• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Is my maximeld dude bugged? I go to choose juju melding but I'm stuck on only one page of talismans and page count is 1/-113?

Oh nevermind, apparently I have too many charms and it bugs out.

Kyzon

You ever forget to hold R during a mount?

bU3b6tO.gif

DooD1234

Anyone got advice for charge blade? I watched gaijin hunter youtube guide already and I'm still kind of struggling to use the weapon efficiently I feel. Should I constantly be switching between sword and axe mode? I'm pretty much ignoring axe mode regular attacks and only use the discharge attacks strictly. What good is sword mode X+A attack when I can just use the charge A move and fill up phials much faster. I also can't seem to get the timing right to block when switching between modes.

Charge blade feels interesting to use but I can't seem to get it right as soon as I try to attack, the monster basically moving around too much and about to hit me and it taking way too long for me to finish hunts where I would finish them in 5-10 minutes using IG or SnS.

Anyone got advice for charge blade? I watched gaijin hunter youtube guide already and I'm still kind of struggling to use the weapon efficiently I feel. Should I constantly be switching between sword and axe mode? I'm pretty much ignoring axe mode regular attacks and only use the discharge attacks strictly. What good is sword mode X+A attack when I can just use the charge A move and fill up phials much faster. I also can't seem to get the timing right to block when switching between modes.

Charge blade feels interesting to use but I can't seem to get it right as soon as I try to attack, the monster basically moving around too much and about to hit me and it taking way too long for me to finish hunts where I would finish them in 5-10 minutes using IG or SnS.

For guard points, watch Gaijin Hunter's OTHER tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPc90az3HC0

You shouldn't ignore regular attacks on axe if you're keeping red shield, since red shield means 20% damage buff on axe.

And I'm not sure why you're comparing sword x+a to charging a, since x+a is for gap closing.

Fandangox

I'm usually wait someone to create the room since I'm not confident with my internet :(

I know that feel very well.

07-7825-5650-5669

Pass: 2580

For the wyvern research quests (no idea of what they are I will let Prank choose them) and a single wycoom quest I have been trying to do.

DooD1234

You shouldn't ignore regular attacks on axe if you're keeping red shield, since red shield means 20% damage buff on axe.

And I'm not sure why you're comparing sword x+a to charging a, since x+a is for gap closing.
I'm not talking about the dash hop move, I meant the one where you character like punches with the shield and bullets come out. My mistake.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm not talking about the dash hop move, I meant the one where you character like punches with the shield and bullets come out. My mistake.

When you have a charged axe that attack will have the properties of whatever phials your CB has. I've actually KO'd monsters wit that move.

When you have a charged axe that attack will have the properties of whatever phials your CB has. I've actually KO'd monsters wit that move.

This. Free phial burst on [any sword move]->x+a.

Edit: Also, x+a combos directly into axe discharge if you hit x+a again.

I haven't taken a stopwatch to it, but I think (x+a)x3 is the fastest way to get to discharge; faster than manually switching to axe with r+x, and then doing x+a for the discharge. At least, it feels faster to me. So to charge my axe I usually do (x+a)x3->R, and that'll be red shield.

Shengar

For guard points, watch Gaijin Hunter's OTHER tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPc90az3HC0

I don't know about CB, but the video linked by GaijinHunter shown some crazy stuff with GP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxz...c90az3HC0&annotation_id=annotation_1294055105
Make sure you watch the video after that since it's also solo CB against a large Teostra
Shengar, I'm screwed on time this week. Midterms and projects due. But next week is spring break and I'll be playing a ton.
Well school sucks, but that's an obligation so no worries.
I know that feel very well.

07-7825-5650-5669

Pass: 2580

For the wyvern research quests (no idea of what they are I will let Prank choose them) and a single wycoom quest I have been trying to do.

Alright, just joined

Important tip is that after that x+a move, x+a again will go straight to that axe smash. If you have any phials, it'll use a phial up. If you have the shield charged and a phial, it'll do your ultra move. Really helpful because that's your most powerful attack, and that's the quickest way to reach it. Also, R+x+a will unshieth it as an axe, so you can run and dodge, then get close to do some big damage with a few axe swipes, switch back to shield to manage phials, etc.

I think it has similar mechanics to the insect glaide, in that during every fight you need to switch between focusing on damage and meeting to requirements to keep your weapon in a state to do max damage.

Sword is basically to whittle at the monster's health and set yourself up to do big damage with the axes, and then the axe is great for doing massive damage in just a few swipes when the monster is vulnerable.

Most fights I probably use the sword for 75% of it. But I've seen videos of people doingbthe opposite, and only using the sword to fill phials and staying in ace mode for 60% or more of the fight. Whatever fits your playstyle.

DooD1234

This. Free phial burst on [any sword move]->x+a.

Edit: Also, x+a combos directly into axe discharge if you hit x+a again.

I haven't taken a stopwatch to it, but I think (x+a)x3 is the fastest way to get to discharge; faster than manually switching to axe with r+x, and then doing x+a for the discharge. At least, it feels faster to me. So to charge my axe I usually do (x+a)x3->R, and that'll be red shield.
So with impact phials it basically act as a blunt hit? Also didn't know that move goes to super discharge faster that way too.

I don't know about CB, but the video linked by GaijinHunter shown some crazy stuff with GP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxz...c90az3HC0&annotation_id=annotation_1294055105
Make sure you watch the video after that since it's also solo CB against a large Teostra
Holy cow, that a G rank quest too? If that was me I would spend more time running around in circles trying to heal and get a clean hit in. His guard point timing was on point too.

So with impact phials it basically act as a blunt hit? Also didn't know that move goes to super discharge faster that way too.

Well, it deals the KO damage like a blunt hit, but I don't think it'd count as blunt as far as damage calculation. And as for it being faster, I just want to make it clear that it just FEELS faster to me; maybe I'll actually time it at some point.

Edit: Fuck it, I just timed it. I tested with sword drawn and idle, and (x+a)x3 is only about .3 seconds faster than r+x->x+a.

Given the chance I'd still do (x+a)x3, because you can guard point after the first and second (x+a)s if you end up needing to bail out of charging your shield.

Juraash

Well it only took two molten tigrex to get the rest of my GS mats. Was super pleased with that outcome. Every little bit should help cut down my G-Rank times.

A bit nervous about Seregios as I inch closer to G2. He isn't hard particularly, but an unfortunate bleed combo can end your day real quick. But I'll cross that bridge later this week.

Also finished up the tetsu x set anddd I kinda hate it. My Rath Soul armor with my current (lame) talisman gives me skills I like way, way better. Also because of all the spheres I've pumped into Rath the difference in defence is negligeable. G1 doesn't have many sets (to my knowledge) that im really interested in. If that set can hold out maybe I'll just beeline for G2.

Elija2

Man, the Pink Rathian is bullshit. If you're attacking it you're never safe from a surprise poison tail swipe, and that means you gotta keep running away and healing yourself. If I didn't have Auto-Guard I'd probably never be able to beat it.

tragic

Developer
Anyone for Shah Dalamadur?

17-2615-4934-4522

It's my least-known fight, still learning. Only done regular Dalamadur about 4-5 times.

=0

If no action there, wouldn't mind starting a "find Savage Jho and kill him!" group.

Shengar

Well it only took two molten tigrex to get the rest of my GS mats. Was super pleased with that outcome. Every little bit should help cut down my G-Rank times.

A bit nervous about Seregios as I inch closer to G2. He isn't hard particularly, but an unfortunate bleed combo can end your day real quick. But I'll cross that bridge later this week.

Also finished up the tetsu x set anddd I kinda hate it. My Rath Soul armor with my current (lame) talisman gives me skills I like way, way better. Also because of all the spheres I've pumped into Rath the difference in defence is negligeable. G1 doesn't have many sets (to my knowledge) that im really interested in. If that set can hold out maybe I'll just beeline for G2.

Fortunately Seregios really have tight hitbox and very unlikely to generate wind pressure. It's very unlikely for it to "combo" you like say, the Rath couple and their damned wing flap.

Juraash

Fortunately Seregios really have tight hitbox and very unlikely to generate wind pressure. It's very unlikely for it to "combo" you like say, the Rath couple and their damned wing flap.

He's certainly less likely to so it than some of the other dragons, this is very true. I may practice home more on high rank before I go for G2 as well. Never hurts to log a few more hunts.

The wind pressure from a rathalos fireball landing NEAR you but not hitting you is also bullshit. I keep getting poison kicked because he missed me with a fireball. I'd rather take the fireball in the face than get frozen by wind pressure.

zogged

Ok, finally got around to making the seregio SA and I think i have a new favourite. My best time for taking down Ol' Sergei was about 16 minutes with the gore IG. First hunt with the SA i took him down in just over 10 minutes.

Sickbean

Okay I'm having serious noob problems with the bow. Shots just seem to sail over smaller monsters. I've tried adjusting my aim with th d-pad but this just seems to move the camera not where I'm aiming. What gives?

tragic

Developer
Have Gunlance's been given a nerf? They feel slower.

Everything is just faster/smoother now! Gunlance is slow and steady, but when compared next to all the cool new changes to other weapons, it definitely feels a bit slow. Maybe that's it? Hmm...

Shengar

Which lances are important to make? I made the Rising Tempest so far for raw.

Seregios Lance. Also Najarala lance is pretty good for its extra defense, decent attack, and paralyze status damage.

Everything is just faster/smoother now! Gunlance is slow and steady, but when compared next to all the cool new changes to other weapons, it definitely feels a bit slow. Maybe that's it? Hmm...

Yeah, even Lance is more agile now due to its evasion change and joust charge.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Do Frenzy Crystals drop from monsters, or do I mine them? The melting dude just said you'd find some close to here, but still no luck.

Raide

Okay I'm having serious noob problems with the bow. Shots just seem to sail over smaller monsters. I've tried adjusting my aim with th d-pad but this just seems to move the camera not where I'm aiming. What gives?

Depending on your controls, pressing X (I think) goes into target mode, so you can aim exactly where you want and it also shows the radius of the air-arrow attack thing.

Comes in hand when you need to tag something but getting good with manual shots in the way forward. Just learn the critical distance for bows and all will be good.

Ricky 7

Have Gunlance's been given a nerf? They feel slower.
The shelling is much better in this game especially with the artillery skill and bombardier food skill. If you have a Wide type with those skills, all you need to do is spam the charge shot and regular shells. You don't even need to attack. Gunlance has always been slow, it's a tank weapon. The only move that got nerfed on the Gunlance is the poke move when you're shielding, they decreased the damage that move does.
The Gunlance has one of the best ledge attacks as well. If you press forward and X near a ledge you'll do that slam move, it's pretty powerful and you can follow up with a full burst or wyvern fire. It also loads your Gunlance with 1 shell.

jaosobno

Could someone please explain what does Drain and Blast attacks do? Is there any elemental damage type that I should go for that is good for most monsters?

Also, how does online exactly work? Can I just play with randoms (via room search) or is it friend's list only type of thing? Since online and single player are separate modes, does online come with its own Hunter Ranks? In that case, I'm guessing that I have to repeat the same quests as in SP? Haven't touched online yet so I have no idea how that works.

Anyone feel like doing the Nuclear Brachydios?

62-6121-0905-5737

Could someone please explain what does Drain and Blast attacks do? Is there any elemental damage type that I should go for that is good for most monsters?

Also, how does online exactly work? Can I just play with randoms (via room search) or is it friend's list only type of thing? Since online and single player are separate modes, does online come with its own Hunter Ranks? In that case, I'm guessing that I have to repeat the same quests as in SP? Haven't touched online yet so I have no idea how that works.

Drain I think tires them out faster Blast causes explosions are a certain amount of hits.
You can play with randoms via room search but If you're trying to rank up I recommend playing with friends.

Overside

Banned
Ok, finally got around to making the seregio SA and I think i have a new favourite. My best time for taking down Ol' Sergei was about 16 minutes with the gore IG. First hunt with the SA i took him down in just over 10 minutes.

The sharpness for such a low level weapon is nice, its damage is nice, its a power phial, and being that switch axers are basically constantly dodging from, and back into combos with weapons still drawn, it constantly sharpens itself so it keeps that small sliver of sharpness ridiculously well.

It sure is a fine Axe. Im using the high level upgraded one right now, will probably use it all the way into G rank, where Im waiting on some parts to upgrade a bunch of Axes and charge blades.

But FIRST, I need to get some darn elder gragon blood so I can complete my golden lunemail, because I can NOT go obsessive collecty without it. Its not healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom