• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been playing a lot of Sword & Shield lately after coming from (mostly) LBG, Hunting Horn and Long Sword. The ability to block is just.... wow. It's amazing. So freakin amazing.
Blocking a Rath fireball or a Gore purplecrap bullet is just the most satisfying thing ever.

An ultra-aggressive creature that is rarely sighted and seldom survived. Survivors report it exhibits a strange attack. The Rajang is said to be a loner, and this isolated life has made it difficult to pin down its territorial leanings.

Rarely sighted my undies! Thing shows up everywhere.

I know! I think the guild needs to look a bit harder to see the truth.

ilium

Is there a prerequisite for g3 akantor and rusted kushala or am i just being unlucky with the quest draws?

I beat gogmazios already..

Parshias7

I have made it to G Crown and I've only seen a Rajang in a quest he wasn't supposed to be in a single time. Never seen a Deviljho outside of his quests, either.

Is there a prerequesite for g3 akantor and rusted kushala or am i just being unlucky with the quest draws?

I know Akantor is from the second scroll. I assume the other one might be in a scroll as well.

I have made it to G Crown and I've only seen a Rajang in a quest he wasn't supposed to be in a single time. Never seen a Deviljho outside of his quests, either.

I know Akantor is from the second scroll. I assume the other one might be in a scroll as well.

Wanna switch quest luck then?

jorgejjvr

There's a huge Fatalis sized hole in the list of monsters I have hunted. Anyone want to help out and then do some Special G rank quests or 126+ GQ maybe?

ID: 08-4568-6889-7453

-Alternis

Bowgun users!

Is Dragon S worth it? I'm thinking about making stuff from the Raven Do line of LBGs since it has Pierce and Dragon, but I've heard mixed reviews about how Dragon S works. Any advice?

YESSSSSSS, I did it! I got the perfect charm! Guard Up +7 and three slots. It lets me use the Uka-Uka-U armor to get:

Guard +2
Guard Boost
Sharpness +1
Mind's Eye
Weakness Exploit
Tremor Res

Without using any slots on a weapon, so I don't have to mind what weapon I use on what quest. No more charm farming for me!

Nice. I'm going for that set next. I've got a pretty awesome guard boost charm myself. Should be able to get all those skills plus Critical Eye+1 if I don't get rid of demonic blessing.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Anyone up for some arena in the next 30 mins? I'm trying to do... gulp, Color Code. I have 1 Ace Token and I need 5 more.

Let's do it... please.

upandaway

Anyone got tips for Kecha Wacha arena? S-Rank is 4 minutes and me and my friend just can't do it, we tried everything.

In 3U we S-Ranked every arena first try pretty much. This is so freaking hard. I had some flawless runs with the IG not even hit 4:30, just don't know what to do anymore.

Boogiepop

So, I'm just kind of moving along at my own pace, trying to be pretty thorough and wipe everything out in each rank single player wise before moving on (as there are unlocks based on that far as I can tell, same as 3U was, and I don't really feel like back-tracking to a ton of low rank quests later, much as that maaaaaaay make more sense). I've almost finished all the low ranks and just started high rank (just need to take out a Tigrex and that Rathian+Rathalos double team, though I feel like I'd probably find some more rank 6 quests if I checked around the various villages, since that stuff is empty!)

But yeah, long story short, what's a good starting armor for High Rank? I've been using the Tetsucabra stuff and haven't had any problem so far, but things do pretty nasty damage to me in High Rank. Like, I haven't wiped yet but that's going to be an issue soon. Using Charge Blade if that helps, but I just want something to get me by as I keep plowing through.

Why is this bad?

I assume he's referring to getting tripped over and over.

So, I'm just kind of moving along at my own pace, trying to be pretty thorough and wipe everything out in each rank single player wise before moving on (as there are unlocks based on that far as I can tell, same as 3U was, and I don't really feel like back-tracking to a ton of low rank quests later, much as that maaaaaaay make more sense). I've almost finished all the low ranks and just started high rank (just need to take out a Tigrex and that Rathian+Rathalos double team, though I feel like I'd probably find some more rank 6 quests if I checked around the various villages, since that stuff is empty!)

But yeah, long story short, what's a good starting armor for High Rank? I've been using the Tetsucabra stuff and haven't had any problem so far, but things do pretty nasty damage to me in High Rank. Like, I haven't wiped yet but that's going to be an issue soon. Using Charge Blade if that helps, but I just want something to get me by as I keep plowing through.

If you're just looking for something to get by, then high rank Jaggi, Velociprey, or even Tetsucabra again have been popular with other starting high rank GAFfers. I went with Tetsucabra S, myself.

Boogiepop

I assume he's referring to getting tripped over and over.

If you're just looking for something to get by, then high rank Jaggi, Velociprey, or even Tetsucabra again have been popular with other starting high rank GAFfers. I went with Tetsucabra S, myself.

Awesome. Think I'll look into Velociprey since that sounds easy enough and I wouldn't mind a change of pace over my old armor. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't any really obvious choice ones, like I remember Wroggi stuff being in 3U.

jorgejjvr

As a GS main, I actually like having at least 1 IG in the room. Helps bring the monster down for more free charges.

Yeah, I feel variety helps a lot. IG for them mounts, GS for those charges and damage, and man there aren't many Hunting Horn users but when they come they sure help out a lot with those buffs. A varied team is always a good thing!

Edit: yes, feelers are his horns, he has to be in rage mode/frenzy

Kandinsky

Thanks guys, I'm going crazy here because it says on kiranico it's a 100% drop and I'm pretty sure I've been breaking it every time in the last 3 hunts and nothing, wth D:

Boogiepop

Man, just got a big old chunk of new quests in low rank to do. Though I've already put a lot into it, I'm thinking I'm going to give up my focus on completionism as I go along and just start progressing naturally now that I'm in high rank.

Is there a decent list of quests that actually actively give you something in one way or another, though? Like, the ones that upgrade your food or anything else?

Man, just got a big old chunk of new quests in low rank to do. Though I've already put a lot into it, I'm thinking I'm going to give up my focus on completionism as I go along and just start progressing naturally now that I'm in high rank.

Is there a decent list of quests that actually actively give you something in one way or another, though? Like, the ones that upgrade your food or anything else?

every quest has a tab on the left side. green herb is gathering quest. red sword is a hunt. purple shock trap is a capture quest.

there's other tabs that can show up, these show it rewards something special. white bones is a material unlock. blue fish is a food upgrade.

tragic

Developer

Depending on your comfort level, you can pretty much use whatever until G-Rank. I used LR Tetsucabra until like 2 quests before Urgent to G-Rank simply because I ended up having materials I needed to make a HR set that I felt like investing in. IMO, Armor skills don't really matter until quite a bit later, but that definitely depends on your comfort level with your weapon and the combat pace of the game in general. Of course, Armor Skills can make a difference at any rank, but at Low and even early to mid High, there's so much leeway in difficulty that they shouldn't make or break you.

That being said, I DID pump up every piece to max defense for the level I was at. The slight increase of defense with Tetsu somewhat made up for the lower overall defense. But yea, It caps out much earlier than HR (and GR) stuff until you get into the end-game armor spheres... where they more or less become equal (usually about a 50-75 armor diff at end-game max... but by that point, you'll be running better armor anyway... ones with skills best-suited to your weapon/playstyle).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom