• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Fistwell

Is the axe or the lance a good choice ?
They're all viable. The lance's mobility (while unsheathed) takes a little bit to get used to (the hopping), but it's a fantastic weapon. The axe might be a little easier to get into. That being said, forget both, go for GS, and drop them lvl3 charges like it's raining PAIN.

They're all viable. The lance's mobility (while unsheathed) takes a little bit to get used to (the hopping), but it's a fantastic weapon. The axe might be a little easier to get into. That being said, forget both, go for GS, and drop them lvl3 charges like it's raining PAIN.

Gs?

(A noob appears!)

I've been playing on and off online and offline, but me and my companion seem to have hit a wall. A pink, rathian shaped wall.

We seem to be reliably able to dodge all its most devastating attacks with relative ease, such as the poisonous dive and the quick fire shots. However once she goes into rage mode, she whittles our HP and lives down so fast with combos. What makes it all the more shameful is that these devastating sequences of attacks usually seem to start with something lame, like her just running over one of us when we try to get a hit in.

Any tips on what to do for aspiring Hammer and Switch Axe users when she gets enraged?

Chuckpebble

Go to your menu, and register it.

When you are in Tanzia, you will sometimes see him standing there. He can go on full quests by himself and bring you pelts and hides :p

And honey.

Edit: start -> guild card-> register or check

Can you not hit the gong to summon him if he's not there? Sorry, haven't street passed yet.

Fistwell

Any tips on what to do for aspiring Hammer and Switch Axe users when she gets enraged?
Nothing special. Err on the side of caution with regards to spacing. Remember that her side-bite comes with a fire breath (complete with grossly large hitbox). Give her a wide berth when she winds up her poison backlip, as her corkscrew (melloncollie) modifier has a rather wide lateral hitbox. All in all, when she's raging, you get a lot fewer openings, especially as a hammer user wanting to reach her head.

You could try snaring it into a trap, or, throw a dung bomb

That will make her run away and loose the rage.

Also, upgrade your armor.

And last but not least, guard.

Gah, found out, and thankfully now, my ISP is blocking my ports, basically killing off most of my gaming, including this game. I say thankfully, as I am switching to... someone else soon (not very many choices, but I don't like that they do that, but meh...) Really hoping to get them to change that policy, or whatever, or change to someone else, as I know the Alatreon G-rank is nigh, and I want to fight that with people (but will try to solo!)

Anyway, in the meantime, I have been playing, and succeeding against my old block, Dire Miralis, now 13 times or so. It is fun finding and killing him with the different weapons! (Long sword I still need practice on...)

I only recently realized you could break his head..., I often hit it accidentally with the ballistas/ switch axe swings, but noticed it more than anything, when everything else was busted, and got two eyes for my troubles! (which I needed for a weapon)

Now to get more elder dragon bones...

I'm itching to do some hunts. This game truly lasts for a generation (which is why I bought digitally).

Gonna wait for Pikmin 3 before I jump back!

Kazerei

Banned
What do you guys think of status effect weapons? Worth it? I'm thinking poison or paralyze. I just got to G rank and put together the Bnahabra X armor set. It comes with Status Atk +2, which I'd like to make use of. I know it's not a great armor set, but it looks so suave that I'm sticking with it :p

t22KjgS.jpg

Sorry guys...haven't been in this thread for a while. TLoU and my newborn baby took up most of my time. Haven't touched MH3U in weeks!

IIRC, I'm at HR46....still grinding towards Abyssal Lagi...and I was going to solo Alatreon in Village quest.

How's everyone's progress? Did the EU MH3U bring in new blood here?

Fewr

HR59 to 65 and I haven't got even 1 cloudy moonshard. I'm drowning in Narga mantles though.

I've got tons of work right now, so I'm only monster hunting during weekends.

It's speed really in annoying, but eventually you will get used to it. Use the pitfall mask to score free hits when it's enraged and watch out for the double tail slam.

Well I'm gonna try the sleep + large bomb+ + pit trap and try to get him to 50% at least. Too bad it's gonna get enrames -_-

Deband

Any eu hunters about? I've been playing a bit online, but only with strangers. I think this is why I'm struggling to stay focused.

Do you guys use the Wii u to chat? Could someone recommend a headset? I'm guessing the gamepad is not good.

