• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

I think I'm gonna try reading back through this thread to see how new/3rd gen players reacted to their first Rajang. That monster's always kinda been my 'wall' even though I was able to farm final invitation in FU. I never did beat the SSJ2 one back then.

THERE, SHENGAR. YOU HAPPY? I MADE THE DAMN SET.

zlCfzTG5uQcEzs5Zxh

I'm too lazy to go through all my charms right now to see what other ridiculous skill combinations this set can output. This is entirely too many slots to work with (and I have many decent 3 slot charms; just went with the easy 0 slot +9 attack one for now), so I'm a bit overwhelmed. However, I have been awake for about 28 hours now (haven't been playing the entire time this time), so I'm done for now.

Pbae

I was wondering if someone could help me with this but I can't get past the 6* quests even though I've finished the urgent quest where you have to take down that big sand whale monster.

Does that mean I need to do online mission now?

Alright guys, I'm trying to git gud with the Greatsword. I'm past G3, so I can make some purdy Rare 10 weapons. I'm farming up a Diablos X set for the skills, but I was wondering which GS is best?

I was wondering if someone could help me with this but I can't get past the 6* quests even though I've finished the urgent quest where you have to take down that big sand whale monster.

7* offline starts in another city. Go to Dundorma on your world map.

Alright guys, I'm trying to git gud with the Greatsword. I'm past G3, so I can make some purdy Rare 10 weapons. I'm farming up a Diablos X set for the skills, but I was wondering which GS is best?

Whichever one has the highest raw and sharpness you can make. Element and status don't mean anything for greatsword.

I don't know specific swords because I haven't touched them yet in this game but check kiranico for greatsword trees.

Scher

In order to unlock all of the 6* quests, yes, you'll need to get to at least HR7 online. However, you do not need to go online to unlock the 7* quests. Instead, go to Dundorma and there should be people to talk to there. You'll get an urgent quest to kill a crab, and that will unlock 7*.

daydream

Banned
There seems to be a MH4 shortage in Germany right now (or just in my area?), can't find it anywhere. And it's like 65 bucks on Amazon.

I decided to get the game just in time to grab the starter DLC. Hope I get lucky tomorrow.

Pbae

In order to unlock all of the 6* quests, yes, you'll need to get to at least HR7 online. However, you do not need to go online to unlock the 7* quests. Instead, go to Dundorma and there should be people to talk to there. You'll get an urgent quest to kill a crab, and that will unlock 7*.

Ok thank you guys.

I started doing gathering hall quest to rank up so I can play online.

Beginning to understand the Charge Blade more and more now.

It's interesting to think back on my progression with the weapon.

Day 1: Spam super burst as much as possible. I didn't even know about red shield (didn't watch tutorials since I wanted to see how far I could get on my own).

Day 2: Watched Gaijin Hunter's tutorial. Learn about red shield....... proceed to spam ultra burst as much as possible, only hitting with the initial impact and most of the time missing with all the ground explosions.

A few days later: Read more Gaijin Hunter's blog. Realize that I want element phial charge blades for highest possible damage and ditch all but the highest raw/sharpness impact cb available to me at that time (Gore's if I recall correctly) for use when I don't have the right element to bring.

2nd week: Learn that damage is more consistent if you super burst instead of ultra burst during red shield. Multiple super bursts in rapid succession add up to more than one ultra burst, plus you keep the 20% damage boost in axe mode.

End of 2nd week/start of 3rd week: Get seriously, truly, heavily
I mean balls deep
into guard pointing and practice on anything and everything, even when it's totally unnecessary (sorry Iodrome, Gendrome, Lagombi, Great Jaggi, etc).

Throughout 3rd week: Refine guard pointing technique. Know when to retaliate with a downward smash and when you have time for a super burst directly after the guard point.

And here we are today. Still working on it. Will never be as good as Chris, but hey, goddamn proficiency feels good.

Question for bow users. When a monster is stunned, trapped, or otherwise open for free hits, is it better to spam lvl 1 shots as fast as possible into the weak point, or do lvl 3 shots? It seems even with the reduced damage of lvl 1 shots, I can pump out so many during this time compared to lvl 3 that it would end up being more damage. Would having fast charge or not make a difference?

Question for bow users. When a monster is stunned, trapped, or otherwise open for free hits, is it better to spam lvl 1 shots as fast as possible into the weak point, or do lvl 3 shots? It seems even with the reduced damage of lvl 1 shots, I can pump out so many during this time compared to lvl 3 that it would end up being more damage. Would having fast charge or not make a difference?

It depends on what shot types your bow has, exactly. Read Gaijin Hunter's damage motion blog post in its entirety for more details, but here's the bow section from it:

Bow

“,” - next charge level

■Rapid

LV1: 12, 12, 12, (none)

LV2: 12+4, 12+4, 12+4, (none)

LV3: 12+4+3, 12+4+3, 12+4+3, 12+4+3+2

LV4: (none), 12+4+3+2, 12+4+3+2, 12+4+3+2

LV5: 12+4+3+3, 12+4+3+3, 12+4+3+3, 12+4+3+3,

■Pierce

LV1: 6x3, 6x3, (none), (none)

LV2: 6x4, 6x4, (none), (none)

LV3: 6x5, 6x5, 6x5, 6x5

LV4: (none), (none), 6x5, 6x5

LV5: (none), (none), (none), 6x5

■ Spread

LV1: 4+5+4, 4+5+4, (none), (none)

LV2: 5+6+5, 5+6+5, 5+6+5, 5+6+5,

LV3: 4+5+5+4, 4+5+5+4, 4+5+5+4, 4+5+5+4,

LV4: (none), 4+5+6+5+4, 4+5+6+5+4, 4+5+6+5+4,

Bow hit 1 …10 (13 with close coating)

Bow hit 2 …13 (17 with close coating)

jorgejjvr

Anyone up for doing some guild quests deviljho? It will be upgraded to ultra G rank soon, so it'll become Apex and give amazing gear! Anyone interested?

ID: 19-3617-8959-5979

-Alternis

Anyone up for doing some guild quests deviljho? It will be upgraded to ultra G rank soon, so it'll become Apex and give amazing gear! Anyone interested?

ID: 19-3617-8959-5979

-Alternis

I'm up for a couple. Am I able to join with me only being G2?

Edit: Damn. Your rooms fill up quick. Not surprising, but damn it any way.

I want to try and cap Molten Tigrex for some fangs but I ended up killing it. Though the quest rewards were being nice to me and ended up giving me 2 anyway.

ilium

It depends on what shot types your bow has, exactly. Read Gaijin Hunter's damage motion blog post in its entirety for more details, but here's the bow section from it:

The motion values don't really matter for bow when deciding which charge to use.
What matters is the damage bonus depending on the charge level:

First (no charge) is 40% damage
Second = 100%
Third = 150%
Forth = 170%

and the damage multipliers for which i don't have the numbers at hand right now. but basically the higher the charge level the higher the status/elemental damage.
there is really never a situation in which you don't want to use charge level 3 (150% damage)

Level Attack Element Poison Paralysis/Sleep

Lv.1  0.4   0.7    0.5   0.5

Lv.2  1.0  0.85   1.0   1.0

Lv.3  1.5   1.0    1.5   1.3

Lv.4  1.7   1.125   1.5   1.3

edit: Fast Charge gives 20% faster charge which is negligable for Charge 3 but makes a difference for Charge 4.

The motion values don't really matter for bow when deciding which charge to use.
What matters is the damage bonus depending on the charge level:

First (no charge) is 40% damage
Second = 100%
Third = 150%
Forth = 170%

and the damage multipliers for which i don't have the numbers at hand right now. but basically the higher the charge level the higher the status/elemental damage.
there is really never a situation in which you don't want to use charge level 3 (150% damage)

Ahh. I see. Listen to this person. Their character name is Artemis, after all.

Speaking of "Artemis", I streetpassed someone on my university's campus earlier also named Artemis, apparently. I was scrolling through my guild card list and saw "Artemis" "HR1" and was like "Uhh...no?"

Negative affinity isn't a big deal?
Crit draw adds 100% affinity to draw attacks, so it shouldn't matter for the most part. Also, negative affinity makes you do 75%*(affinity) of your regular damage on average, so it should be relatively easy to calculate which weapon (between two options) has a higher damage output.

A good high level GS set should have crit draw, so the negative affinity isn't an issue.

Crit draw adds 100% affinity to draw attacks, so it shouldn't matter for the most part. Also, negative affinity makes you do 75%*(affinity) of your regular damage on average, so it should be relatively easy to calculate which weapon (between two options) has a higher damage output.
Woo thanks guys. I'm gonna make the Cera then.

Dak'kon

I don't understand this game sometimes. I've just got up to Tigrex in the village quests but I'm still using Velociprey armor so figured I should upgrade to a set with Handicraft. That meant getting a Gore Tail but I've only used HH up to now so I thought I'd mess around with a S&S which I've never used before to see how easy it would be to cut his tail. I wasn't expecting to kill him since I didn't even bring any bombs even though the made the Plessy S&S. I was loving the mobility and actually cut the tail in under 5 minutes, went up to carve my Gore Tail and instead... I got a Plate. Fine. I figured I'd carry on to see how quickly I could get through the fight so I smashed his face and what do I carve from the shiny drop? Another Plate...

Don't tell me the desire sensor isn't real guys!

tl;dr Needed a Gore Tail but came out of a fight with no Tail and two Plates using a weapon I'd never used before

Prototype

Cera is the obvious answer, but I am left wondering if it will still be king due to the changes to end game meta in 4u as opposed to 3u.

the extra charge attack off an overhead slam makes affinity sets something to actually consider beyond just a niche Set. Getting unlucky with negative affinity would have more consequence now. This also means that crit draw has a slightly lower meta value, although there is no arguing that it's still one of the best GS skills in the game, and we must also take play style into account.

I find focus to have a slightly higher meta value thus far, as getting through a full charge and into a full overhead slam and the new follow up is very powerful. Having the time to get through 2 full charges when a monster is down or has an opening is huge.

I generally also like any mitigation skills for weapons that charge. HG/ear plugs and /or tremor resist can be highly valuable for opportunities to get charged hits in.

Then of course sharpness+1, is practically a must if your weapon isn't naturally at purple sharpness.

Other secondary skills would be things like Attack Up, crit eye (depending on how you play), razor sharp / or speed sharpening (depending on your GS).

Right now I mostly have been using Rouge Sedition, natural purple sharpness, innate positive affinity, little to no need to sharpen, and 1 slot. Honed for Attack it's sitting at 1448 before power charm/talon and kitchen skills.

I also like Blast weapons due to my play style from 3u. (bomb heavy) so Teo del Sol or Light Break blade or good choices as well imo, especially for monsters susceptible to blast. Having bombardier and eating for pyro and playing a bomb heavy style can be quite effective.

Finally, this isn't meant to say that Cera is a bad choice, it's not. Honed for attack my Cera is sitting at 1600+ and if the damage calculations are the same from 3u, even an anti-crit will likely still do more damage then many other end game options even if they crit. I just wanted to bring up some extra considerations because of the new mechanics that have been introduced, which potentially means new play styles, and sets.

I don't understand this game sometimes. I've just got up to Tigrex in the village quests but I'm still using Velociprey armor so figured I should upgrade to a set with Handicraft. That meant getting a Gore Tail but I've only used HH up to now so I thought I'd mess around with a S&S which I've never used before to see how easy it would be to cut his tail. I wasn't expecting to kill him since I didn't even bring any bombs even though the made the Plessy S&S. I was loving the mobility and actually cut the tail in under 5 minutes, went up to carve my Gore Tail and instead... I got a Plate. Fine. I figured I'd carry on to see how quickly I could get through the fight so I smashed his face and what do I carve from the shiny drop? Another Plate...

Don't tell me the desire sensor isn't real guys!

tl;dr Needed a Gore Tail but came out of a fight with no Tail and two Plates using a weapon I'd never used before

LOL That's a pretty great story. Desire sensor is jacked up.
I was in the same situation a few weeks ago. Went online to do some HR2/HR3 quests, and people kept posting the Gore urgent. I don't need any parts at all from Gore, but after 4 quests I walked away with 6 plates. One quest, I got THREE.
They're still just sitting in inventory collecting dust...

Dak'kon

LOL That's a pretty great story. Desire sensor is jacked up.
I was in the same situation a few weeks ago. Went online to do some HR2/HR3 quests, and people kept posting the Gore urgent. I don't need any parts at all from Gore, but after 4 quests I walked away with 6 plates. One quest, I got THREE.
They're still just sitting in inventory collecting dust...

I was half expecting to carve another from the body - three in one quest is crazy. I don't have a use for the Plates either *shrug*

ilium

Ahh. I see. Listen to this person. Their character name is Artemis, after all.

Speaking of "Artemis", I streetpassed someone on my university's campus earlier also named Artemis, apparently. I was scrolling through my guild card list and saw "Artemis" "HR1" and was like "Uhh...no?"

Must've been my evil twin...

I never get streetpassed on my campus. :(

ilium

So what would be better damage wise: atk up L and critical eye+1 or atk up S and critical eye+3? I'm using a hammer with that set.

Attack Up (L) vs. Critical Eye +3:
You might be asking yourself, which is more powerful to have, Critical Eye+3 or Attack Up (L). The answer is simple. If the Effective Power of your weapon after all the boosts is less than 260, Attack Up (L) is stronger. If the Effective Power is over 260, then Critical Eye +3 has the potential to be stronger.
Put in terms you are used to, if your Attack Power (shown) is less than the below, always prefer Attack Up (L) to Critical Eye +3:

GS: 1248
LS: 858
SNS/DS: 364
Hammer: 1352
HHorn/S.Axe: 1196
Lance/Glance: 598
LBG: 338
HBG: 385 (w/ limit remover: 442)
Bow: 312

source

edit: i just realized this is for MH3, so take it with a grain of salt.

Dayum, just made my Kushala X set.

Sheathing
Critical Element
Focus
Evasion +1
Heat Cancel

I still have 10 slots to work with, I'll see if I can gem in Sharpness+1 or Critical Draw.

Cera is the obvious answer, but I am left wondering if it will still be king due to the changes to end game meta in 4u as opposed to 3u.

the extra charge attack off an overhead slam makes affinity sets something to actually consider beyond just a niche Set. Getting unlucky with negative affinity would have more consequence now. This also means that crit draw has a slightly lower meta value, although there is no arguing that it's still one of the best GS skills in the game, and we must also take play style into account.

I find focus to have a slightly higher meta value thus far, as getting through a full charge and into a full overhead slam and the new follow up is very powerful. Having the time to get through 2 full charges when a monster is down or has an opening is huge.

I generally also like any mitigation skills for weapons that charge. HG/ear plugs and /or tremor resist can be highly valuable for opportunities to get charged hits in.

Then of course sharpness+1, is practically a must if your weapon isn't naturally at purple sharpness.

Other secondary skills would be things like Attack Up, crit eye (depending on how you play), razor sharp / or speed sharpening (depending on your GS).

Right now I mostly have been using Rouge Sedition, natural purple sharpness, innate positive affinity, little to no need to sharpen, and 1 slot. Honed for Attack it's sitting at 1448 before power charm/talon and kitchen skills.

I also like Blast weapons due to my play style from 3u. (bomb heavy) so Teo del Sol or Light Break blade or good choices as well imo, especially for monsters susceptible to blast. Having bombardier and eating for pyro and playing a bomb heavy style can be quite effective.

Finally, this isn't meant to say that Cera is a bad choice, it's not. Honed for attack my Cera is sitting at 1600+ and if the damage calculations are the same from 3u, even an anti-crit will likely still do more damage then many other end game options even if they crit. I just wanted to bring up some extra considerations because of the new mechanics that have been introduced, which potentially means new play styles, and sets.
Wow, that's a hell of a response. Thanks for the help!

Randdalf

I beat Gore Magala for the first time yesterday, felt good. Now I'm struggling through my first Rathalos fight: shoulda brought more potions!

Good news! I got my molten tigrex time down to 12-13 minutes thanks to my plesi dual blades. Problem is haven't been able to cap him or break his face >:

jorgejjvr

Anyone up for some ultra G rank quests? I'm doing deviljho. Currently you need to be G3 to join but after one quest you'll need at least a bronze crown. Anyone interested?

-Alternis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom