• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

also

Banned
I'm on 9* village quests now and just had the Ivory Lagiacrus mentioned, yet there isn't an urgent quest. Did I miss something?

Also, I've been wearing G. Jaggi armor through HR. Is it even worth crafting another HR set at this point or should I wait for G-rank/will there be a big stat jump like LR to HR?
For comparison, G Jaggi armor (blademaster):
LR: 10
HR: 36
GR: 72

The jump in stats may seem big, but if you forge one of the latter HR armours, you won't feel much difference when starting G-rank. For the second to last Village quest I forged Jhen's armour and I used it without problems throughout G-rank until I unlocked Plesioth and forged my farming set. It has 60 base defence, while G rank armors start at around 70.

So if you like the skills on some of the later HR armors and don't mind grinding the required monsters, go for it.
On the other hand, if you feel your armour is good enough and plan to forge some of the early G-rank sets, stick with it.

Solo and Multi ports are the exact same thing, it's just that wireless communications are turned off in Solo and you can bring both Cha-Cha & Kayamba with you.

Are you sure? In Multi Port monsters have twice the HP compared to the village but they don't seem to have nearly that many HP when fighting them in Port Solo.

I'm on 9* village quests now and just had the Ivory Lagiacrus mentioned, yet there isn't an urgent quest. Did I miss something?

Nope. After I. Lagi is mentioned, quests go on as usual for a bit. I haven't faced it yet, as I haven't played for some time.

I killed Black Diablos once, but the grinding is starting to get to me. I have like 7 sets of armor, and a decent amount of dual blades that I grinded my ass off for. One of them is the Jhen Mogren armor and that... that was annoying. Plus a couple longswords, but those weren't much work at all.

I'm stuck between fighting Brachy again and farming Black Diablos and Steel Uragaan so I can upgrade my weapons some more or just saying fuck it. It's incredibly difficult to do the latter, so here I am.

Malvingt2

Question: there is a better way to get Tailbone from Duramboros? Low/High

I am using traps to cap him and mining Tail and no luck..

I am having a hard time to get such..

also

Banned

I am using traps to cap him and mining Tail and no luck..

I am having a hard time to get such..

I've had the most luck with hunting in Moga Woods when Duramboros appears on the forecast. Reset if you don't get a tailbone.

Are you sure? In Multi Port monsters have twice the HP compared to the village but they don't seem to have nearly that many HP when fighting them in Port Solo.

Port Tanzia is the exact same thing. Solo, Multi (local), Multi (online) monsters have the same number of HP. Also, the amount of HP doesn't scale depending on the number of players. These are all urban legends.

I am using traps to cap him and mining Tail and no luck.. I am having a hard time to get such..

Do not capture him, kill him (unless you've got the Capture Master skill). Example with High Rank Duramboros:
• 2× capture rewards @7 % probability = 1-(1-0.07)^2 = 13.5% chance of getting one
• 4× carves @5 % probability = 1-(1-0.05)^4 = 18.5 % chance of getting one

When you eat, try to get the Felyne Carver (Lo) / (Hi) or whatever its name is – it may give you one additional carve.

Have you got Windows OS? I highly recommend using Ping's MH3G Dex when you want to find how to get a particular item. Here is what it gives with Duram Tailbone:
1373209169-duram-tailbone.png

The web version of the app is kiranico, but it is less complete than the program at the moment.

Malvingt2

Port Tanzia is the exact same thing. Solo, Multi (local), Multi (online) monsters have the same number of HP. Also, the amount of HP doesn't scale depending on the number of players. These are all urban legends.

Do not capture him, kill him (unless you've got the Capture Master skill). Example with High Rank Duramboros:
• 2× capture rewards @7 % probability = 1-(1-0.07)^2 = 13.5% chance of getting one
• 4× carves @5 % probability = 1-(1-0.05)^4 = 18.5 % chance of getting one

When you eat, try to get the Felyne Carver (Lo) / (Hi) or whatever its name is – it may give you one additional carve.

Have you got Windows OS? I highly recommend using Ping's MH3G Dex when you want to find how to get a particular item. Here is what it gives with Duram Tailbone:
1373209169-duram-tailbone.png

The web version of the app is kiranico, but it is less complete than the program at the moment.

Thank you guys.. I have L Narga Armor and Strider armor both with Carving Master skill so in that part I am cover...

Just came back to this after a 3 week break. Getting my arse handed to me in the village quest alatreon. Tips for hammer user? He flies damn often and rages easily!

I assumed the same thing, but after some runs with different amounts of people made it pretty apparent that the stats don't scale at the port. In some fights, I like this a lot. It adds to the challenge. In other fights where you don't have a ton of openings, I wish it could have scaled. It's a little tedious when you're fighting the clock more than the monsters.

Fewr

Wait a second, there's this longsword:
Megrez’s Asterism
726 (raw)
200 POI
+50% affinity

If I use it with a Rath Soul Z armor (Crit Eye +3 = Affinity + 30%, Mind's Eye) I could have a super 80% affinity set? Although it would be element neutral, it seems to be a great all around set. And this is all before any gems.

Opinions? Corrections?

726 (raw) * 1.44 (purple) * 1.25 (affinity) = 1306.8

Anura

Megrez’s Asterism
726 (raw)
200 POI
+50% affinity

If I use it with a Rath Soul Z armor (Crit Eye +3 = Affinity + 30%, Mind's Eye) I could have a super 80% affinity set? Although it would be element neutral, it seems to be a great all around set. And this is all before any gems.

Opinions? Corrections?

The jho LS with sharpness +1 would be doing close to that without the chance of not getting a critical

I think the jho one might be better overall

Megrez’s Asterism
726 (raw)
200 POI
+50% affinity

Opinions? Corrections?

Why ×1.25? It's only if you had 100% affinity. A 50% chance of dealing a critical hit (×1.25 damage) equals to ×1.125.

upandaway

Still trucking along with one GS and my starting armor. I'm having so much fun with the GS.

I decided to bring Cha Cha along for once, and WHOA that's such a huge difference in difficulty. No way I'm using him, sorry little guy!
Now I know why I was so bad at the game after finishing Low Rank in Tri. The multiplayer adding targets to monsters destroyed my skills. Kinda necessary for gunning, though...

How are bows without any help? Never used one seriously.

Jhennifer is all about knowing what to do and when

Look up some runs on YouTube to give yourself a better idea

But generally:
Use the gong when he rears up and puffs out his belly

Use the binder when he is about to ram the side (it's also good to note that the binder has a small cool down)

And the dragonater at the front should be used when he appears way far away by the bow. He is gearing up to ram the front and his head will pop out twice and then he will hit you

Use the dragonator as soon as he see his head the second time

He seems to be high village seeing as how it seems he beat jho and is going back to jhen

It would be the other way around in G

Also if you're stuck on jhen you might want to think about a good pierce gun set
Thank you. I finally beat him with 3 minutes to spare.

Fewr

Why ×1.25? It's only if you had 100% affinity. A 50% chance of dealing a critical hit (×1.25 damage) equals to ×1.125.

Well, it's 80% chance to do 1.25 damage no?
I'd be delivering 1,306.8 dmg 80% of the time, and 1,045.44 (726*1.44) the rest. Given the amount of hits LSers do when they go in and attack (2-4 attacks at least) I think it's fair to assume 1,306 would be normal.

The jho LS with sharpness +1 would be doing close to that without the chance of not getting a critical

I think the jho one might be better overall
You mean Nero's Calamity?
Nero’s Calamity 891
DRA
+5%

891 * 1.44 (purple) = 1,283 95% of the time
891 * 1.44 * 1.25 = 1,603.8 the remaining 5%

Is this the correct way to calculate damage btw?

Anura

I'd be delivering 1,306.8 dmg 80% of the time, and 1,045.44 (726*1.44) the rest. Given the amount of hits LSers do when they go in and attack (2-4 attacks at least) I think it's fair to assume 1,306 would be normal.

Nero’s Calamity 891
DRA
+5%

You should average out the affinity to get a good idea of your damage over time

Basically you have a 20% of doing 1045
So then you do 0.2 * 1045 = 209

And then an 80% for 1306 so
0.8 * 1306 and get 1044

Add those together for your average raw (209+1044 = 1253)

There is a lot more that goes into the overall damage formula but for comparing raw weapons at a glance this should suffice

Fewr

Ah, I see what you mean now. I was too optimistic.

I thnk I'll go for the devil jho sword for now.

------------

I finally got a cloudy moonshard, but I forgot why I wanted that in the first place. Argh.
I might get a second and craft the armor.

Well in your post you said “If I use it with a Rath Soul Z armor” so I assumed you wanted damage first without the Critical Eye bonus.

Nero’s Calamity 891
DRA
+5%

You're making it way too complicated. To take into account affinity, just multiply your affinity percentage (in this case +5% = 0.05) by 0.25 (the bonus damage when you perform a critical hit, i.e. +25%). A +5 % affinity gives an effective 0.05×0.25 = 0.0125 bonus, aka a 1.0125 multiplier.

Then you do 891 × 1.44 × 1.0125 = 1299 attack on average, taking into account the 5 % affinity bonus.

ngower

Hey all,

I'm sure it's been asked time and time again, but I can't find anything through a quick search. I've played the 3DS demo of MH3U, which was my first exposure to the game. The 3DS is my only gaming system, but I've heard so many wonderful things about MH3U and the Monster Hunter series in general. I'm wondering if people could tell me why the game is worth it? It seems a large part of the fun is playing with friends, and I have no friends with the game, and there's obviously no online play.

Just looking for some general feedback.

Cheers.

Hey all,

I'm sure it's been asked time and time again, but I can't find anything through a quick search. I've played the 3DS demo of MH3U, which was my first exposure to the game. The 3DS is my only gaming system, but I've heard so many wonderful things about MH3U and the Monster Hunter series in general. I'm wondering if people could tell me why the game is worth it? It seems a large part of the fun is playing with friends, and I have no friends with the game, and there's obviously no online play.

Cheers.

it's like the combat of Dark Souls, but better. Way more bosses and way more weapons. playing friends is a bonus, but no necessary

upandaway

Hey all,

Cheers.
It's great in single player too. I clicked with Tri (which is pretty similar) straight from the demo, so I'm not sure I can speak your language there, but as far as 3DS vs Wii U goes, there's no reason to hold off on the 3DS version if you don't have a Wii U yet or forever.

The only time I think someone is justified in doing that is if he has a close person he can play online with on the Wii U (where you can progress together at the same pace), and he plans on getting a Wii U in the near future. Otherwise, worst case scenario, just take your save file online later on, it's not like online is less fun if you do it afterwards. And in the case of never getting a Wii U, the game holds dang gosh fine by itself (<- oh yeah).

ngower

it's like the combat of Dark Souls, but better. Way more bosses and way more weapons. playing friends is a bonus, but no necessary

Considering I don't own anything but a 3DS, I've never played Dark Souls.

It's great in single player too. I clicked with Tri (which is pretty similar) straight from the demo, so I'm not sure I can speak your language there, but as far as 3DS vs Wii U goes, there's no reason to hold off on the 3DS version if you don't have a Wii U yet or forever.

The only time I think someone is justified in doing that is if he has a close person he can play online with on the Wii U (where you can progress together at the same pace), and he plans on getting a Wii U in the near future. Otherwise, worst case scenario, just take your save file online later on, it's not like online is less fun if you do it afterwards. And in the case of never getting a Wii U, the game holds dang gosh fine by itself (<- oh yeah).

I don't plan to get a Wii U as I'd have to get a TV too, and I don't have the money to throw down for a system and a television.

I was considering waiting for MH4 given it's supposed to have online for 3DS, but that could be a very very very long wait in North America.

upandaway

I don't plan to get a Wii U as I'd have to get a TV too, and I don't have the money to throw down for a system and a television.

I was considering waiting for MH4 given it's supposed to have online for 3DS, but that could be a very very very long wait in North America.
Supposedly MH4 will be quite different from MH3, in the same way MH3 was from MH1+2, so you won't gain that much from waiting that long. If you want a MH, and you have a 3DS, whether it's the lack of multiplayer or the incoming MH4, I don't think either is a good reason to not get it right now. MH3U right now is the perfect chance to dive into the series.

If it helps you feel better, there's also a good chance of MH4 getting another "better edition" like every MH before it. If you feel like MH4 will come out too close, you can just wait until that version.

tuffy

Actually, since the patch, you can play the whole game without a television at all. It really works quite well.

hyp

quick MH newb question. is there a way to transport to other areas without taking on a quest? for example, I can access moga forest from the map, but is there a way to do the same with other areas such as d. island and sandy plains?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
quick MH newb question. is there a way to transport to other areas without taking on a quest? for example, I can access moga forest from the map, but is there a way to do the same with other areas such as d. island and sandy plains?

Paw Pass quests are basically that. After 5 minutes a Paw Pass will be placed in the blue box, put it in the red box to "win" the quest when you're done gathering stuff and whatnot.

hyp

thanks, was wondering what the paw pass was for. lots of new terminology to learn in this game but having tons of fun with it.

also

Banned
@ngower
If you liked the demo, you will love the final game. If you don't like the demo, try hunting Lagombi a few more time, maybe with some of the faster weapons (double blade, sword and shield), to get a feel for the combat and read the manual to learn what moves you can perform. It can be really intimidating at first, since you are just thrown into the game without any tutorials and the hunts have a 30min time limit instead of the usual 50min, but stick with it and the game will eventually click. If after a few hours you are still unsure, you should get the game since your perseverance makes it highly likely that you will eventually be able to jump over the ugly ''you know nothing but I will treat you like a well versed player'' wall. I realize that a few hours is a huge time investment for a demo, but the pay off is so worth it.

When I first tried it, things seemed so slow and clunky and I didn't really know what to do. I chose the lance but it felt so sloooooow, that I quit the quest after a few minutes. Then I tried the much faster sword and shield and thing felt better and I took down Lagombi. Finally, realizing that I never really used my shield, I switched to dual blades and managed to kill Lagombi even faster. It felt really good. I then moved onto to Plesioth and after many, many attempts, the dumb fish finally bit the dust. As the victory fanfare played, I realized that I had to buy the game day 1; It was just so satisfying and unlike any other game I had ever played.
Since the game would not be released for a couple more days, I tried all the other weapons and completely fell in love with the switch axe, which I then proceed to use for 100+ hours in the full game until I eventually switched to great sword. All in all, I spent almost 15 hours in the demo and I would have spent even more if the game hadn't released that soon.
The game is worth getting even if you will only ever play single player; I have a 200+ hours save file and I still haven't completed all the quest (you can do everything solo). The game has that much content. People will say that this game is a grindfest, but the game has 27 unique big monsters + 24 subspecies which can considerably change how you fight the monster. Then there are also 3 different difficulty ranks; each time you progress, you will be forced to get better and adapt your strategy. Even if you were to only hunt each monster just once (you can't due to the progression system), that's still a lot of original content. You also don't really need to grind that much. I have only really done it 5 times; get LR armor (~5 times), get HR armor (~5 times), get GR armor (~5 times), get GR armor 2 (~6 times), get Brachy materials (~25 times for HR + GR). The latter is the worst offender but even after 20+ fights, I never got bored because each hunt requires concentration, skill and you can feel getting better and better as you complete the hunts faster and faster. If you don't set your eyes on armor or weapons that require super rare materials (or if you are lucky), you will be fine and you won't have to fight the same monster again and again ...unless you become obsessed with min/maxing and start forging your perfect set(s) :p
It's in the "Game Options" in the opening menu, as I recall, right below the useless "Quick Load" option. Swap it over to "type 2" before playing and you're all set.

IIRC, you need a TV to first set up the Wii U.

upandaway

Just spent a good while just killing Royal Ludroth in the island. Were resource points always such a scarcity? Seriously.

Also started to adopt an LS alongside GS and Lance. I was only really using them as hilariously broken DPS spammers in Tri, so now that they're sorta-fixed I can use them properly. Lots of fun.
Not even gonna bother with charts/wikis for weapon trees before HR at this rate :lol

Just spent a good while just killing Royal Ludroth in the island. Were resource points always such a scarcity? Seriously.

Also started to adopt an LS alongside GS and Lance. I was only really using them as hilariously broken DPS spammers in Tri, so now that they're sorta-fixed I can use them properly. Lots of fun.
Not even gonna bother with charts/wikis for weapon trees before HR at this rate :lol

What's your starting LS? I can't decide if going status with the wroggi one or just go elemental.

upandaway

What's your starting LS? I can't decide if going status with the wroggi one or just go elemental.
I went with the Canine Katana, and it was so easy to upgrade, I went all the way to Ananta Boneblade+ on the spot, which is status (PA) and really high attack for 4 stars. I totally lucked out because it can be upgraded to Wyvern Fire, haha

So far I'm getting 2 shots of paralyze per monster stronger than a R.Ludroth, so it's pretty great (drowning in tails at the moment thanks to that), but I'm going Wyvern Fire as soon as I dang can.
Considering how much easier it is to get the status food buff in this game compared to Tri, I'm guaranteed to have at least one status weapon for each class I'm using.

Just a quick heads-up (and I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned) but the new aluminium 3DS cases are on the capcom store again. Just ordered a red Stygian Zinogre one.

Cerity

Is it just me or have the changed up Barioth's behaviour? I remember there being more charging, wall jumping and tail spinning in tri/p3rd.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't played in a long time, interested in coming back for that event stygian zinogre. Is it as buffed as the event ivory lagi?

It's amazing how quickly you get used to the monsters that used to thrash you real hard only a week ago. Pink Rathians used to intimidate the hell out of me, but now she's just another monster I actively seek out and destroy when she invades my other hunts. My character might not level up, but it sure feels like I did myself.

Is it just me or have the changed up Barioth's behaviour? I remember there being more charging, wall jumping and tail spinning in tri/p3rd.
As far as I could tell, he seemed like his usual pouncing self, starting from HR. I assume his moveset depends on the amount of space he has to work with or the area he's in.

They removed its signature move where it attacks with its wings, as you can see at 1:34 on this video, probably because now Nargacuga is in the same game and has a similar move. Compared to Tri (can't talk about MHP3rd since I haven't played it) it got a new hipcheck attack. Besides these 2 differences I believe the rest of its attacks have not changed since Tri.

Cerity

Well that's disappointing. The pouncing deal was probably one of the funnest parts of the fight. Now it's just dealing with the generous hip check and snowballing. Hopefully it still does the wall jumping, otherwise it's going to be boring fights whenever I use hammers :V

Thanks, Atmej and Vermillion, for answers my questions a few days ago. I forgot to reply.

I'm in the middle of a detour before fighting I. Lagi. I have no way of cutting tails and figured that's a big issue, so I went back to LR Rath, got parts and made the uh...red, Rath fire lance. Upgraded that, and just now got a Rath ruby from A. Rath to upgrade to Spear of Prominence. Any advice on where to take it from here? If I take the A. Rath path I can farm him now and upgrade. However, the g-rank Rath path upgrades to white sharpness.

I'm going to practice with the lance some and then hopefully farm Zinogre so I can make his armor, then take it and brutalize I. Lagi.

High hopes, I know. Lance seems tough to learn.

That looks really cool, but does it cover uh, third gen? Is that the right term? MH3U is my first MH.

Top Bottom