• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seregios in village is a joke. I carted twice real quick learning his moves, then bashed his face in with quickness. Loaded it up again and didn't get close to dying and it went by quick.

Made his hammer.

I'm sure it'll be much harder online
Not really. Steve is easy... you'll see plenty of people using it as their 1st/2nd G set.

King_Moc

Banned
That one is HR. And you should be used to it because you unlock it after clearing some HR missions (including HR Gore).

It's not low rank. There's a reason you have to reach HR5 before the quest unlocks.

Yeah, but it's in the low rank section? And I've certainly not fought a Gore Magala like this before. Not in offline anyway. When my health is at 100%, I think he can actually OHKO me.

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah, but it's in the low rank section? And I've certainly not fought a Gore Magala like this before. Not in offline anyway. When my health is at 100%, I think he can actually OHKO me.

That's the MH4 post-game section, hence why it has high rank quests in it. 6 is both low and high rank and 10* is both high and G rank.

The dlc is every month right?

Anyways, I'll be able to play and do some G rank stuff in like 10 mins guys!

It should be weekly.

blackflag

Not really. Steve is easy... you'll see plenty of people using it as their 1st/2nd G set.

I guess I'm not surprised

It's a cool looking model at least.

His movement is super easy to predict and his blades are easy to dodge. Other thing I noticed is if you are right near him you can just obliterate him when he roars even without earplugs. You come out of the stun faster than he comes out of the roar.

jorgejjvr

That's the MH4 post-game section, hence why it has high rank quests in it. 6 is both low and high rank and 10* is both high and G rank.

It should be weekly.
I heard the last Nintendo voice chat and a capcom rep said it's once the first Friday of every month starting on March 6, they will now be doing large chunks of dlc per month and not per week it seems

yami4ct

Speaking of the DLC, I'm assuming at least some of it has hit in Japan already. What're we looking at in terms of quality? Anything as good as Colorful Beasts? Absolutely adored that one in 3U not only because those monsters where fun to fight in one quest, but it made getting Narg Medulas, Rath Gems and Zinogre Jaspers super easy.

So, in my efforts to defeat B. Gravios, i've begun to just breed my own hunters. I have a niece and nephew entering high rank this weekend hopefully, and i'm going to try and get my brother into this.

tuffy

All I know for sure is that apparently Forceshot Jwl 3s take Ruby Basarios parts, and the only way to get him seems to be a couple of event quests. So they can't get here fast enough.

Vena

Quick question: can you not capture Shagaru Megala on the first fight?

I've tried a few times now and Perception won't trigger showing it as "ready for capture" and I've even tried calculating its health per hit till its in the weak zone, and it still won't capture under any circumstance it seems.

So is the scripted Caravan fight a forced kill? I ask because I try to capture everything on the first encounter, and I'd hate to kill such a pretty dragon. (I brutally murder the Rath couple whenever possible, however! Must carve their bodies for plates.) :p

yami4ct

All I know for sure is that apparently Forceshot Jwl 3s take Ruby Basarios parts, and the only way to get him seems to be a couple of event quests. So they can't get here fast enough.

Doesn't R. Basarios show up in High Rank Expeditions? Pretty sure it said I unlocked him there after I beat Black Gravios.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I needed another Chilling Beak, so I fought him again.

CARVED A CHILLING BEAK.

GOT A MARROW IN THE QUEST PRIZE.

qtmXq.gif

Well, it just makes it hard to strategize anything interesting. Traps can be wasted, no one can really be a disignated tank. Its just a dps show.

After playing a bunch of games like this, I think tank and spank is pretty lame and takes less skill honestly. Like in Tera, even though it's action based and you have can use iframes and dodges and what not to not take any hits, once people go in typical dungeon mode and have tanks aggro everything, it just becomes about the dps doing rotations and then dodging for bigger attacks to not get hit or if the mob wipes aggro. You can solo BAMs like a typical action game but dungeon bosses become tank and spanks is disappointing.

Vindictus has boss AI work similar to Monster Hunter in that if they see you use an item, they would prioritize you, and ranged classes that stay far away usually have to pay attention because bosses like to leap at them. If bosses held aggro to one person it would take less strategy and skill to find an opening to use a heal, which would give up your opportunity to do something else like more damage, sharpen, or set up traps. Everyone has ways to avoid getting hit, it's entirely their fault if they didn't see it coming. In Monster Hunter though you have to be aware of your allies because you don't want to get tripped by a longsword or swatted by someone's hammer.

With a tank it would just be a worse dps race where you have to pay less attention to monster tells. Typical tab based MMOs need tanks because you can't avoid every attack, so they have to implement a system to have something else take a hit. In these types of games, you never need to take the hit if you are prepared. If you can't find an opening to set up the trap you wanted, you can create one. Look at other hunters who do things like trying to inflict sleep or paralyze, then setting up the bombs or a pit trap right at the enemy, so they can create a bigger opening or set up to do big damage. It's even easier to do setups in this version because of mounting. Even if you don't have a lancer or IG to do the jump, you can try to fight in an area with a ledge or by the wall to create that jump.

burgerdog

Quick question: can you not capture Shagaru Megala on the first fight?

I've tried a few times now and Perception won't trigger showing it as "ready for capture" and I've even tried calculating its health per hit till its in the weak zone, and it still won't capture under any circumstance it seems.

So is the scripted Caravan fight a forced kill? I ask because I try to capture everything on the first encounter, and I'd hate to kill such a pretty dragon. (I brutally murder the Rath couple whenever possible, however! Must carve their bodies for plates.) :p

Can't capture it at all.

You can get him via expeditions. I have a g rank R. Basarios guild quest that I can share with you. Unless you need low rank, which I also have. Or high rank, which I also have.

First off, fantastic OT!

This is my first time seriously playing MH i dabbled a bit with 3 on the Wii U but this is my first sit down and properly play

i can feel the addiction coming on

been doing some quests and fought the Seltas and what a rush! but i know he's nothing compared to the big leagues that i've seen from trailers

still my reaction when killing the Seltas:

Uwxe7N6.gif

Vena

Yep, you missed the part where they decide to call it an Elder Dragon when talking to the Captain.

Oh, haha. Well I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out how to capture the damned thing. Oh well, the last fight got me three pure scales so I guess I am ultimately happy.

tuffy

Doesn't R. Basarios show up in High Rank Expeditions? Pretty sure it said I unlocked him there after I beat Black Gravios.
That would make sense since Pierce Jwl 3s come from Black Gravios parts, so there's a bit of consistency there. Still, being able to just post an event quest with them will be a big help.

Beats

Got my first VE Golden Ticket after hunting with Freaking Limit and AmethystEnd today.

Not sure what to get with it though. Hmm...

PKrockin

After playing a bunch of games like this, I think tank and spank is pretty lame and takes less skill honestly. Like in Tera, even though it's action based and you have can use iframes and dodges and what not to not take any hits, once people go in typical dungeon mode and have tanks aggro everything, it just becomes about the dps doing rotations and then dodging for bigger attacks to not get hit or if the mob wipes aggro. You can solo BAMs like a typical action game but dungeon bosses become tank and spanks is disappointing.

Vindictus has boss AI work similar to Monster Hunter in that if they see you use an item, they would prioritize you, and ranged classes that stay far away usually have to pay attention because bosses like to leap at them. If bosses held aggro to one person it would take less strategy and skill to find an opening to use a heal, which would give up your opportunity to do something else like more damage, sharpen, or set up traps. Everyone has ways to avoid getting hit, it's entirely their fault if they didn't see it coming. In Monster Hunter though you have to be aware of your allies because you don't want to get tripped by a longsword or swatted by someone's hammer.

With a tank it would just be a worse dps race where you have to pay less attention to monster tells. Typical tab based MMOs need tanks because you can't avoid every attack, so they have to implement a system to have something else take a hit. In these types of games, you never need to take the hit if you are prepared. If you can't find an opening to set up the trap you wanted, you can create one. Look at other hunters who do things like trying to inflict sleep or paralyze, then setting up the bombs or a pit trap right at the enemy, so they can create a bigger opening or set up to do big damage. It's even easier to do setups in this version because of mounting. Even if you don't have a lancer or IG to do the jump, you can try to fight in an area with a ledge or by the wall to create that jump.

I can only imagine how broken it would make the game with, say, a lance user who could draw aggro, and 3 heavy bowgunners setting up seige mode for minutes at a time. lol

ohlawd

anyone interested in doing some random G1 quests + dinner upgrades in HR4-7?

I'll make the room if there are at least two people interested.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Trying to learn Gunlance, but the animation to put my shield up feels so slooooooow

Maybe I shouldn't have tried to learn against a Purple Gypceros

I can only imagine how broken it would make the game with, say, a lance user who could draw aggro, and 3 heavy bowgunners setting up seige mode for minutes at a time. lol

I was watching videos of HBG groups for MH4G and it's pretty hilarious. They absolutely just lockdown the monster by putting it to sleep, set up bombs and paralyze trap, then shoot it up, when it goes to sleep they do it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDGeCJsmpNY

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Trying to learn Gunlance, but the animation to put my shield up feels so slooooooow

I'm a relatively new Gunlance main in 4U, coming from a Hammer background. Guarding is great, but I think learning how to utilize the quick side and back hops will really unleash the weapons potential. You can do it quicker than bringing your shield up, which means you can get that extra hit in and you can start attacking again right away. You can use the back hop to quickly reload as well, which is great if you're shelling a lot.

Well at least you can shield the flash, otherwise I'd say that fella runs about too much to be an effective learning tool for the initially sluggish feeling gunlance.
Also I swear it tears through the shield better than most, I've guarded explosive clusterbombs that did less than the mighty triple peck of the purple fiend, and that's not factoring in all three.

ohlawd

I'm up for the dinner upgrades, but I won't be able to do G1 as I'm only HR 6 right now.

yeah that's fine. I still need two from the HR ones and if you haven't finished the HR6 one then we can do that one too

just gotta leave when we're done. I hope you're cool with that.

k uhhh I didn't think people would bite. fuck, just gimme 5 mins to finish this quest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom