• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Now this is dumb, but I seem to have skipped an important mission for Wycoon trading. HR Dalamadur, I've been fighting Shah all day so I think this should be a relative breeze at this point.

34-2653-3829-1806

I'm actually on call for work and literally have to call a student's parents to tell them that their daughter is going to the er for alcohol poisoning right now. Random. Brb.

For MH it's not a big deal considering there's only functionality for 2 buttons (ZR and ZL do the same thing as R and L)

You can change that you know.
My ZL switches targets (fairly useful) whilst ZR brings up the Chat shortcuts (very useful, I talk a lot in fights haha). I think there are 4 different options for them in Settings.

I'm back if there's any chance people are still willing to help :)

Edit: Actually, I'm pretty happy to do anything at this point. I don't wanna be a pain in the ass.

Wolfe

The thing is the C-stick has one of the worst analogue feedback ever from my experience. The C-stick is more or less an eraser stuck into a circular hole whereas the CPP is the exact same slide-pad as the one on the left side of the 3ds.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with everything you just said. My problem is I'm not a fan of the mechanics of the slide pad even though I understand it's necessity due to the clamshell design. I've just never liked the feeling of pulling as opposed to pushing like with typical thumb sticks.

That said I'm not super into the new nub but I find it the lesser of two evils :p

Edit: thanks for the reminder about changing the controls in xenoblade up above, there's so much to learn in that game I forget about simple stuff like that.

I've recently hit the 5-star quests, and I'm kinda getting bored. I've been using the Velocidrome Armor set for what feels like forever, and I've had an Accelerated Hammer for equally long. It looks like I can finally upgrade my weapon soon (I just killed the Seltas Queen), but I'm not sure I even care to. It'll look the same, won't it?

Furthermore, the game's side systems are starting to overwhelm me: cat quests, Sunsung Isle expansion, ingredients, etc. None of it is jumping out at me as being especially important, but I'm sure I'm missing something.

Can anyone help me get the fire back? I really want to go the distance with this game.

edit: I've been playing for nearly 40 hours.

Prototype

I've recently hit the 5-star quests, and I'm kinda getting bored. I've been using the Velocidrome Armor set for what feels like forever, and I've had an Accelerated Hammer for equally long. It looks like I can finally upgrade my weapon soon (I just killed the Seltas Queen), but I'm not sure I even care to. It'll look the same, won't it?

Furthermore, the game's side systems are starting to overwhelm me: cat quests, Sunsung Isle expansion, ingredients, etc. None of it is jumping out at me as being especially important, but I'm sure I'm missing something.

Can anyone help me get the fire back? I really want to go the distance with this game.

Rush to G Rank, play online, then everything you do won't be worthless. At Grank take your time. Everything will fall into place, and develop a flow of checking your farm, fishing, ect.

Shengar

Rush to G Rank, play online, then everything you do won't be worthless. At Grank take your time. Everything will fall into place, and develop a flow of checking your farm, fishing, ect.
If you play HR quite long enough, you don't have to revisit HR monsters for materials.

Mzo

Should I stop messing with single player entirely, then? How do I get to G-Rank?

Ranking up is the same single player and online. You do the quests that are designated key quests which will trigger an urgent. Finishing the urgent promotes you to the next level of quests. Repeat.

No use wasting time doing every single quest ever unless you need specific monster parts. You can always come back and fill in the quest blanks when you're stronger.

Sweet. Sorry for the wait though, just spent sometime tinkering with my Regios LBG set
56-6850-6765-0376

Wish I could stay longer, but good hunts
besides when I died to pink rathian poison because I forgot antidotes
. I got a skymerald and a black grav pallium.

Tom_Cody

Based on your comments I'm assuming this is your first Monster Hunter? It is mine at least. And that you haven't already been playing online?

I played up through 9-star offline (caravan) before I started experimenting with the online (guild) missions. I'm personally happy that I did it that way. I was able to learn the flow of combat and the detail of the game's systems before playing with other people. But now that I have dipped my toes into online, it's hard for me to not consider that the main mode going forward.

I generally prefer to play games offline, but I have enjoyed playing online Monster Hunter with randoms quite a bit. If you haven't tried it yet, my advice would be to just pick a random room and just join in on whatever they are doing. If you are totally new to online, make sure you choose a room of the apropriate hunter rank (for a beginer that would be HR1-3), that it is listed as "in guild hall" and not "on mission" (this just means that they are about to start a mission instead of on a mission), and that it has 2-3 people in the room already. And then just play whatever missions the other people are doing (once they choose a mission, you have to sign up for it on the board next to the exit door, and then go to the exit door).

Once you do that a bit, you will get a sense for the dynamics of those play sessions and how/when you should ask to select your own missions. This relates to "key" quests versus "urgent" quests, but I wouldn't even worry about that to start with. For me, playing online is more about -playing- than about strict advancement. You are going to end up repeating missions, but that's ok since missions go super fast online and there is always a use for extra materials.

Regarding needing motivation to push forward, I have personally always been motivated by getting better gear. Having watched a lot of tutorials online and having been exposed to advanced players, it has always been painfully clear that there is better gear waiting right beyond the corner. I have always been two steps ahead of myself regarding what monsters I am waiting to fight so I can craft their bows and/or armor. Another benefit of playing online is that you will be exposed to everyone else's equipment, which can help to point you in the right direction.

Other general advice:

The various game systems come to matter more as you advance further into the game. And none of them are individually as complicated as they might seem. I wouldn't worry about any of them until you feel you need to or until you run into a difficulty wall.

Combining items will become useful if you come to use items on quests. You will want to build up an ecconomy in the game to keep yourself stocked. But, again, ignore that for now if that isn't your play style. Though I would assume that you would want to be crafting mega potions at the very least.

The cat stuff can be useful if you want to put time into it, but you can also larely ignore it. Having spent a lot of time offline, it was very helpful for me to have built up a set of palicoes to auto-heal me (healing is a pain for archers). If you're interested in this, you can google "first-stringers"/palicoes for info.

Armor skills didn't really matter for me until high rank (caravan 7 and up). I would just pay attention to what skills your armor has so you can start to learn about the concept in general. Like these other systems, you don't really need to worry about theme early on, and you will learn about them organically as you play.

One last comment: don't be afraid to experiment with other weapons even this far into the game. The Hammer might just not be right for you.

NewGame

Banned
Man there are a lot of french mon huners.

my entire public game sessions for the past couple of weeks:

rh8uM6Y.jpg
/extremeracsism

Shengar

Wish I could stay longer, but good hunts
besides when I died to pink rathian poison because I forgot antidotes
. I got a skymerald and a black grav pallium.
Well, if you noticed it, I tanked Pinky poison too because of the same reason lol
I only got Rathian Mantle, that Black Gravios refused to give me anything worthwhile despite being a dick.

Also lol at that image above

Well, if you noticed it, I tanked Pinky poison too because of the same reason lol
I only got Rathian Mantle, that Black Gravios refused to give me anything worthwhile despite being a dick.

Also lol at that image above

Yeah, the start of that brute+black grav was brutal. I always switch to my guard boost set for black grav or apex grav because there is SOOOOOOOOO much goddamn gas explosion happening for guard pointing.

Shengar

Yeah, the start of that brute+black grav was brutal. I always switch to my guard boost set for black grav or apex grav because there is SOOOOOOOOO much goddamn gas explosion happening for guard pointing.

Black Gravios is bad, but it couldn't be worse than bomber palico right? lol

Shengar

Is that worth it by the way? Like for when I bow. Do they do decent damage?

And yeah, your palico was fucking crazy. I thought it was you using explosive ammo at first.

I haven't track kill time on that yet, but I think monster's part break faster. Plus, it's hilarious to see your angered palivoe bring out huge bomb then stand between you and a charging monster. Of course the monster is staggered afterward.

Don't worry, I've also experienced that first hand.

/extremeracsism

Hahahaha oh my God, I was just talking to brother about this an hour ago!
So many French hunters, so many pardons lol.

I'm quite partial to 'lo he montado' too, been randomly saying it all week.

Wolfe

You can change that you know.
My ZL switches targets (fairly useful) whilst ZR brings up the Chat shortcuts (very useful, I talk a lot in fights haha). I think there are 4 different options for them in Settings.

My mistake I thought you were taking about XB for some reason lol, either way thanks as I never think to mess with the controls in mh since I don't have much issue with them. That doesn't mean I can't find a setup I prefer more by experimenting with different setups though.

On another note I don't even know how many times I've killed zinogre now butt I still have yet to get a single skyemerald. Just wanna make Nargacuga armor

/extremeracsism
dead.gif

My mistake I thought you were taking about XB for some reason lol, either way thanks as I never think to mess with the controls in mh since I don't have much issue with them. That doesn't mean I can't find a setup I prefer more by experimenting with different setups though.

On another note I don't even know how many times I've killed zinogre now butt I still have yet to get a single skyemerald. Just wanna make Nargacuga armor
Have you tried the quest A Colorful Feast? The one that gives the star knight armor das both Zin and Sergeios and they drop their rares like candy. I'm still sitting on 6 Skys right now from it.

You uh wanna share that mission maybe?

That armor looks so cool. :C

If I had it I would but I'm sure there's a few people here who do. Meanwhile, my Palico team totally dominated Dalamadur just now with 2 blockers, 2 yellow boomerangs and 1 reward reaper. Managed to make almost the full Olympian set, just need 3 more scraps for the lance.

Top Bottom