• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Any suggestions on Hunting Horn G-Rank armor sets? (Please understand if this has already been answered)

When I play in groups I like to use a HH with paralyze element on it so status+ would be nice. Right now I am using Peco armor with a KO talisman and decorations for KO King. However I'm not a huge fan of Wide-Range (I'm not even sure exactly what it does...) or Capture Guru, so it doesn't feel very optimal. The only thing I'm really getting out of the armor is Maestro, which is not that hard to slot in.
I have no opinion on a good HH set, but Wide-Range makes it so that various items you consume benefit your team members as well. It's nice for being a team player. For example, if someone is getting trampled in a corner, you can pop a potion to heal them.

Any suggestions on Hunting Horn G-Rank armor sets? (Please understand if this has already been answered)

When I play in groups I like to use a HH with paralyze element on it so status+ would be nice. Right now I am using Peco armor with a KO talisman and decorations for KO King. However I'm not a huge fan of Wide-Range (I'm not even sure exactly what it does...) or Capture Guru, so it doesn't feel very optimal. The only thing I'm really getting out of the armor is Maestro, which is not that hard to slot in.

Skull Mask (or anything with Torso Inc)
Narga Mail X
Narga Vambraces X
Narga Faulds X
Gigginox Greaves X
-----------------
OOO Charm
-----------------
2x Disabler Jewel 2
3x Jumping Jewel 1
5x Sonorous Jewel 1

You get:

Status Attack +1
Evasion +1
Evade Distance
Horn Maestro

I need like three other people to verify you don't need to break his beard before I spend another six hours trying that.
Not a true confirm, but I feel that you can hit him anywhere to do enough damage to break the beard/horn, then after that any hit to the beard/horn will break it. It just helps to hit the beard because that's a weak point that takes more damage than other body parts, but if you can only wail on his back, then wail on his back and get to the beard whenever you can.

edit
...I somehow broke his beard... By focusing my attacks on his shell. I've looked up the hitzones on the wiki. This doesn't make any sense
oh, glad to made it through.

lol it's all in good fun, we were just messing around. You get coins as rewards for arena fights, one of us thought he had gotten some but then he could not find them anymore somehow. Since your name was Mario something, we decided you obviously took them cause, well, Mario collects coins, everyone knows that! Don't take it personal, we were just dicking around! :D

Haha, I was just kidding. Have to laugh at oneself!

DaBoss

Do you get anything for getting an A-Rank with all weapons in the Arena? I was just 9 seconds away getting an A-Rank with the hammer on Stygian Zinogre. It just discouraged me from trying again at the moment.

JCH!

Gigantically awesome post.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I spent some time testing weapons yesterday. I don't know if it's really useful or necessary but I like having a shield, the Sword+Shield combo lacks awesome factor so I decided to use the Lance (the regular ones, the Gunlances seem a bit complicated at the moment) for now, are they any good?

Right now I've finished my second quest and I'm still COMPLETELY LOST when it comes to Skills and stuff. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing :D

I don't understand the food system very well either, I've had some steaks to restore my stamina bar but nothing else.

Game is awesome so far, even though I'm just killing Jaggi. I imagine trying to kill huge monsters will be a million times more rewarding.

Mupod

Skull Mask (or anything with Torso Inc)
Narga Mail X
Narga Vambraces X
Narga Faulds X
Gigginox Greaves X
-----------------
OOO Charm
-----------------
2x Disabler Jewel 2
3x Jumping Jewel 1
5x Sonorous Jewel 1

You get:

Status Attack +1
Evasion +1
Evade Distance
Horn Maestro

This is a pretty good set if you're using the Giggi horn, but he'll need to be HR8+ for this one because of the skull mask. I personally just used high rank narga upgraded with heavy armor spheres until I could get narga X, then used that for a while. Maestro of course slotted in.

Evade skills are important though. Due to the nature of HH you're going to be put in compromising situations, you can't play it safe like hammer and expect to do significant damage. My HH sets tend to have earplugs, so I can play recitals while things are roaring and get some damage in. I think I still use a combination of Narga X and Helios Z for my basic HH set, I haven't really tried to make a 'perfect' one because my charms (aside from evade dist+6) are all garbage. But it's not too hard to get evade+1, evade dist, sharpness+1 and maestro.

Also, I highly recommend making the Stygian Tristitia HH as soon as possible. It's IMO the best general use HH, especially playing with randoms due to its anti-knockback song which prevents most 'friendly fire'. It has a big chunk of purple (with sharpness+1), decent raw, dragon element and a slot as well. No negate stamina use though, unfortunately.

edit: also noticed he was using Knockout King - don't bother getting this unless it's a 'free' skill (I have a +6 KO +9 expert charm for example). It's not horrible, but the benefit is only something like 10%. Unlikely to get you an extra KO unless you're struggling to get 1 per fight.

taybul

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I spent some time testing weapons yesterday. I don't know if it's really useful or necessary but I like having a shield, the Sword+Shield combo lacks awesome factor so I decided to use the Lance (the regular ones, the Gunlances seem a bit complicated at the moment) for now, are they any good?

Right now I've finished my second quest and I'm still COMPLETELY LOST when it comes to Skills and stuff. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing :D

I don't understand the food system very well either, I've had some steaks to restore my stamina bar but nothing else.

Game is awesome so far, even though I'm just killing Jaggi. I imagine trying to kill huge monsters will be a million times more rewarding.
I wouldn't worry about skills too much right now; just get more comfortable with the combat system. Basically, most pieces of armor come with a set number of skill points towards a few skills. A skill typically requires 10 or more points to activate. Completing a whole armor set will more often than not grant you a few skills. Later on you'll be able to use decorations to boost your skill points. There are also talismans you can equip that provide even more various skill points and sometimes even decoration slots. Armors could also have negative skills and much like the regular skills, they'd need -10 or lower points to activate. People typically "gem" these out by sticking a decoration to keep it above -10 (-9 or more).

As for the food system (assuming you're not referring to the canteen) there's really only Rare/Well-done steaks that you eat to boost your stamina bar. Anything else is treated like potions where you're given some sort of boost or even a stam increase. You start with rare meat and BBQ it to make either rare or well-done steaks.

explodet

My hunting partner and I recently discovered both the completed Rath Soul Z blademaster sets and "three in sucession" advanced quests.

We keep killing monsters by accident!

I already got both from getting an A-Rank with at least one weapon with an A-Rank. What I want to know is what would I get from getting all weapons to A-Rank.

Isn't that a reward for A with all the weapons? I got all arena quest done and none of the earnings, still have to do few more with different weapons.

DaBoss

Isn't that a reward for A with all the weapons? I got all arena quest done and none of the earnings, still have to do few more with different weapons.

Whoops, I forgot to say you have to complete every Arena quest with every weapon along with at least having one weapon with an A-Rank.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Made a solo hallowed jhen kill vid with heavy bowgun if anyone on 3DS is having trouble with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21p2sHM3wow

Haven't farmed him in a while so I made a bunch of mistakes, but hopefully it's useful as a general reference. The diablos hbg is a bit more effective than what I used but I didn't want to waste a hardhorn on it lol

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So for some one who has just barely started 5* village missions, what is the best way of getting Monster Bone + and Rathalos Webbing? I don't think I've ever even seen a rathalos, and I doubt a rathian can give rathalos carves.

M bone + from what the internet says is a quest reward at the end, but i've killed maybe 6 pecos and not a single MB+ has appeared. Am I doing the wrong ones?

I'm just trying to build my pecospander + before I push into 5*'s

So for some one who has just barely started 5* village missions, what is the best way of getting Monster Bone + and Rathalos Webbing? I don't think I've ever even seen a rathalos, and I doubt a rathian can give rathalos carves.

M bone + from what the internet says is a quest reward at the end, but i've killed maybe 6 pecos and not a single MB+ has appeared. Am I doing the wrong ones?
www.kiranico.com says:

Monster Bone M
Monster Source
Rank Monster Method # %
Low Uroktor Carve (Body) 1 30%
High Uroktor Carve (Body) 1 20%
Low Rhenoplos Carve (Body) 1 20%
High Rhenoplos Carve (Body) 1 15%
High Ludroth Carve (Body) 1 13%
Low Qurupeco Carve (Body) 1 12%
G Ludroth Carve (Body) 1 10%
Low Qurupeco Capture 2 10%

Quest Source
Rank Quest # % Type
V 5 Walk 'N' Roll 1 100% B
V 3 Leading the Charge 1 100% B
V 4 Accident Investigation 1 100% B
P 1 Leading The Charge 1 100% B
V 4 The Snowbound Slider 1 100% B
P 1 Accident Investigation 1 100% B
P 1 [Canteen] The Snowbound 1 100% B
[other quests i don't want to list]
Rathalos Webbing
Monster Source
Rank Monster Method # %
Low Rathalos Capture 1 29%
Low Rathalos Carve (Body) 1 19%
High Rathalos Capture 2 18%
Low Rathalos Wound Wing 1 15%

Quest Source
Rank Quest # % Type
V 5 The Wrath of Rathalos 1 21% A
V 5 The Omen 1 21% A
P 2 Double Trouble 1 21% B
P 2 The Wrath of Rathalos 1 21% A

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Made my Dios Slicers, got my gems slotted, and my negative skills +1'd. I'm ready for the rest of HR.

Looking forward to building some sweet gear for G Rank! I might hop on tonight, but that depends on how much time I have.

One more Long Fragment to Artian Greaves....then I can look forward to upgrading my Gigas hammer to Grongigas Hammer. 1500 raw + 400 slime....so fucking disgusting....

Narras

I was fighting Alatreon with a hammer to get a Skypiercer and an Alatreon Webbing. I break his horns and one wing. I beat him and get a Skypiercer and TWO Alatreon Webbings. I was happy to see those in the reward box. Since I mainly use Long Swords, I make the Dark Claw and try to upgrade it only to find the Alatreon Webbing is useless since I need some Alatreon Direwings instead. LOL

Artian Greaves X GET!! Time to farm for a FreeElement charm.

What's the best place to farm for charms in HR6? (no access to HR7 and above, i.e. no Volcano yet)

edit: Okay...found it. suicide runs at Misty Peaks secret area (with Explorer from food).

Deband

Has anyone bought this off the eshop? I feel like getting it but unsure of how long it would take to download. Also are there any benefits to having it on the console memory as opposed to a disc?

Has anyone bought this off the eshop? I feel like getting it but unsure of how long it would take to download. Also are there any benefits to having it on the console memory as opposed to a disc?

my brother did this as he couldn't wait. I think he had it done in less than 2 hours.

Mupod

I did day 1. Loadtimes are slightly faster relative to disc, but it's not huge. MH3U's loadtimes are much faster than Tri's were even if you're just running it off the disc.

However even a marginal improvement was worth it to me. And this is a game I've already put 300 hours into, so saving wear on my drive is nice.

However it did take me like a whole goddamn day to download. Granted this was day 1, and my internet sucks.

I did day 1. Loadtimes are slightly faster relative to disc, but it's not huge. MH3U's loadtimes are much faster than Tri's were even if you're just running it off the disc.

However even a marginal improvement was worth it to me. And this is a game I've already put 300 hours into, so saving wear on my drive is nice.

However it did take me like a whole goddamn day to download. Granted this was day 1, and my internet sucks.

I did download it for the 3DS as my local store didnt have it and I couldn't wait anymore.

Chuckpebble

I know he was asking about on WiiU, but there is a benefit to having it on SD card as well. It seems you can back up and restore your game save if you like on 3DS. I haven't tried it yet, but I do occasionally just back up my SD card.

I know he was asking about on WiiU, but there is a benefit to having it on SD card as well. It seems you can back up and restore your game save if you like on 3DS. I haven't tried it yet, but I do occasionally just back up my SD card.

That is kind of nice.

That will probably be something that I wish I did, but will never do

Fistwell

Jho event finally up. Anybody needs blood?

Edit: Man, pubes are just so fcking slimy.

I stared at my monitor for a bit trying to process that last sentence before I remembered your previous post regarding pubbies
Haahha! Sry, I see how it could be ambiguous.

Deband

Thanks for the info. Gonna grab it tonight. Hopefully I can settle into this for a bit. For like the last 2 months I've been jumping about playing a bit of everything but never actually getting stuck into anything.

Hattori

Banned
Just ended the most frustrating first savage jho quest, the host triple carts as I lay a trap on a limping jho x(

got a crook on tail carve though...

Top Bottom