• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
*sigh* couldn't even get the tail off this time because the fucker kept facing me

YOU WORTHLESS PALICOES

PKrockin

*sigh* couldn't even get the tail off this time because the fucker kept facing me

YOU WORTHLESS PALICOES
I went into a Gore Magala room because I needed one more tail to upgrade a lance. Two longswords and a charge blade are in the room. Perfect, I'll switch to horn. No tail cut. lol

Garou

Latest Penny Arcade:
i-C2SxPsZ-1050x10000.jpg

Millinery Industrial Complex

Because I’m still new to Monster Hunter, there’s a lot I don’t know. I could absolutely look for a FAQ and solve all this stuff immediately, like watching a Raid video, and then I could go in and try to emulate another person’s valor. When I hit a true wall - as opposed to being momentarily inconvenienced by my ineptitude - maybe I’ll hit it up. But not yet. I haven’t felt like this in a very, very long time.

I apologize to Monster Hunter stalwarts here and elsewhere; I’m coming into your whole deal unprepared, but I want nothing more than to learn. This post is for people who don’t know yet, or for people who just learned, and can nod sagely along with only a hint of wistful melancholy.

Monster Hunter is a lot like Minecraft in one very specific way: everything is made up of other things, and you can go get these things. I would say it is unlike Minecraft in every other way. But that core loop of acquisition and refiguration is beyond addictive. Oh, now, wait. It is the same in another way, and that’s one of the things that makes its compulsion engine so terrible and perverse in its strength. There is no mechanically reinforced “character” in either of these games. There is no progression aside from the equipment you make or find, and the skill you build with the game’s often one of a kind arsenal.

Equipment builds your capability through the use of Skill Points, which might be a new concept to you. It certainly was to me. Imagine that each piece of my armor grants me a couple points in some useful skill. Except having a couple points in a skill doesn’t mean shit, right? It doesn’t mean that you are kinda good at something. Until you have ten points in a skill, it’s not even activated in my experience. So the game is about trying to match complimentary pieces together. Alright. Now, you understand everything you need to in order to properly contextualize my failure.

I had never seen an item that had all ten points in a skill, by itself, so imagine my surprise when I found a Gargwa Mask I could make, and I already had all the shit for it. I was picturing some haute couture motherfucking’ French type shit, flexing mad plumage, so I invested several single use armor upgrades in it before I’d even seen it on because why would it ever look like this.

(CW)TB out.

jorgejjvr

Anyone trying to get seregious G rank armor?? Wanna grind it. Also need stuff from the congala or hermitarus, which are needed for the armor

Anyone interested in putzing around doing HR1 quests tomorrow (Sunday)? I've been playing single player and have finished the first arc. I'm at a point in the second arc (Defense Master has arrived) where my bunny suit and barely upgraded weapons are showing their inadequacies. In TriU, I happily ground whatever I needed to make equipment but the fact that this game (great, very fun game) is stuck purely on a handheld kinda sucks out my desire to go hunting for parts, at least by myself (dear lord Capcom, make a frigging WiiU version so I can play this thing on a TV because MH sucks on portables).

Ahem, anyway, I'll be around tomorrow to check this thread for anyone who'd be up for beginner quests around noon central time.

Fandangox

Man since I forgot combo books were a thing I ended up buying all of them in one go, and that depleted my money, then FINALLY get that nycgem for the Gore Magala gunlance, and upgrade, and I already have all the stuff for the next upgrade, but not the money.

I need to farm money now.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well I finally got the tail... and now I could forge an entire Zinogre armor set. I guess it is pretty a pretty cool-looking set, although it'd be a total waste to use the plate on the LR faulds. I should at least hold out for the HR set (unless you can upgrade to the S?) or the Despot's Wildfire, unless I happen to get another one.

When did you guys start going online? I just got a chainmail set, and unlocked 4 star missions in single player. Wondering if it's too early or not.

yami4ct

Is there anything cooler than cutting a Azure Rathalos' tail off midair with a switchaxe uppercut? I submit that there is not.

Kensuke

Is there anything cooler than cutting a Azure Rathalos' tail off midair with a switchaxe uppercut? I submit that there is not.

Cutting it midair by vaulting into the air yourself with the insect glaive. While your hunter lands gracefully, Rathalos crashes into the ground.

Yeah, poison bombs so that way you can carve them altaroths bugs instead of hoping for a shiny drop if they eat a mushroom.

You get quality stomachs from High Rank altaroths, they will explode when killed, so the most efficient way is to just use a poison smoke bomb so they can die without exploding and get carved.

If you kill them with poison you can carve them.
Alright, thanks. Had no idea about that.

R0ckman

Are there certain HR quest I have to beat to move forward? I've just been going one by one til I get to urgent. I've been soloing and setting up rooms isn't attracting randoms, people pop in stand there and leave. I'm starting to get bored from the solos. Also can't find a room of people doing nothing but ranking up.

Barely any armor sets with Evade Distance Up. I can get that and Evade + 3 with the Low Rank Nargacuga set but that kind of hurts in High Rank since the total defense rating is just shy of 200 with upgrades.

Apparently you can fight Kirin in Low Rank. I guess this is unlocked through Expeditions?

Kinsei

Banned
Barely any armor sets with Evade Distance Up. I can get that and Evade + 3 with the Low Rank Nargacuga set but that kind of hurts in High Rank since the total defense rating is just shy of 200 with upgrades.

Apparently you can fight Kirin in Low Rank. I guess this is unlocked through Expeditions?

Low rank Kirin is unlocked when you beat both 6* caravan Dah'ren quests.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Anyone interested in putzing around doing HR1 quests tomorrow (Sunday)? I've been playing single player and have finished the first arc. I'm at a point in the second arc (Defense Master has arrived) where my bunny suit and barely upgraded weapons are showing their inadequacies. In TriU, I happily ground whatever I needed to make equipment but the fact that this game (great, very fun game) is stuck purely on a handheld kinda sucks out my desire to go hunting for parts, at least by myself (dear lord Capcom, make a frigging WiiU version so I can play this thing on a TV because MH sucks on portables).

Ahem, anyway, I'll be around tomorrow to check this thread for anyone who'd be up for beginner quests around noon central time.

I'm in, I need to start doing multiplayer quests. Post here before you start.

Card Boy

Banned
Is there a way to just join up with random people? And if so, do you think I'll have luck finding a good group?

I don't wanna play with people I know on here just yet. :)

Yes it's very easy to join with random people

While in town

1) Press the map button
2) Go to Gathering Hall
3) Change status to online
4) Create or Search for a game
5) Have fun!

yami4ct

2 rubies in one Azure Rath cap! Hell yes! Azure Rath set completed in one swoop. Set should get me through the rest of HR and early G-rank.

Finally got my circle pad pro in the mail today and been playing nonstop. Got up to where I unlocked expeditions and have done like 5 so far. I'm not sure if I just have really bad luck but two large monsters always show up at the same time. Or just staggered enough to when I get one low on health another shows up and the first one runs away. I finally killed a Great Jaggi and couldn't loot it because the giant green flying mosquito thing repeatedly ran over me.

Overall I'm enjoying it but feel like It'd be better on Wii U. I sometimes get the same claustrophobic feeling I would get when playing Freedom Wars on vita.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom