• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Mondriaan

BTW I'll be getting soon a Wii U to play this online (and play W101 DAY ONE), how are the connections between EU and US for this game? Would love to hang out with MonHun GAF to be honest.
US to EU connections seem fine. Many people in the US have laggy connections even with other people in the US, though.

You will probably have to post here when you want to play with other gaffers. MH GAF might be something like 2-3 people max on any given night.

la_briola

I was charm farming in the Volcano and this one guy kept on hitting me all the time while I was mining. He was mining too.

I asked if he could stop, he didn't. I used a Farcaster and ended the quest. Trolled the troll.

I was charm farming in the Volcano and this one guy kept on hitting me all the time while I was mining. He was mining too.

I asked if he could stop, he didn't. I used a Farcaster and ended the quest. Trolled the troll.

what's the point in charm farming the volcano with others?

Doesn't really make much sense. if you want to charm farm, you eat for explorer in the new level and use bombs to blow yourself up, which is actually faster online.

Its not so boring. :lol

just seems much less efficient. having to wait for people to re-up on farcasters, mega pick axes, etc.

not to mention most people probably arent wearing g rank azorius armor so the animation for hitting rocks isn't sped up tremendously...

you should be able to do a run in about 3 minutes. less if you are only going for enduring charms.

la_briola

just seems much less efficient. having to wait for people to re-up on farcasters, mega pick axes, etc.

not to mention most people probably arent wearing g rank azorius armor so the animation for hitting rocks isn't sped up tremendously...

you should be able to do a run in about 3 minutes. less if you are only going for enduring charms.

I'm doing it solo now and watching twitch on a second screen. Its even less boring. :>

I'm doing it solo now and watching twitch on a second screen. Its even less boring. :>

i find it better to occupy your focus on something else. you get burned out less that way.

actually, finding a decent charm always spikes my interest in farming more. i pretty much gave up on the best charms I wanted like handicraft + 5 with 2 slots :-(

man, would that be nice though

Fewr

I joined a G Rank turns room and we ended up doing an Abyssal Lagiacrus as the quest before I left, that thing hits hard too. I hate when it does the underwater whirlwinds to then throw the electric balls or do the blanka style electricity thing, there's nowhere to hide.

CPCunha

Don't know if you guys are into stuff like this...
Culty is pretty cool, they design awesome stuff based on nerdy things that are part of their lives and i love that most of it overlays with my interests. Anyways, here are some shitty pics i took from their Monster Hunter Beginner's Guide that i got couple of months ago. It's pretty simple stuff but designed with care and i'll use it to lure friends into playing this awesome game.

YIq.jpg

ZIq.jpg

aJq.jpg

bJq.jpg

cJq.jpg

http://www.weloveculty.com

T-0800

Quick question. Is the Wii U version supposed to be 60fps? I've only just gotten a Wii U and tried the demo and was a bit disappointed with the framerate.

Vice

Just got this game as an early birthday gift from my GF. The series ahs always interested me and I could use some begineer tips. How long until the difficultly ramps up? The starting area is a bit of a snooze

Fewr

If you want to learn do village quests, if you're bored of them go to port tanzia (talk to neko means cat) and there you'll find nothing but action. (Might be a bit hard depending on your skills and whether you're going solo or multi)

Also, you could check the quest section at kiranico.com and only do the necessary quests to advance in rank. This applies to both moga village and tanzia port.

JCX

Think I'm ready to join the hunt, but I still have one question. I thought the circle pad pro was compatible with this, but the demo won't let me use it on my XL? Is the full version compatible with the circle pad pro?

tuffy

Think I'm ready to join the hunt, but I still have one question. I thought the circle pad pro was compatible with this, but the demo won't let me use it on my XL? Is the full version compatible with the circle pad pro?
It's odd that the demo doesn't support it, but the full game certainly does.

Chuckpebble

Gearing up for Gold Beard Ceadeus solo on my 3DS. Anybody else got any thoughts on this setup?

Full Azure Los Blademaster gear gemmed for HG Earplugs and Guard Up paired with the Neo Lagia Burst.

I usually gem Guard +1 into this set, but I've decided being able to block his huge difficult to avoid water beams is more important to my success here. That GL seems perfect for this fight, by the way. Has the most raw out of my collection and good elemental to boot.

Quick question. Is the Wii U version supposed to be 60fps? I've only just gotten a Wii U and tried the demo and was a bit disappointed with the framerate.
No, the frame rate is all over the place, but mainly 30fps. The 3DS version is smoother.

MH3U HD is a great port, but they could've worked a bit more on the frame rate side.

Oh and call me crazy, but I think the game runs better on the GamePad (Off TV Play).

tuffy

No, the frame rate is all over the place, but mainly 30fps. The 3DS version is smoother.

MH3U HD is a great port, but they could've worked a bit more on the frame rate side.

Oh and call me crazy, but I think the game runs better on the GamePad (Off TV Play).
Strange as it seems, I think the game looks better on the pad too. It doesn't have a massive amount of detail, so blowing it up on a big screen at 1080p accentuates flaws which aren't apparent on a 480p pad.

I'm surprised they didn't output to TV at 720p and bump up the framerate instead.

JCX

It's odd that the demo doesn't support it, but the full game certainly does.

Thanks for the clarification. Yeah it was weird because I had the circle pad on and the demo had a message saying that MH3 doesn't support it. Going to start playing soon!

taybul

I played almost entirely on the gamepad and I saw a difference too. There's noticeable lag between the pad and the TV (the pad responds quicker). Simply try navigating the menu to see the difference.

Fewr

What's a good low rank armor for GS? I don't really want to spend too much time farming low rank armors like in Tri.

Whatever you feel comfortable with, in my opinion it doesn't matter much at low and high rank. If you still want a recommendation, I think most people go for jaggi / wroggi.EDIT: when jaggi / wroggi feel old they switch to something else to finish the rank.

Pink Rathian won't spawn! Anyone else have this problem during Herd Mentality?

Edit: Never mind she showed I was killing some Jagis

Edit 2: I seriously hate Rathians

No. It runs at an average of 37fps, which is ~25% better than 30 fps (and you can actually notice it even if it's “just” 7 frames). Much better than Tri on the Wii and its numerous framerate drops.

Getting this shipped to me tomorrow! I already own it on 3DS, but I really wanted to play it on a big screen since I feel like this game would be a lot better on one.

Also get to hunt online for the first time. Whoo! Any tips for online?

Also get to hunt online for the first time. Whoo! Any tips for online?

Read the couple pages of the electronic manual (readable when the game is running, in the HOME menu) about online functionnalities, because it's quite an archaic lobby system (similar to MH3 if you played it).

When you transfer your save from 3DS to Wii U with the transfer app, don't forget to enable backup copy in the app's option menu (can't remember if it's on by default).

If you don't plan on using voice chat, buy a (wireless) USB keyboard.

Always use the city search function to find a town according to your needs. Preferably, select “all servers” (don't remember how the parameter is called) + the monster you wish to hunt. In search results or in lobby list, press R to display more information about the lobbies (Hunter Rank of the room creator & room title).

Be nice with people. Be aware you'll meet a lot of German, Spanish and French players.

upandaway

I can finally start playing! A bit of a bummer that I'm going 3DS and not Wii U but oh well. It should work out alright.

I had both a male and female characters for Tri.. so I don't know now. It's such a dang gosh dilemma to choose a gender. I swear I'll be stuck on the new character screen until tomorrow, and it barely even matters!!

Which gender has the better looking sets?

Cerity

Finally getting into the game proper. Forgot about the gap between village and HR quests as well as the amounts of preparation I used to do. Made my new character, got my gunlance, went straight to the port and started the qurupeco hunt.

44 minutes later, succesful hunt.

Fewr

Attn. people new to the game, all you will ever need is GAF OT and kiranico.com, but you can also take a look at these other useful sites:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=55688764&postcount=36
Useful Links

Wikis

Monster Hunter Wikia
Has useful information regarding all things Monster Hunter. It isn't complete, but still has a
lot of information that is useful.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Wiki
Has useful information regarding Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. It isn't complete, but still has
a lot of information that is useful, and refers to the Japanese names of materials, monsters,
and armors.

Miscellaneous

Kiranico - MH3U
A site (the best site IMO) that uses the database that Ping's program uses (the link below),
but is a site. It has weapon trees (that you can actually use CTRL+F on), monster pages
with complete drop rates, and an item search which tells you where you can find the item
and what it can be used for. It is also very mobile friendly (tested on my iPhone using
Google Chrome).

Ping's MH3GDex
A great program for Windows OS that contains information about many things such as
where can you get items, materials required for armors, weapons, and jewels, skills, and
more. It also is on Android as an app!

Athena's Armor Set Search for MH3U
A useful Windows application that can help you build sets that have the skills you want.
It is in English and is still being updated. This is probably going to be a hunter's best tool.

GameFAQs
Contains many helpful guides and tips about Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Website of MH3GSD
A website that contains pictures of every weapon, guild card background, Shakalaka mask
descriptions, and a record of all DLC quests. A great resource for any images you need.
It also has an explanation of what VE Tickets are.

MHag Online App
It is a useful web-app that allows one to determine an ideal (armor) set. It also gives an
easy way to share these sets. Sadly, it refers to monsters and the materials in Japanese.
It is being updated, so that will change soon. There is also a program version.

MHag Application
This is a program that can be used on any OS that supports Java. It is similar to its online
version, but also has a feature that allows you to determine sets based on the skills you
want. However, this hasn't been updated for a long time and refers to monsters armors in
their Japanese names.

What are VE Tickets
This topic explains what the hell VE Tickets do and trust me, you would love it lol.

Charm Tables
There are 17 Charm Tables. Each of the 17 Charm Tables have different charms available.
This can be used to maximize sets with skills (skills are basically effects/abilities that can
help or negatively affect your character). These links are going to help you with Charm
Tables.

Everything About Charm Tables
This is a post on another forum that has an explanation of which charm table is good for
each type of weapon. It also says what each charm table is known for having that is good.
And there is a video there showing how to manipulate which charm table you will obtain.

Charm Table Searcher
Once you send a ship off to fish, you will get a haul. Now you want to note down what you
got and how much of each items you got and enter it into the table in order of how you got
it as shown in the image below. You want to keep on entering in hauls until you only get
one table that has a 'O'.

it's so much easier to find the charm table you're on using athena's charm table. you just plug in some of the charms you have and narrow it down to one table.

Chuckpebble

Gearing up for Gold Beard Ceadeus solo on my 3DS. Anybody else got any thoughts on this setup?

Full Azure Los Blademaster gear gemmed for HG Earplugs and Guard Up paired with the Neo Lagia Burst.

I usually gem Guard +1 into this set, but I've decided being able to block his huge difficult to avoid water beams is more important to my success here. That GL seems perfect for this fight, by the way. Has the most raw out of my collection and good elemental to boot.

Pshh. I spent more time thinking about this fight than I actually spent on it.
Turns out Guard Up was not possible with my current charm allotment. I thought the gems gave +2. Woops.

Anyway, I used the Neo Lagi Burst with HG earplugs, Sharpness, Speed Sharpener and Affinity +20%. I had both lackey's use dragon attack.The whole fight was cruise control.

I guess I was worried because someone on gamefaqs said GL was a horrible weapon choice. That and I had thought that somehow the quest would be Mark of the Hero difficult.

Welp. G-Rank on a 3DS. Not a lick of multiplayer. Game's still great.

JCX

Just got MH3 yesterday. Excited to play with some of you guys soon.

One note, is that the MH3 demo is such an awful representation of this game. I dunno if things were fixed by patches, but the full versions feel much less clunky than the demo.

Gattuso

Well I decided to give up on trying to farm a Brachydios for armor its just not dropping the 2 items I need after spending quite a few hours farming so I'm going to farm a Deviljho. I already have 3 jems and I get a lot of materials from it. of course there's no way i'm doing it by myself and will need some help with the battles. I also don't think I can select the quest for it anyway.

Priz

Anyone here going to the Capcom Monster Hunter event on sat?

I went to the last one and had a great time, it made me upgrade my 3DS to the XL and pick up the circle pad pro. They also gave out some cool stuff (a Wii Classic Controller Pro to all attendees in case you end up playing the Wii or Wii U version). I'll be heading back to this one too. I WANTED to pick up some Blueberry Tartes and bring them to the event for people, but I never made it back to Volks or Gamers Akiba to grab a box. ;_;

jbpj5Rn8mC8RJK.jpg

Fewr

Smoke bombs turn arena battles into the easiest thing ever.
Also there should be a triton/mermaid tail item, I'd wear that all the time even if it took 5 or a whole page of items.
-----
EDIT: post here if you're playing online, I'll come join you (if I'm free) no matter if it's the lowest or highest of ranks.

upandaway

Phew.. landed at table 10. That's a weight off my heart.

I was starting to freak out because I did it when I created the save, but somehow I completely forgot about it and played for about ~7 hours before remembering that I need to check the fish. I can't believe myself sometimes, man.

Hey everyone! Recently got a WiiU and the Monster Hunter game on that, and transferred my 3DS save to the big screen, and boy, it was fun! Although my internet sucks most of the time, I shall eventually get online with you all. Nintendo ID is Dreamcasted, and I play as "Haphinea"

In the meantime, took down the most recent Savage DJ event quest solo... THAT was an interesting fight! Never really did him until then, and while he does pack a strong punch in his 'Gary-Sue' mode, I thankfully dodged and guarded well enough. Did take me almost 45 minutes to do though...

Fistwell

Anybody online right now?

No? Fine. I'll just hang out with pubies then. Give me a shout if someone wants to play in the next cple of hours.

Oh, Tsuchi, why did you have to take that weak-to-fire gunner set to fight agna? It's almost as if I could have seen your 3 quick deaths coming.

Man, finding a good group is like picking peanuts out of poop.

If anybody's lurking and wants to join, I opened a room in W11G-lobby1-Turns-G, no pass.

Danj

Has any kind GAFfer got a spare EU Club Nintendo code from this 3DS game they'd be prepared to part with? The So Many Games promo ends today, I just need one more code. I have Steam games to trade, or any item on Steam worth up to £7, PM if interested.

Thanks very much to Duo014 and Mr.Sam who both helped out with this!

Fewr

Want to go online but I've only finished the first quest. Should I grind some more before going online?
Give it a go in a public room and see how it goes. The noob killer in this game is qurupeco, so after solo-ing it you‘re set to go through the rest of the game online.All of this is just my opinion.

EmiPrime

What should I spend the 2500g the game gives you at the start? My gut feeling is to buy up all the gathering tools like a pickaxe, a harpoon etc.

What should I spend the 2500g the game gives you at the start? My gut feeling is to buy up all the gathering tools like a pickaxe, a harpoon etc.

Ya. You have almost all the initial weapons in your chest, although the Metalpipe hunting horn is pretty good which is around 1000z I think.

Top Bottom