• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

la_briola

Guys I just bought a new 3DS and MH4U to get back into hunting. Is there a friend code collection for people here or something?

Quote the OT.

The best way is to just ask here to play, make a room and post the room id (or join one).
You can add each other in the room without exchanging friend codes.

Shengar

The Aggis and the Dromes, two family of monsters that have share the same role within the game. Despite the similarity, there is stark contrast between them design wise that give us the insight on how matured the MonHun team is after MHFU/Portable 2nd. The Aggis are more interesting to fight, and while Baggi is just bigger and meaner Jaggi, Wroggi simple tweak makes approach to the fight different. The same couldn't be said to the Dromes since Gendrome is just Velocidrome with paralyze and Iodrome poison spit doesn't change on how the player should approach the fight either. The less noticeable design difference is their basic attack. Aggis regular attack doesn't force back the player when it hit, and only their bodycheck does. It makes the force of their attack feels right and less of an annoyance considering the size of their body. The Dromes instead, somehow their regular attack have moreb weight than it should. Their forward bite sends you back while it isn't look any more powerful than Aggis tail swipe, and their signature leaping attack is much worse than Aggi bodychecK.

I think MH team know this very well as they still put G. Jaggi in the game as a tutorial monster for the player to beat up despite the absence of its subspecies.

Parshias7

I just picked this up, my first MH game, but people described it as having soulsy combat, so I wanted to give it a shot.

I'm trying to just kinda play on my own terms without seeking out too much outside information, but due to the aura this game has in the gaming community I'm also a little worried I'm making some not-obvious mistakes that will make things suck for me in the long term. I'm just going to describe how I'm playing and I'd love for people to tell me if I'm doing anything massively wrong:

I just did the first 3 star hunt (forgot what they were called) and unlocked the second area. I just killed the tetsucabra which let me upgrade my long sword to an aikuchi. I've gone out of my way to farm some armor: Jaggi helm/mail/greaves, konchu vambraces, seltas faulds. Really, I'm just taking a look at the upgrade list and trying to make the best stuff I can, and I'll go out of my way to repeat hunts and quests to get it.

The tetsucabra fight was by far the hardest so far, I had to use a ton of potions to survive and my poor catlings died a ton, but I made it through ok. I haven't touched the MP yet either, just progressing on my own terms since I'm playing mostly at work and have to take lots of breaks.

Does it seem like I'm missing anything important? Am I wasting my time by repeating quests to farm materials to get the available upgrades or is that the whole point?

Stick with a full armor set. You might have noticed this, but skills you get from armor pieces don't activate until you hit a threshold, so like if a Jaggi piece has +3 Attack on it, that doesn't get you anything unless you wear more pieces to get up to +10 Attack, at which point you'd get the Attack Up Small skill. Its possible to get skills by mixing and matching, but its easiest to stick with one full armor set when you're starting out.

Its a good thing to farm for materials to upgrade your weapons, but don't feel obligated to get a full set of new armor every time one unlocks. Different armor sets will have different skills, so focus on a set that gives ones you like. You can get items called Armor Spheres. These will let you upgrade the defense of the armor you have, so you could take an early armor like the Jaggi Armor and upgrade it to have the same defense as a later armor. (of course, you could upgrade that later armor's defense even more, but the point is you can find a set with skills you really like and just stick with it and upgrade its defense with Armor Spheres)

Dreavus

Was Gigginox a sub species of Khezu or was it a name change? They are almost identical except the first is poison and the second uses lightning. I know the first time I fought a Khezu I definitely wasn't expecting lightning attacks (coming from Tri)

Just unlocked the Gold guild card, so I can finally start getting those Gold veggie tickets from unity milestones, but does anyone know if there's a guild card colour change between Gold and Black? Otherwise I'm basically at the halfway point before my background changes again.

Berordn

I think MH team know this very well as they still put G. Jaggi in the game as a tutorial monster for the player to beat up despite the absence of its subspecies.

I was kind of thinking the same when I ran saw the dromes again, largely unchanged. Almost feels like they were chucked in there for padding and nostalgia... which I suppose is okay since I'm not against them being back if it means they got to spend more time on making new bigger guys rather than developing new Aggis.

Was Gigginox a sub species of Khezu or was it a name change? They are almost identical except the first is poison and the second uses lightning. I know the first time I fought a Khezu I definitely wasn't expecting lightning attacks (coming from Tri)

Khezu's a returning monster from the first game, Gigginox was new to 3 and intentionally similar to Khezu (though they aren't really related outside of acting alike).

Shengar

I've only played with GAF and RL friends this time around so no horror stories yet.
Wish I had MonHun friend in RL to play with :c
They are relates but not sharing the same species. You could tell on their body shape alone.

Parshias7

Love hearing others' experiences, anyone have any online horror stories?

I had a G-Rank quest against a Gravios where a Gunner in the group set down a Shock Trap and signaled for us to try and get the monster inside of it. This was in the second to last zone of the volcano, (I forget the number, but the one right next to the area most monsters go to sleep, where Tetsucabra usually starts out) and this one guy in the group spent 5 whole minutes fighting Gravios up on the ledge while we sat down on the lower level by the trap hoping to get the guy in. I was sitting down there spamming the hell out of the signal in the hopes that this guy would get a clue.

There was a happy ending, though: the dude got carted by a laser beam at the exact instant the Gravios died, so no carves for him.

burgerdog

So I got to g3 because I need conq seals and the sky is falling quest isn't there. It's not an advanced quest so I'm not sure what I'm missing to unlock it. Kiranico doesn't show a prereq.

Wish I had MonHun friend in RL to play with :c

They are relates but not sharing the same species. You could tell on their body shape alone.

My RL MH friends don't live in my city so it's still just online play. Although I will be visiting one of them next week for spring break, so we could ad hoc then.

ohlawd

So I got to g3 because I need conq seals and the sky is falling quest isn't there. It's not an advanced quest so I'm not sure what I'm missing to unlock it. Kiranico doesn't show a prereq.

you need to have a crown (finish G3 urgent) and have unlocked the first text.

Online in general has been a let down for me this time. I've been sitting on an urgent for a week because I can't get anyone to help. Mind you, I've done this urgent several times for others but they always "gotta go" when theirs is done. I also can't seem to farm Silver Rathalos to save my life. I can't set the "target" for the room as the silver edition of Rathalos so getting a room of randoms is pretty much impossible.

Victrix

*beard*
Online in general has been a let down for me this time. I've been sitting on an urgent for a week because I can't get anyone to help. Mind you, I've done this urgent several times for others but they always "gotta go" when theirs is done. I also can't seem to farm Silver Rathalos to save my life. I can't set the "target" for the room as the silver edition of Rathalos so getting a room of randoms is pretty much impossible.

Post your room id here, request urgent help, profit?

R0ckman

Id help but I'm at work. Typically for urgents I'll make sure the room I create is for ranking. People I got will usually help out each other. If it takes too long, I'll ask a person on GAF.

I've seen some people use bait and switch for postings. Someone had Rajang on their hunt post, when the room filled he posted his urgent. I obviously dont reccomend this tactic.

So I abandoned my 3 star urgent quest to hunt a Basarios as I forgot to pack whetstones and now when I start it I can't find the monster anywhere.

The first time I got a cut scene but now, nothing. It's nowhere to be seen, it's like it's not spawned or something.

Am I doing something wrong?

Reknoc

So I abandoned my 3 star urgent quest to hunt a Basarios as I forgot to pack whetstones and now when I start it I can't find the monster anywhere.

The first time I got a cut scene but now, nothing. It's nowhere to be seen, it's like it's not spawned or something.

Am I doing something wrong?

Keep a look out for suspicious looking rocks.

Fandangox

Post your room id here, request urgent help, profit?

Dunno doesn't always work, I have made four rooms here, and only once people joined, and that was becuase the people already agreed to hunt a thing, I just made the room before they did. Could be just bad timing I guess, although it doesn't really hurt to just make the room and post it here anyway so.

Parshias7

Here's what I did to do all my Urgents (I'm G2 at the moment) online with randoms:

1. Make your own Gathering Hall.
  2. Set the description to your level of quest, (in the Target section, select 1* Quests if you're doing the HR1 Urgent for example) and the text to "Looking to raise HR!"
  3. Post your Urgent. People can see the quest name when they look up your room.
  4. Wait. This part can take 15-20 minutes. The room usually fills up fast once the first extra person comes, I guess people don't like joining empty rooms.
  5. Kick scrubs and leechers. Dude shows up to your Pink Rathian Urgent with unboosted LR armor and -25 fire res? Kicked. This also applies to anyone who carts over and over again on failed runs, or people trying to get their Urgent done out of order.
  6. Eventually, you'll find the right mix of people who are competent enough to pull this through. Happy Hunting!

PrankT

Thanks for the responses. I'm kind of overwhelmed by the number of random items I get from the field that I'm not using whatsoever. Should I be experimenting more with crafting random stuff together?

I'm 115 hours in an still have no clue what some of the items do. You learn a lot as the game goes on, but I personally enjoy reading outside information so that I make sure to accomplish things I know I will make the game more fun for me (armors, weapons, skills, etc.).

I think part of the reason I've been let down with the online in this one is that, in 3U I was new and happy to just be online and killing things and now I know what I'm doing so I have specific quests I want to do.

Just had a great session with some randoms. We did a variety of 5* quests that has either a rathalos or rathian in them just to get rubies. I managed to get one :)

Victrix

*beard*
I think part of the reason I've been let down with the online in this one is that, in 3U I was new and happy to just be online and killing things and now I know what I'm doing so I have specific quests I want to do.

You'd probably be better served by cultivating a group of friends that play around the same time you do then - randoms are never going to be organized or focused on any specific goal, so online with them is going to be almost exclusively for just 'killing random shit'

Plus I can't imagine how awful G rank fights would be with players who were rushed there, don't even have single player finished yet, and are poorly geared/don't know their weapons/don't know the monsters.

G rank randoms in 3U weren't that bad but I think that also had to do with the ability to voice chat. Though not a lot of people made use of it the ones who did were generally awesome.

redcrayon

I was part of a team (all relatively new to high-rank, not exactly veterans) tackling pink rathian last night, and one hunter was blatantly just running around, mining and foraging rather than fighting. His first act when he finally turned up, ten minutes in, was to carve the tail rather than help the rest of us that were getting battered.

At the end we took turns beating the crap out of him so he couldn't get his carves while those of us who fought got ours.

That stuff annoys me, you can harvest to your heart's content in your own time, but if go to a room listing 'hunting big monsters', everyone benefits if you all pile in. Nobody minds if you grab the odd rare harvesting point as you run past it, but if you really need to pick up mushrooms and go fishing, there's a time and a place!

In Tri, a friend and I had someone beg us for help tackling the online final boss, Aleatron (dark dragon), only to sit in the camp the whole time! The only way to get better is to learn, if he'd have carted twice I'd understand it if he played it safe, but don't let others do the work while you sip a beer and thrn turn up expecting to carve the kill. It seems like some people want the trappings and are rushing to get better equipment, rather than wanting to learn how to hunt.

If this makes me sound horrible, to be fair I'm always signalling new players to carve tails, and healing them with wide-range- I like seeing rookie hunters piling in, and helping them get better.

Shengar

Yeah, the MH3U is great, and the online UI helped it to achieve that.

Post the room here. I've had horrible times with randoms but the times I've played with GAF its been fantastic.

You'd probably be better served by cultivating a group of friends that play around the same time you do then - randoms are never going to be organized or focused on any specific goal, so online with them is going to be almost exclusively for just 'killing random shit'

Plus I can't imagine how awful G rank fights would be with players who were rushed there, don't even have single player finished yet, and are poorly geared/don't know their weapons/don't know the monsters.

Yeah, sucks. Pretty much everyone I know in real life gives me the side-eye for even owning a 3DS so not sure it'll happen.

Oh well, still a fun game though (when I'm winning haha)

Victrix

*beard*
G rank randoms in 3U weren't that bad but I think that also had to do with the ability to voice chat. Though not a lot of people made use of it the ones who did were generally awesome.

Voice chat + console + ability to name rooms makes a big difference.

I also have a feeling MH4U is going to be a lot more popular than 3U, so the percentage of hardcore players will drop if so. I could be wrong, we'll see what the sales numbers say.

Yeah, sucks. Pretty much everyone I know in real life gives me the side-eye for even owning a 3DS so not sure it'll happen.

Oh well, still a fun game though (when I'm winning haha)

I didn't mean irl friends, online friends :D If you group with people here on GAF regularly (or elsewhere), you'll gradually build up a group of hunters you can rely on.

redcrayon

The trick with Monster Hunter is that it's not a rush to get the best gear possible and call it done- time spent learning the monsters tells in single player is never time wasted. Sure, fancy armour looks cool, but what looks even better is a hunting party that slaughters everything due to skill and knowledge. The best hunters are the ones that you can rely on to not die and to get the job done without everyone burning through their resources.

Shengar

Voice chat + console + ability to name rooms makes a big difference.
Name the room "moonshard farm" with L Nargs as it targe, and see no HR5 Randoms coming in and post their Ivory Lagiacrus urgent.

And naming room like this eases us to farm certain drops that only obtainable by caps.

PrankT

90,000 Zeni General's Arm Switch Axe?! I am not made of zeni.

I've wasted about 200k on weapons that I don't even use now! I always sell some pieces of Akantor or Ukanlos when I am desperate. Or I just farm Seregios for the millionth time looking for lenses that I will never get.

tuffy

Speaking of tackling things single-player, I just noticed that the monsters that show up in the 6 star Caravan quests when you hit HR7 are the same ones that show up in the Guild quests. It's a tailor-made for practicing on them solo before going into multiplayer.

I, for one, would rather be the "stand back everybody, I got this" hunter online than the "I have no idea what I'm doing" hunter.

I got a lil over 120 hours in and still on hr7 lol. I'm helping a buddy along that's never played a mh before but we are loving every single minute of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom