• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shengar

When it goes nuclear, pray.

ie01AEG.gif

It's not too late to learn HBG

PKrockin

So Silver Rathalos's weak spot is his back. Great. Time to learn gunlance so I can blow his ass up without worrying about bouncing constantly.

My 3ds with MH4U comes in tonight. I know this version has a better introduction to the mechanics, but is there anything I should know or read before starting?

I played a bit of one of the psp versions and the intro to Tri, but not much past that. I tried looking for good intro material but didn't like what I found other than GaijinHunter's vids, which I've checked out.

Mupod

I either do my urgents with GAF or solo them.

Also had my first quest failure (not counting Dalamadur dry runs) and it was 1/3 my fault. Did NOT know that tiger zamtrios' water spit could one shot me all the way across the map. Was doing fine until I started trying to sleep him, the recoil screwed me over. Figured I'd be okay with full hp so I got overconfident. Next time I'll eat for moxie or defense I guess. I'm not running around in crappy gear either, I'm in upgraded rank-appropriate stuff (lagombi X).

It's not too late to learn HBG

It's really good against Brachy.

Tom_Cody

I'm progressing through single player and I just unlocked in succession the Najarala (beat on first attempt), then the Gore Magala Expedition (beat on first attempt), and then the Gore Magala Urgent.

The 4U demo was my introduction to the series. In my time with the demo I sampled the various weapons and became comfortable against the Great Jaggi and Tetsucabara. I fought the Gore Magala a number of times but never beat him. I had made ~6 attempts by the time the full game launched and then I simply switched over and dropped my attempts on the demo, knowing full well that I would get my chance to face him again soon enough.

That damn Frenzy State! I triple carted on my first two attempts but I beat him on my third. I know there are a lot of veterans here, but I felt a pretty strong sense of accomplishment when I finally saw that mission complete message.

I have now beaten him three times. I'm a bow user, so I need those damn Feelers to get the Entbehrung. I actually broke the Antenna during one of my first failed attempts but I haven't been able to since then. And I am feeling the pain of having to replenish all of my coatings and power potions between fights. I want his armor and his bow, and I am trying to decide whether I should upgrade my equipment in the interim.

Question: Gunners (or bow users more specifically archers), what armor/weapon sets did you use when fighting/farming Gore?

I am currently using the Nerscylla set and Gore's major attacks take about 30%-40% of my health during frenzy mode, so I need to stay at about 80% health at all times or else I am in danger of getting carted (two hits can happen in a flash). I am very strongly debating whether I should try to upgrade my armor now, or if I should just try to push through until I can craft the Gore set.

For my bow I am using the Blue Alighter (Zamtrios' bow).

To add a little context, I fought the Gore Urgent as soon as it was available so I still have a lot of 4★ village quests left to do. To be specific, I haven't fought the Rathalos yet.

As I had stated in some prior posts, my original plan was just to farm him online but I haven't unlocked him on my quest list and the game won't let me select him when searching for rooms.

ilium

Anyone want to do some general G1/G2 stuff? I was thinking of starting with Ring Hollow (B. Tetsu, Rath, Gravios), but I'm up for pretty much anything depending on what you want.

56-9341-6236-8513

joined! (Artemis)

edit: too late, already on quest :D

Someone new enters the room and immediately posts his urgent. He triple carts and posts it again. Carts once and then stays in camp.

Never fails.
This is why the game has a kick feature.

I have experienced this in almost every game where I have to do my urgent with randoms. Luckily, I usually do long hunting sessions so I create a "looking to raise HR" room and run all of the keys and then the urg. I explain that we go in order of who joined first, and that I'm good to do it 4x. Usually I'm quickest on the draw and nab mine first. If not, someone gets kicked. No warning, no bargaining, GTFO you greedy shit. This usually happened after my urgent, though, where the 4th guy rushes the counter after my quest and posts. Seeya, asshat, please let the door hit you on the way out.

People suck. That's why I try to help GAFers out when I see them on here posting their urgents. God forbid people take an extra 30 minutes to help everyone else in a lobby.

Mupod

That damn Frenzy State! I triple carted on my first two attempts but I beat him on my third. I know there are a lot of veterans here, but I felt a pretty strong sense of accomplishment when I finally saw that mission complete message.

Frenzy is your friend, especially as a gunner. Pick your battles, stand in the pools when you're full hp then unload when you get the chance in order to get the damage boost. If you don't think you can pull it off, withdraw and use a nulberry.

Your Zamtrios bow might be the problem. Gore takes very very little ice damage. I don't really use bows, but surely a fire bow might work better?

But yeah, I save my mounts and pitfall traps for his rage mode. Getting those feelers broken not only will get you the drops, it'll make the fight easier.

edit: also regarding replenishing your ammo, this is the reason I didn't play gunner much in low rank. What I do is save my money until the vendor has a sale (wait for the music around him to change) then buy buy buy. Then just use item sets to quickly re-set your loadout. I seriously have 4000+ normal 2, pierce 2 etc ammo in my box right now because I would rather spend 3 seconds equipping an item set than buying more ammo each hunt.

tuffy

Question: Gunners (or bow users more specifically archers), what armor/weapon sets did you use when fighting/farming Gore?
For Caravan Gore, I used a mix of Lobster and Narga with the blademaster Narga helm which got me Evade Extender, Evasion +1, enough slots for Attack Up (M) and respectable defense once I threw a bunch of spheres into it. Gore's moves seem to have pretty big tells so I just played it cautiously and punished him with shots every time he missed.

It's really good against Brachy.

I don't know if I just played against him a lot in MH3U or what, but Brachy seems really easy in this one. I've been gunning him since my first try, and I typically get out without even needing a potion.
He was a scary mo-fo in MH3U!

ultron87

I realized yesterday looking back through low rank quests that I had skipped over the first quest that lets you upgrade the Item Multiplying shop to do more than one order at a time. This is probably why I was constantly running into paintball or tranq or other items shortages at High Rank. Things are so much less of a hassle now.

R0ckman

Man sometimes I feel like the camera is an extra foe. Was fighting apex Rajang, he jumps off the screen doing that annoying hop dodge the monsters spam so much in this. He's blocking my character view and before can adjust the camera I'm dead.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I threw away my Attack Up (XL) for some HG Earplugs; feels a lot nicer since I can't tell how much damage I was doing, though I'd probably notice when I solo stuff.

Tom_Cody

Frenzy is your friend, especially as a gunner. Pick your battles, stand in the pools when you're full hp then unload when you get the chance in order to get the damage boost. If you don't think you can pull it off, withdraw and use a nulberry.

Your Zamtrios bow might be the problem. Gore takes very very little ice damage. I don't really use bows, but surely a fire bow might work better?

But yeah, I save my mounts and pitfall traps for his rage mode. Getting those feelers broken not only will get you the drops, it'll make the fight easier.

edit: also regarding replenishing your ammo, this is the reason I didn't play gunner much in low rank. What I do is save my money until the vendor has a sale (wait for the music around him to change) then buy buy buy. Then just use item sets to quickly re-set your loadout. I seriously have 4000+ normal 2, pierce 2 etc ammo in my box right now because I would rather spend 3 seconds equipping an item set than buying more ammo each hunt.
Hmm. It looks like there is a good flame bow that I can unlock from Rathalos parts. It looks like I will be well off doing that fight before returning to the Gore farming.

Regarding the Frenzy pools, can you explain more about that? When I mentioned frenzy mode, I think I was describing what you refer to as rage mode. My issue is when his antenna appear and he wrecks house. I normally just use nulberry's throughout the fight (whenever he switches zones), and I don't have an issue with the virus. Is there a boost that I've been missing?

New player here...and new to the Monster Hunter series. Are there any good guides on how to start out?

I've done a couple of missions, but some of the kill 10x monsters are a bit of pain, particularly as I have no idea where certain monsters reside. I also have no idea on how to progress in terms of gear...what to craft etc. The game kinda obfuscates really pertinent info, and only just barely glosses over the basic systems. Practically all online discussions are regarding high level / end game group play.

Mupod

Tips for Stygian Zinogre? Fought him once last night and he just wrecked me.
I can LBG, SnS, Long Sword, and Hunting Horn btw.

I'd go LBG maybe. I have no problems with HBG against any zinogre but stiggy is a little tricker since he isn't constantly backing off to charge up. Just watch for the combo tail slam, and be ready to attack during the 'power up strut' - don't get caught with no ammo when it happens since it's free damage.

His armor set is pretty baller for bow/lbg too. I was gonna make it to try the Seregios LBG but ended up not bothering even though I had all the materials.

As for Hunting Horn I have varying degrees of success. It actually depends on the size of the Zinogre - against a small one I can kill it very very fast with HH. Big ones I have trouble reaching the head.

Ridley327

Tips for Stygian Zinogre? Fought him once last night and he just wrecked me.
I can LBG, SnS, Long Sword, and Hunting Horn btw.

Nulberries are your friend when fighting him, since Dragonblight makes it harder to maximize your damage output. A lot of the same strategies still apply from the regular Zin, but you're not penalized for using a shock trap to hold him down, so you can use those without the fear of an early rage mode boost. His aggression level is the biggest issue you need to deal with, so don't be afraid to use flash bombs to delay his rage mode charging.

Tom_Cody

New player here...and new to the Monster Hunter series. Are there any good guides on how to start out?

I've done a couple of missions, but some of the kill 10x monsters are a bit of pain, particularly as I have no idea where certain monsters reside. I also have no idea on how to progress in terms of gear...what to craft etc. The game kinda obfuscates really pertinent info, and only just barely glosses over the basic systems. Practically all online discussions are regarding high level / end game group play.
This was my first game in the series as well. If you have specific questions I can try to help you.

I would strongly recommend watching ProJared's beginer's guide videos to get a handle on the basic systems of the game. This will answer most/all of the issues you present in your post:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO7ChEvlE6fd-IXgergMpFIpudooNepeP

And then move on to Gaigjin Hunter's weapon tutorial on your chosen weapon:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDR3ta7VqKrwAHPSAudDagumWffFyHK6g

Peru

You don't have to do those quests, look at key quests here http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/quest

Of course some of those easy, boring quests are good for getting to know the world and some of the systems.

Find a weapon you like and look at what you can upgrade it into. The site above will tell you where items/material you need for crafting is found, if you struggle with that .For armor, it's best to start off crafting full sets from one monster. So early on you'll meet the first big boss monster, the Great Jaggi. You fight him and carve some rewards from his dead body, now you'll see the armor pop up where the guy offers armor crafting. You may lack some items so you fight him a few more times and now you can craft the armor with those items and some money. That armor is decent, a little later a monster called Tetsucabra gives another high defense armor for low rank.

Mupod

Hmm. It looks like there is a good flame bow that I can unlock from Rathalos parts. It looks like I will be well off doing that fight before returning to the Gore farming.

Regarding the Frenzy pools, can you explain more about that? When I mentioned frenzy mode, I think I was describing what you refer to as rage mode. My issue is when his antenna appear and he wrecks house. I normally just use nulberry's throughout the fight (whenever he switches zones), and I don't have an issue with the virus. Is there a boost that I've been missing?

jbj0cnc4LQlrh5.png

You get a damage boost when you overcome the virus, which I'm sure you've seen. If you're not regularly overcoming the virus before the bar fills up, you might be doing something wrong. This is something all types of gunners have to deal with - you might be playing perfectly well mechanically, but if you bring the wrong tool for the job you won't get anywhere.

Sometimes shit happens (like being hit at a bad time, or having to back off and reload/sharpen) and you need to nulberry, but that shouldn't happen often. Like I said I don't know bows very well, in particular how charge levels work nowadays, so you might just be using something bad against Gore if your damage isn't good.

You need to knock him out of the rage mode or he'll be in it forever, which means you need to break his head. You need feelers anyways, right? As I said, fight dirty. Mount or traps if you have to. You're here to farm him, not prove something.

Thanks for the Stygian advice guys, I'll try the to LBG and bring a full stock of Nullberries. I have a good all-around LBG set I built with Rath Soul armor and the Blue Shooter (4-shot RF Normal 2s & 3-shot RF Pierce 2s).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Rage mode is when a monster gets hyper aggressive attack patterns, and has a physical tell (IE: Feelers on Gore, flaps opening on Tigrex, Gypercos gets red eyes and its forehead starts glowing persistently.) - it usually starts with them letting out a roar, too.

Frenzy mode is when a monster gets the purple aura - its attacks will start inflicting the frenzy curse on you. Its animations will be sped up, and its body will be harder. The icon on the lower screen will show "Frenzied"

Kinsei

Banned
Rage mode is when a monster gets hyper aggressive attack patterns, and has a physical tell (IE: Feelers on Gore, flaps opening on Tigrex, Gypercos gets red eyes and its forehead starts glowing persistently.) - it usually starts with them letting out a roar, too.

Frenzy mode is when a monster gets the purple aura - its attacks will start inflicting the frenzy curse on you. Its animations will be sped up, and its body will be harder. The icon on the lower screen will show "Frenzied"

That's not Gore's rage mode, that's Gore's frenzy mode. Gore's rage mode is when it starts huffing out black smoke.

Juraash

Thanks for the Stygian advice guys, I'll try the to LBG and bring a full stock of Nullberries. I have a good all-around LBG set I built with Rath Soul armor and the Blue Shooter (4-shot RF Normal 2s & 3-shot RF Pierce 2s).

Be careful with Stygy and the Rath armor. He does a healthy amount of dragon damage and that set is pretty weak to it. If you've done some online and unlocked the drink option at the chef, you can eat for dragon resist which should take you out of the negative.

ilium

as others have said, no shame in playing dirty. sleep bomb him with L+ bombs, this will help with breaking the feelers as well!

tuffy

I think 9 star Caravan Frenzy Brachy is just about the limit on how far I can muddle through using an HBG without Evade Extender. I can see Brachy's jump coming and roll, but I don't cover enough distance to get out of the blast radius before he lands. I really don't want to forge another high rank armor set (like Lagombi S) at this late stage, and I still haven't found a charm with any points in it at all.

So I may just have to gem it in using a bunch of 1 slot decorations and the Biting Blast's many slots, hustle to G rank on the Guild Quest side when 2 slot decorations show up, or both.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
That's not Gore's rage mode, that's Gore's frenzy mode. Gore's rage mode is when it starts huffing out black smoke.

You sure? Because you can't stop frenzy mode once it starts IIRC - destroying the antlers on a gore would then end frenzy mode.

Well either way, Gore is probably a bad example, as he's kind of a special case because he is frenzy. :p

Mupod

I think 9 star Caravan Frenzy Brachy is just about the limit on how far I can muddle through using an HBG without Evade Extender. I can see Brachy's jump coming and roll, but I don't cover enough distance to get out of the blast radius before he lands. I really don't want to forge another high rank armor set (like Lagombi S) at this late stage, and I still haven't found a charm with any points in it at all.

So I may just have to gem it in using a bunch of 1 slot decorations and the Biting Blast's many slots, hustle to G rank on the Guild Quest side when 2 slot decorations show up, or both.

I'd actually argue evade extender is by far the best skill to bring to Brachy for ANY weapon. And of course it's the best skill for HBG all the time.

But yeah, if not for my charm, I never would have been able to run evade extender in high rank. There's just nothing. On the bright side Lagombi X is actually pretty decent. Lots of slots, evade extender/quick sheathe/lasting power/cold cancel. Chug them might seeds and put them in the free inventory slot you get from not having to bring hot drinks. Was able to easily add evade+1 and my choice of normal or pierce up, too.

Kinsei

Banned
You sure? Because you can't stop frenzy mode once it starts IIRC - destroying the antlers on a gore would then end frenzy mode.

Well either way, Gore is probably a bad example, as he's kind of a special case because he is frenzy. :p

Well the figure of it that came with the CE is called "Frenzied Gore Magala" and it clearly has a "regular" rage mode.

This was my first game in the series as well. If you have specific questions I can try to help you.

I would strongly recommend watching ProJared's beginer's guide videos to get a handle on the basic systems of the game. This will answer most/all of the issues you present in your post:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO7ChEvlE6fd-IXgergMpFIpudooNepeP

And then move on to Gaigjin Hunter's weapon tutorial on your chosen weapon:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDR3ta7VqKrwAHPSAudDagumWffFyHK6g

Thank you so much for that youtube playlist, most helpful. One question I do have is, is the Charge Blade a good weapon? I'm liking the fact that it has a shield (defense, for a beginner), and a stronger damage dealing component...but I've read some people saying it lacks good combos or something.

Can you recommend a good beginner weapon that's competent down the road?

You don't have to do those quests, look at key quests here http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/quest

Of course some of those easy, boring quests are good for getting to know the world and some of the systems.

Find a weapon you like and look at what you can upgrade it into. The site above will tell you where items/material you need for crafting is found, if you struggle with that .For armor, it's best to start off crafting full sets from one monster. So early on you'll meet the first big boss monster, the Great Jaggi. You fight him and carve some rewards from his dead body, now you'll see the armor pop up where the guy offers armor crafting. You may lack some items so you fight him a few more times and now you can craft the armor with those items and some money. That armor is decent, a little later a monster called Tetsucabra gives another high defense armor for low rank.

I'll be playing MH4 in front of my monitor :p That site is immensely helpful, thank you.

Mupod

Thank you so much for that youtube playlist, most helpful. One question I do have is, is the Charge Blade a good weapon? I'm liking the fact that it has a shield, and a stronger damage dealing component...but I'm read some people saying it lacks good combos or something.

Can you recommend a good beginner weapon that's competent down the road?

It's kinda OP. Also incredibly overused online, if that bothers you.

Try hammers out. It'll always be a high tier weapon in terms of damage output, and it teaches you good habits. First time you knock a monster out you'll understand why it's great. Just don't use the spin until you know what you're doing, use the charge pound until it falls over then use the triple pound combo when you can (X,X,X - easy to remember!).

MH really isn't about memorizing complex combos. It's more about being comfortable with the weapon's moveset in general.

Be careful with Stygy and the Rath armor. He does a healthy amount of dragon damage and that set is pretty weak to it. If you've done some online and unlocked the drink option at the chef, you can eat for dragon resist which should take you out of the negative.

Oh yes, I always use Felyne Dragonslayer against dragon guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom