding it feels to release these level 3 charges,I'm still a novice with the Great Sword,but really,nothing can compares!

Fistwell

I'm on my way if it's not too late!
Just ended the upload of the Gold Rathian/Silver Rathalos of yesterday,it was with Out_of_ammo,Arveene(same nickname here iirc),and Festwill!
http://youtu.be/KVNMK6Rv4t8

It's incredible how rewarding it feels to release these level 3 charges,I'm still a novice with the Great Sword,but really,nothing can compares!
Im not even online yet lol, coming over in a cple of minutes, see you out there.

Apharmd

1. It does not. Shelling when you're at blue, green or yellow sharpness will deal the same damage. The only exception is at red sharpness, but you should never be there in the first place!

2. Depends on your Gunlance type, if it's normal/wide/long. I could get into it here, or you could read this topic: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/65984982 Read ElementPearl and KaiserWarrior's posts. They totally changed my gunlancing life, yo.

(In short, if you have a Long Gunlance, go for arty. Normal/Wide, you should be on a "shell less, stab more" mindset so go for attack.)

3. Your life will be easier if you just sacrifice one slot to bump that -10 constitution to a -9 constitution. Skills don't work unless they're +10, and negative skills also perform the same way.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I fought a Stygian Zinogre for the first time.

What do I have to combine to get a tactical nuke?

(got a skymerald out of it though)
He's the most interesting fight once you learn him a bit though ( ´∀`)b

Finally grinded up to HR70 after two days of felyne exchanger and triple blos/los/narga quests

I thought the grinding was over but now I need 3 dynamo from abyss lagi and they're not dropping ;_;

Ok, so I decided to rematch Mark of a Hero. I just beat Ivory Lagiacrus right before the 15 minute mark without using all my Mega Potions or carting, and I suddenly realize that I didn't bring Honey or Antidotes. ;_;

I heard that you can get Brachy to kill off Azure Rathalos, how reliable is that?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Reliable enough, mine dealt the killing blow, though I threw a few flash bombs and got a good number of hits on the rath myself. It'll do a ton of damage to the rathalos as long as you keep the rathalos between you and the brachy.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57875444]Ok, so I decided to rematch Mark of a Hero. I just beat Ivory Lagiacrus right before the 15 minute mark without using all my Mega Potions or carting, and I suddenly realize that I didn't bring Honey or Antidotes. ;_;

I heard that you can get Brachy to kill off Azure Rathalos, how reliable is that?[/QUOTE]

Better get your rake out and start farming :D

Reliable enough, mine dealt the killing blow, though I threw a few flash bombs and got a good number of hits on the rath myself. It'll do a ton of damage to the rathalos as long as you keep the rathalos between you and the brachy.

Pretty much what I wound up doing. One of Brachy's polka dots took him out, now I've got 20 minutes to take out Brachy. Still in a good position.

edit: and done, no carting, no honey or antidotes or bombs, just some good great sword action :3

got a brachy gem, rath ruby and a guard up charm :-o

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57879828]Pretty much what I wound up doing. One of Brachy's polka dots took him out, now I've got 20 minutes to take out Brachy. Still in a good position.

edit: and done, no carting, no honey or antidotes or bombs, just some good great sword action :3[/QUOTE]

Which GS?

I ultimately want to wind up using that weapon mainly, but I use too many now as it is.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57881428]Blade of Tartarus with Sharpness +1 LOL
ran away 90% of the time and still finished with 15 minutes on the clock haha[/QUOTE]

Jeez, that's like cheating

also

Banned
I completed the [advanced] Hot Feet quest (Ura + S. Usra) and got 6 Uragaan rubies; 3 as quest rewards 3 as capture rewards. The luckiest I have ever been yet.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'd love to get up to HR 5 tonight. Anyone up for doing HR 4 key quests?

So this game sold me on a wii u, having never played a monster hunter game before I'm feeling a little lost but scouring the Internet for tips along the way. After hearing that every weapon is pretty much equal and to go with what I enjoy I've started off with the long sword. Just successfully taken down my first great jaggi, it's only after this fight I found out how the long swords spirit combo works and how I'm supposedly meant to press R 5 times to activate it. Now I feel a little dumb, I guess my biggest issue now is I'm not sure where to start with armour and weapons. Still using the iron long sword you are given along with the leather armour, just not sure if I should be upgrading what I have or forging new items.

So this game sold me on a wii u, having never played a monster hunter game before I'm feeling a little lost but scouring the Internet for tips along the way. After hearing that every weapon is pretty much equal and to go with what I enjoy I've started off with the long sword. Just successfully taken down my first great jaggi, it's only after this fight I found out how the long swords spirit combo works and how I'm supposedly meant to press R 5 times to activate it. Now I feel a little dumb, I guess my biggest issue now is I'm not sure where to start with armour and weapons. Still using the iron long sword you are given along with the leather armour, just not sure if I should be upgrading what I have or forging new items.
Monster Hunter is the kind of game where you learn through experience - never feel dumb, just be pleasantly surprised! ;-)

With regard to armor and weapons, I recommend getting the Great Jaggi set. It will last you for a while and has nice general bonuses for any weapon type.

Look at the weapons lists here to figure out weapons to make:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii-u/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/faqs

Both!

Upgrading costs less, both in terms of items needed and money needed. So sometimes you want to go back and take an upgrade path you didn't in terms of weaponry.

As for armor, forge armors with skills you like (and or the capability to add in some stuff). Upgrade as necessary.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Long Sword is a great weapon for new players. Good damage, decent combos, and if you hit X+A you get a horizontal sweep attack along with a dash backwards, which is great to get small creatures out of your face.

Also, for LS, the bread and butter combo once your LS is out is A, X, X, X. You get a useful stab move at the start, and you generally root yourself for the rest of the combo.\

I, too, recommend the Great Jaggi set starting out.

Skills are important to know, but they're not super important just yet. Definitely ask in the thread when you want to know how they work.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Rathian Plate, Ruby and Spike continue to elude me. Damn you to hell desire sensor.

On the upside I've got the fight down to about ten minutes, limited potion use and no poisonings.

Damn desire sensor.

Ultratech

Rathian Plate, Ruby and Spike continue to elude me. Damn you to hell desire sensor.

On the upside I've got the fight down to about ten minutes, limited potion use and no poisonings.

Damn desire sensor.

Now you know how I feel about Rathian Mantles.

The Desire Sensor would rather flood me with crap like Uragaan and Nargacuga Mantles.

*shakes fist*

I shall start working on the Jaggi set then, feels good to finally have some sort of goal to work towards. Have felt like I've been running around aimlessly so far.

Everything I gather seems to have some use at some point, am I doing right by putting everything in my item box and selling nothing?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I shall start working on the Jaggi set then, feels good to finally have some sort of goal to work towards. Have felt like I've been running around aimlessly so far.

Everything I gather seems to have some use at some point, am I doing right by putting everything in my item box and selling nothing?

It's what I do. It's not like you'll ever run out of room.

insin

Neo Member
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57875444]
I heard that you can get Brachy to kill off Azure Rathalos, how reliable is that?[/QUOTE]
We need Mega Dash Juice, lots of Mega Dash Juice.

It's still brutal and intense, an enraged Brachy's jumping attack is just awesome and A. Rathalos will be doing his super poison dive at you.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Was farming abyss lagi today and playing outdoors (3ds). In the middle of the fight a bird shit literally dropped out of the sky and onto my bottom screen, it was surreal.

Got an a.lagi dynamo afterwards though, so honestly I wouldn't mind getting hit with 2 more shits if I was guaranteed some more drops.

thetrin

About to do some HR4 key quests. Anyone in?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57767426]Plessy is the worst fight in the game. Underwater he's annoying, on land he's annoying, his hitboxes make no goddamn sense and he always does stupid shit like go on land, go back into the water, change areas, come back immediately then go back on land.[/QUOTE]
Hip check hits me 100% of the time without evasion. :-(

I told my wife how much I hate Plesioth, and she said "Oh hmmm. Yeah, I think I want his armor now." -_-

thetrin

For now, that's perfect. Eventually you'll know what to sell and what to keep.

what room?

I just got a work email that needs immediate attention, so nothing right now. how long are you going to be on? I would love to do the rest of HR4 (minus Unwanted Visitor) later.

Hip check hits me 100% of the time without evasion. :-(

I told my wife how much I hate Plesioth, and she said "Oh hmmm. Yeah, I think I want his armor now." -_-

Does your wife like fabulous costumes? Because he is MAD fabulous.

Top Bottom