• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

IIRC, there was a Plessie + Green Plessie quest in MHFU. Not sure if it's still in MH3U.

...and yeah..my Pierce Lvl 4 thunder bow came in damn handy in that quest.

Yeah, it was G-Rank and in the Old Jungle. I really really hated that quest. Can't have enough Sonic Bombs and the foliage blocks the screen.

Pikma

Banned
Man, Monster Hunter, what a fine series I was missing, I was one of the first persons to hint about the possible localization of this game in one of the older threads, but I had never played one at the time, and now... now I understand it all, the game hooked me instantly, 50 hours in that feel like a mere hour, it's fucking addicting, should have bought it digital instead since now it just won't leave the cartdrige slot. I'm loving it.

Neki

Lol WTF at this Plesy + Lagi quest. Only thing worse would be a double Plesy one, haha.

good thing for me is that Plesioth stayed above ground the whole fight while Lagi just hung around in the water 10 meters away, managed to limp him before even touching Lagi.

Kyzon

I had to mix and match a bunch of random stuff, but I have Awakening now.

My janky negative affinity (amazing looking) scythe is beast! Now to get back to those 5 star commodities and finish my pumpkin armor... tomorrow or something.

LOL. Tigrex might be a nun in MHP3...but it's still a damn iconic and formidable mob. It was also one of the major walls for newbies in MH. I miss the Tigrex in MH3U.

But Rajang...damn that Saiyan Gorilla. I played like hundreds of hours of MH...and I met Rajang....and I felt like a noob again. Another major wall.

Hip check hitbox from MHFU...that's the where the fun is at! LOL

Seriously lol, I was hyped when I heard Plessy was going to be back but then I fought him and I was like, that's it?

Rajang better never come back, ever... I haven't had a boss beat me as bad as he did. Tiggy killed me in freedom 2 but when I got good he was ok, not terribly hard but yea I'm surprised he wasn't back like he was in MHP3, they have a subspecies there.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Do the 30 Shark arena in Tanzia.
Oh boy, I haven't seen it but I'm sure I will want to thank you when I'm done with it. I'll get sharskins from in the rewards right?

It was dull doing shark runs only to not getting sharskins after capturing the Lagiacrus.

Riposte

just fought duram-w/e solo online and could not kill it in time. it is crazy, i was beating the shit out of him almost the whole time.

edit: bowgun seems more costly than i thought it would be.

ryz

Followed by Plesioth(s). Fuck that fish, its tailwhip that shouldn't hit that low and the forward charge that grabs me from anywhere around its feet.

Is Green Plesioth's hipcheck hitbox bigger than regular Plesioth's? Certainly feels like it.

Okay so I think I finally clicked with this game, I am about 14 hours into it, but I still feel a little lost reading some of your posts.

Anywho, I'm stuck trying to capture the giant bear dude on the two star quest.
Any tips?

ryz

Okay so I think I finally clicked with this game, I am about 14 hours into it, but I still feel a little lost reading some of your posts.

Anywho, I'm stuck trying to capture the giant bear dude on the two star quest.
Any tips?

Hit him until he's limping away and follow him to the next area. THEN lay your shock trap, lure him into it and while he's busy getting electrocuted instantly throw at least two tranq bombs in his honey smeared face.

ekim

Monster Hunter newbie here - got the game bundled with my 3DS and I'm completely lost because I didn't really pay attention during the initial few hours. Is there any beginners guide that also explains the terminology used in the game? (I might add that I play it in German)

ryz

Monster Hunter newbie here - got the game bundled with my 3DS and I'm completely lost because I didn't really pay attention during the initial few hours. Is there any beginners guide that also explains the terminology used in the game? (I might add that I play it in German)

Hm, i think this should help: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC403C63382C94AE3

Btw: i also speak German, but i play in English. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Mupod

just fought duram-w/e solo online and could not kill it in time. it is crazy, i was beating the shit out of him almost the whole time.

edit: bowgun seems more costly than i thought it would be.

Depends on the bowgun. I barely spend 200z per quest and I refill my ammo at full price from the lady at the tavern counter, but I have a high raw/affinity HBG that focuses on pierce 2 and normal 2/3.

When I start using crag 2 to KO monsters though, it goes up since I need to buy fish from granny. And if I want to use exhaust 2, I can't even buy that fish! I have to hope the fleet brings me Wanchovies. Status bowguns run into a similar issue, especially if you're bringing extra ammo on quests for combines. But I mean, I have zenny in the millions now so I don't give a shit.

As for duramboros, you can beat on him all day but if you're not hitting his humps you're not really doing very much. I see so many people scatter to the edges of the area whenever he starts spinning and it pisses me off because it means he targets them, starts moving and becomes impossible to knock out of it. Just get under him and hit him, goddammit.

He gets tired very easily too because he's fat, at which point you can pitfall him for easy hump access. Er, that sounds bad. But do it anyways.

What seems to be the problem? Killing it too quick?

I was killing the guy but I guess I didn't throw enough tranq bombs at him.
Ill try this tonight.

I think I will farm some great jaggies until I can make their armor, seems to be an improvement over my Rhenoplos Armor.

DaBoss

Lance + Plesioth + Underwater = Plesioth Dead

Seriously though, this is a winning combination.

When do DLC quests update? Mondays or Tuesdays?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Ill try this tonight.
If you do it right, he'll be captured at the second tranq bomb you throw at him. Just wait for him to limp (the animation makes it obvious) before laying he trap.

BTW, for the veteran hunters is there something determining how many tranq bombs you have to throw? Would it be possible to capture a monster earlier with a group if everyone throws tranqs in succession? Just wondering.

Mondriaan

Here are some annoyances with this game- why do decorations take up slots in the item box? They should have had a separate box for that, but instead I will probably create some equipment for the sole purpose of getting those gems out of the item box, but it's kind of bullshit that you can lock yourself out of equipment sets by not having enough empty slots in your item box.

Why do furnishings go into the item box? And there's no way of showing them off. Why? I'm definitely selling off all my furnishings after I get that stupid award for getting them all because I don't have space for that garbage.

I should have started going for the all poogie costumes award first. At least they don't take up slots in the item box while they're not being worn.

Managing the item box has to be one of the more tedious, non-fun aspects of the game. It should really just be a list that lets you keep up to 9999 of everything.

Mupod

Ill try this tonight.

I think I will farm some great jaggies until I can make their armor, seems to be an improvement over my Rhenoplos Armor.

2 tranq bombs, no more no less (only exception is if you have negative armor skills that weaken status, I can guarantee you don't right now). If two doesn't do it, don't throw more, just hit him and maybe it'll push him over the hp threshold. Do not confuse drooling with weakness - that's a sign of low stamina, not low HP. To be absolutely certain, wait for him to limp off and go to sleep then drop the trap on top of him.

Capturing Arzuros is actually much harder than most other monsters because he's so fragile. Boggles my mind that they made him the first capture quest. I don't remember offhand what makes Perception gems, but check the Decorations list at the blacksmith - if you can craft 5 Perception decorations and slot them into your armor, you get a skill called Capture Guru. This makes it so when a monster is marked with a paintball, once it's weak enough for capture its icon on the minimap will start flashing. Very useful for when you absolutely do not want to accidentally kill something.

I also highly recommend bringing extra traps and tranq bombs. You can get trap tools and tranquilizers from the store. Granny in the marina (talk to the cat in the bottom left of moga village) can sell bomb casings and thunderbugs. Tranq + bomb casing for tranq bomb, thunderbug + trap tool for a shock trap. I'm sure you already have some of these things from gathering, of course. Spiderweb + Ivy = Net, and Net + trap tool = pitfall trap as well. But I try and save those since they are more useful later on when you can use them to do tons of damage on a trapped monster.

Rize_21

If you think(or have the perception skill)that the monster is ready to be captured,you can:

-throw a first tranq bomb while he limps,then throw a second one once he's in the trap.
-throw two tranqs bombs while he limps,once trapped,he'll be captured instantly,you have 5 seconds roughly before the effect of the tranqs bombs vanish.

On an unrelated note,Alatreon down,thanks for the tips again :),the farcasters were extremely useful to reset him(just like when you feint and go back in the fight).
Got something like 4 elder blood dragon on carving,I think that he should be absolutely fun to fight with a heavy/bowgun,especially to bring him down like the Fatalis,the animation where he falls when he flies completely destroys his dignity ah ah ah!I used the ballistas
when he was about to release the ice blocks all around the map.

insin

Neo Member
Any suggestions for a GS user besides the obvious "don't let him hit you"? I mean - holy crap they take off the kid gloves with this guy and it totally took me by surprise. I even had my Shakala's setup for support and everything.
The other obvious: watch dem openings!

When he's tail spinning, you can stand right under him safely enough.

When he swinging towards you, run toward and to the side so you're just missing getting hit by his head/tail and swing round to chase him down so you're close enough to get a hit in when he stops - if he's in rage mode, RUN DIRECTLY SIDEWAYS, as he homes in slightly and will splat you.

He always stomps with the right foot - if you're making an approach from the side or standing under him, stick to his left leg or be in a position to roll to it.

When he's sweeping a rock towards you and you're close enough to try to get in for a hit, run to the right as he whips his tail the other direction.

I've never GSed a Jho, but I imagine it's problematic that he has a turning bite move, which he uses even more when hungry, where it inflicts a defence down debuff.

Am I broken because I don't like playing by myself? MonHun isn't MonHun without other people for me.
I felt the same until I spent almost 200 hours playing MHP3rd HD - now I'm used to the predictability of the monsters' movement and regularity of flinching with all that playing on my own, plus I've soloed everything up to and including Alatreon, whereas in Tri there would have been monsters I'd have avoided fighting solo.

There's still nothing like it when you've got a good group of people together, though...

Mupod

Here are some annoyances with this game- why do decorations take up slots in the item box? They should have had a separate box for that, but instead I will probably create some equipment for the sole purpose of getting those gems out of the item box, but it's kind of bullshit that you can lock yourself out of equipment sets by not having enough empty slots in your item box.

Why do furnishings go into the item box? And there's no way of showing them off. Why? I'm definitely selling off all my furnishings after I get that stupid award for getting them all because I don't have space for that garbage.

I should have started going for the all poogie costumes award first. At least they don't take up slots in the item box while they're not being worn.

Managing the item box has to be one of the more tedious, non-fun aspects of the game. It should really just be a list that lets you keep up to 9999 of everything.

I'm currently engaged in a battle with my item box as well. I don't think I'll be filling my equipment box anytime soon but since I keep at least 1 of everything you can get from every monster, the item box is in rough shape. It'd be fine if they gave us one or two more pages even. I'm doing okay now that I trimmed the fat a bit by getting rid of stuff I don't need like purchasable bowgun ammo, fish bait, so on. But I don't want to get rid of monster parts or decorations.

I might even sell off my extra furnishings once I get the award. I do miss being able to show them off to other players in my online house, you could do that in Tri if you never played it. Hopefully that feature returns in MH4. I blame its absence on this game being a 3DS port.

If you think(or have the perception skill)that the monster is ready to be captured,you can:

-throw a first tranq bomb while he limps,then throw a second one once he's in the trap.
-throw two tranqs bombs while he limps,once trapped,he'll be captured instantly,you have 5 seconds roughly before the effect of the tranqs bombs vanish.

yeah that's how I do things usually, I have a very good sense for when monsters are weak (I must subconsciously count staggers or track rage mode frequency) but it's not always perfect. So I pre-tranq and if they aren't captured I hit them a few more times to push them over the cap threshold.

Had a hilarious moment last night where i was freehunting and had a Crimson Peco limping, had my pitfall trap down as he was entering the area and hit him with two tranqs. He starts up his flintstone move, takes one hop forward and as soon as he lands he drops into the pitfall into his capture animation. It was just incredibly funny looking.

Time runs out on Mark of a Hero, with only Brachy left and plenty of pots.

UCFFWJA.gif

vareon

2 out of 4 Dire Miralis runs for today.

What's the effective way of killing him? We just kinda hacked its part until it's dead, with dragonator and ballista a few times.

Arveene

Neo Member
So I've managed to solo ALL quests through level 8 and all but a couple of 9 star quests and the
urgent quest to fight Deviljho
just opened up. I figure, eh, I've faced him before in a couple of quests when he's shown up and learned to respect his enraged mode but I've never actually killed him. I've made it through every single quest the first time I've tried it except the first time I faced Duramboros (I forgot to bring traps and just ran out of time whittling down his health) and the first time I faced Ceadeus. I've never carted three times in any quest and failed it.

Now, normally, I only ever bring the following to fights I expect to be tough:
10 pots
10 mega pots
10 honeys
energy drinks
painballs
dung bombs
tranqs, traps, and stuff to make new traps
whetstones

I travel light and I've never had to bring a bunch of miscellaenous stuff with me like drugged meat, flash bombs, etc.

So I figure, eh, this should be a tough fight, but I just built my Rath Soul set that I took out
Ivory Lagiacrus
EASILY with in the first try (that was a pushover fight) and I've got my Ancharius Sword which is about as good a GS as I can get at my rank but just in case I actually added a couple of Max Potions to the mix, figuring if I get carted then at least I can get up to max health again after a cart.

Can I just say
holy fucking shit
?!?!? What the HELL do I do against this guy? I haven't gotten slapped around that hard since MHFU days. Not only is his rage mode total BS but I have to keep my health topped off at all times in case he decides he wants to
start EATING ON ME

Any suggestions for a GS user besides the obvious "don't let him hit you"? I mean - holy crap they take off the kid gloves with this guy and it totally took me by surprise. I even had my Shakala's setup for support and everything.

8-0

Just saw this post. Standing under his legs is probably the safest area. I find I can easily get off level 3 charges consistently while there. I can never stress this enough, but you should always have dung bombs on you. Something unexpected shows up? Dung bomb. Los, Jho, or some other monster pinning you? Dung bomb. Ideally, you'll be under him so his breath attack in rage mode will just be free hits for you. If you find yourself not being able to get under him, you can actually dodge roll through it without E+1. While attacking him, you don't want to chain attacks very often. You want to get in, get the attack off, get out, sheathe, and repeat. If you're trying to combo charges under him you'll find yourself out of position often, and usually be in a bad spot when he decides to use his stomp attack.

What's the effective way of killing him? We just kinda hacked its part until it's dead, with dragonator and ballista a few times.

That's basically it. If it's glowing, hit it. Eventually he goes into armor mode and the only weak spot is his chest, hit that until it stops glowing and he should be almost dead by then. Be careful when he goes into Fatalis mode (when he's on 4 legs), he can easily snap and drag you to death.

Mupod

that's pretty much the way to go. Breaking the chest stops his armor mode, and breaking the wings temporarily stops him from pooping fire everywhere.

There's nothing on his hitzones in the guide so I pretty much just go on feeling. Once all his weak spots are broken the only piece that still feels 'meaty' when you hit it is his face. And I'm not even sure what you're supposed to stagger to cause him to fall down in order to get access to the head. His legs? That weakpoint on his tail? I've seen him fall down 3 times consecutively but I have no idea what parts my allies were beating on.

I think if you're gonna use ballistas, save them for the end of the fight. Dragonators should only be used opportunistically, don't try and lead him there that's a waste of time. He should naturally end up in front of them a couple times over the course of the fight.

OMG! WTF?

Was under Lucent Narga lancing and I was getting bum rushed by a sword mode Switch Axe, Long Sword spirit combos and Great Sword up swings.

I was either on my back, my knees or slowly floating to the ground

What is wrong with people?

Barely survived my encounter with G Rank Brachy. On the bright side, I have enough materials to upgrade my slime SA.

Now I need to get a Pallium from ol Punchy.

I also got two Narga Medullas total, so I was able to make Hidden Gemeni Dual Blades and Hidden Axe SA.

Aieyla

Neo Member
How much does "Coating Boost" affect a coating?

I'm thinking about whether to pursue the Daedalops Bow, a sleep SnS, or a bowgun for sleep bombing. Thoughts?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
How much does "Coating Boost" affect a coating?

I'm thinking about whether to pursue the Daedalops Bow, a sleep SnS, or a bowgun for sleep bombing. Thoughts?

Quickly looking around, it looks like it gives you a similar boost to Status Attack +1, which is a x1.125 boost. If you could get in an extra round of Sleep, I guess it could be worth it. I personally enjoy using Bowgun for my sleep bombing (also because of the other options Bowguns provide), but I don't know if it's the most effective. I personally use Bomb Boost with my Sleep set and use guns that have Rapid Crag shots, so further boost my damage output.

King_Moc

Banned
OMG! WTF?

Was under Lucent Narga lancing and I was getting bum rushed by a sword mode Switch Axe, Long Sword spirit combos and Great Sword up swings.

I was either on my back, my knees or slowly floating to the ground

What is wrong with people?

Yup. as a hammer user, i'm constantly getting randoms spirit comboing me when i'm attacking the head.

Edit: Created a room in the usual place if anyone's about.

vareon

And done. Not that hard when you know the patterns. Got all the rares too, but still a few materials short from the equipment.

Black Diablos is still the one that gave me most trouble!

insin

Neo Member
Has anyone done any "Prometheus Guide To Monster Hunter" type comics or videos? It's rather hard to search for as that also seems to be the name of custom firmware for the PSP.

The obvious one I'm thinking of is Uragaan rolling towards you...

Actually, it is kind of funny that "run sideways" is one of the major pieces of advice you could give anyone about playing Monster Hunter.

Hoodbury

Went back and played some Moga Village quests yesterday. I didn't know they give HR points. That was a pleasant surprise. I had thought only Tanzia Port quests gave HR points.

Mark of a Hero is such bullshit. Clearly you're not supposed to be using dual swords, but any other weapon makes me want to through my GamePad through the window. Ugh. I think I might finally be done with this game.

I just started getting into this game yesterday. Gave up Great Swords in favor of Long Swords and I can't really see myself looking back.

Any tips for someone starting out?

Schwabe

Yup. as a hammer user, i'm constantly getting randoms spirit comboing me when i'm attacking the head.

Edit: Created a room in the usual place if anyone's about.

then you are playing with bad people... i am a long sword user since they joined the series, switched over from GS after MH (PS2). Back in the days on PS2, it was the same. Lance guys complained about GS, now it's the LS.

but it's only bad people. There are only 4 spaces on quest, and all of the monsters (maybe except the bird-wyvern xD) are big enough for all 4 hunters without getting too much in trouble with each other...

but, there are too many bad people around. people who are egoistic and people who have no heart of a hunter ... but, they exist since 2005 and they won't fade away ... that's the hunter's life, we've chosen :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I just started getting into this game yesterday. Gave up Great Swords in favor of Long Swords and I can't really see myself looking back.

Any tips for someone starting out?

Revisit the Great Sword after you get into the meat of the game a bit. Great Sword is a weapon with awesome power, but it's tough to learn if you're just starting out with Monhan for the first time because of how slow it is. Don't be afraid to try other weapons as well. I use Hammer, Hunting Horn, Switch Axe and Light Bowgun. No need to limit yourself, as the different play styles provide a lot of variety.

For just starting out, gathering everything and gather a lot. You'll need everything. Mushrooms, Herbs, Honey, Spider Webs, Ore. Carry Potions with you at all times and work on building up an inventory of capture supplies (ie; Thunderbugs to make Shock Traps, Tranqs). Spend a few minutes in Moga Woods to cook up some meat so you don't have to worry about it during Quests, etc.

If you want to see how other people play, don't be afraid to jump online (assuming Wii U) and do some of the easy quest. People are generally very nice when it comes to accommodating new players.

then you are playing with bad people... i am a long sword user since they joined the series, switched over from GS after MH (PS2). Back in the days on PS2, it was the same. Lance guys complained about GS, now it's the LS.

but it's only bad people. There are only 4 spaces on quest, and all of the monsters (maybe except the bird-wyvern xD) are big enough for all 4 hunters without getting too much in trouble with each other...

but, there are too many bad people around. people who are egoistic and people who have no heart of a hunter ... but, they exist since 2005 and they won't fade away ... that's the hunter's life, we've chosen :p

Yes, bad players are going to send you flying / tripping regardless of the weapon. Like I said before, Long Sword / Dual Swords seems really popular with the new players, so I see a lot more of those guys (when I play with randoms) tripping teammates. But you will occasionally run into someone like a new Hammer user that has just discovered the Super Pound and is spamming it in the middle of a group of teammates, or a Switch Axe user randomly discharging in a group.

If you join randoms and they're bad players just leave after the quest is over. Don't fret over it.

Kyzon

Revisit the Great Sword after you get into the meat of the game a bit. Great Sword is a weapon with awesome power, but it's tough to learn if you're just starting out with Monhan for the first time because of how slow it is. Don't be afraid to try other weapons as well. I use Hammer, Hunting Horn, Switch Axe and Light Bowgun. No need to limit yourself, as the different play styles provide a lot of variety.

For just starting out, gathering everything and gather a lot. You'll need everything. Mushrooms, Herbs, Honey, Spider Webs, Ore. Carry Potions with you at all times and work on building up an inventory of capture supplies (ie; Thunderbugs to make Shock Traps, Tranqs). Spend a few minutes in Moga Woods to cook up some meat so you don't have to worry about it during Quests, etc.

If you want to see how other people play, don't be afraid to jump online (assuming Wii U) and do some of the easy quest. People are generally very nice when it comes to accommodating new players.

Yes, bad players are going to send you flying / tripping regardless of the weapon. Like I said before, Long Sword / Dual Swords seems really popular with the new players, so I see a lot more of those guys (when I play with randoms) tripping teammates. But you will occasionally run into someone like a new Hammer user that has just discovered the Super Pound and is spamming it in the middle of a group of teammates, or a Switch Axe user randomly discharging in a group.

If you join randoms and they're bad players just leave after the quest is over. Don't fret over it.

That's my girlfriend all the way. Weird thing is though. We got into a group with two randoms, and all of a sudden there's no more discharges or anything from her. I'm just getting upswinged and super pounded every 30 seconds from the others. Good thing I had kickboxer though ;) I kicked the shit out of both of them.

taybul

I thought I've seen it all but I was in a room where a lancer decided to charge right into the 3 of us while a monster was trapped. Seemed to be the only thing he was doing the entire time too.

Also, Nintendo has started selling reurbished 3DS's starting at $100 and up. Kinda tempted to take my addiction on the road.
That's my girlfriend all the way. Weird thing is though. We got into a group with two randoms, and all of a sudden there's no more discharges or anything from her. I'm just getting upswinged and super pounded every 30 seconds from the others. Good thing I had kickboxer though ;) I kicked the shit out of both of them.

Had to read this a few times to make sure there wasn't any intended innuendo :)

blackflag

Well yeah but when you are farming for something specific you usually gotta go with other randoms doing the same and i'd say at least half the people that play this game are terrible at it whether they are G rank or not.

King_Moc

Banned

Yeah, i know. I'm not great at the game myself, but i know which part to hit. Though i do sometimes struggle to get to the head with the hammer. I also use Long Sword, or 'easy mode' as i call it.

You seem really angry at everything.

Yes, Mark of a Hero is doable with Dual Swords. This guy manages and he's not exactly a high level master player.

This game makes me angry. It's so close to being my "perfect" game that I could play forever, but then there are these glaring flaws that nearly kill the experience. They could be fixed so easily too. It's just infuriating! I wish that MH wasn't so popular in Japan so maybe Capcom would modernize it. With just a few tweaks...

Anyway, I finally beat Mark of a Hero without carting. I had a few lucky breaks with Ivory Lagi (the only hard part of the quest) so I finally had enough time to whittle down Brach and Rath. I feel no sense of accomplishment though, just relief to be done with that bullshit quest.

Top Bottom