• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

EmiPrime

Okay. :)

Two more things: Does anyone have any advice regarding inventory management? I fill up my bags pretty quickly. Also is the game design idea behind charm tables as brain haemorrhagingly stupid as I think it is?

Kandinsky

That's it, I'm buying a WiiU and the game this week, gonna feel good upgrading from 3DS, G rank seems to be boring solo, and the game kinda dies at that point, but I can totally see it getting more life with multi. Can't wait!.

Okay. :)

Two more things: Does anyone have any advice regarding inventory management? I fill up my bags pretty quickly. Also is the game design idea behind charm tables as brain haemorrhagingly stupid as I think it is?

Same. I think I'm gonna have to man up and sell some useless things.

Also, I saw a gunner online and remembered that bowguns exist. It seems I would have to get new armor and start buying shots and things. Is it worth it? I feel like it'd be fun, but I don't know.

Cerity

Underwater fights in the 3DS are pretty damn awkward. Will take sometime to get used to...

Yep, I'm up to the 5 star village quests and the only quests to do are capture a lagiacrus or the powder stone quest. I really don't want to do the lagiacrus capture because I know it involves underwater.

Underwater quests were okay in Tri because the controls worked. On 3ds, even with the CPP it's pretty awkward :(

tuffy

Also, I saw a gunner online and remembered that bowguns exist. It seems I would have to get new armor and start buying shots and things. Is it worth it? I feel like it'd be fun, but I don't know.
All I do is bowgun and it is a lot of fun, but it's a very different style from the up-close blademaster weapons. Gunner armor is half strength which means you'll be very squishy. But in order to be most effective, you'll need to be staring down the scope in order to put shots in the monster's weak spots which makes you a sitting duck. So hunts are a tense balance between times to shoot and times to dodge/reposition.

If in doubt, try a starter gun on something slow and predictable like Arzuros to see how you like it.

Anteo

So I just forged a lance, first time using one since the demo. It was really fun, man the different weapons are great, give the fights a different feeling. I've been trying different weapons and I need some adivce for them

-Great Sword: I like the charge attack, I know that I should use it as much as I can. So that 3rd level charge, is there a way to know I'm landing it? I know that if you wait too long it goes back to 2nd level charge so..

-Long sword: So this one charges up right? It seems that I can use the charge to extend my combo a lot. Is that the only use? The blade glows once in a while.

-Sword and Shield: So if I block and use and item I'm still vulnerable to an attack right? Or am I doing it wrong?

I'm having a lot of fun with ranged weapons though. I still need to make a light bowgun to try it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey what's that one great site that's kind of like a wiki but with a white background? I lost all of my bookmarks when I formatted my harddrive.

i was having a lot of trouble bowing my way thru moga, then i saw a bowgun:

Merciless Rage

OMFG taht god damn bowgun is pure magic!

also started trying a lot of new stuff, longsword, sword and shield, lance and i am using the gigi armor ( high rank)

for my G armor i'm getting Helios X, but that damn earth dragongem -__-

wish i had the WiiU version to go online hunting dat jem moran, but i'm saving for a japan trip so, it's gotta last me a good while. Does anyone know if US mh3u works with JP mh3u?

Fewr

-Long sword: So this one charges up right? It seems that I can use the charge to extend my combo a lot. Is that the only use? The blade glows once in a while.

This is a very easy weapon. I haven't tried others, but in my opinion there isn't much depth to LS. Here's what you do:

Combo 1:
X A A X [+ repeat ad infinitum] or [+ evasion move]
This is used when the fight is super easy, or the monster is distracted/hurting, etc. You can suspend the combo at any time to move away if it's about to do an attack that will hit you.
It's not necessary to start with X, I think you can start with A and follow the structure.

Combo 2:
X X + evasion move
Bread and butter for chopping tails that are too high, also used in moments when you don't have much time to attack. You just find an opening, attack, cancel animation with an evasion move, then decide whether to go again or move away.

Evasion Move:
Either roll to the side or front, or press X+A+Direction to cancel (i.e. shorten) the attack animation and decide what to do next. Rolling works if the monster has moved and you need to reposition yourself or if you want to avoid an attack. X+A is used when you're too close and want distance to keep attacking or if you just want to get out with an extra attack.

Combo 3:
R R R R R R R R R R R R R R (when gauge is full or almost full)
This is what charges your weapon and gives it more power. There are three levels: White, Yellow, Red. The sword gradually loses its charge if you take too long to do the combo again. Not all slashes in the combo must hit the / a monster, as long as the last one connects you go up a level, you can even slash at the air the whole time, and connect the last.
Use this when you think you'll have time to execute the whole combo. Also, use the stick to move your angle (a teeny tiny bit) if the monster has moved mid-combo.

General tips:
Always go for the tail first. Keep in mind the position of other players so that you try not to hit them with your slashes. LS has a very wide range so this can be hard sometimes, especially when you're trying to save your charge level, have a very good opening, and decide to take the chance and hit the thing like crazy.

Skills:
Useful skills (in no particular order): handicraft, awaken, evasion, evade distance, focus, gloves off, divine blessing, that skill that makes you ignore deflected hits that I always forget the name (fencing I think).

That's it. You'll have to be very agile because you can't block hits, and like I said, keep an eye on what others are doing, if you see someone charging a move it's probably better to find another spot to land your hits.

Maybe it's not as intricate as other weapons, but it gets the job done. Next game I'm going with hunting bow + bowguns.

tuffy

i was having a lot of trouble bowing my way thru moga, then i saw a bowgun:

Merciless Rage

OMFG taht god damn bowgun is pure magic!
It's like a Duramboros-slayer, complete with 2 levels of rapid-fire pierce shot along with rapid-fire poison and sleep. But all those shots have big recoil times. That makes it less suitable for anything small or mobile since your best alternative, normal lv 2, has a pretty small clip size. So a lot of good, but some definite drawbacks too.

JCX

I am hooked on this now. I actually prefer 3DS' controls to the gamepad or pro controller. Makes me want Phantasy Star Online 2 on Wii U even more.

Fistwell

-Great Sword: So that 3rd level charge, is there a way to know I'm landing it?
Makes a noise, there's a visual effect too, like a flash or something.

Charge levels increase dmg output as well I believe. The sword glows when you've reached at least the first level of charge. There are 3 levels (white, yellow, red).

I'm having a lot of fun with ranged weapons though. I still need to make a light bowgun to try it.
Do it! Rapid-fire crag is awesome!

Does anyone know if US mh3u works with JP mh3u?
It doesn't, it's only US+EU that can play together.

Anybody playing online weekdays evenings (western European time, GMT+2)? Would love to teamup with non-pubs for a change, and my friends' list is depressingly all-offline, all the time. Up for anything really.

But in order to be most effective, you'll need to be staring down the scope in order to put shots in the monster's weak spots
Oh f that! No-scope (360) siege fire barrage out the ass! All day, everyday!

tuffy

Oh f that! No-scope (360) siege fire barrage out the ass! All day, everyday!
I never did use HBG very much, now that I think about it. Pretty much all LBG, all the time.
Bows are so damn weird. I think Bowguns are better, although dunno if I should stick with Ligh or Heavy.
Bows seem to be all about nonstop charging and then loosing arrows so they hit at the shot apex. The upside is there's no ammo limits to worry about, but timing and position are critical. I could never get the hang of it either, for what it's worth.

As for bowguns, light tends to be recommended for solo play since you've got a lot of mobility. Heavy works well in a group because you're likely to have a lot of blademasters keeping the beast occupied and it has a little more versatility since siege fire is optional (unlike LBG's rapid fire). Depends on what you do more of, I suppose.

Fistwell

I think Bowguns are better, although dunno if I should stick with Ligh or Heavy.
Dunno, I go back and forth between them. I appreciate rapid-fire... but then again, if I'm gonna be rooted in a spot for a while, might as well go all-out siege mode. But rapid fire is so efficient in terms of ammo/hit. But then some light guns have ridiculous recoil and/or slow fire rate and/or small clip sizes for beefier ammo.

upandaway

Not sure how I should do this. I could try and use all the weapons that I didn't really use in Tri, or I could try focusing on two weapons completely, or I could try and do what I did with Tri which is basically use every weapon all the time. I'll probably start a new character when I get a Wii U anyways (and part of me wants to start with new weapons "properly" on the big screen)... but whichever I choose, my lances are with me forever <3

Ahh, dilemmas. For now I'm rolling with a GS. Didn't really work with the Wiimote setup but it's so fun on the 3DS.

really don't get any benefit from starting a new character besides changing what charm table you're on.

if you weren't worried about that I wouldn't bother

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Jesus fuck even with a powerful weapon trying to catch Lagi without Cha-Cha at your side is fucking miserable. Hey, I hope you like all of your potions only having half effectivness because without anyone to distract him he will attack you every time you try to use one

The AI is not balanced around only having one target at all

dubq

Getting back into the mix. I also have the 3DS version now (so I can play on the go) but before I do a save transfer -- are there any issues with this? I had read somewhere that it can wipe out your guild cards, among other things. Anyone?

Cerity

Jesus fuck even with a powerful weapon trying to catch Lagi without Cha-Cha at your side is fucking miserable. Hey, I hope you like all of your potions only having half effectivness because without anyone to distract him he will attack you every time you try to use one

Run to an adjacent area to use anything during a fight. Works most of the time, unless you go to sharpen your weapon and the monster is aggressive enough to chase you in there.

I used Lances so much in Tri that I haven't tried them in Ultimate, but with Guard+2 you could easily fight most monsters without trouble.

upandaway

Run to an adjacent area to use anything during a fight. Works most of the time, unless you go to sharpen your weapon and the monster is aggressive enough to chase you in there.
That's only in extreme situations like low health, usually you really don't need to exit the area. Even with Lagi, I can find room for small things, though I'm not sure about traps.

I'll be going without Cha Cha in an attempt to make the game harder so I guess I'll see.

I was totally hooked on this game until about 6 weeks ago and then when I went to play it I thought "maybe I'll play something else for once..." and I've never come back.

Has that happened to anyone else? I just completely lost interest.

So is this still being actively played online?
I was totally hooked on this game until about 6 weeks ago and then when I went to play it I thought "maybe I'll play something else for once..." and I've never come back.

Yep, right here. Playing it for the first time in awhile.

dubq

I got busy with other stuff, but I haven't lost interest. It was always my intention to come back and get into it.. it's just that it's taken three months for me to get to it. ;)

tuffy

So is this still being actively played online?
I haven't had trouble finding rooms full of randoms who know what they're doing, which makes hunts go very smoothly.

I've actually been meaning to reach a good "stopping point" since my game backlog is getting large, but I haven't gotten there just yet. Just a couple more G-rank things to forge...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm getting ready to end my long vacation and return to MH. :) Have to at least beat Ivory Laggy...

Anteo

This is a very easy weapon. I haven't tried others, but in my opinion there isn't much depth to LS. Here's what you do:

Combo 1:
X A A X [+ repeat ad infinitum] or [+ evasion move]
This is used when the fight is super easy, or the monster is distracted/hurting, etc. You can suspend the combo at any time to move away if it's about to do an attack that will hit you.
It's not necessary to start with X, I think you can start with A and follow the structure.

Combo 2:
X X + evasion move
Bread and butter for chopping tails that are too high, also used in moments when you don't have much time to attack. You just find an opening, attack, cancel animation with an evasion move, then decide whether to go again or move away.

Evasion Move:
Either roll to the side or front, or press X+A+Direction to cancel (i.e. shorten) the attack animation and decide what to do next. Rolling works if the monster has moved and you need to reposition yourself or if you want to avoid an attack. X+A is used when you're too close and want distance to keep attacking or if you just want to get out with an extra attack.

Combo 3:
R R R R R R R R R R R R R R (when gauge is full or almost full)
This is what charges your weapon and gives it more power. There are three levels: White, Yellow, Red. The sword gradually loses its charge if you take too long to do the combo again. Not all slashes in the combo must hit the / a monster, as long as the last one connects you go up a level, you can even slash at the air the whole time, and connect the last.
Use this when you think you'll have time to execute the whole combo. Also, use the stick to move your angle (a teeny tiny bit) if the monster has moved mid-combo.

General tips:
Always go for the tail first. Keep in mind the position of other players so that you try not to hit them with your slashes. LS has a very wide range so this can be hard sometimes, especially when you're trying to save your charge level, have a very good opening, and decide to take the chance and hit the thing like crazy.

Skills:
Useful skills (in no particular order): handicraft, awaken, evasion, evade distance, focus, gloves off, divine blessing, that skill that makes you ignore deflected hits that I always forget the name (fencing I think).

That's it. You'll have to be very agile because you can't block hits, and like I said, keep an eye on what others are doing, if you see someone charging a move it's probably better to find another spot to land your hits.

Something I like about that weapon is the huge range, I really miss that when using dual swords. But I'm used to not blocking, played most of the game until now with a switchaxe (curently on 6 star moga, HR3). I'll use that R combo more often now, ty.

Makes a noise, there's a visual effect too, like a flash or something.

Charge levels increase dmg output as well I believe. The sword glows when you've reached at least the first level of charge. There are 3 levels (white, yellow, red).

Do it! Rapid-fire crag is awesome!

It doesn't, it's only US+EU that can play together.

I'll try to pay more atention to the visual effect, until now I had noticed no difference.

I remember seing the different colors on the sword but never knew what they meant, thank you.

dubq

Getting back into the mix. I also have the 3DS version now (so I can play on the go) but before I do a save transfer -- are there any issues with this? I had read somewhere that it can wipe out your guild cards, among other things.

Anyone?

my guild cards have been wiped a good 12 times or more. Doesn't matter how many times I wipe my save + retransfer and say "Yes, please stop wiping my cards and save them" it still does this

I was transferring up to 2 time a day, so I'm not sure if that's part of it or not. I think they could have easily changed how it was transferred so this wasn't an issue, but they chose to do it stupidly.

It's not a huge deal. You're just not getting anything for free

my guild cards have been wiped a good 12 times or more. Doesn't matter how many times I wipe my save + retransfer and say "Yes, please stop wiping my cards and save them" it still does this

I was transferring up to 2 time a day, so I'm not sure if that's part of it or not. I think they could have easily changed how it was transferred so this wasn't an issue, but they chose to do it stupidly.

You are probably doing something wrong. I have transferred saves numerous times between my Wii U and 3DS and never lost guild card data. I had an issue one time because I restored the 3DS backup save and progressed in the game, and then tried to overwrite it with the Wii U save or something. Guild cards were lost but I did some manipulations and after a second transfer I managed to get them back.

You really should read the digital instructions manual of the 3DS transfer app, and the transfer section in the Wii U game's manual. Did you try launching one time the game after erasing the save on the destination console? It will display “creating extra data…” or something. That's what I was missing.

You are probably doing something wrong. I have transferred saves numerous times between my Wii U and 3DS and never lost guild card data. I had an issue one time because I restored the 3DS backup save and progressed in the game, and then tried to overwrite it with the Wii U save or something. Guild cards were lost but I did some manipulations and after a second transfer I managed to get them back.

You really should read the digital instructions manual of the 3DS transfer app, and the transfer section in the Wii U game's manual. Did you try launching one time the game after erasing the save on the destination console? It will display “creating extra data…” or something. That's what I was missing.

yes, I did that. I ran through the whole gamut. I assure I followed the same process as everyone else.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I have also transferred a ton and never lost my 100+ guild cards (most of which I got at PAX.)

Mondriaan

It's not a huge deal. You're just not getting anything for free

That transfer program was probably a rush job, just like the miispeak addition to Tri.

How does it work when you've got both the 3DS cartridge version and digital version? Has anyone tried?

I recently downloaded the digital version thanks to the NoE offer, then I used the “Transfer saves from cartridges to SD card” app. Hopefully this won't cause any issue.

So, when I play with friends, it's always hammer, sword and shield, dual slicers and a bow(gun) (me).

I wanna go into the melee fight, but I'm sure I'm gonna be a liability with my long sword -_-

Is the axe or the lance a good choice ?

Oh wtf I finally streetpassed a person with the game, now what do I do with this card lol

Go to your menu, and register it.

When you are in Tanzia, you will sometimes see him standing there. He can go on full quests by himself and bring you pelts and hides :p

And honey.

Edit: start -> guild card-> register or check

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I love sending my AI pets out to get resources for me. Sometimes they fail and unfortunately I have to get my leather belt out. That'll smart em.

Top Bottom