Mondriaan

Do you guys use the Wii u to chat? Could someone recommend a headset? I'm guessing the gamepad is not good.
I personally think that the gamepad is terrible unless you really don't care that everyone else has to hear all of your background noises as well as an echo of themselves. I'm usually inclined to switch to keyboard only rather than put up with that.

I bought a wii u headset and stopped using it when a friend complained about a strange buzzing noise in the background. Not sure if just mine is defective.

I don't usually use voice chat, but when I do, I use my Vita earphones. :p

Any eu hunters about? I've been playing a bit online, but only with strangers. I think this is why I'm struggling to stay focused.

The Gamepad really isn't too bad. At the moment I either just use it or use it along with a regular pair of headphones (headphones to hear, Gamepad to speak) I do want to pick up a headset for the sake of convenience so I'm going to try a cheap iphone set. Any headset that uses a 3.5mm jack should work with the Gamepad.

also

Banned
Finally killed Lucent Nargacuga. (Green) Nargacuga is often ready for capture before I even break and cut al of its parts but this bastard has so much HP. In the end I had to switch from my farming set to my combat set to get the first kill.

nah

3ds :(

i killed 1!!!!

didn't dropped medulla :(

If you want Medullas, you should be hunting regular Nargacugas.
i6A9JmVdCRWaJ.jpg

Screenshot is from Ping's MH3G Dex.

Kandinsky

I'm probably missing something super obvious but, how the hell do I set a local multiplayer session bewteen 3DS and WiiU, can't figure it out lol

tuffy

I'm probably missing something super obvious but, how the hell do I set a local multiplayer session bewteen 3DS and WiiU, can't figure it out lol
The Wii U person has to host. Go to the "local multiplayer" port and have the 3DS player join in from that side's local multiplayer area.

I'm pretty sure I've reached a point where I need to kill the sand boat monster to proceed. I've cleared all fights through Deviljo and it's the only one left. Any tips to keep my boat from being destroyed?

Kandinsky

I'm pretty sure I've reached a point where I need to kill the sand boat monster to proceed. I've cleared all fights through Deviljo and it's the only one left. Any tips to keep my boat from being destroyed?
What rank?, because I haven't win that yet and I'm currently sitting on G.

Anura

Jhennifer is all about knowing what to do and when

Look up some runs on YouTube to give yourself a better idea

But generally:
Use the gong when he rears up and puffs out his belly

Use the binder when he is about to ram the side (it's also good to note that the binder has a small cool down)

And the dragonater at the front should be used when he appears way far away by the bow. He is gearing up to ram the front and his head will pop out twice and then he will hit you

Use the dragonator as soon as he see his head the second time

What rank?, because I haven't win that yet and I'm currently sitting on G.

He seems to be high village seeing as how it seems he beat jho and is going back to jhen

It would be the other way around in G

Also if you're stuck on jhen you might want to think about a good pierce gun set

Worst night ever! Could not kill shit. Lost like, 30,000 in money failing to kill shit. Beat a low rank Lagombi and quit while I was ahead. :p

also

Banned
That feeling when you realize you brought flash bugs instead of thunder bugs and you can't make any more shock traps...

upandaway

Does abandoning the quest revert my inventory to pre-quest status or not? I pretty much forgot everything.

Edit: also, does the Solo port have stronger monsters or is it just the Multi port?

also

Banned
Does abandoning the quest revert my inventory to pre-quest status or not? I pretty much forgot everything.

Edit: also, does the Solo port have stronger monsters or is it just the Multi port?
It does.

The G rank monsters are stronger. I'm not sure about low and high rank monsters but I think someone said they have the same amount of HP but higher attack.

Anura

Attn long swordians:
Wyvern blade rose or bloom?

I don't usually hav the handicraft skill on.

Purple sharpness gives a pretty big boost to raw and element (an extra 25% for raw and 20% for elemen if I remember right)

White sharpness weapons will almost always do less damage than purple

I'm on 9* village quests now and just had the Ivory Lagiacrus mentioned, yet there isn't an urgent quest. Did I miss something?

Also, I've been wearing G. Jaggi armor through HR. Is it even worth crafting another HR set at this point or should I wait for G-rank/will there be a big stat jump like LR to HR?

Top Bottom